Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cyberia posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a recent made-up term rather than some ~official~ dictionary-listed word and I hate it. It sounds so stupid, argh.

This is starting to sound like it could start a derail for several pages, but you'd expect the wrong of the nibling to be pretty epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The very top end of Australia is near-equatorial tropics so they really only have the wet/monsoon season and the dry season. The indigenous population had their own seasons:

quote:

For the Jawoyn people, from around Katherine near south east Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory, six seasons are described in the tropical zone in which they live:

- January–February: Summer (temperate zone), Wet (tropical zone), Jiorrk, the wet season
- March: Autumn (temperate zone), Wet(tropical zone) Bungarung, the end of the rains
- April–May: Autumn (temperate zone), Dry (tropical zone) Jungalk, the hot start of the dry
- June–July–August: Winter(temperate zone), Dry (tropical zone), Malaparr, the cooler, dry
- September–October: Spring (temperate zone), Dry (tropical zone), Worrwopmi, the humid time
- November–December: Spring/Summer (temperate zone), Wet (tropical zone), Wakaringding, the first rains

Wakaringding is a great word for a season, I wish we had Wakaringding down here in the south.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

InediblePenguin posted:

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival

Halloween was also originally a pagan harvest festival (which is why it features pumpkins and apples and other food so heavily) until it got hijacked by Christians and turned into a remembrance of the dead dealie.

Maybe Sentient Data is Australian? We don't really have a harvest festival here. People are starting to celebrate Halloween in Oz but there's still a lot of pushback against it for being "too American" and "just another over-commodified holiday" but mostly because Australians are lovely parochial fun-haters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh yeah.

In that case I have no idea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EmmyOk posted:

We were taught in school that it's when all the monsters came out so you had to dress up as a monster to blend in so they wouldn't eat the harvest.

They're called Native Americans, please show some respect

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Jul 3, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EmmyOk posted:

I'm not American you daft racist

Then why are you celebrating Thanksgiving???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Croccers posted:

they keep you warm and a decent one is thick/tough enough to stop you from getting too scuffed up on little bails.

Try wearing better pants or maybe a sports cup?

Edit: sorry, misread your post :blush:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

What I find crazy is that Finnish is apparently the only existing language that uses the proper name for the 12th month of the year: yule month.

'December' is absolutely the wrong name for the 12th month of the year, it translates to "10th month". Julius frickin' Caesar decided to gently caress around with the Roman calendar which originally only had 10 months but instead of inventing a new 11th and 12th month he added two extra months at the start of the year which meant that pretty much all of the other month names were wrong. Quintilis (5th month) and Sextilis (6th month) would have become the new 7th and 8th months except Caesar decided to rename them after himself and his buddy Augustus.

And that's why the calendar that most of the world uses today is dumb and wrong and all mixed up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

...aaaand it turns out he's actually super familiar, we've been watching him do this silly dance in the Charlie Brown Christmas special for decades:

The girl in purple is one of his sisters, either called 3 or 4. The other girl doing the exact same dance elsewhere on the stage is her twin sister.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scaramouche posted:

This isn't me, but was actually a co-worker a while ago. He'd just come back from a trip to London and was talking about all the Sherlock Holmes stuff he'd seen while there (221B Baker Street, etc.). He thought Sherlock Holmes was at one point, a real guy, as did his girlfriend who was on the trip with him. This apparently isn't unusual, in that a poll in 2014 found that close to 20% of people surveyed thought he was a real historic figure:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373505/One-Brits-think-Sherlock-Holmes-Miss-Marple-Blackadder-historical-figures.html

He was so weirded out when I told him. We had to go to Wiki and everything.

Yeah it's really common for people to believe that fictional things are real: Robin Hood, King Arthur, the Titanic, Robinson Crusoe, narwhals, etc etc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i thought monty python was a real person until i was twenty.

According to the lore they were stuck with the name 'Flying Circus' when the BBC said they'd already printed that name on their schedule and weren't prepared to change it and the cast decided to call the show "______'s Flying Circus" and went through a bunch of different names before choosing Monty Python. Apparently Michael Pail wanted to call the show 'Gwen Dibley's Flying Circus' after a woman he'd read about in the paper because he thought it'd be hilarious if this woman picked up a TV guide one day and discovered there was a TV show named after her.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pastry of the Year posted:

ah gently caress, I was on wookieepedia

Well that would explain the confusion, that article doesn't explain his origin at all
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Locust

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've had dumb arguments with people over whether monotremes like the platypus are mammals. They get really insistent that they're not. "But they lay eggs!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You could also use platypus eggs, milk and venom to make some delicious devilled eggs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

Aren't echindas also egg laying mammals?

Placental mammals (including humans) also lay eggs, they just gestate them internally.

It's always fun pointing this out to people who don't believe that platypuses are mammals, it blows their mind. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

but it doesn't mean much.

Well that's not what you told me last week YOU MONSTER :qq:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Frankston posted:

Not being allowed to say anything sounds lovely and you might as well just be watching a YouTube video at home. Hell, at least you could rewind the parts you don't get.

.... or play them at 1.5 speed if they're super boring!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Unkempt posted:

Huh. So what would a male version of 'Maria' be?

According to my 30 second google search one of the origins of the name Maria (there's apparently several) is the feminine version of the name Marius so the male version of the name would be ..... Mario.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Stress on the second syllable. Maria as a feminine form of Marius/Mario would have the stress on the first syllable.

Wait, Mario is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable?

Stuff I just figured out: well that explains why the Gamestop guys are always laughing at me :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dirksteadfast posted:

"quesadilla"

I pronounce that as "kwess- addiler"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the Roman calendar had a weird history, it's come up in this thread before:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'December' is absolutely the wrong name for the 12th month of the year, it translates to "10th month". Julius frickin' Caesar decided to gently caress around with the Roman calendar which originally only had 10 months but instead of inventing a new 11th and 12th month he added two extra months at the start of the year which meant that pretty much all of the other month names were wrong. Quintilis (5th month) and Sextilis (6th month) would have become the new 7th and 8th months except Caesar decided to rename them after himself and his buddy Augustus.

And that's why the calendar that most of the world uses today is dumb and wrong and all mixed up.

Besesoth posted:

Today you get to learn about Roman calendars!

The calendar already had 12 months when our boy Julius got to it. The ten-month calendar was the traditional Roman calendar dating back at least to the founding of Rome; it started with March (Mensis Martius) and ended with December (Mensis December); each month alternated 30 and 31 days, with about 50 days of intercalary days at the end of the year (between Saturnalia and the beginning of March). "Intercalary" means what you think it does; they didn't have a month associated with them and were just sort of there. Moreover, the old Roman calendar called for a year of 360 days. This was not particularly clever of them.

When the last of the Tarquins was overthrown and the Roman Republic began, the Romans decided that the Greeks had a pretty good idea with their lunar calendar, so they borrowed it. The Greek calendar had 29.5-day lunar months and so alternated between 29 and 30 days per month; the year was 368 days long and required intercalary days every four years to get things back to where they were supposed to be. The Romans didn't want to get rid of their old calendar entirely, though, so they sort of haphazardly slapped 31-day months into the calendar, added two new months in at the new beginning of the year called Mensis Ianuarius and Mensis Februarius, and had a 23-day intercalary month right after them to keep things nice and adjusted.

This was MORE clever of them than the previous calendar had been, but still not particularly clever. Intercalary days are a pain in the rear end.

Also, those two new months? Added around 500 BCE, more than 400 years before our boy Julius was born.

46 BCE rolled around and Julius noticed that the calendar, although it was more accurate than the old calendar, had still drifted about eighty days off course, with the end of the calendar year happening at the beginning of autumn. So he said, "look, gently caress the Tarquins, gently caress the Greeks, this is stupid, let's fix it." His proposal added the missing 80-odd days to 46 BCE (making it 445 days long), and then standardized the lengths of the months to what we know today: alternating 30 and 31 days, with pairs of 31s at the middle and end of the year, and a 28-day February with an extra leap day every fourth year to keep things on track.

Incidentally, he had nothing to do with renaming the months. That was all the Senate, and in fact happened after he died; Quintilis was renamed Iulius in that month 44 BCE, in honor of our boy's birthday, and Sextilis was renamed Augustus in 8 BCE because according to the Senate, many of the important events of Augustus's reign had occurred in that month.

(Then, 1600 years later, Pope Gregory XIII decided to account for the year being just a sliver shorter than 365.25 days, and we got the modern Gregorian calendar.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mighty Moltres posted:

C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll were not the same person.

They probably were in the Marvel/DC comics crossover Amalgam Universe, if that makes you feel any better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Pretty sure "avocado" is actually Aztec for "testicle."

Oh come on, at least put some effort into your fakeposts :rolleyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Besesoth posted:

The thread title isn't an invitation to just make stuff up :colbert:

I'm gonna make poo poo up and there ain't squat you can do about it, buster. :colbert:

Uh, let's see ..... uh, 'muscles' were originally called 'mouse-cles' because when you flex it looks like there's little mice jumping around under your skin. Boy, were people surprised when the Dark Ages ended and they were finally allowed to dissect dead bodies and find out what was really in there!

Many people think that the dungeons & dragons monsters called Kobolds are named after the mineral cobalt but it was actually the other way around.

'Noon' comes from the Latin word for 'nine' because it happens at the 9th hour of the day. But then someone decided to move it to 12 o'clock for some reason?

'Antarctic' means "No bears here!" because someone went and checked and there weren't any bears there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I heard the Mr. Mister song 'Kyrie' on the radio the other day. I hadn't heard it for a decade at least and I'd always vaguely assumed it was about a woman because Kyrie sounds a bit like Kirrily and the song seems to be addressed to someone ("Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow?) and I never really listened to it that closely anyway.

It turns out that "Kyrie eleison" is Greek for "Lord, have mercy".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait, Americans pronounce solder without the L? I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I literally don't think I've ever heard it and can't imagine how it sounds like that. What O sound is it? It feels like I consume enough American media that I should have come across this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwIHFmagmyk

Edit: you should see how they pronounce 'colonel', it's a travesty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2pkUecLaxI

Edit 2: oh jeez they really gently caress this one up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhANvLXAmb8

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Oct 10, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have never heard anyone do that in my life.

Here in Australia we usually pronounce 'almond' as 'armand' (which also seems to be the UK pronunciation) but I usually pronounce the 'l' because I like to appear mysterious and enticing to strangers but also because I'm really loving annoying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkV_Gfgpi8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

What's the third city? I count Sydney, Melbourne and then I'm at a loss.

Adelaide, they at least have some festivals which people fly in for.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zero One posted:

All the French street names around Detroit are pronounced wrong.

Gratiot
Dequindre
Charlevoix
Dix

Also "Detroit" itself.

Maybe they should start pronouncing it the French way "Dee Twaa" to make it sound fancier, might help spruce up the place.

Here in Australia there was a brief phase of people pronouncing Target (the big box store full of cheap crap) as "Tar-jay".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hawowanlawow posted:

I didn't know what the gently caress the characters meant by "sig-uh"

No one ever found out, it's still a mystery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ&t=60s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

walrusman posted:

Are the Animaniacs really supposed to be cats? Huh.

They're not any specific kind of animal. Creator Tom Ruegger said their species is “Cartoonus Characterus.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Bones posted:

in general, a bird probably has a longer neck than you'd think by looking at it.

Legs too!

Edit: owls are simultaneously much smaller and longer but also bigger and wider than you realise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSGHNfxxDjw&t=33s

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Nov 22, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karatela posted:

I learned yesterday that Diagon Alley in Harry Potter stuff is literally "diagonally"and a bad pun.

One of the streets running of Diagon Alley is Knockturn Alley (where they have shops dedicated to the Dark Arts)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karatela posted:

:aaaaa: and I had to work that out for a minute.

How the gently caress many more of these are there that my broken brain missed.

There are hundreds of pun names in the Harry Potter series :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

For those not in the know:
Gallipoli was the place where the Australians lost a battle so badly it forced them to develop their own national identity instead of just being tanned Englishmen.

Tarantula posted:

Don't forget New Zealand.

Corrected statement:

quote:

Gallipoli was the place where the Australians lost a battle so badly it forced them to forget New Zealand and also develop their own national identity instead of just being tanned Englishmen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Icochet posted:

I just love this picture. The owl is so intent on loving me up that some joker basically lifting it's skirt up down doesn't invoke a reaction, if anything it just makes it angrier at ME.

It's such a good picture I can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Science has shown that once an owl fixates on something it's almost impossible to make it turn away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYL7fa3rxV0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alternative option: just use the search feature it's tyool 2018

I downloaded all my music from Limewire in 2003 so half the files are misspelled anyway

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

today i learned that the french have a phrase for the urge to be a goon. “l’appel de l’escalier” :france:

C'est vrais, je suis protégé

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

oh yeah, do the commonwealth countries even do the ABC song? because doesn’t their hosed up “zed” thing gently caress up the whole rhyming structure at the end?

Yeah we do the ABC song and our pronunciation of 'Z' does gently caress up the rhyming structure but we just go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I love that Mr. Bad Guy was yelling at SLOSifl for copying his "Obvious Brand Name as a Surname" joke after the Simpsons did it 27 years ago in the Flaming Moes episode. :v: