Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can already tell this game will be special (read: not very good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The dialogue isn't impressing me, but then again there is little to go off of. I'll stick it out and hope it gets better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't read anything about Ciel Nosurge and have never played or watched an Ar Tonelico game before so this is quite a lot of :japan: to take all at once. Why is no one wearing pants whyyyyy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AradoBalanga posted:

Clearly, a Sharl turned into a pair of pants and went on a killing spree in the past. As a result, pants are now outlawed and/or discriminated against.

Finally, I know something about this series that isn't EXEC_PURGER/.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Feinne posted:

It depends on the Song I think what benefit you get from personality. It's all weird and poorly documented because everything in these games is that way.

Like seriously that's one of the few things I really need to vent about getting irritated with in the series, the mechanics are incredibly opaque to the point of it being difficult to really get what you should be doing with your equipment at times. It's present at varying levels throughout the series but Ar Nosurge is probably the biggest offender (especially since it seems the TxBIOS are bugged as well).

And despite how the game likes to style itself, you can't dive into its source code to figure out what the gently caress anything does. :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just started reading the pastebin summary of Ciel Nosurge while finishing this update off, and I really gotta see how this links up to what I'm reading about. For once, I have no idea where this is going to go, cause this whole thing is a mindfuck. :psyduck:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm still pretty :psyduck: at this whole thing. I like the player avatar thing though, and Ciel Nosurge's gimmick too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So is the purpose of this Dive just to get the player to pace themselves between plot and Dives, or is there anything more meaningful to it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Was this the dive where we find out that Kanon really is excited to have Ion back, or was that another one?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress are those costumes? Delta and Earthes look okay, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sindai posted:

Just how much of the "magic code" is meaningful and how much is gibberish? Because as a programmer I have to stop and try to interpret it every time I see it and it's driving me crazy.

http://artonelico.wikia.com/wiki/REON-4213_Language

Have fun. It has rules behind it and you could theoretically read it out loud. But as far as I'm concerned, it's gibberish until someone does Hello World in it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That choice window looks very suspicious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm still finishing up the Qoga LP, but I don't know exactly who this narrator/"your mother"/"your father" compound is. I know that the main narrator is Mir (though I know basically nothing about her), but who is the subject supposed to be? I'm only familiar with the third game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Ugh, what have I gotten myself into?"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What would they even do to communicate?

"Alright, I have this game board we used to play with on Ra Ciela here. Send me a message, please!"

"B-U-T-T-S-L-O-L"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are the differences significant enough to grab it over just watching it unfold here?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Weird. I wonder what's going on with Cass and Delta.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to know what's causing those messages to pop up.

Let's Debug :eng101:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Omobono posted:

The first two Ar Tonelico games really managed to sell their antagonists as fundamentally good people that made bad choices under duress (and then sunk cost fallacy set in).

It's much the same for the final boss in Qoga, too, although it's hard to say exactly who is the main antagonist in that game. Ciela acted similarly out of rage and desperation and had to be snapped out of it by a band of do-gooders. She even speaks about being sad about her choices in her Hymmnos (but realizing she has to do what she did anyway). It's just a little less obvious because Ciela is a much higher life form than a human.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: dammit that's not the right lyrics. uhhh nothing to see here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I somehow did not quite see this coming.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was spoiled on the same, but just expected it to be a small post-credits thing. I wonder where they're going with this?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does the script and dialogue improve alongside it?

Sindai posted:

Would everything suddenly make sense if I knew anything about AT?

TL;DR there was a point in the past of EXA_PICO when things were (relatively) peaceful on Ar Ciel, and this is probably that time. I doubt anything else will be important.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I'm guessing that the scouts and Genom merged at some point and became the Teru.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm still wondering how this dive is supposed to make us sympathetic towards Zill.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Incidentally, the reason Zill is pronounced "Jill" is because "zi" is a common romanization for "ジ", the first mora of her Japanese name. Her name is literally Jill, just spelled with a Z because Japanese.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Feinne posted:

It's weird because I'm pretty sure the game does even spell her name with a J exactly once and her name in the text always seems really buggy and odd (her actual first name is Zillium but there's like an extra 'ill' in there a bunch of times like someone hosed up a find and replace and didn't bother to check it).

Her Japanese name is actually Ji-li-li-u-m (ジリリウム), funnily enough. Then again, I haven't found any romanizations and this is based off of some Japanese wiki I found, so it honestly doesn't really matter.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SPHILIA is my personal favorite of those. In fact, every single one of Mir's songs are great - EXEC_HARMONIUS_FUSION (and technically EXEC_HARMONIOUS), EXEC_RIG=VEDA, EXEC_SPHILIA, EXEC_DESPEDIA, The Heart Speaks, and EXEC_DISHADOW_includes.Ex_VANISLAND are all some of my favorites. No other character has as many knockout Hymns as Mir does, IMO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've learned enough of SPHILIA to sing a good portion of it off the top of my head. In fact, I'm gonna listen to it again right now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

#ArCielWasRight

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That is some awful translation work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, fair's fair this is also supposed to be a a metaphor.

what loving metaphor is this supposed to represent so i can proceed to never use it ever

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really need to watch that show.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm glad that Earthes gets what's going on here, cause I sure as hell don't. Also, what was that "slip-up" Earthes picked up on? I don't think it was pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Earthes has no concept of tact. No one in this game does, actually.

• Locked thread