Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I thought it was kind of hosed up that the white people working with the Central American crew chief called him Nacho until I learned that's the standard nickname for Ignacio.

but I learned that a very long time ago.

something I just realized yesterday: the little Android clock app icon shows the current time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ohhhhhh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a twist cap bottle opener, but I guess nuts work as well.

I usually use my hands

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just learned that the largest North American animal is the bison (also dangerous but mostly to tourists who try to like cuddle them)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sir Lemming posted:

For you, the day you figured this out was the most important day of your life...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I looked up mountain lion attacks after the North America post and

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Foxfire_ posted:

:your mom joke goes here:

no, I already posted cougar attack stats

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
what the gently caress!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pookah posted:

an historian

a historian

:chord:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Perhaps in your subpar, rural and peripheral, dialect of english :wotwot:

first time I've heard a Cockney accent described as posh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Gaius Marius posted:

Foy-yay is pure pretension, people get caught up trying to pronounce the yay "frenchly" and don't realize they gently caress up the entire first half of the word.

nah*. it's kind of like arguing that nobody says bourgeois correctly because they only hit the last syllable.

this kind of thing generally goes oddly in American English. my favorite example is Vallejo: it ends up being valleho and not bayjaho. we picked one thing to follow.

or the kind of folk etymology that turns chaise longue into chaise lounge, even by people who say they get mad at that kind of thing.

*but I've never heard anyone say foyay in American English except incredibly sarcastically.

credburn posted:

I know what anthimeria is

I did not. gracias.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't believe that these teenagers, who have (one presumes) grown up speaking English, are describing pizza -- pizza fresh from the very oven, mind you -- as being cool

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[Snoop Dogg exhaling a large cloud] niche

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Shifty Nipples posted:

"Cah rib ian" is the cruise line and "care ah be in" is the place

so like pecan/pecan

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
hot enough to make you drupe

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
touch grass... from underneath :evilbuddy:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I learned that earlier this year and went to see if there were any older video game studios. it turns out that the oldest one by some metrics is the US Army (fixed 1776)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

That's the most appropriate Psyduck reaction I've seen.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
only dealers and grandparents ever have $50 bills

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DontMockMySmock posted:

Etymonline says it comes from a related, slightly older sense of "wage" meaning a bit more generally "to pledge" or "to agree" (e.g. to pledge payment, or agree to a bet (i.e. "wager")). The specific sense of "a pledge of salary for a regular job" came a bit later.

So, to wage war originally meant simply to agree to go to war. Doesn't have anything to do with paying soldiers money.

seeing a correct etymology from a solid source on the forums makes me happy.

anyway, it's cognate with wed, which brings us to the Lockhorns comic

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

a cyborg mug posted:

The platinum library card gets you access to the mythical Titty Magazines section. It’s true I heard Tommy over in class 3B said his brother totally saw it once

my main branch stocks (stocked? is it still a physical magazine?) Playboy, but it's in lockup.

also I like your avatar

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Baron von Eevl posted:

Marron is also derived from a noun, which is derived from an adjective. It's also super racist.

the verb that means leave on an island has a bad origin, but the adjective that means brown doesn't

https://www.etymonline.com/word/maroon

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I only learned that NYC is at the same latitude as Rome pretty recently

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's true. a nd many of them are large and chaotic and there's often a terrible smell. there are many similarities with one's mother.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

turn on your monitor

sounds like vice versa

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Splendid posted:

"horse" isn't actually cognate with Latin "equus" or from PIE "*h₁éḱwos".

It is, however, cognate with "car" :geno:

WHAT

holy poo poo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Great Lakes only started to form 14,000 years ago

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Carthag Tuek posted:

there was a huge inhabited peninsula in the north sea between england, the netherlands, and denmark. human settlements and forests and roaming animals, way up until only around 8-9 thousand years ago

e: doggerland

kick-rear end

e:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-the-great-lakes-formed-lake-huron-archaeology

this article talks about underwater archaeology for similar sites in the lakes.

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Jan 19, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Inceltown posted:

You can still see remnants of the past self today

lol

batman is the word for basically an officer's military butler in English English. JRR Tolkien had one in WWI and that's basically Sam Gam.

anyway, there's a joke early on in Gravity's Rainbow where the batman is named Bruce Wayne

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
John Astin is still alive! (a thing I learned recently)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the raccoon one predates the racial slur, a fact that I just learned.

I prefer "dog's age" for various reasons (including that one)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
dog: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/4715/origin-and-exact-meaning-of-the-phrase-i-have-to-go-see-a-man-about-a-dog#4716

I'm learning a lot today

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in France he is known as Mecton Fier

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Moon Monster posted:

Speaking of Smashmouth, All Star isn't the chicadee china the chinese chicken song.

no, the chicken in China (the Chinese chicken) song is of course the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TLWqn82J4

e: goddammit I forgot it was the Chocolate Chicken in the Busta verse.

but that's what they're referencing.

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jan 31, 2024

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I ain't saying she a gold digger but she has secured a pickaxe and an old-timey helmet with an oil lamp

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
she does keep doing a jig and feverishly whispering gold, gold

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
what's going on

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Splendid posted:

Edit: it's also related to cheap, as it turns out, and links up with Kauf in German

I went on a tangent looking that up the other day, starting with chapman (seller (like Kauffman)), which got shortened and generalized to chap (a dude)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hirayuki posted:

I was reminded about more of these great/not immediately obvious nicknames while rewatching Better Call Saul: Nacho (Ignacio), Lalo (Eduardo), even Tuco (Alberto). Then there's Chuy (Jesús) and Poncho (Alfonso). So many diminutives that seem entirely disconnected from the original names--I love it.

I can't ever remember names for the principes involved, but of this kind of make sense

'uardo by itself kinda sounds like Lalo. Poncho is a simpler way of saying 'fonso. the phonemes are close to each other.

like how bubba is how a little kid pronounces brother in some American dialects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Then chaps became assless pants and dude became city slicker on a ranch.

goddammit chaps is from a different line but still [Eric Wareheim exploding in discs]