Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Finally realized this was a thing a couple days ago and got caught up this morning. Normally I don't read/watch two LPs while they're in progress from the same person in a row, but the things people were saying about this game in the last thread had me convinced that I had to see this.

Also, what is with item names having question marks around them after you've synthesized them? Did they gently caress up in the localization and forget to include some punctuation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Argas posted:

It's funny/weird to imagine how that battle actually played out, as both sides frantically dug through their shared inventories.

I imagine halfway through it stopped being about different approaches to the current situation and started being about Delta and Earthes trying to grab the same healing item, continually pulling each other's arms partway through their end of the shared inventory, and arguing which of them it all actually belongs to.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Ion, because there's a pattern I've noticed with her first two Dives and I'm curious about seeing if the third one keeps it up more than anything else at the moment.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Opiomorphone posted:

Also I was thinking more Hastur

Now I'm imagining a crazy Scottish man summoning Nelo and/or Cosal into an ice rink filled to the brim with explosives.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

In principle, I like that the game is coming out and directly indicting the player for buying into its anime waifu crap.

That was sort of the pattern I mentioned seeing in the earlier Dives.

See - it was mentioned earlier in the thread that if you played Ciel enough you could marry Ion in-game, right? :japan: So of course when you get into the sequel and she's still there and it's explicitly established that your character is controlled by you, the same person who game-married her in the last game, you expect everything to be perfectly fine and for her to already care about you more than anything and all that lonely-otaku-fantasy jazz.

Then, psyche! She's actively hindering your attempts to progress through her Dive, because she doesn't want you getting closer to her. With added bonus in the first one with Kanon that, if you gently caress up at the last second, it's revealed the most important thing to her is herself. Not you. And now here you give her the chance to play out the role you had in Ciel, while you're stuck in her role, and she immediately ditches you after the first day.

I was convinced Gust had become disenfranchised with Ciel's playerbase for whatever reason and was actively lashing out at them.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

After Nelo's coy "maybe ion's working with me? maybe she's not? you'll just have to find out yourself!" bit in the last update I was totally expecting Delta and Cass to jump to the loving worst possible conclusion they possibly could as soon as they next met with Ion and Earthes and then we'd have another PC vs PC boss fight. I am very glad that was not the case, even if it would have been if the groups had met again under absolutely any other circumstances, given Delta's first reaction to seeing Earthes here.

Also nice to know the Prime Minister actually has a name. And are those hints of a prior relationship turned sour between him and ZJill I see? (I probably should actually read at least a little bit of the Ciel summary thing one of these days)

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

So Cass knows the stuff Delta was forced to do through Interdimend or whatever the cause of opening the barrier was, which was over two years ago at this point, mind, was not actually his doing, yet she still feels the need to get angry at and punish him for it once she has the ability to really do so.

You're losing me here, Cass. You're becoming a bad character. Well, maybe "character" isn't the right word now. You're becoming a bad stereotype of an already-bad archetype.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

In contrast...well, it might just be the kinds of anime I watch, but I've seen so many heroines that have absolutely no self confidence it's getting on my nerves. It's an easy way to make the male character important while not actually having to do anything (make her feel better about herself by loving her for who she is!)

Yeah now that you mention it, that (and anyone still being willing to believe or even listen to anything Zill says, even subconsciously) is probably what I should be more mad at here.

I think I'm just still bitter about tsunderes because of Neptunia Victory taking one of those sorts of characters who I actually liked and turning her into a bland, unlikeable, one-dimensional parody of herself. It's only been about a year since that LP, after all.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

He's playing Spec Ops no Surge: the Line.
He's not getting the message.

How many souls have you absorbed into the Maternal Overseer today?

edit: hi new page, did you see a cool thing on the last page

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 26, 2015

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, this is really a mixed bag. I can certainly empathize with Ion feeling like she doesn't really matter to even her closest friends, and trying to fix that by saving a world is commendable regardless of how selfish the real reason for doing so is, but the lengths we've seen her go to in the Dive to force herself to be important, even if they're only subconscious, just make her seem more and more like she actually is just a terrible person who I'm not supposed to empathize with.

I'm certain we're going to get some closing assurances that she isn't actually a bad person in the next Dive, but, that's also in the same sense that I'm sure the game isn't going to really acknowledge that anything important actually happened once it's over with, save the new attack Feinne will get for doing it and possibly some other goodie for doing them all.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

MONKEY'S DOGGY'S PAAAAAW!

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Since it's near Valentines' Day, I feel this is appropriate. http://ar-ciel.unit03.net/at5th_vt_fcs/index.html

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

The only thing I really like here is Shirotaka mentioning how you only ever had two options to respond to anything.

That whole business with Ion's genometrics, where she was constantly calling you out for being a save-scumming rear end in a top hat who only saw everything that happened to her and the others as a game and only cared to get the ending you wanted, kind of fell flat for me because the options you were given to respond were only ever "be super-nice" or "be an unmitigated rear end in a top hat and/or pervert" (we didn't even see a special ending you can get where you can force Delta into a choice through Interdimend and completely gently caress everything over for him and Cass), with rare occasions where only one choice was available (being a gigantic dick to Delta right before he cut himself off from Interdimend the first time, but then reassuring Cass when she helped him reconnect later). The game coming right out and poking fun at itself for that is kind of nice.

The rest I'm still interested in seeing, but that's in the same sense that I'm interested in LPing the original Ghost Recon: I'm interested because I'm an idiot who hates himself. :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

This isn't quite as :japan: as the last Dive, at least not yet, but still it's like night and day compared to the regular Dives. I remember when I was getting the impression that the devs hated the kinds of fans these ones are suddenly catering to.

• Locked thread