Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes and then Cruiser evolved to meaning fast ship that can achieve useful things independently, ie raid or patrol or scout etc. Frigates used to be the older age-of-sail term mainly used for these vessels.

We should note that English language nautical classifications is mostly sourced from the Royal Navy with a cultural switch to US Navy terms of art during and post-WW2. NATO carried some weight with spreading US language conformity since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The one and only reason me, a foreigner, have any idea what glizzys are is for tiktoks of ppl biting into the bountiful beasures of the bog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a18NjA2O-W0

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Nov 14, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Bargearse posted:

Glizzy is not a real word, yeah I know get off my lawn whatever I’m a single-issue prescriptivist.

Now let me tell you about pineapple on pizza and beans in chili

Is it they are lesser foods than kebab with sauce and french fries?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Aah, the french

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy2LRxdlgWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BGaA3PC9tQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TWBBxwhbU

gently caress em.
wonderful people, love them but god whyy

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Nov 16, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I had this realization recently as well, I think the problem here is that a large bulk of YouTube science guys all have the same general cadence and pitch when they're talking

Again, we celebrate Explosions & Fire. He is the most entertaining of them

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Sad to say, if we're counting incidents where the folks never returned other humans are still the uncontested no.1 danger. The Boston MTA alone is a nightmare world

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Pookah posted:

Not to be a dick, but that doesn't tell you Mitchell is an historian. He has a degree in a relevant subject, but hey, so do I.
I have a degree and a masters in relevant subjects, but unless I have done actual work in related fields within the last year or so, it is entirely irrelevant

It is a conundrum though. If someone does the work of an historian for a week but without any formal traing whatsoever, are they an historian? They're certainly not a trained historian but do they get to go anywhere near the titular at all? I'd hope most would say no and strongly, we have greater barriers for entry than the work alone.
Is the only workable test, a widespread acceptance among the titular peers?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

You're only really a historian once you've ritually wrestled the reanimated corpse of Ranke into submission and/or published something semi-notable.

Going viral you say? Very well, I'll put it in the job description

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Perhaps in your subpar, rural and peripheral, dialect of english :wotwot:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I pay with my phone

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I guess we should acknowledge we're comparing wildly different places in the world now. The US is a long ways away from cashless, other areas not so much. Most small places, mom and pop and food trucks etc round here don't accept cash anymore. The big public reasoning is no cash = no armed robbery.
But it's probably more because there's way less ancillary costs from admin, automatic accounting and taxes, and one less physical thing to bother with

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Oppression posted:

Never really thought about it before, but there probably isn't someone in the back of the store punching holes in donuts.

The hole comes from how the machine presses the dough out of a pipe to then fall into the boiling oil. Think macaroni

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I once washed my balls with Fairy (lemon-scented) and it was fine. What thread is this anyway?

It's the "faces of Finnish alcoholism" thread now

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

credburn posted:

so wait Weapon of Choice is a Dune allegory or what

No you're mixing it up with Total Eclipse of the Heart. Turn around, bright eyes

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Anime started making sense for me when I decided that Studio Gibli was the anime and everything else was internet fan art. Except for Moomin.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The English voice overs are [whatever otaku says about English voices]. Real fans use the real Swedish dub and subtitles

(Real talk though, the east swedish voices gets a lot closer to the je ne sais qui of the characters. More gentle and melodic. I should test the Japanese one too come to think of)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Rosa wasn't even the first in the series of those demonstrations, I think she was 4th. The sparking event did happen spontaneously with a very determined young woman who refused to leave her seat, and someone in the movement figured this would make an excellent way to mass protest. Rosa was an employee in the organisation and more little old lady-like and, since the organised protest series had journalists attached and present for each event, it was almost an exercise in finding out when the public would start to care.

Tl/dr the first time was unplanned, and the rights movement repeated it and suddenly the world noticed when Rosa Parks protested

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I drive a jay ee ee peeeee!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

credburn posted:

This isn't so much a thing I just "realized" as it is something pointed out to be in another thread, but I've learned today that POV now means the opposite of POV.

da fuc? What's the change? Do we need to be angry at zoomers and clouds now?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Effectively I think POV switched from a first-person concept to a second-person one. Your POV is now watching another person see stuff you don't see.

this photo was literally called tired-millenial.jpg

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Doesn't that read like "super, super-duper"? ie reinforcement?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The tzar is good but beware his evil boyardees!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

These pretzels, are making me thirsty!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bacon (and other fatty foods) can contribute to causing migraines.

I still have like two pounds of Costco bacon left, now what the hell do I do?

Write a hit song inspired by your tragedy, get rich as consolation

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He4UkEb2LBs

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Uh, hmm, the Royal Africa co. was not very good otherwise as well

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Americans looks to be English people who can't believe they English

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Technically correct because you didn't clarify which peoples from The Americas you were referring to

The true barbecue sauce is named chimichurri

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's really tedious when people mock whatever their vision of no-culture white American food is (which is usually just whatever poor people have available to them) yet in the same breath espouse the glories of the $12 taco.

do you want to talk to a manager, Karen?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A whole lot of the basic elements have different names in different languages. Potassium is Kalium etc

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ima comma over dere and teach yoo one thing or too

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Shane MacGowan outlived Sinéad O'Connor.

:psyduck:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

We call her the madonna with the big boobies over here

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

And the "Evil Empire" is a nickname for the entire country :eng101:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FFT posted:

There's got to be a way to work plumber's crack into this but I can't put my finger in it.

:golfclap:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The f16 variants is a bit more fragile than the f18+f18e. So in a nutshell, the us carrier airplanes are the best rough'n'ready alternative if you want a robust airplane that does an f16 job, and if you're limited by reeeally wanting to buy american for the political effects that giving americans money would buy you.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Canada's situation is far more baffling. They killed their own domestic fighter industry, bought American planes and now have spent decades flying obsolete planes while loving up any attempt to upgrade their arsenal.

It's easier to make sense of when you parse canada 1. Don't need any military, so results don't matter and 2. meaning there's no consequences to use it for corruption or, 3. election promises to undo/redo/cut expensive purchases because the other party in the two party system is wrong and stupid and wastes your money.

The day their politicians understand you only need to say 3. without doing it is the day everything starts working. It's also the day a friend stops getting paid to redo it, so

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

You can get a modern 15 from Boeing that does both just fine. It's maintenance and everything associated with getting them to the job that would make one more practical than the other. Practical translates as budget and amount of support staff in contemporary Australian, more than job performance

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

In 1988, though? That's around when the RAAF started getting hornets.

Nah, but in the last decade when you decided if you'd get 18E's but are ending up with 35's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ommin posted:

Are you all just really into military hardware or is everyone expected to know so much detail about the various war machines? To me, every fighter jet is an F16 and everything else is just generically a bomber, unless it's black, then it's a stealth bomber.

It's like recognising cars or hockey players or celebrities. Some are less resistant to the siren's call than others. It's fine to be "that car is yellow and I'm going to buy one that is blue, I think".