Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Famethrowa posted:

Hope I didn't mess up my chance for making money from surveys by putting my gender as "other: dragon" :vd:

Some maybe? Hearsay has it that women tend to get more surveys than men. And I doubt any corporations will target surveys at dragons.

But the main thing is to go places with your phone, and to be consistent (and honest) with your answers. Google WILL send surveys just to check if you are lying/a bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
FYI, the two tales of Illyria games (fallen knight, beyond the iron wall) are on sale currently. They're like a cross between an early final fantasy battle system and an Oregon trail resource management system, but with a campaign and a ton of random events. I really like them. Also, they are one of the few good RPGs I've played that are android exclusive, if that matters to people.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Should they be played in order?

Ish? The stories aren't really connected and the second one takes place like 30 years after the first, but there are a handful of characters in both (mostly some party members from 1 have eventual cameos in 2).

So while they are both worth playing, I guess you wouldn't really miss That much playing out of order.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Present posted:

This Tales of Illyria game is really good. How should I level my guys in it?

Str does weight (for heavy armor) and damage, Dex does speed (super important everyone needs this) and to hit, int does spell effectiveness and extra skill points maybe? Only casters need a bunch of int.

For me, front line dudes should get either counter, if using a shield or berserk if using a two handed weapon. Archers (if any) should get the archer version of berserk, I think it's called flurry?
Essential spells are heal (on at least two casters), ice (damage and slow? Yes please) and haste. Maybe bless and curse and some other damage spell if you have spots open.

Other than that, try to get everyone on a horse if possible and just be prudent and careful with money and supplies; equipment is hugely important, and the best quality stuff (exquisite or legendary) is super expensive.

Edit: strength also increases hp, so everyone should get at least some of that too.

vmdvr fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 22, 2015

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Seconding this, or third or whatever.

There's lots there for a dollar - perhaps as well there should be for the 1.04 GB of space it will take up on your device.

But I missed the message on how to speed up travel and haven't managed to figure it out on my own. Help?

The status bar at the bottom, with the horse that shows how far you are from the next town has a little bar that you can drag. Left is regular speed, right is fast. I think fast may have drawbacks though? Like either you use more supplies, or maybe it impacts morale, or something. I'm not sure because I just set it near regular and left it there.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
The genuinely awesome Android version of King of Dragon Pass is 50% off right now. Pick it up if you haven't, its worth every penny even at full price.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
King of Dragon Pass is the best ~$10 game on Android. It has no iap, requires no Internet (after it boots once to download extra data) and is awesome. Everyone should play it.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Angrymog posted:

I've got just over £9 in Surveybux, any recommended games?

I do like RPGs and am tempted by some of the Final Fantasys, but which ones are good ports?

edit: I am tempted to just buy one of the good DS emulators.

There's only one good DS one: drastic.
Don't bother with anything less.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Drunk Tomato posted:

There are two Love Wolf apps, "Joe Dever's Lone Wolf" and "Lone Wolf Saga". Which is the one I want?

Lone wolf saga is the original book series, ported to android. Joe Dever's is a new, more phone game-y adaptation of one story's worth of content, set in the same world as the books.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is XCOM still a good play on Android, namely a Nexus 6? Got 10 google bux and I've had it wishlisted forever.

Its the full Xcom. On a tablet/phone. But with no mods, because it's on a tablet/phone. So either you think "it's the full game, but portable, that's awesome!" or you think "Xcom with a touch interface and possibly uneven and battery killing performance, ugh." I'm more like the former, but YMMV.
Either way, $10 is a steal for that game, assuming you'll actually play it. Xcom is awesome.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Tales of Illyria is a solid choice, though not the prettiest game you'll ever play on your mobile. It costs about a dollar, there is some IAP though it is just there to make the game easier or to throw some bucks at the creator. There are a couple of sequels as well.

They are big games, both in install size and world size. I think they can be played offline as well, I don't really remember since it has been a while since I've played. But since there is a new one, I might have to revisit.

They can absolutely be played offline. But it's a HUGE initial download when you first run the game - like almost a gig. On the plus side, you can choose to save your gig of game data in a shared directory where all three games can see it, so you only have to download it once.

I haven't really played the third game much yet (been distracted/busy), but I can vouch for the first two being pretty awesome, if a little on the difficult side when starting out.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

apokaladle posted:

King of Dragon Pass is 50% off, which is $4.99 in the US. It's also been updated with new scenes!

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I started playing Battle Station Harbinger from the Humble Bundle. It's a pretty nice space game... You jump around like FTL, but there aren't a ton of things to do at each spot. The combat is pretty decent, though.

I tend to get these bundles and then barely play any of them, but this one seems pretty good.

Both of these games are awesome, and are no IAP, no stamina/powergems, no F2P bullshit. You buy good game, you get good game. More people should buy both of these games. Especially King of Dragon Pass.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Moreau posted:

I've really enjoyed King of Dragon Pass; Sorcery and Joe Devers Lone Wolf recently. Are there any other story-style games like those that are worth picking up?

Play the old school lone wolf games:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GDVGames.LoneWolfBiblio

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Thundercracker posted:

Is fishing supposed to be reslly hard in Stardew Valley? Cuz it is on the phone.

Fishing is very very hard even on pc. By design, apparently, the dev wanted at least one super challenging bit in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Away all Goats posted:

I picked up Stardew Valley and yeah, the tap controls are surprisingly good. Combat is really inelegant but manageable.

I have to say though, the lowlight/dark areas are REALLY loving dark. I actually have had to abort expeditions in the mine because I literally can't find the stairs down to the next level despite pickaxing every single rock I could actually see.

This is a little bit by design. You're supposed to find/make and drop torches as you go in those areas.