Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Infyrno posted:

The story relates to the apocalypse?

Nice questionable etymology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Does all this mean that lederhosen were intended to be worn by journalists?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Do what thou wilt

Very impressive magic on Yeats side to turn Crowley's signature phrase against him 4 years before it was dictated (allegedly :can:) to him.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The British use Traveller as they have two distinct and unrelated groups of Travelers. The Romani and Irish Travellers (Mincéirí).

There's also New Age Travellers. Basically hippies/crusties. But that's a different can of worms.

Which might be a little generic but preferable to racial slurs.

Only two? smdh There are also the Scottish Highland Travellers (usual slur being "tinks") who are recorded as far back as the 12th century (and are not relocated Irish Travellers), and the travelling fairground/market showmen families some of whom have possibly been around since the late medieval period. The Romani also have several distinct regional lineages (e.g. the Welsh Kale).

:can: og New Age Travellers =/= "Basically hippies/crusties". There was a fundamental and massive DIY anarcho-punk influence at their roots* and a non-negligible rasta input**. Crusties appropriated chunks of the aesthetic but didn't generally pick up the essential practical skills needed for a life on the road.
There was also a later offshoot of the NA Travellers that returned to exclusively horse-drawn transport (though afaik most of them ended up leaving Britain because this is a hard lifestyle when local councils constantly freak out over attempts to graze your horse on "public" land or verges, and entitled twats in cars keep calling the cops cos your slow moving transport delayed their oh so vital journey) and a very recent trend of stealth travellers using vehicles that aren't visibly designed to live in.

*See Penny Rimbaud of Crass' excellent book The Last of the Hippies for more.
** Marley's Redemption Song being a perennial campfire favourite for example.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
A E I O U lists the vowels alphabetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait til you hear about the lyrics to the alphabet song. Might want to sit down

Since the whole drat point of the alphabet song is to teach the alphabet in alphabetical order it'd be pretty bloody pointless to have them in any other one.

Though

"O G I M N X T C
Y L singin' out my F H Z,
Q E D on my new P V,
A K B 3 S the one for me,
smoked a fat J up in a tree
a W now U R to cross-eyed me ."

does have a certain something I guess, and potential for a lucrative sponsorship deal.

I'd just really never thought about the order of A E I O U before because why would you? It's a nice logical phonic progression as well as being in order.