Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Scaramouche posted:

He asked where a store was and I pointed out a mall entrance and said "right there, turn left". Then I started thinking about how else I could have said it and came up with "Right ahead on the left", "right through that door and then left" and similar variations. I realize I could have said "turn left after going through the door" but it would have taken a conscious effort to word it that way. It's weird that right can mean the direction, correct, and that's not even getting into the moral implications.
Straight ahead
forward
continue
keep walking in this direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

numerrik posted:

In parts of America, these are referred to as butter knifes, and being serrated, are sharp, even if not extremely sharp.

[url] https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...Flatware%20Sets[/url]

Australia too. Why would you need a wooden butter knife?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you have enough access to electricity to have a refrigerator to put butter in, you also have enough access to electricity for room temperature to be less than 95F.

lmao like im gonna run the aircon all day while i'm at work on a hot summer's day just to prevent my butter from melting. I could just stick it in the fridge instead, most people use butter in a tub rather than a stick.
https://www.devondale.com.au/products/extra-soft-butter-blend This poo poo is only 38% Butter. Still tastes better than margarine

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Memento posted:

the loving colour of it

Yeah my mum put beef mince in it as well, and an electric frying pan was the weapon of choice
I just figured out that this wasn't unique to my mum as well.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

500excf type r posted:

Isnt it on like every tube of toothpaste as well as instructions from the ADA not to drink or rinse for at least 2 minutes? What did you people do in the bathroom before smartphones
I'm in Australia, we have fluoridated water, and my toothpaste specifically says to rinse after brushing
So :shrug:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

MariusLecter posted:

The word 'Cherry' is a portmanteau of Cheery and Berry.
Think we need to bring back the questionable etymology thread title again

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Inceltown posted:

Knowing that Tails has another name is some real trap sprung poo poo :P
It's literally in the intro to Sonic 2, right after the SEGA logo

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh apparently Anglophones pronounce it /ˈfjuːʃə/ for some reason. I guess in that case it makes sense.
While the original pronunciation from the word's German origin is "fook-sya" /ˈfʊksija/, the standard pronunciation for the common name in English is "fyu-sha" /ˈfjuːʃə/.

Wow, that's one I didn't know! Consider me someone that definitely would have spelt that wrong.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

credburn posted:

I don't know if this is something "I can't believe I just figured out" but we don't have like a "today I learned this neat thing" thread, do we?

Anyway, I work as a cashier at a 7-11, and this dude asks for a "glizzy." I ask him to repeat it, he does, I tell him I don't think we have that here, he gets very annoyed and says motherfucker I'm looking right at them. So I assume he's talking about the like honey buns or something in front of the counter, you know, because they're like glazed or whatever, but after another couple misunderstandings he violently informed me that a "glizzy" is a hot dog and "everyone loving knows this."

quote:

A glizzy is a hot dog. It was originally a slang term for “gun” in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area (also known as the DMV), but according to HipHop DX, it became a nickname for hot dogs because the length of the barbecue staple is similar to the extended clip of a gun.
No doubt it's just the usual thing where white people (TikTok) latch onto urban slang and everyone else ( :okboomer: ) has no idea wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

credburn posted:

Someone was trying to tell me the Britney Spears song "If U Seek Amy" was an "incredibly clever" way to "sneak past" censors and "nobody knew" what was actually being said for "years."

If it took you longer than one day to get the "secret message" you're just a goddamn idiot, and this fooled nobody.

Yeah grammatically it made no sense unless you actually read it as "gently caress me". Maybe it just got past surface-level censors just doing a ctrl-F