Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Been looking forward to this one! But yeah, this is going to get nowhere near as :stonk: :japan: as Qoga, so you don't have to worry about that (although the pink-haired girl and another character's designs seem to be trying to come close).

Oh, and if you're crazy enough to care about what all the green terminal text in the introductory "What Came Before" video says, here's a pastebin version of the bit from the start of it and the bit at the end.

AstraSage posted:

Actually, the guy that made up the writeup went a step further and is currently making (Up to Chapter 2's end at the time of this post) a Video Playthrough of the what you need to know from the game.

Well, I was beaten to posting that. It's not too far in yet (only up to the end of Chapter 2), but it's pretty good quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

This game is pretty amazing at what it's trying to do, honestly. Once you 'get' what's happening it's pretty great.
Do you thing running with a 'No Spoilers' rule would be a good idea?

Argas posted:

Didn't this suffer from some really bad/lazy translations in some parts?
The only really bad stuff is the inconsistencies with character and place names, as Feinne already mentioned.
Well, that and a bug that caused all minor town NPCs to say the last line of another NPC's dialogue and then the first line of their own, leaving everything they say totally incomprehensible, but that eventually got patched :v:

Oh, and also I couldn't post this nice gif of the Ar noSurge logo earlier as I wasn't at my PC:

I tried to make an avatar of it a while back, but I couldn't get it to come out looking good and stay under the size limits

Icedude fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 7, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I love just how unenthusiastic Delta is about this whole dancing thing. What's even better is that if you switch over to the Japanese audio, the characters you're synthesizing with have a song that goes along with the music, and Delta's just as bored sounding as you expect :allears:
We've actually kinda seen that dance before already too. If you go back to the dream sequence at the very beginning, Cass is doing the same dance in the background when Delta's talking to Sarly

And yeah, Nay's the other uncomfortably :japan: character design I mentioned before.

Feinne posted:

Feinne’s Notes:
The world map is one of the big offenders as far as having localization issues. These very screens I’m about to show call their ship the “Soreil” and “Orei” (I’m going to suspect it’s probably supposed to be the “Soleil” given Gust is a big fan of French words but Orei is what they use most commonly in the localization so I suppose I’ll go with that).

I always thought that the ship itself was the Soreil, but the spherical section where Felion and other residential districts and such are located was known as the Orei. Does kind of make sense that it's just another botched translation though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Oh boy, Genometrics. Let's take Cosmospheres, but make them even more complicated and with added backtracking if you want everything! Didn't help on my first playthrough that I suck at cosmosphere stuff, and the only guide for these was half translated, missing some levels and sometimes just flat out wrong. :shepicide: At least they let you go back to do previous scenes over again if you screw up. But yeah, this is the weakest level in the game, so it was nice of them to get it out of the way early for us.

And back on outfit chat, I really have no idea what they were going for with the orange part with flappy things on Delta's outfit, or the evidently denim vest he's wearing under it:

Feinne posted:

Yeah, so the Genometrics Concert CDs have a bunch of short tracks that are all Hymnn::NAME_HERE that go with the Song Magics when used in battle. Though they are actually missing a couple, including one of the absolute best ones which is weird.

Also, please do remember to opine on whether you'd rather see synthesis/shop stuff in intermittent updates or in dumps where as I actually did them followed by uninterrupted plot.
I know there's a few that are on the third CD of the OST instead as they don't have lyrics, but I can't remember if they actually left any out or not.

Oh, and voting

Feinne posted:

Option B: Skip it for an update in favor of some plot advancement, then weave in updates with that content in between plot updates.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zill certainly is... something. Not at my PC right now so I'm not able to post the character sheet but yeah, she stole all the pants (no, that's not a skirt), but evidently at the cost of her shirt :shepface:

Feinne posted:

Why can’t you let me be happy?
This is quite possibly one of the best voice-acted lines in the entire game :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well, Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea is pretty much the iconic hymmnos phrase, and in song magic generally acts to help reenforce a reyvateil's feelings, the most obvious example being in Aurica's version of Purger. Fwal does translate to wings, chs is 'to change', and yor I think is 'your', so I'd agree with InfinityComplex's translation.

As for that entire sentence, isn't that what Luca read off that mural in the ruins in Enna? I can't remember what it did, though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

And of course we've got Surge Concerto's hymmnos equivalent, "Emotional Song Pact" and it's computer-program-ey counterpart "REON-4213". We've only seen small snippets of either so far, though. And if you thought the hymmnos alphabet was hard to read, you'll just love what they came up for this series. At least they just went with the english alphabet for when people are saying stuff this time :v:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

My copy of Ciel Nosurge arrived today! Now just to work on the whole problem of "I can't understand a word of it" :downs:

On the entire 'dropping in on Nay' thing, I'm surprised you didn't screencap the final shot of the scene which is just Delta floating face-down unconscious in the water :v:

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure we've seen all the "oops walked in on a naked lady" bits.
Yeah, we've definitely passed the lowest point in the game for that stuff.

Oh, and as we've seen some heavily filtered Ciel screenshots in the game now, here's some official art from Ciel Nosurge for Pram, Delta and Cass:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Omobono posted:

I find the role that Nay and unnamed cameo have in Sarly's mindscape interesting. I don't think Sarly would give those "villain" roles to non-friends :3:

Although, how do the mechanics for a multiple dive work here? Because Cass was not behaving like a diver, more like a divee. Basically, why is Cass not bothering with the dive and simply perfectly roleplaying along with the standard cosmosphere shenanigans?

EDIT: update last page

It's Delta diving into Cass and Sarly's chained genometrics, rather than Delta and Cass diving into Sarly's genometrics. I think it was explained much better earlier in the thread that Ar tonelico's cosmospheres were insight into a person's mind, while Ar noSurge's genometrics are an insight into a relationship.

So yeah, Cass isn't a diver, she's a divee along with Sarly.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

wdarkk posted:

It's Sadism, Introversion, Outgoingness, and Masochism. IIRC moving your icon nearer someone else's boosts the power of the spell you get from them.

It also provides different extra effects depending on which direction the spell is skewed in. Can't quite remember off the top of my head, but I believe being off towards Introverted boosts your defense, while being towards Outgoing boosts the support spell attack power (the minor attacks that Cass throws out mid battle). Things like that.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

In other news, GUST apparently did some sort of Surge Concerto broadcast and confirmed they're working on a new game in the series :toot:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do you have to watch that animation and jingle every time you synth something, or can you turn that off (or at least skip it)?

You can't turn it off, but you can skip it every time, don't even have to have watched it before. In fact you can even see the skip prompt in that screenshot Wales Grey posted :v:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 24, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Strictly speaking, the dance seems to depend on vaguely defined categories the game has established: The first one we got is Food (and food-related) items, and while it's usually done by Nay, it's not exclusive to Nay. This one is mostly "mechanical" items. Off the top of my head, there's also a medicine dance and a fourth one that I I vaguely recall as "sciencey".

Yeah the 4th one is for Cathodes and TxBIOS, there's also a 5th one just for miscellaneous items.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think it might actually be possible to get those in an English copy of the game, albeit through opening a World Linked save made in the Japanese version of the game that has gotten up to just before this point.

Of course I have no idea if that actually works, but I know you can open Japanese save files in the English version and get some of the World Link required stuff so I don't see why it wouldn't.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 28, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Just wanted to say how much I love this track. The AT series always has great World Map music but they knocked it out of the park with this one :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Wales Grey posted:

Inconvenient and important as it may be, it certainly explains what the hell is up with her outfit.

Actually it doesn't. Her outfit is literally just the underwear that goes with the Empress robo-suit thing :japan: :doh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

HR12345 posted:

I don't know if it was covered in the LP, but what does it mean when the EVENT thing in items is grayed out or still in color?

I think it's to do with whether you've seen the synthesis event for that item for your current party. Can't remember if lit up or greyed out is 'not seen it yet' though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Aurain posted:

Koei Tecmo are ever so subtly teasing a confirmation Ar nosurge Plus for Vita in the west.
https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/595669588974673920
Now I'll actually have something to do with my Vita other than PS4 remote play :woop:

Kadorhal posted:

Also, what is with item names having question marks around them after you've synthesized them? Did they gently caress up in the localization and forget to include some punctuation?
That's the recipe name. The item doesn't actually get its proper name shown on the synthesis list until after the synthesis scene (which is where they usually think up a name for the item).

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

:toot:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Omobono posted:

:toot:
Is the plus version supposed to have all DLC?

Yeah, all the PS3 DLC plus a bunch of new stuff. In fact, here's the official change list direct from Koei Tecmo's twitter (with the spoilers removed, of course)

quote:

Ar nosurge Plus Updates:

- New Costumes
• New costumes for the four main characters (Delta, Earthes, Casty, and Ion).
• Beat the game to unlock even more costumes for the above four characters.
• New “Purification” costumes for the additional characters.

- New “Purification” Partners
• Sarly and Nelo can be selected as conversation partners during Purification.

- DLC Addition
• Some DLC available from the previous version comes pre-loaded!

- Updates and Balancing
• Full featured tutorial.
• Synthesis Shop Events viewable from menu.

Developed by GUST and published by KOEI TECMO Europe in Europe and KOEI TECMO America in North America, Ar nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star, will be available for digital download on the PlayStation Vita on July 1, 2015 in Europe and July 2, 2015 in North America.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is Kanon's resemblance to Cass meaningful, or is it just a combination of anime face + model reuse like Nelico is with Jill?
Any resemblance between Kanon and Cass is just a coincidence, but I think the similarities between Nelico and Zill are intended.

quote:

Also, question about the planet-destroying thing... isn't the entire reason the planet got destroyed because they were trying to leave the planet because their home star becoming a red giant was going to wipe it out anyway? And wasn't the destruction kinda unintentional? Was this Genom-destroying thing covered in the Ciel Nosurge game?
Yeah, Ra Ciela was going to be wiped out by Bezel going red giant anyway, but the destruction was entirely intentional. They blew up the planet to turn it into energy to power the ship's jump drive (or just the song magic that would have done the same thing, I'm fuzzy on the details). Only problem is Nelo stole most of that energy trying to send herself home and got everyone stuck in the mess they're in now. I don't know if it was covered in Ciel, but the Tenmon faction didn't really give a poo poo about the Genom (instead preferring Cielnotrons for song magic) and they just got left behind. Oops.

quote:

In combat, is there any penalty for using an item? Does it cost you an action? Or is it just a completely free thing?
No penalty, but you can only use one item per turn.

e:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 8, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Omobono posted:

I'm finding that quite funny. It's a neat thing to incorporate in the game at any rate.
By "culled from NA version" you mean that in translating they decided that we unwashed gaijin masses weren't worth of the superboss' majesty from glorious 日本, so they removed it? :wtc:

We never got (and probably will never get) Ciel and as such can't World Link between the two games, so instead of leaving around functions we'd never be able to use they just blocked them off. Despite the fact they apparently translated all the World Link stuff. Instead of just giving us another way to unlock it.

Yeah, it sucks. We can only hope Plus does a better job at that but I seriously doubt it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Huh, I had no idea you could play that fight from Cass and Delta's perspective. I believe it still ends the same way no matter who you play as, though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

OddObserver posted:

The Prim thing was actually hinted, BTW --- from an earlier update, where Feinne had Ion look at some of the baddies' notes:

Now, Prim is (and was) the only Dream Genom in the story thus far, as far as I am aware...

I just thought that was reference to the fact they were putting Genom souls in Sharl bodies. After all, the Sharls we've seen from Ion's side certainly haven't been "mindless".

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

I suspect what she's wearing in the bath is just Cass' bottom layer of clothing. She's got the parka dress, and then under that is a small black shirt and a pair of shorts (you can sort of see both in her outfit).

It's actually mentioned on the costume change screen description for the outfit that it's a swimsuit that Cass actually doesn't really like but the shopkeeper she bought it from pushed her into buying it anyway saying it was good for purification ceremonies.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

A bit late now as we're well past the relevant update, but I just remembered I had this lying around. No idea if it's official art or fanart:

Also another vote on the pile for Ion, because not only can we see her and Nay's dive, we'll also finally be able to finish up Ion's dive too.

e: Also Feinne, as we seem to have come back to outfit chat again recently, would you mind if I went and did a little side update with all the characters' relevant outfit descriptions, or would you rather include that in a main update yourself at some point?

Icedude fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 16, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

As Feinne's given the go ahead, it's time for some Ra Cielan Fashion Corner! These are the descriptions the game gives you of the various character outfits that you can view on the Costume Change screen.

Cass' Outfit: “Naval Dragon”

quote:

Cass' favorite parka. It's stylish to wear around town, and it's also highly impact resistant for traveling outside the Barrier. Cass pretty much only wears underwear underneath, but due to maintenance of pleasant weather year-round in the Orei, this is the most comfortable solution

Cass' Purification Outfit: “Ripple Shell”

quote:

While this may be a swimsuit, the merging of cloth and film makes this design particularly futuristic, even in this world. Cass purchased this after deciding to do the Purification Ceremony, but apparently she was pushed into buying it as she was too embarrassed to refuse. The person who chose it said it would allow for the highest efficiency Purification, and the reason is starkly apparent just by looking.

Delta's Outfit: “Wild Wear”

quote:

Typical clothes worn by city folk. However, the version worn by Delta is made especially strong, for people who travel outside the Barrier. Delta is most relaxed while wearing these kinds of rugged clothes, perhaps from his time working for PLASMA.

Delta's Purification Outfit: “Viva☆Sports”

quote:

It's fairly standard sportswear, but Delta uses it often as home wear. The mesh fiber weave allows for good breathability, remaining cool even on hot days, so he wears it all the time except when going out. Ironically, despite wearing sportswear year round, he doesn't have any particular interest in sports.

Ion's Outfit: “Paula's Memory III”

quote:

Clothes Ion made herself. As the III implies, this is the 3rd generation of Paula's Memory. The original Paula's Memory was made by a lady who took care of Ion when she first came to this world, and these clothes are in memory of the first kindness she felt here. Even now Ion continues to improve upon it, and while it no longer resembles the original, it carries on in name.

Ion's Purification Outfit: “Ocean's Allure”

quote:

An eloquent and cute swimsuit, resembling waves in the ocean. The material is highly elastic, and feels nice. While it was obviously designed for those with larger breasts, Ion rather likes wearing this swimsuit, despite her average size. The Orei doesn't have any oceans, but it does have artificial ponds, and large numbers of swimsuits are sold for use there. There are also swimsuits highly efficient for Purification Ceremonies, but Ion doesn't seem to like those.

Earthes' 'Outfit': “ES45 Cathode”

quote:

This is technically the item's model number. ES45 is a type of Guardian robot, but unlike the Guardians wandering about the Orei, this has various special support functions. The most particular feature is a direct Bus connected to the Ar noSurge Tube, a vacuum tube used for processing connections to the 7th Dimension. Due to this, beings from outside this world are able to freely control it.

And of course Earthes doesn't have a purification outfit because robots don't wear clothes.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Clarste posted:

I suppose it might've been a pun in Japanese.

Yep. 勇気 (also pronounced Yūki) is Japanese for "Courage", so the magic is our Proof of Courage :rimshot:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Lunar Suite posted:

Is it ever elaborated on what precisely binds Nelo and/or Ion into the EXA_PICO universe?
...Then again, if they were soul-napped, their original bodies might've, well, not fared well in the interim years.
Actually wait wasn't Nelo the core of REON? How can people still use Songs then?
Nothing actually binds them there, it just that the Ra Cielans only ever figured out a way to bring people to their dimension, but it only works one way and they never bothered to find a way to send them back again because why would they ever want to do that?
Time doesn't pass the same between the two dimensions, hence how we instantly timeskipped 2 years, or how we can pause or save and come back later.
Nelo was only needed to make Cielnotrons work. Older trons (such as G2 trons) would probably still work. Of course Cass and Sarly are incarnates, so they're technically part genom, and sharls can use song magic at will too for the same reason.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

the SURPRISE NEW SHOP we're about to unlock that's not a surprise because come on who could it be.

Doesn't the game actually spoil that one with one of the really early tutorial message popups anyway? :v:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

Aww, that’s no fun. We’re the only two left in this world, you know?
Would it be that unnatural to have a love affair or two…?
But Nelico… We’re both women, so we can’t…
That’s what makes it all the more interesting! Have you any idea how many men would kill to witness this?
That’s right!/I’m not interested.
I think that if you answer "I'm not interested." here, it's the only time the possibility of the person controlling Earthes might be female comes up.

Also yes, Nelico's Spell = Best Spell.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Hi, I'm Delta Lantanoil and welcome to Jackass

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Lunar Suite posted:

Also that's the maternal Overseer? ...disappointing. Ryuju had a better design than that.
Yeah, the Maternal Overseer's a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting something more like the other 8th Dimensionals you fight earlier, but instead we get something that looks like Super-mode Raki instead.

quote:

Also - life force mode? The ship consumes life force now? Wasn't it running on the AR NOSURGE tube, which is another white hole device?
It was running off the microquasar (the glowwy blue thing behind Zill & co this update, AKA the remaining energy from when they destroyed the planet) not the Ar noSurge tube. Zill pretty much just flipped the switch on the microquasar so that it went from Output mode to Absorb mode.

quote:

e: So what precisely is Zill's plan?
As far as I'm aware, it's just bog standard megalomania. Raise nonhuman army -> kidnap humans to fuel transformation -> become god.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Good news: KT put out a trailer for Ar noSurge Plus today, so that's nice.
Bad news: MASSIVE SPOILERS in said trailer. Watch it at your own risk.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

and I think a fix to the TxBIOS bug?

Apparently that didn't even get fixed in the Japanese version of Plus, so probably not

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Oh hey, Ar noSurge Plus is already up on the EU PSN store if you're interested in picking it up! :toot:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Are the differences significant enough to grab it over just watching it unfold here?

It's mostly just minor tweaks and some extra costumes, no actual major story changes, so you won't be missing anything just reading this except for the three new additional purification chat characters (and Feinne might cover those too, so who knows).

There's one or two minor changes which I thought were nice. You now actually have to be in a specific location to have the purification chat about that location, and there's an actual tutorial popup about the L1/R1 special attacks.

Oh, and Cass kicked Delta after I accidentally touched her on the touchscreen during purification :laugh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

Let's have some more trivia!

Mute Tier:
Tyria's singer.
KOKIA

quote:

Misha Tier:
Give any of the three Synchronity Chain callouts.
"Resonate!" "Play the tune!" "Thunder of heavens! Synchronity chain!"
I have no idea what the other two are because I only really had Jacqli and Cloche in my party

quote:

Mir Tier:

Just what does "Ar Ciel, Ar Dor" mean? And hell while you're at it what did Ar Ru's name mean?
Our World, Our Land. Not sure about Ar Ru.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I found something else weird in Plus: Double-tapping the rear touchpad it makes a 'smack' sound and Earthes/Delta plays a random animation, up to and including parts of the synthesis dances. The manual just mentions the rear touchpad as 'special commands', so who knows if it actually has any real use :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

That scene with Delta at the end there really annoyed me the first time I got to it. Still does, really. I spent all this time helping him and stuff and they don't give us an option to not be a total dick to him when we finally get to talk directly to him? Or an option to at least be worried about Ion if you've finished her side first, and ask for Delta for help? It just feels totally out of place that you have no option other than to be an rear end in a top hat or an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread