Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

As funny as all the new White Wolf stuff from Paradox looks, why not make Crusader Kings by Night and just set the game in some big city your vampire rules neighborhood by neighborhood. This is why I was excited about Paradox being involved in WoD in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

All this ghost chat is making me really wish Wraith 20 was out. Wraith was always my favorite oWoD game, so I was super excited when Geist came out.

It seemed like a pretty neat idea, but the total lack of support it got was pretty unfortunate. Hearing that there is a book about Ghosts after all makes me want to pick that up. I just wish Geist wasn't such a mess regardless.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Part of me is definitely glad that even discussing if Hunters are supernatural can't escape the horrible gravity of Magechat.

I like Hunter the Vigil well enough, but I feel like I am the only person who prefers Hunter the Reckoning. I am sure it has to do with playing Reckoning a lot in High school, but I like the idea of regular people that are ultimately ruined utterly trying to save the world. There are many mechanical problems, but the splatbooks did a good job of making the creeds make sense.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

Honestly I find Vigil to be much better at humans fighting off monsters, seeing as in Reckoning the Hunters are just as supernatural as the things they fight.

I actually liked that was a thing your character had to think about. Especially once you had books like the Wayward creed book. The idea that Hunters could be way worse than the monsters was neat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I watched Dr Strange for the first time last night and all I could think was that these Guardians of the Veil are heavily invested in Correspondence.

Definitely made me think that Mage would actually be Good and Cool to play.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Is DrivethruRPG print on demand the only way to get physical books anymore? I got a physical copy of mummy from them and was happy with it, but it is not the same as a traditionally printed book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Thanks for the info. I really like buying all my RPG stuff digitally now because when I move house I am not lugging any more than the 1000+ books I bought mostly in the old days. (Back when print RPGs were a thing)

While not as good as a physical book, having them all on a tablet for reading is a huge improvement honestly. Still, I can't run something without owning a physical core book at least. Reference is so much easier. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and get copies of CoD and Werewolf 2e next paycheck.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Does Onyx Path own Exalted? I know that they own Scion and Trinity.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Has their been any word on C20? It is one of the only Onyx Path kickstarters I didn't back so I don't get the updates.

Also, so excited for Wraith 20. It was the only line I collected all the books for, so I guess I am fine with a really good version taking longer. Maybe I can convince my friends to play a campaign longer than a session or two now that we are not in high school. (No, no one ever plays Wraith :smith:)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Part of me wants to get C20 when it hits that first sale. It was always the game line I wanted to know more about, but everything I did learn seemed off putting even as a teenager.

I remember looking through the autumn people book in the game store and thinking it pretty crazy that being adult was this insane Soul Crushing Inevitability, unless you were actively mentally ill. But somehow some Changelings could lives for decades?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

It's a 100% American viewpoint that, as a result, says the rest of the world just isn't as metaphysically important. Which if you're not living in the US is pretty offensive? American suffering is important, the suffering of other people isn't as important.

It is unfortunate to be sure, but I imagine the bulk of the people working on this are American. Even if not, I assume that the USA is probably the biggest market for RPGs? It will always be easier to write about other countries and their experiences if you are not from there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Spector29 posted:

Are there any games that were particularly damaged by the shift to 2nd ed?

Not really. Some games (especially Werewolf) got tremendously better.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Or, and this is crazy, you can work as a pack and take down a warform werewolf together? In the game I played, I think I was the only player to actually go into garou form and that was to save our wolf blooded member from the dragur.

Absolutely this. They don't really present Death Rage as being a good thing to do.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ironslave posted:

Oh come on, when has asking your playerbase to steer the metaplot for your gameline ever ended up-

wait, wait, poo poo. gently caress.

The greatest L5R era was the period where the Unicorn Clan did everything (and were always secretly helped by the Ratlings).

Glad FFG is burning the story back down to its foundation, and setting it even a little before that for good measure.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just revealed what is happening at white wolf to some friends in a Facebook group. This is my favorite reaction so far.

"man their blog has been full of hits, scrolling down, the posts since it started are:

A DMCA Complaint
A post announcing swedish rape-con coming to america
A post announcing a mobile game
A post saying the guy who made the mobile game is not actually bad, we looked at his posts
A post apologizing for the mobile game
A post announcing an employee
A post announcing new vampire playtest!
A post apologizing for that playtest"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

PST posted:

This is one of the many things that piss me off about how they're handling it as well (and i've yoinked the captain america comment to quote elsewhere), Swedracula's sole involvement was 7 months working on a failed WoD MMO. And no one else at White Wolf has any history or involvment. They've hired Hite but I can only assume he's still getting up to speed, because he's never released anything anywhere near as poo poo and badly written as that playtest. Or has any involvement in the responses, because he deals with customers/consumers way, way better than WW are.

I can only assume that Kenneth Hite is only on board as a hired gun to hammer out some game rules and then grab his check and move on. I have liked his stuff in general historically, and was excited about him being on this project.

Can't win them all, I guess. :shrug:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

It is weird to me that Mummy is a part of these. I can't see them bringing it into line with the new editions anytime soon (if ever)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kurieg posted:

"Oh mah god king, that man's got a family."
"No he doesn't, JR, his family has been dead for centuries. All that's left is the hunger."
Just like the deep all consuming hunger we have for Jack Links Beef Jerky."

:allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Geist should be about playing as a Geist and possessing a once-dead body should be one of several strategies for interacting with the corporeal world!!!

All this ghost chat has got me really excited about Wraith again.

:choco:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

People are really concerned that while playing Hunter they are also not playing Mage? I mean, why not just not have Capital M Mages not be a thing a Hunter ever encounters. There are plenty of magic using Bad Dudes out there otherwise, if you want them to be. Just run your game how you like ultimately. :shrug:

Can any conversation truly escape Mage Chat?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

That description of Mummy sounds...worrisome. I like the bits of lore stuff I've picked up skimming the ww wiki, so I'm hoping it's not actually that bad.

Mummy is a game I would really love to play, but heaps of words aside it has all the problems of Prometheans intensely personal story with even less reason for a party of Mummy Pals to exist or really even know each other. Everyone having a cult is really neat and thematic, but every PC having dozens of minions makes it weird even in small groups.

I really love the idea of a reverse power cycle and really obvious adventure paradigm. Regaining your memory and realizing your bosses are some real jerks is pretty good structure for a story. I just want to play Mummy and not Cultist: the Helping.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 17, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Also, Mummy 2E was announced.

:toot:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I assume that the reason for them using a lot of manipulated photography as art in Vampire 5th is a cost cutting measure.

Tim Bradstreet might be sick of drawing trenchcoats I suppose, but that seems doubtful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Daeren posted:

When I ran Vampire, I deliberately turned a small town in Oregon into a larger metro area specifically so I had license to improvise and make poo poo up about the city (and not worry about a 1:1 map) without being completely unmoored from any real-world inspirations.

Of course, I really doubt that's the angle these people were using.

Yeah, this is what I basically did when I run Vampire for my yearly Halloween game. Having never really lived in a major metropolitan area, anything I would know about say New York City would have about the same level of verisimilitude as any other non real place I create whole cloth.

One of the things that I like about Ars Magica is also true in Vampire. The vampire population is so small that you have a fair chance of knowing half the vampire population personally, and probably know all the others by name and reputation.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just saw that the Wraith 20 PDF may actually come out fairly soon! I am extremely excited but I should know better...

:ohdear:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Having played Aberrant it definitely was much better when we went from being super heroes to just people with powers. The only PC super hero was a really put upon working man with a serious gambling problem who had to be a franchise hero to keep the Super Mafia from killing his family.

Good times.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Geist did have a criminal lack of soulforging as the basic problem solving tool.

Maybe Wraith 20 will release on day... :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think Mummy gets a bad rap but I really like the concept. I think the real problem is that unlike the other game lines there is only the one story you can do. Having a group of players who have no knowledge of the world from reading all the books in the product line (like every other RPG on Earth) is important to get Mummy to do what it is designed to do, so you need players who won't spoil things by reading ahead but who also have enough interest to want to play Mummy over a full campaign of slowly recovering memories.

This talk about Geist has got me really excited though. Wraith is by far my favorite role-playing game so when Geist first came out I was a little disappointed, but the total lack of support it received made it easy to forget about. A second edition took Werewolf the Forsaken from my least favorite NWOD game to maybe my favorite so a big turn around is definitely something I know can be done.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Part of me wonders if I will get Geist 2nd before Wraith 20.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I Am Just a Box posted:

Although it does remind me, was Wraith one of the WoD games where one of the corebook editions made the small but crucial oversight of forgetting to specify how you refill your Ghost Juice?

Pretty sure you just hang out where the emotions from your passions are happening and suck them up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

En Fuego posted:

Have people made a functional switch to a d20 system? I'd imagine you could skin it on something with relative ease.

:yikes:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Looks like Wraith 20 might actually be our to backers fairly soon.

:ghost:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is The V20 Dark Ages Bundle worth getting it I don't have a nostalgic history with oWoD?

The Dark Ages stuff for Vampire was always really good, and I was really happy with these re-releases. This is a great time period to do a Vampire game, for sure.

If you are a classic horror fan these are great read, and I prefer this to modern vampire.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

All Werewolves Can:

Awuuuuu!

Thanks a ton! I am planning on running Werewolf for some new players soon and giving them this list will be a huge help.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

nofather posted:

I was just going to ask if there are monsters in the Underworld (old World of Darkness), or just spectres and wraiths.

Apparently there's things called Whistimmu? Are they common or meant to be rare antagonists? They seem Tempest-only. Are there land-based things?

There are also (we must imagine spooky) horses that the noble ghost knights have that came from near their underworld city. In addition to being a huge ocean, there is a long and winding river in the underworld and rivers by necessity have banks. Pretty sure the implication is you mostly don't go exploring because of the danger though, unless you are a desperate band of renegades or heretics.

gently caress, I haven't read my Wraith books in so long I have forgotten all the Proper Nouns. Wraith20 now please. :ghost:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Seeing Mage Chat always makes me wish Ars Magica was more popular.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

The driver of setting conflict is 'it is 1220 AD, comma, one of the most politically active periods in Real World History, and also there is a ton of poo poo to poke your nose in if you want to study lost or ancient or secret magic.'

e: Like, just off the top of my head: Albigensian Crusade, the coronation of Emperor Frederick II, the aftermath of the Fourth Crusade and Latin Empire, the Livonian Crusade is still going, there's an active crusade in Egypt too, King Henry III of England gets re-coronated because it turns out that his first one got carried out wrong and he didn't have God's blessing, the Mongols are invading the Middle East, the Reconquista is getting into high gear...

E2: Also, you're a wizard in this world. And the Devil is real. And so is God. I mean, their war is basically orthogonal to wizarding life but the world around you isn't.

I really like so much about Ars Magica. Most of the draw for me is living the life of a scholarly academic who actually had to be really self motivated to want to do research and become famous or just amass books and study other people's work and become incredibly personally powerful. All the other wizards are doing the same thing so it is a lot about politics and getting allies to help you vote in wizard Congress and fighting petty squabbles over perceived slights.

You also have lesser characters you also play who go off and have d+D style adventures on your behalf. I really like that reading a really good book for a season is better than a bunch of looting and murder (unless you are stealing books during Wizards War):smugwizard:

The sourcebooks are also interesting and educational looks at The 12th century, a good bonus

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's also getting a Gumshoe adaptation at some point to play Wizard cops, though I'm not sure where that's at in development.

This sounds amazing. One of my favorite characters is definitely wizard cop who loves pinning minor crimes on rivals. Just make sure you can handle magic duels!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Wraith sounds like The Best Game just from these two lines.

It is pretty easy when it is the best game.

gently caress Wraith20 can't come soon enough, though I have been waiting years at this point. Soulforging being so important to survival is so loving from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I think my favorite thing about Wraith is their solution to "where do you put everyone who's ever died" is a combination of "the empire is vast and terrible" and "well, mostly we make stuff out of them."

Getting made into a soulsteel girder to literally become a bulwark against Oblivion is a great threat to hold over a party. And don't forget that even though one coin is one soul, you can cut it up to make change.