Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
If I had to guess, Demons are probably singled out to protect the paranoia that's core to Demon. Demons are fairly undetectable, it can be hard to tell if you're even talking to the same Demon at times as long as they're in Cover, so having Beast be Demon detectors would kinda ruin that I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Crion posted:

I don't think that alone explains it. Changelings are just as paranoid as Demons -- and their Mask roughly as impenetrable, unless that's been nerfed recently -- but Beasts apparently have no problem with them.

See, I don't think so. Changeling are often very paranoid people, but that's because Changeling is about abuse and madness. Changeling paranoia is the result of their abuse, its the most chronic form of madness they suffer. It's very much part of the game, but its not the core of the game. Changeling is much more about what you suffered and your personal quest to try and piece it all back together as best you can.

Demon is about Paranoia from moment one. Just as all the sub themes in Changeling branch out from the core theme of abuse, all the sub themes of Demon go back to Paranoia.

I mean go back to how Enscrolling works. A Changeling normally suffers a breaking point for having his Mien revealed because of the trauma involved, unless he Enscrolls the mortal because he is controlling the encounter with this thing that makes him vulnerable. There's a safe way to out yourself in Changeling, compared to Demons who risk discovery every time they out themselves no matter what.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Crion posted:

First, that's not really a defense.

Second, I've yet to see any "cooler version of Beast" that didn't creep further thematically into another nWoD line's already established niche. Most of the New Versions of the game presented here involve colonizing Changeling or Wraith's game-space.

It's a bit of a problem that even the Core Book has. Beasts, as written, are basically Mages, they're suppose to go out and explore the spooky scaries of World of Darkness because that's how you can make some cool and interesting Nightmares, or as it would be in Mage, go out and explore the mysteries of the World of Darkness to get some sweet Arcane xp.

There is something about Beast I like, I think there's a way to make the core idea of a being having this bloody and grim calculus of how much damage does he have to do to stop himself from going full monster. But even if the presentation wasn't so awful, I'd have no idea what to do with them, which is the single greatest sin. So much word count is wasted on these stupid ascension ideas (though I do like the, become an Astral Spirit if you gently caress up bad enough, one) and on how boring Heroes are, it's baffling to me that they couldn't find something to par down to actually talk about what Beasts do, especially in a Beast only game. It's all well and good to make the crossover splat, but to have the gall to say Beast is a complete game without any crossover is mind blowing.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Crion posted:

Honestly my biggest source of confusion is that making Changelings into powerful, badass supernaturals that have to be sneaky by nature but are expected to face-off against foes roughly their own power level -- whether they be treasonous brethren or direct servitors of a vast, terrifying alien intelligence -- while playing a slow, long-term strategic game against a world-bending monster that never appears on screen until perhaps the very end...completely steps all over Demon. OPP already puts out a game to do all this stuff in, and if the problem is aesthetics, the aesthetics aren't hard to change.

Even "better."

This is my problem with Huntsmen, they're basically Angels, but for Changeling.

I like Demon a lot, when I first read it my reaction was that it was basically a more action oriented Changeling with more focus on the paranoia and less on the idea of ever fixing yourself. I hope I'm wrong, but you know, worst comes to worst Huntsmen seem completely ignorable and it's not like its hard to brew up some Gentry, my 1st ed books aren't going anywhere.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Don't forget that weird poo poo just happens in WoD as well, it doesn't hurt to give them a sudden and mysterious lead, ideally that will give you two plot hooks, one where the lead is pointing and the other to whoever or whatever dropped the lead. My Hunter game started with every Hunter in the city waking up with a deck of playing cards by them, each card has the name of a monster on it, organized by type. So if all goes well, my players have 53 plot hooks, a mess of monsters they can pursue and also, where the hell did this deck of cards come from and who wants all these Monsters dead?

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm disappointed we didn't get Devil in the White City Requiem, but not enoguh to pull my peldge over it! To The Strongest is worth it alone.

And who knows, maybe the Beast era will save the game. Is it done by the same team as normal Beast? What era is it even covering?

Same team as far as I know, and they choose to set it in the reconstruction era. So no, this will not save that game.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Doodmons posted:

I'm largely of the opinion that in 2E the Claws of the Unholy merit is relatively pointless. It's hard to use effectively unless you're good at riding the wave and TBH if you're going up against a combat character you're actually better off not having it, since 2L is better than 0A if the enemy have Resilience (hint, they're a combat character, they totally do)

It is rather annoying that OPP went back on their promise to make Agg harder to get the moment they started writing things that weren't Vampire, though. Vampires can only get Agg with Protean 4 and a 4 dot merit and then there's no weapon bonus, or with a Cruac ritual that has a big downside. Beasts, Demons, Werewolves, Changelings and Mages can just shart out Agg all day erry day with as much weapon bonus as they want. The Supernatural Lethal category seems to have gone the way of the dodo almost immediately, apparently.

In the one core book that has been released since Vampire, we've seen supernatural lethal used for Werewolf fangs.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Kurieg posted:

Sort of?

In response to people saying that Heroes were actually pretty sympathetic as villains and would probably be better Protags than Beasts are, the Heroes chapter of the Beast Book has them acting like Natty-Ice swilling Dudebros high fiving each other over all the beasts they killed. Followed by a section informing you that "No see they're all really bad people cause they have low integrity. If you want to play an actually heroic hero maybe you should play Hunter and shut up."

While we're ragging on Beast, I had a chance to look over some of the changes and it's amazing how they try to get around the whole Heroes being sympathetic thing. The most notable is Melanie, the young girl attacked by a Beast and left in a coma who now goes out Heroing in the dream world, basically she's the best character in the entire book. Having been the center of the, Heroes are sympathetic argument, they've made some massive changes to her. She was no longer attacked by a Beast directly, but by the rampaging dream monster thing Beast have for souls, to try and get the Beast off the hook for attacking her. Then they imply that she probably should have actually ended up as a Beast, but got stuck as a Hero through a fluke of fate, so don't worry you can redeem this one Hero to the good side by getting her Soul devoured by a nightmare monster.

I don't even really care about these changes, it's just fascinating to me to watch them desperately try to unfuck Beast without addressing any of the underlying issues.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I'd say Night Stalkers had some of the strongest new Compacts with the Barrett and the Night Watch.

I think the Maiden's Blood Sisterhood is pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
While we're talking about odd changes to Changeling 2.0, what the hell is up with the Gates of Horn and Ivory thing?

I get the idea is that Changeling physically enter dreams now, so the logical follow up to this is to dream the Changeling has to physically be there, but it's just such a weird change to make in general.