Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

It occurred to me while watching some dudes put up a new gas station sign that "MART" is short for "MARKET".

Or, quite possibly, it isn't.

e: In the sense that first you had the English word market and then English-speakers shortened it to mart. It's possible of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you have the thought "hey, this modern English word sounds a lot like this other modern English word", it's almost never the case that one is a neologism based on the other. Shared etymology or false cognates are far more likely.

Especially since the entire history of England consists of being conquered by everyone all the time so you'd get huge amounts of different (sometimes repeating) foreign influences. It's completely possible that a few dozen Middle Dutchians conquered England several times but no-one noticed because the next wave was already on its way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Well, we probably inherited it via the Germans.

Oh yeah I bet they invaded a buncha times too. Very welcoming place, England. I'd visit some day but I don't want to have to lord it over all those natives :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

People should just listen to "The history of English" podcast if that stuff fascinates them. There's a lot of times where the same word enters English twice via Germanic languages and then again through French, and you can tell the difference because the stupid french couldn't pronounce W's so it's Guillame not William and 'guardian,' not 'warden' but we have both now.

Did the same happen with GIF and JIF?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

french couldn't pronounce W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYT0QcI-9Q

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Besesoth posted:

"gif" is an Old English word; it's apparently pronounced "yiff".

Fun fact: if you're reading an OE text and don't know a verb it's absolutely safe to just assume it means to kill.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I pronounce it kihvi in case anyone is interested.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah that was Jif and Cif.

Wow. I never realized we use peanut butter as a cleaning agent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought My Bloody Valentine was about the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre but then what do I know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All on Black posted:

I just realized that "podcast" is a portmanteau of iPod and broadcast.

I'm still not sure what a podcast is but if I ever bother to look it up, I'll post in this thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's a downloadable radio show, you sperg

Well gently caress you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So who is he?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

He wrote a lot of fanfic the devs liked during the games development.

Neat-o.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Yes. Nowadays the official term is "+Control Pad" (no kidding).

As far as I know, it always was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Creature posted:

My wife only discovered yesterday that Billy Joel and Billy Idol are not the same person.

Tell her Billy Corgan and Karl Pilkington are not the same person and she'll believe it. (Of course they are the same person but :thejoke: so you can :troll: her good :mmmhmm:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Don't feel bad, English is almost the only language where that sound even exists, so non-English speakers nearly always struggle with it. Most Dutch speakers will invariably pronounce it as a hard 't'. I remember someone laughing at me for pronouncing the word 'thumb' approximately correctly.

Whenever a sentence starts with "English is special because", everything that follows is categorically untrue. But hey it made Bill Bryson some money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but who even speaks Spanish or Arabic?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In this thread native speakers of English are perplexed by varieties of English. WHAT DO YOU MEAN GARAGE RHYMES WITH MARRIAGE OMG :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I recommend you all read David Crystal's The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language which, apart from being a rather good book and a nice read, will give you 40000 pages worth of material for this thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Orange Mage posted:

the beauty of English is that where I live these two words don't rhyme at all

:thejoke:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

This is a better fit for the Pet Peeve thread, but I hate how Wikipedia pronunciation tables give every European scrub-tier glorified accent its own line but shove all the Chinese languages into a single row. I understand they are considered "varieties of Chinese" and that's where people will look for them, but it still feels like Communist propaganda.

Maybe they all have the sound :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

duckmaster posted:

The symbol for infinity is an 8 on its side.

If you follow the line you keep going round and round and round and round. It's an infinite loop!

Yeah that was a good Ulysses 31 episode :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well I mean they all were.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Is it true that the Spanish lisp thing is on account of Charles II being horribly inbred and unable to pronounce things correctly?

Of course not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Goddamn Particle posted:

If you hit the TV Guide button on the remote during commercial breaks, all the obnoxious flashing ads meant to get your attention without sound get shrunk to 1/10th of the screen. It's the visual equivalent of a mute button.

I just browse teletext which covers it all (or not if you so choose) but most other countries don't have that anymore I guess?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Michael Parks in the movies

is the same guy as the Michael Parks on this record which I've had for years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

And the same guy who played Jean Renault in Twin Peaks.

gently caress, that was like 25 years ago? (Also I didn't have the record back then.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

I stand corrected on eggs, but still, no cheeseburgers? Weak.

Is american cheese a dairy product?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Depends, is High Fructose Corn Syrup, Petroleum by product and Citric Acid, dairy?

That's for the courts to decide.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No you see I am a FOOD DEFENDER on the Internet because it's important that huaghluaghuaghualguagh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roro posted:

I hate the texture of the fat in my mouth

But enough about goon oral sex.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roro posted:

:froggonk: Now I hate it even more!

Goons are are nice and probably taste good :shobon:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was reading Aku Ankka on the bog (as one does) and there was a Moby Duck story in it and it struck me that Moby (the musician, not the duck) is the only person in the world who can use "do you like Herman Melville?" as a bad pick-up line.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

If anyone wants to get mad about bad music opinions, just remember instead my friend who called The Eagles a one-hit wonder.

They weren't but they sure as hell are now. (If you can show me a bunch of people who actually still want to listen to Desperado or Tequila Sunrise, I'll call them a three-hit wonder but I don't think that's going to happen.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

Life in the Fastlane
Those Shoes
Lifes been good (whatever it's close enough)

...I got into the eagles in the mid 2000s lol

I might've heard of those songs but I sure as hell don't know any of them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The answer is still always David Mitchell.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HairyManling posted:

Do all Canadians pronounce it like Ricky from Trailer Park Boys does? "Deck-alls"? Or is that just part of his general lack of pronunciation and literacy?

He quite clearly pronounces it decnals tho :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I had to BIS Bill Paxton and I still don't know who he is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Aliens, Terminator, Titanic... basically if James Cameron were Adam Sandler dragging his crew around from project to project because who cares he'd be Rob Schneider.

I've seen Aliens and Terminator but I don't remember his face. I guess there were a bunch of more charismatic actors in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:psyduck: