Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Casual Googling told me that 150 rads was barely enough to make him sick, and definitely wouldn't kill him for at least a couple weeks. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahahaha I just reached the end of one path in Lifeline. Taylor's last words:

no offense but your advice is terrible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ Alpha Bear is too loving good. And cute.

Also that Monsters Ate My Cake free game of the week is good and cute.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chinook posted:

It's only a matter of time before someone gets "struggling toddler" in that and it gets posted to Fox News as Asian game developers trying to corrupt our youth.

I forgot to save it, but last night I got "Rodent: It's what's for dinner!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In my defense, when I said that, I hadn't finished Lifeline yet. Though I wouldn't say the writing is "bad", it strikes me as being aimed at the young adult market. The protagonist is authentically a dumb grad student. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alphabears uses a weird dictionary, because it doesn't take "June" but it does take "jun" which is only a word in Korean as far as I know. I've found that if you randomly tap on a few letters there's about a 10% chance it will tell you that it totally is a word.

Though I think the funniest word I've used so far is "scutes".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FredMSloniker posted:

I just found out that you can't replay previous chapters in Alphabears, which means that you can, apparently, miss collecting bears forever. Which kinda sucks.

Source or speculation? That seems like a really stupid design flaw. My gut feeling is that you have a chance for literally any bear in the game when you play the "400 coin" battles.

e: and I thought "scutes" was funny because I thought that's how you spell the word that you would use like this: "My dog's anal glands itch, so he scutes across the carpet a lot" :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hooah posted:

Speaking of Alphabear, what are the two currencies for? If they explained that, I must've missed it.

Honey just lets you play the normal games (timed and nontimed). Coins should be hoarded for the "400 coin treasure hunt" stages. Never use Coins to "wake up" bears, just do something else.

$5 for infinite honey sort of translates into $5 for infinite coins since you always get at least 5 coins per game, and sometimes get up to 40 or 50? I dunno. I just got 50 for gaining a level in Devil Bear, but then got only 5 for gaining a level with Mummy Bear :iiam:

e: oh I think you get more coins if you get a high score, so you could probably game the system by doing lovely and then doing slightly better each time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

New Leaf posted:

I think it warns you at some point that you can never go back so don't advance until you're ready.

gently caress, I'm on Chapter 3. Is there a way to know when you've gotten all bears from a zone?

I wouldn't mind starting over, I guess. It's not like I've paid for Infinite Honey yet. (I was just about to :v: )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BobTheJanitor posted:

Outside of the basic scrabble gameplay, the only metagame they've got is bear collection. You'd think they'd want to make it obvious which bears are in which chapters and try to encourage a pokemon catch 'em all desire so players want to buy honey/coins to try to pick up missing bears.

There is a way to tell, I think, it's just never pointed out to you.

If you view the collection, they're arranged in order of zone. And it's usually obvious which zone contains which kind of bears (scary zone contains Devil and Mummy, for example).

I started over and got the two I missed in zone 1 (Panda and Skinny). I'm glad I figured it out before I had like a level 100 bear or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I restarted Alphabear in order to make sure I get all the bears before fighting the bosses, but I can't seem to get Viking Bear from Chapter 2. Can someone tell me I'm remembering things wrong and that one is actually in Chapter 3 so I can stop going insane?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm pretty sure viking bear is in chapter 2 and you're just unlucky. Took me forever to get werebear for some reason too. There should be an information thing in on thr rop of the screen you can click on the bear selection screen that tells you what bears you can get for that level.

Literally got him right after I posted. Got him from a Silver egg, the first Silver egg I've gotten. Since Viking is a Common, I'm guessing there's some dumb system in play where Gold eggs don't give Common bears often; they just keep leveling up the three Rare Bears I already have.

Got Ninja Bear from the 400-coin battle. +15 seconds to timed stages. :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The devs of Alphabear gave everyone 400 free coins, improved the daily challenge design, and added a way to go back to previous chapters.

They also said all of it in a really nice, well written thank you message. I think they might be the beary best developers out there :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Meatwave posted:

Alphabear is great for teaching kids how to read and write, except when you have 5 letters left on a perfect game and they are UNCTY. I swear that the devs made it so that the letters that will help you spell terrible words are more likely to drop.

Can confirm this happens to me all the drat time. The letter generation is far from random, and sometimes you're playing "guess what obscure word the engine decided to give you the letters for". Probably my only complaint about the game.

e: but in that case you could do "CUT" and then "NY" probably

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Julet Esqu posted:

Well, that's a relief. I could not get my bear to shut up about loam last night no matter how many times I reloaded. Who the hell cares about loam when there's a C-bomb lying right there?

I just wish that when you hit the "refresh" button that it picked new words. It clearly only picks about 5 of the words you used per run. If it picked from the entire pool every time you hit Refresh it would come up with funny ones worth posting a lot more often. Then again maybe that's the point, the devs wanted it to feel special when you actually hit a funny one.

e: I drive by a Home Depot almost every day, and it never triggers a survey. I have Location turned on and everything :iiam:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

the littlest prince posted:

Please, tell us more about every individual survey you got. We want all the minutiae.

It's better than pages of friend codes :shobon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

New megarule? If you're just posting a referral code or guild request, you must also post a picture of a robot playing a game.

This morning Alphabears gave me "All hail the Hypno-Toads!" and I hit Refresh before I could save it. :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The original Hero Quest was amazing, I wish someone would do a straight port of that to Android, just the original boxed levels and the little "expansions" that added like the Elf and Dwarf classes and had you fight the Lich King or whatever. Give it asynchronous multiplayer and :allears:

edit: why in holy hell is there not a Cosmic Encounter for phones

precision fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 21, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any particularly good mathy puzzle games around, vaguely similar to SquareLogic or Hexcells? Basically something without a lose state where I can stare at a bunch of numbers blanky for a few minutes at a time. Free or Pay is fine, as long as it works okay on a small-ish screen.

Sixcells is a functional clone of Hexcells and the guy who made Hexcells gave it his blessing. I haven't personally tried it (I got way burned out on Hexcells because I played all three games in a row).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

New Leaf posted:

People are going to cry if you post about that here, join us in our Anime subforum cave where we can be DBZ nerds together: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732619&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Chinook posted:

Yeah dude. That poo poo is for kids. This thread is for posting a bunch of tired screenshots of bears saying dirty things.

Personally I don't mind scrolling past :mordin: about DBZ Game Strategy, it's when people post literally just "here's my friend code", at a certain point it just makes sense to make a thread for it. It's not like SA has an upper limit on threads or something.

At least Alphabear screenshots have the potential to be funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vykk.Draygo posted:

A commander keen port for Android would be pretty great though.

Those games really don't hold up well, honestly.

I would love to see the Kroz games on Android though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

A theory is that Google is using the surveys to improve their picture identification algorithms, which helps their Photo App, and their Catchpha service. I got one that showed three pictures and said "which one has meat in it" and none of them had meat. Well, one was a person, so I picked that one.

You hosed up, that survey is to identify the secret cannibal cartel in America.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have the most fun with Mazebert when I'm intentionally ignoring what the cards do and just build the wackiest poo poo I can.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Adept Nightingale posted:

In general I find Kemco to make RPGMaker-quality games with RPGMaker-quality writing, so it really depends on how tolerant you are of really generic 16-bit style JRPGs.

I'm 100% convinced they've managed to make a program that just takes random JRPG words and concepts and makes games out of them, forever.

I mean the names of the games alone...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the new Kingdom Rush game good? The one that's space marines or whatever?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd be surprised if this hasn't come up yet, but Night of Full Moon is a shockingly great card/RPG game that's totally free (you have to pay a buck each for any extra classes you want to unlock but the base class is fine, it's just less complex than the others)

It has a lot in common with Slay the Spire and Guild of Dungeoneering and has a really cute art style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Much like Wandering Night is a carbon copy of Slay the Spire, Night of the Full Moon is a direct rip off Dream Quest. It's not bad, but that because Dream Quest is awesome.

Sadly, DQ is iOS or Steam and not Android, but I'd get it off steam before I give a buck to these weird ripoff developers.

I mean, Night of Full Moon has much better artwork. Unless they stole that from some other game? And DQ appears to have a completely different map/dungeon system as well?

Eh whatever, I'm still recommending it :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Will do!

What game was the Patient Zero for deck building roguelikes? I kinda can't believe Slay the Spire is popular enough to have inspired all these games with the same general mechanics

Oh and talking of Guild of Dungeoneering it's on android now and it owns harder than ever after the expansions added Ice Cream Monk and Pirate Stuff

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah iPhone exclusive games can eat all the dicks

I somehow forgot that I bought Adventure Bar Story awhile ago and I'm psyched to play the hell out of it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm trying real hard to enjoy Final Fantasy Record Keeper but these goddamn games just have way too much complicated poo poo going on constantly and it wears me down

Back to my 11th replay of the Kingdom Rush series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Kairosoft soccer manager games are really really good, better than their usual fare

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

Pixel Puzzle Collection is a picross game with Konami stuff that's apparently completely free except for ads.

Can confirm this is a really good picross game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

Metal....Gear? [Does it have Metal Gears?] - Snake

Haven't seen any yet but with hundreds of puzzles it would definitely be an odd thing to leave out. One thing that's cool is that there's no set order to the puzzles, it just gives you a random one of the difficulty you're on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Trastion posted:

There is an ad at the bottom of the screen which isn't very bad as it is out of the way but after a lot of the puzzles when it goes back to the main screen to pick a new one it will pop up a huge add in the center right where you need to tap to get a new puzzle.

The current ads I am seeing are for PES Pro Evolution Soccer.

I am not running any ad blocker or anything tho so maybe that is why you don't see them.

If you tap the screen immediately after finishing a puzzle it will cancel the loading of that ad. At least on my phone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm at 11%, have done 3 bosses and a few mini boss puzzles, and have only seen one Castlevania puzzle :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tunga posted:

drat, got hyped for this Picross game you're all playing but it's not available in the UK.

It's really weird because when I downloaded it, it had less than 500 total downloads. It's like they accidentally released it early or something. When picking language the options are "Japanese" and "Other" but the Other turns out to be very well translated English.

:iiam:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do the Konami Picross puzzles top out at 3 star difficulty? I'm at 23% and been getting nothing but 3* for a while

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I haven't had to use a single hint yet, the puzzles are really well designed.

I just looked at the Collection though and there are a LOT of Boss Puzzles, not looking forward to hitting the wall of having nothing but those left with a gd 4 hour timer on them

I've got 5 pieces of one of the Boss pictures and I'm 99% certain it's a picture of Bomberman DJ'ing lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've started getting some pretty tricky puzzles on Konami but nothing I've had to think more than 3 logic steps ahead for yet. That's the point at which picross starts to be more stressful than fun for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Push El Burrito posted:

I played Dungeon Maker and it was fun but I hit a wall fairly early and suddenly it wasn't fun. Are there any other games like that where you run through things until you die and then you unlock stuff and run through it again, but that doesn't take hours for a single unlock that might not even help you? I checked the play store and most of them are dungeon crawler type things where you have to tap everywhere you wanna go and that just ain't in my interest right now.

Desktop Dungeons? I mean you still have to tap everywhere but the dungeons are short