Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Puella Madoka: The Mahoening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I know, but, I want there to be a way for young or budding abusers to recognize their own behaviors enough to change things, and I want that way to be a tabletop RPG I helped build with a bunch of strangers on the internet.

:smith: yeah that doesn't sound very plausible now that i say it out loud

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So, have any White Wolf/OPP games included mechanisms for therapy and overcoming trauma? Any Chronicles book cover how mortals recover from hospital stays and PTSD? Posting this to remind myself, but I want to check out how Wraith resolved fetters and passions, as I bet that'd be a good first place to start, but I'm curious if it's already cropped up in any other games, new or old world.

The system I'm homebrewing in my head involves the oogity-boogity powering up it's Monster Soul by inflicting Torments on other mortals, making one of the big focuses for the PC how to redress existing torments and prevent new ones from making the antagonist more powerful.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Warthur posted:

The big problem you have in cooking up new CoD games is that more or less all the really iconic monsters with wide enough cultural cachet to hang a game line on are taken, either by actual WoD/CoD games or knockoffs.

This is a really solid point. It's also one of the reasons I dig the new Demon/GMC flavor is it feels like a step away from Dante's vision of hell and demons, which has become fairly stale. The move towards more abstract and gnostic themes do open up potential for basing games on more philosophical, deconstructed ideas of monsters.

In the system I'm thinking of, the specific historical monsters are just faces for the horrors of violence and extremism. Instead of being born with a different soul, any character exposed to sufficient trauma would have a chance of gaining beastly aspects, almost as a defense. Justify it by saying that trauma inflicts wounds in a soul that the Void/Abyss/Entropy can corrupt. Have the beastly aspects tied to the nature of the character's trauma as one face of primeval violence, rather than a distinct and unique entity. The Gorgon represents suspicion and hostility, the Hydra represents deception, the Kraken is avarice, like that.

There would be no distinction between heroes and beasts, except what the character chooses to do with their powers. To gain in strength, characters have to inflict additional torment upon the world, so a major character struggle would be to find "acceptable targets." Think about the whole Real Life Super Hero thing, people going out of their way looking to justify a fight. Animal rights extremists torching labs and accidentally unleashing swarms of invasive rabies-having rectum-dwelling fang-ferrets. Open Carry dudes hoping someone at a bar says something, tell me those aren't modern day monsters. Or think of the alt-right and Antifa. They both aren't afraid to use violence, because violence is using them.
Where this gets complicated is that there's always the chance that someone preyed on will end up manifesting their own powers, with a well-justified grudge. I'm envisioning a group of Hero Jocks beating up a Beastly Nerd, only to discover that by traumatizing him further he has grown in power and viciousness.

In my head-campaign, the players would be a group of friends tormented by a bully, who is himself tormented by an abusive family. They can't beat up the beast, because he's vastly more traumatized and therefore more powerful, and direct confrontations just inflict additional traumas, which fuel more powers. To win, the players would find which other kids in the school the bully is tormenting, and help them resolve their traumas so their fear no longer fuel the bully's supernatural powers, then confront the bully at home, to resolve the abusive relationship which spawned the beast in the first place.

Here, this almost acts as an inverse of the Imbuing, instead of being chosen as a Hunter the character becomes a puppet of monstrosity. It's also easy to see how any mortal NPC in a different game could become a Beast if pushed enough, someone who survives a werewolf attack, a member of a vampire's herd, or a mage's neglected cultist.

Batman is a Beast because he gets into fistfights instead of using his enormous wealth to eliminate poverty and crime forever. Traumatizing every cutpurse and pickpocket in Gotham does them no good, but keeps Batman swimming in eternal youth and preternatural vigor.

There would be a mechanism similar to Wraith's Eidolon rating, where PCs can do good work and public service in order to gain power, but with greater difficulty than just beating up and abusing people. Give the players a civic center they need to maintain and protect from greater evil, something that rewards them from just jumping gaze-first into the Abyss.

Anyway if that sounds cool I can throw something together and share it around. I need to talk to therapists in order to make sure I understand the main theory behind EMDR because I think roleplaying therapy should be what replaces cinematic combat as the main dramatic device in-game.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's what I like about the system I'm thinking about, both bane and batman are mechanically both the same type of monster, just executed differently. batman beats dudes up while bane has an army he orders around and, presumably, keeps in a state of stress. Elon Musk makes people work stupid hours because their misery physically strengthens them.

Basically, it's Captialism: The Leechening.

nofather posted:

He does both, actually, got an entire Foundation for it. And Wayne Enterprises is well known in Gotham for giving second chance jobs to felons attempting to go straight.

wow, every big hollywood blockbuster gets its own comic adaptation these days! sheesh, whats next, funko pops?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Warthur posted:

Your new thing sounds interesting. Do you intend to present it as a standalone game? Because as with Beast (and to a certain extent Demon, come to think of it) I'm not sure what having the other CofD splats present in that setting really adds.

I think they'd make useful cross-splat antagonists, as a symbol representing the injuries the World (and players) inflict upon the vast swath of NPC mortals. Sort of like a trauma-numina, something more feral and self-destructive than an imbued hunter. A scab with spikes. It calls into question the righteousness of player violence, if injured bystanders can be compelled to evil as an act of self-defense.
As characters themselves, it would be fun playing monstrous mortals in a world of Actual Monsters. You're the bully who bullies the bullies, extracting revenge on the thing that made you powerful. Do you struggle to defeat it by overcoming your initial trauma, or do you embody the worst aspect of human violence and drone bomb it into oblivion?

With how involved I'm thinking the therapy aspect would need to be, it probably does run better as an independent game. FATE might be a barebones enough system, but I like how easy trauma monsters fits into a world of exploitative horror. I'd need to account for what makes these different from Hunters at the very least.

Since I think y'all might be interested, here's the first crack I took at gamifying therapy. The Guide to the Tal'Mahe'Rah included one cult called the "Adoptive Childer of Malakai" which posited that Malkav (crazy vampire) had an even crazier sister out in the shadowlands who never created her own line but grants insight and wisdom to her faithful. The book mentions that the cult has the capacity to cure Malkavian insanity, so I thought of a way that might work:

Sever the Net, Silence the Calling (lv 5)

Taught only to Malakai’s most loyal, Sever the Net is whispered of as both a fatal curse and a transformative blessing, for only by Severing a Malkavian can they escape the perpetual torment of their illnesses.
Though, this escape is not without cost. It silences the torment of the ill, but it strips access to both Dementation and the Cobweb, locking a member of Malkav’s chorus in their own, silent, mind. Among the unprepared, frenzy is common, for the only thing worse than hearing voices is silence. On the other hand, it’s theraputic uses have prevented more than one soul from falling to moral decay and indulgence.
System: The roll for this ritual is Manipulation+Empathy. The difficulty is either subject’s Dementation+Cobweb rating, or their permanent Willpower, whichever is higher.
For each derangement, generate two or more phrases which illustrate the thought patterns altered by the derangement. For Depression, “why loving bother?” or “worthless waste of space” are two possibilities, while Sanguinary Animism might have “secrets sleep in blood.” The phrases do not have to be factual or logical and may represent thought patterns the subject isn't even aware they have.
Each phrase must be cured with a Manipulation+Empathy roll, exceptional successes lower the difficulty on the next roll. For each successful roll, subject alters a memory from their life where that phrase was confirmed or reinforced in some way. This is a therapeutic narrative device, but exceptional role-playing should be rewarded.
The caster can choose which derangement to resolve first, and can resolve as many as they choose in a single casting. Incremental progress remains active between castings, and each actively resolved derangement reduces the difficulty of Empathy rolls in future Severings by 1.
Should an elder ever have more than 10 Willpower or Dementation+Cobweb, the following restrictions apply: Only one derangement can be treated per caster per lunar cycle. The difficulty is 10 for all rolls, and each derangement gets 4 phrases.
While active, the subject suffers no ill effects from their resolved derangements. If all their derangements are resolved, they cannot access their Dementation or Cobweb powers. Furthermore, all Auspex and Awareness rolls are made at +1 difficulty.
If, at any time, the caster botches once, they gain the derangement they were attempting to cure. The ritual fails completely if there are two botches in a row, and all progress is lost.

This power remains active for a full lunar cycle. At the start of each new cycle, character must roll Self Control or Conviction, at the initial difficulty, with the number of required successes equal to the number of completed cycles since casting. At each check, a player can attempt to will the Severing to end early by rolling Willpower, difficulty equal to caster’s Intelligence+Occult. When the subject accumulates a number of successes equal to the caster’s Willpower, the severing is broken. Either way, when the effect ends and the full force of Malkav’s blessing returns to the subject, frenzy is extremely likely.

With ST approval, this power could also apply to some negative social and mental traits related to self-perception or confidence. For each point of trait, generate one phrase.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is elder Thaumaturgy a Dark Ages thing? There's a few NPCs in the Guide to the Tal'Mahe'Rah with (i think) 7-8 dots in it. Is that main and secondary path, or am I missing something?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
. . . More Gehenna plot? Really? The gently caress is there even left to say about that. Come on.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Did they keep Generation?

Gehenna worked in the old world because Generation provided an undeniable mechanistic proof of the diminishing power of the Embrace. Once you start hitting 14th and 15th, it's obvious the end times are around the corner because of how dilute the clan blood becomes. Generation is tied to the Antediluvian, is tied to Gehenna. What even is the apocalypse in a world where Gehenna fails? Why do any of this.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I just, don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish? V20 fixed some (SOME) of the issues with the old world. CofD was finally coming into its own. What is this supposed to fix, exactly?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pope Guilty posted:

Why don't things make me feel the way they did when I was younger?

Probably cuz magic is dying forever. Better capture a bunch of tzimisce and steal their blood about it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Warthur posted:

So based on the "Grave War" hints it seems to be suggested that Gehenna is cyclical, and that whoever survives ends up being the new Antediluvians (who can then presumably sire a bunch of new 4th-Gen folk and thus reinvigorate the clan blood).

I'll be curious to hear if that gets fleshed out. If they tie it in to vampires being puppets of a sentient alien blood curse, that'd be sick as hell.

Ferrinus posted:

I actually liked how they did generation in the super bare-bones 5e preview pdf thing. It made it take longer for you to start feeling the drawbacks of spending lots of blood, but made those drawbacks worse and harder to pay down by feeding.

I've only found the "rusted blood" preview which I feel foolish of because I'm CERTAIN it's been linked in thread before, but I can't find it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
So I'm just gonna, hm, not use the world of darkness for this trauma game I'm brainthinking.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Joe Slowboat posted:

Chronicles of Darkness remains pretty good, Changeling: The Lost is literally a game about surviving trauma and I have only ever heard good things about it.

Edit: except Beast obviously

I'm just confused as to how any of these systems relate to each other. Is the 20th anniversary line done? Chronicles? I thought OPP owned the non-larp WW stuff?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Kurieg posted:

Most of the changes to the 20th anniversary books that have been published seem to be designed to bring them more in line with their vision for 5th Edition. They were not positively received.

The biggest change in lore I noticed was abandoning the subplot that Saulot sired the Baali, did I miss a bunch of something else? I know Celerity is as broken as it's ever been, what else have folks disliked?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, the the Hunger and Generation mechanics were legitimately good seeds of ideas and might be fleshed out into something interesting. Shame about literally everything else, tho.

Yeah tying the touchstones into moral degradation is a neat idea, but at the same time I have a hard time describing what makes it different from a Wraith's fetter.

That Old Tree posted:

This was like one of the very first substantial things they ever did with their newly acquired toys:

making GBS threads all over a different edition/version by slamming a :siren:NOT CANON:siren: sign on it.

Contributors to various other products have protested that their experiences haven't been huge or bad. But then with the last(?) WtA book they inserted a bunch of weird anti-abortion and anti-trans poo poo into the Garou Nation for reasons.

Yeah oldwolf's bio-essentialism has always been fairly heavy handed, and I had hoped the new editions would move away from that schlock factor. FWIW I had always imagined the 20th re-releases as a "best of the best" collection, even if they aren't completely faithful to the metaplot they just kept making up as they went along. The difference between fma: brotherhood and the original fullmetal alchemist. That's how M20 presented itself, I hadn't realized it was different elsewhere.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Counterargument: One of the evil gods in Exalted 3rd ed was a child raped by demons for all eternity.

Can White Wolf even CATCH controversy at this point, or do they just call it "buzz"?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Loomer posted:

Ventrue are also the most likely to list extensive lineages, which contributes to over-representation of sires and grandsires with no other information.

I was actually thinking that tracking number of sires, and therefore generation, would be something that especially obsessive ventrue/malks would get up to in nuVamp. Not sure if it surfaces in 5th ed, but it just seems like such a natural status thing that someone would try keeping records for the bragging rights.

That being said, blood potency is just hands-down a better system on every aspect. In my thaumaturgy game, all of my new players just took one look at Generation and didn't bother buying any other background. The games I used to have back in college, everyone instead maxed Contacts and Influence instead, hoarding plot hooks like fuckin' dragons.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Tremere ghouls are friggin bonkers. Skin of Flame is a 3rd (4th?) level ritual which deals an aggravated damage to anyone who touches your skin. It's supposed to only be a defensive thing, but the OWbN LARP I used to play at didn't mark that difference, meaning the 3 celerity i earned from ghouling was dealing 3 ag on top of the damage from my potence-punches. This was after I was sired and could buy blood magic, mind you.

Granted that happened ONCE, and then the STs threw everything they had at my sire and I, and as far as I remember we were both staked and left in the back of someone's car. Then me and my sire's player just, stopped LARPing.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Didn't one of the Gehenna sourcebooks have rules for unique Caitiff disciplines? I think 14th & 15th gens also got some perks for being nearly human? I think they were somehow involved with fighting off the Antedilluvians. Something about a pregnant vampire,

The game definitely written from the presumption that you're a pitiful weakling in a city of eternal nightmares, but if you give gamers a direct ladder to power they're gonna gently caress the pizza on the roof.

that's just how gamers do. if there's a pizza, they're gonna gently caress it, and you can't stop them from fuckin' it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I think the ST system is more flexible than a 1-20 level based game because strong and weak can vary by chronicle, I think it'd be pretty sweet to run a short game of thinbloods trying to protect their still-human family while The End Times Come. You're not going to be ashing elders, but if you want to play that kind of game, there's always Dark Ages.

Pope Guilty posted:

I've only recently realized that the betrayal of Cappadocious was called the Conspiracy of Isaac because they were stealing his birthright.

All those years of Catechism finally paid off!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's said about every tabletop, but VtM is probably one of the more "it is what you make of it" games out there. I think by nature of it being written as a stand alone game, it embodies a wider variety of tropes than you'd see in CofD games, which generally isolate themes and mechanics better. The powers cover social, combat, investigation, and Deep Weird poo poo all fairly thoroughly, and each clan generally has enough offshoots and specialities that every clan can do everything if spec'd correctly.

Heavy house ruling isn't much of an issue needed if the players and ST are all on the same level as to the nature of the game, and what their characters will need to do.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is it possible control KotE Jiangshi by slapping one of those spell talismans on their forehead, like in the Mr. Vampire movies? IIRC aren't jiangshi just kuei-jin in frenzy or something?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Now I need to justify having an Illegal Triad Street Race with Chimei-drawn carriages, like some kind of horror-comedy Fast & Furious film.

edit- ha ha ha whoops, toootally different gangs.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah, the other big Generation trap is it both sets a hard limit for when the blood curse, just, can't propagate anymore, and it heeeeaaaaavily leans on the Antedilluvian metaplot. I don't know how the game works with both "Gehenna happened!" and "there's still plenty of vampires" cause those should be mutually exclusive?

If anything, I like Generation as an entirely social system, similar to influence, and just as liable to mistakes and obfuscation as anything else in vampiric society. It explains the Camarilla's need to maintain population control, in order to make sure their lineages are accurate, and it's totally the sort of pecking order thing they'd fixate on.

If you wanted to let high BP vampires sire slightly less high BP childer, that would straddle both systems fairly well I think.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah, I need to find this Grave War PDF y'all keep mentioning, but something about the idea of a cyclical Gehenna just, doesn't seem to fit theme? Wasn't 1e all about the ancient brooding formidable evils? Like, a newly spawned 4th gen has horrifying potential, but isn't immediately a force to be reckoned with. Yeah they got a lot of blood and high stat limits, but you're still mostly a human, with human morals and connections. What made low gens scary in past games is the knowledge that they're dangerous enough to survive the hundreds of years between then and now, a newly spawned 4th gen was just in the wrong place in the right time.

It seems like a cool setting, but at the same time, a major departure from what they claim they're making?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Gotta be hard to be a Camarillan, who officially denies the existence of both Gehenna, the Antes, and the Jyhad itself, in the nights immediately following the rise of the Antedilluvians and the completion of Gehenna.

I kind of imagine it's like the opposite of Harold Camping's church, two Toreadore hanging in a bombed out nightclub, neither acknowledging feeling incredibly slighted that they weren't drawn into the all-consuming maw of their great great great great great great great great great great great great grandsire.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's a really clever idea! With how utterly universal shape-changers are in cultural mythology, it would be really cool to explore the mokole and even werecats in more depth. I'd be really curious what would happen if the ghouled bastet kinfolk were freed from Setite control, that would make for interesting dynamics. It would also be a sidelong nod to eurocentric imperialism, acknowledging how overwhelming the woofs got and how much of a metaphor for white cultural violence that was.

Plus, that one breed of Scottish wildcat has been rediscovered, so that would be cool to work with.

Edit- I had a fun player moment tonight. The characters were clearing out an abandoned Tremere bunker, which was generating power from a trapped lightning spirit to fuel this huge mysterious HAARP-like antennae system. As intended, they figured out a way to jury-rig the system such that they could entrap the spirit in an item, but couldn't decide what to choose.
See, for atmosphere, I decided that since this place held 3-4 people who didn't leave for weeks at a time, boredom would be an issue. I mentioned that, in the small library, someone had left behind a box with a portable DVD player, and a bunch of 90s movies about cops working with dinosaurs.
One player asked, "If we put a disk in the player, would the spirit be able to communicate with us through sound clips from the movie?"

And that's how we ended up with a +3 copy of Theodore Rex.

In my head, without consulting any of the W20 books on spirits, I had figured it was going to add +3 to a weapon's attack not damage, and subtract 3 from the target's action next turn, to represent stun. I know the RAW for Spirit Manipulation just says the fetish rating applies to attack and damage, but that's kind of boring and my players deal enough damage as is, so I wanted something different. Is that a fair trade? What other fun spirit effects have y'all used?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 2, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The Shadow Lords retreat to the Umbral Dark Web, rechristening themselves The Shitlords.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Kurieg posted:

Godmachine as author trying to retcon something it doesn't approve of?

A Malkavian methusela starts writing Gary Stu fic about himself, reality warps to accommodate.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Loomer, I wanted to thank you for your work. Your post about the Eater of Names got me thinking and I'm definitely going to introduce some of the Eater's victims as a spooky little in-game detail. Did you run into any descriptions of what it would be like to get one's name eaten? I'm picturing a spooky hospital ward, with beds that seem empty until you stare long enough to realize someone's sitting there, barely alive, so unassuming as to nearly vanish into the bedspread, personal records blank except for a rubber-stamp reading EATEN.

I think that'd be spooky. I think folks would get a kick out of that.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Could someone with Dark Ages vampire experience walk me through how buckler fencing would work? Assuming they're ambidexterous, wielding a rapier and small buckler, no celerity so they're taking multiple actions, I'd take ONE Dex+Melee pool and divide it between the buckler parry, and the rapier attack? Do I subtract armor penalties before they're split, or after?

My players have been steamrolling through combats lately, and ended up kidnapping the local Baron's right hand man. I'm trying to setup a one on one duel between the baron and a PC, I want to scare them without killing anyone, so I think having a fight where the enemy frustrates their attacks is going to convey how one-sided it is without me having to throw a billion damage straight at their faces, which is less interesting.
The armor will be chainmaille woven into a long black canvas buckler. This NPC is based off someone I knew in college, so it's intentionally cheesy. I think chainmaille is as good as a flak jacket at blocking a shot (4) but it's more cumbersome, so I'm giving it a penalty of 3. There's going to be a moment in the combat where the character throws the coat and has a total "Not Even My Final Form" scene.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hi friends, do any of the main books cover how jousting would work? What about motorcycle jousting? My players are about to face a big scary Ventrue antitribu heavy into the knight-in-shining-armor motif and I think I want to have them joust instead of fight. I'm imagining them using street signs torn out of the ground, with children's hula hoops suspended from streetlights.
How I'm imagining this goes down is, start with a Drive roll, each success over 5 subtracts one point from the next roll's difficulty. The next roll is Melee, default difficulty of 8, adjusted for exceptional successes. On a failed Drive roll, the difficulty just increases to 9, but characters wipe out on a botch. A failed melee roll just misses, but botching the melee means they need to make another Drive roll (diff 8, # successes equal to botch+1) to avoid crashing at high speed.

I think I'd use a similar system if they decide to start jousting AT each other, a simple Drive roll versus a contested Melee, where exceptional successes on the Drive reduce the difficulty for Melee. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Jade Mage posted:

Hey, I'm planning my next Small-Town Changeling 2e session and was looking for some advice. From here on in spoilers because one of my two players is a goon who probably will read this at some point.

Warning, effort post below.

So what should be the next big schemes for President Thorn before the ultimate scene of fetch-spawn apotheosis?

If you've introduced those significant shoes, is there anything else significant to the apotheosis you could introduce or hint at? Does it need to happen in a specific place? Are there ancient scrolls or chants which need to be recited? What's the middle step between "special red shoes" and "fetch-spawn apotheosis?" Is it something you can nudge your players into doing unwittingly, such that the full weight of their actions dawns on them moments before the big dramatic reveal?
If there's any unresolved plot threads to snip or callbacks you want to make, this would be a good time to use them, as adding in extraneous details this close to your climax would detract from the feeling of completeness, I think.

Generally, I think the answer you're looking for is already in your story, you just have to pick something and give it a surprising twist.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Loomer posted:

More than you'd think. For the Toreador, the Callistan, Minosian, Amphionic, and Melpomenean lines were all still active into the modern nights with 100% certainty. For the Tzimisce, the Draconic line and depending on how you count, the Yorakian (the Cathedral still exists, and some reckonings have Kosc. as childe of Yorak, not Shaagra - early Tzimisce lines are surprisingly tough nuts) and Ruthvenic lines are still active. Looking at that one, I shouldn't have done it drunk - I forgot ol' Drac's line.

Hey Loomer, I've got a question about Tremere bloodlines. Either Lore of Bloodlines or Rites of the Blood claims that a large number of Baali have integrated themselves into the Pyramid. Have you run into any proven examples of that?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I was so impressed with my players outsmarting me into stopping a road race encounter before it started that I utterly failed to realize the rest of the night's plot hinged on them tracking the other racer back to their hideout. :downs:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
x-post from a GBS thread:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ghost hitman for the real estate syndicate, the world's most disappointing reality show premise

That sounds like a really cool Geist game, actually. I'd absolutely be down with this story set in a near-future cyberpunk Tokyo, where shadowy developers bribe back-alley cybermancers to upgrade their agents with Necrodyne implants.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also you should absolutely make the players wade through an office ball pit where the balls attack them like tiny, colorful Langoliers.

Maybe check the news for other kinds of excessive bullshit that Silicon Valley tech firms have pulled for inspiration, too.

Ballpits and fire escapes are great, I've also seen giant slides which need to be "staffed" or they constitute a major insurance hazard. Climbing through elevator shafts, air ducts, or the outside of the building would be neat. Represent the infinitely recursive patterns by flipping on one of those multicolored LED bulbs.

Go full Achewood and have them flush themselves down a giant possessed toilet.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Lupercalcalcal posted:

At the start of each session I give each player five beats, and take five for myself, in the form of poker chips.

Anytime someone does something you think is cool, flavourful, improves the game or drives the story in an interesting direction, give them a beat from that pile.

Any you get awarded, you keep. Any you didn't hand out at the end of the game are lost. As GM I make sure to reward players that others aren't focusing on.

this is a fantastic idea & i really love it, thank you

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Deviant sounds like it's going to own.

yeah with the current focus on Deplorable BabyJail I can see the horror of institutional violence as some RIPE motherfucking fodder for stories. curious how much of a prison industrial complex the antagonists are going to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Semi-related but Loomer, I was thinking of ways of adapting Dawn of Worlds for use in generating social cityscapes in the World of Darkness. Basically a stripped-down version where you take an existing city map and divide it up between domains of various player-created factions and what have you, setting the stage for the game proper.
In the headgame I'm setting this for, the players would each control a whole coterie, probably ones from different sects, for maximum plotting and counterplotting.

Anyway that just struck me as something you might like