Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Jail and prison mean the same thing (over here anyway, I think they’re slightly different in the US) but jailer and prisoner are opposites.

That's because 'jail' is a verb as well as a noun, and a jailer is a person who jails others. I guess 'imprisoner' would be the equivalent for 'prison'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Are you saying you pronounce "draught" as "drott"? Because that is not how you pronounce "draught".

Actually that's exactly how it's pronounced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P_pOYPQN-4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fruit on the bottom posted:

You managed to rhyme Constantinople with Connect Four?

If you'd gone with Trouble instead of Connect Four we could have completed the circle with an Istanbul gag :mad:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fruit on the bottom posted:

I gotta be honest I don’t know that one

I keep forgetting that I'm really fuckin' old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfznucMwNuU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

I think you just finally gave me a way to remember which way port is.

It's easy if you're right handed because in ancient times they used to hold the steering board (stēorbord/stýri borð, a primitive type of rudder) off to the side and because most people are right handed it was usually on the right, so starboard is to the right.

The opposite side of the boat is the larboard (ladebord, the side the boat is loaded from) but that sounded too much like starboard so in 1844 the Royal Navy went "Nah we'll just call it port."

If you think these terms suck then blame the Vikings and the British Royal Navy.

rydiafan posted:

It's stupid as gently caress that "explanation" doesn't contain "explain".

An explanation is when an explanator tells you the plan! :eng101:

The original Latin root word was explanare ("make level, flatten", derived from planus "flat", which was used in the sense "make clear, make plain") and the 'i' got added in at some later date.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

Although I did grad school with a girl who pronounced it "pronounciation" and when corrected, didn't acknowledge she was doing anything wrong.

I sometimes pronounce 'emphasis" as "em-PHA-sis" because I love dad jokes. :dadjoke:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Once you've decanted your port after dinner you always pass it to the left. Port => left.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Flyball posted:

I know, and I'm not the one who wrote keelhull.

Sure you did:

Flyball posted:

keelhull.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

No, I mean "wait what they're two separate people?"

Did you think one was a character that was played by the other, like Steve Coogan and Alan Partridge?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

iajanus posted:

Greatest Christmas song of all time

They raised a ton of money for charity, pissed off Simon Cowell and got a Guinness world record for 'Fastest-selling digital track (UK)' at the same time. A true Christmas miracle. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

A false etymological history myth.

How in the hell did you fit two tautologies in a five word sentence?

ImNotEvenMadThatsAmazing.gif

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chillbro Baggins posted:

The younger men in Mythbusters (Grant and that annoying white guy) are pushing fifty. They were around 40 when the show was a big thing. Kari's a few years younger.

Yeah Grant and Tory were both born in 1970, they're only 3 years younger than Adam Savage. Jamie on the other hand is 61, he's 11 years older than Adam.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fun fact: 'adult' and 'adolescent' are both from the same Latin root word adolescere (grow up, come to maturity, ripen) but 'adolescent' is from the present participle tense adolescentem (growing, approaching maturity, ripening) and 'adult' is from the past participle tense adultus (grown, matured, ripe)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A guy I know apparently just had a big argument with someone over the definition of the word "several" because he was dead sure it meant "seven-ish".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just checked the Oxford, Cambridge and Merriam-Webster dictionaries and they all defined it as "two or a few" or "an indefinite small number" in the context of numbers of objects.

purple death ray posted:

A married couple is not 3-5 people though

Words can have different meanings in different contexts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

The people who believes it only means two are agressive. Its happened to me a couple of times where someone interupted me mid sentence to point that out.

Yeah I know those people. You can point out to them that every dictionary says they're wrong but they still won't accept it, or they'll back out of the argument with something like "Ugh, whatever, I'm bored of talking about!" it rather than admitting they were wrong and then the next time it comes up in conversation they'll go back to their original claim.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

purple death ray posted:

Well the truth is that neither party is right. Clinging to dictionary definitions of words is essentially admitting that you've lost the argument. Language is defined by the people speaking it and there's tons of things in common usage that aren't "right" according to the dictionary.

If neither party is completely right then the millions and millions of people using the word as it's defined in the dictionary are still way way more right than the handful of people using it differently.

purple death ray posted:

All I know is I mostly encounter the "words mean things!!" crowd when someone is trying to deny some group of people rights, such as clinging to a dictionary that defines marriage as between a man and a woman, or being extremely literal about racial distinctions so they can deny being huge racists (Islam isn't a race! You're the real bigot!).

On the flipside there's also a growing trend for conservative politicians and media pundits using 'weasel words' like "illegal" or "urban" or "un-American values" as dog whistles instead of using the words as they've traditionally been used in the past.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
AIR-inn, if you want to be classy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiX78kzMVjk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Most folks'll never lose a toe
But then again, some forecastle
Like Cletus, the Slack-Jawed Yocastle

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

No, it just doesn't have that name in Canada.

Which is weird because Canadian Bacon is named after Frank Canadian, the inventor. (Also he pronounces his surname as "Can-ARD-iun" so everyone's been saying it wrong.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

Meanwhile we already have a word for "horse-sized duck", that word is "dinosaur" and I don't want to fight a friggin dinosaur.

You don't even have to go that far back, back in the Miocene era we had the Bullockornis aka Thunderduck aka Demon Duck of Doom

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Dr. Victor Frankenstein was the true monster, forcing some guy resting in peace to live again.
Someone write an essay about this awesome and totally original thought I just had.

They made it a bit more obvious in Spielberg's 1993 remake
https://i.imgur.com/O5260Q2.gifv

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hirayuki posted:

I thought a biopic (which I still think is a dumb word for a biographical film) was pronounced like "myopic". I also momentarily thought the word was Afrikaans. :iiam:

According to this random and unverified youtube video the 'wrong' pronunciation is the Australian way of saying it :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I93KIrfDwA8

Please also note that the word 'Youtube" is pronounce "Yoot-obey"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IxtXtdygrk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Something I just heard about for the first time: Häagen-Dazs icecream isn't Danish at all, it was created in Brooklyn in 1961 by two Jewish guys who just made up a brand name that sounded foreign. Apparently Danish doesn't even have umlauts or the 'zs' letter combination.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Something I just realized MOST people don’t know: one of the little symbols you ignore on your packaged food items is telling you the kosher status of the food. For ex a little u in a circle on sabra hummus.

They need a subtler symbol for Halal food, racists in Australia regularly freak out because they think that Halal certification funds terrorism therefore buying any food with the Halal symbol means they're SHOVELLING MONEY INTO ISIS' EVIL POCKETSSSSSSSS!!11!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bell jar posted:

More HSPs for me, inshallah

You're going to break Pauline Hanson's heart you monster

[keep going]

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dross posted:

Both existed. Mr. T came first.

Chewbacca lost a game of Soggy Biscuit to Mr T?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EvilGenius posted:

People I thought were black based on hearing their voice before actually seeing them or knowing who they were:

Balloo the Bear in Disney's Jungle Book.

Phil Harris may have been a white dude but it sounds like he was a big fan of what 'dear old Mammy' had in 'the basement' if you know what I mean :heysexy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_dK0W0qfRo
(The song was originally written by noted African-American lyricist Andy Razaf but Phil made it his signature tune)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

purple death ray posted:

Whoa hey now I don't condone cruelty to wage slaves, just passing along a thing I heard at some point. Probably not even true and the guy was just trying to get people to cuss at a robot.

I highly suspect that a bunch of those 'robots' are wage slaves in overseas call centres that are silently listening in on the responses people give to the pre-recorded messages and manually entering into the system because some corporate "customer behaviorist" realised that if customers think they're talking to a robot then they immediately answer the questions without wasting time and they also don't get infuriated because the operators "sound foreign".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Josie and the Pussycats were not originally an all-black group.

They were very nearly an all white group when the animated TV series was being created. Hanna Barbera asked a music label to put together a real life girl group based on the comicbook and produce some songs so the record producer found three girls who matched the comicbook characters and presented them to Hanna Barbera who then went "Ohhhhhh you got an African American .... we were planning on making them all white .... can we have a do over?" and the record producer went "gently caress no" and stood his ground. Hanna Barbera relented after a few weeks and agreed to not change the character's race, and that's how we got the first regularly appearing female African American character in Saturday morning cartoon series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josie_and_the_Pussycats_(album)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ommin posted:

So Scrooge McDuck was created in the 40's, based on the character from Dicken's novel but not a direct adaptation, then doesn't portray his namesake until 1983. :psyboom:
How have I never made this connection before? Wow.

Scrooge's first appearance was a 1947 Donald Duck comic where he invites Donald and his nephews to stay at his cabin in the woods for Christmas but plans to play a mean prank on them because he hates Christmas. It wasn't a direct adaptation of Dickens but he was still a miserly old oval office treating people like poo poo at Christmas just because he could but in the end he learns his lesson and has a change of heart.

Here's the first few pages:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randaconda posted:

That Homo erectus only went extinct about 27,000 years ago.

Do you mean Neanderthals? H.erectus were never contemporaneous with modern H.sapiens as far as I know.

Homo floresiensis (aka Hobbits) held out until as recently as 12,000 years ago. Some small pockets of mammoth populations survived up until 4,000 years ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a handy list of Holocene extinctions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_extinctions_in_the_Holocene

Moas survived into the 1400s, giant armored turtles survived until 3,000 years ago, the last giant ground sloths died out maybe 5,000 years ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

To add to that: I had an argument with my English(!) teacher in Year 9 about how to pronounce the name Siobhan. I might not know how Saoirse is pronounced but I know for a fact there's no one named see-OB-han in the world.

You went to school in a Key & Peele sketch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JPzDokbNs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Looks pretty clearly like someone's pre-cut it like that in that one?

I mean not that I'm not definitely gonna buy some pineapple tomorrow and try it. Worst case scenario I have pineapple to eat.

Pineapple plants are in the bromeliad family and when they flower they produce a cluster of dozens and dozens of thin pointy fruits which eventually merge together to form what we call a pineapple.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

beefnoodle posted:

Clearly you're a porpoise.

If they get angry you should consider your reasons for taking part in this conversation, you don't want to be posting at cross porpoises.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were misnamed. The guy who was good with technology and inventing things should have been the one called Leonardo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bony tony posted:

It's a Pottery Petting Zoo

Edit: the mausoleum complex of Emperor Jing, the sixth emperor of the Western Han Dynasty, is pretty bad rear end

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bell jar posted:

To eat wooden butter, duh

That poo poo is delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

refrigerating butter so that it can't be spread is definitely stupid

Just make sure you have enough spare batteries on hand for your heated butter knife???

Or just splash out for a rechargeable heated butter knife if that's a problem???

Or just buy a thermally conductive titanium butter knife that uses the body warmth from your hand????