Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xinder posted:

I don’t know your full story but just from this post alone, you wouldn’t be allowed at my table. Maybe your Brujah was killed out of pettiness because your st sucks, but I’m definitely not going to trust anyone who has to ask if it’s cool to codify transphobia into their game mechanics.

Pretty sure the transphobia thing was one of the other players at the table, right? From what I remember that really isn't on him since he was asking for opinions on the situation and what to do.

Now, the fact that he didn't listen when we said to :sever: and find a better group is pretty much on him, yeah. All this crap could have been avoided if he had just ditched them at the first opportunity and found better people to play with.

On the other hand, this whole saga just keeps getting more and more :stonk: as time goes on. So kudos on that in a morbid "What the gently caress is wrong with you?" sort of way I guess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xinder posted:

Asking at all still absolutely feels like it’s seeking validation on thinking “trans women aren’t real women, right?” which is absolutely transphobic

I get what you mean.

Even regardless of that though the fact that he didn't just find a new group after the entire thread poo poo all over his group for their poor behavior really does kind of make this his own fault. That incident and the whole "The ST is a raging douchebag that murders characters for shits and giggles while the other players bark at the guy who made a gangrel." thing makes me think that he should have seen the warning signs and left to find someone to play the game with that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 6, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Props for simplifying all the overlapping bloodlines in the dumbest way possible, especially when so much ink was spilled in the initial introduction clarifying that the Samedi were not a Giovanni offshoot.

Also for creating actual --- and i'm not making GBS threads you --- libertarian frat vampires based in Harvard that are at least partially convinced that Ayn Rand was a vampire herself since she was such a lovely parasitic human being. Mind you, the in character writer speaks of her in awe, like she's some visionary philospher instead of the hypocrite and all around rear end in a top hat she actually was.
And apparently all this (and so much more! The entire section is just filled with :stonk: level "No, no, stop writing! You're only digging yourself deeper!" moments.) is said while they scheme to John Galt the poors and minorities of the world.

Also they may or may not be gay in what was probably intended to be a dig at libertarians in an attempt to make them less of a stereotypical caricature but just comes off as bigoted and lovely. I'd have to either check with the one person I know that actually bought the Anarchs book or straight up just pirate the thing to post the relevant quotes here since there's no way in hell i'm giving Nu WW money for such a lovely and offensive game rewrite.

If V5 ever gets a Hunter splat spin off under the new management then it's going to be game #1 to play for monster slaying and pissing off CHUD and alt-right/neo-nazi types. Assuming it doesn't get CHUDified as well, that is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 6, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

So Reckoning basically. I've been reading the core recently and boy oh boy does that book have some....tonal issues. It has not aged well.

Are you talking about Reckoning or Masquerade? Because looking back both had issues even if the community and a lot of other material was inclusive as heck. I mean, the whole gypsy book and KOTE pretty much sums up a good amount of Masquerade's issues.

Reckoning basically codified the whole "noble bigot" hunter concept in supernatural horror. Or at least was there during it's formative setup during the 90's. I remember it was a thing that more than a few hunters would straight up just murder the gently caress out of anything remotely supernatural they'd see, to the point where a lot of the fiction and fluff painted them as being justified killers.

Granted, most of the setting was dark as gently caress. But when your heroes are straight up mag-dumping into a woman's brain pain after she explains that she's a mage, she offers to help you, and you have a friendly conversation with them that shows they aren't hurting anyone you've gone from things being morally grey on both sides to both sides just being primarily made up of loving assholes.

Sadly, from what little i've had a chance to see of the "Blankbody" stuff it looks like V5 is going with that route too instead of taking the more nuanced route that Requiem and NWoD/CofD Hunter did. Not that it's going to stop conservative tabletop gamers from screeching. If the chan's flipped their poo poo about progressivism "infecting" Vampire due to stuff like Rudi and his army being featured however they'll sure as poo poo lose their poo poo over some Ayn Rand libertarian vampire jerking off over exterminating the poor being staked and decapitated Dracula style.

Edit: I should add that the lack of nuance is on both sides. The Anarch's book is filled to the brim with political stereotypes and horror cliches.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 6, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

moths posted:

It's been decades since I've read it, but I remember the lore being presented in a egregiously epistolary format that was a personal worst for White Wolf.

It was like a trash pull of BBS printouts, post-its, polaroids of fake tribal tattoos, handwritten notes, etc etc.

Fake tribal tattoo's sounds about right for the OWoD, so this seems legit. :v: Hell, even V5 features a lot of art that is basically "What if gothic punk was still popular?" mixed with "how edgelordy can we make this picture be?".

This isn't even remotely the worst of the art in V5, by the way. It's so bad you can google it and probably get a few examples. It's not even the funny sort of bad either like that "70's era Invictus Blackula style prince menacing the white vampires." picture from Requiem. It's just cringe inducing.

The whole post-its, polaroids, and handwritten notes thing can work well if done right however. Requiem and NWoD Hunter did it well. But yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to gently caress up older works like that. Especially if it was done early on in the company's history. Though that makes me wonder just how early was OWoD Hunter compared to the other game lines?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 6, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

moths posted:

HtR was next to last, followed by Orpheus.

It never got a 20th edition.

Really? drat, for some reason I thought it was one of the early ones.

Guess they've got no excuse for loving up then.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Y'all are probably gonna give me the stink eye for this, but I'm in the process of writing a fan crossover supplement between Werewolf the Forsaken and Princess the Hopeful titled By the Power of the Moon! I'm curious about what subject manner and topics I should cover for this. I already have some general ideas, such as Princess/Uratha interactions, new Gifts/powers/etc interfacing with each other's respective enemy factions (Magical Girls fighting spirits, werewolves performing the Sacred Hunt against creatures of Darkness, etc), a mini-bestiary, and possibly a Unified Cosmology tying together concepts from the two sourcebooks into a more put-together whole.

The reason I'm doing this is because out of all the official splats, the "transforming spirit cops" aspect of Werewolf in preventing otherworldly horrors from loving up the world of humanity is thematically close to what Princesses do, save replace the Pure with Twilight Queens, spirits and hosts with the creatures of Darkness, etc.

I can't speak for past versions of it, but the current version of Princess is actually really good and reads like a clever deconstruction on not just the grim darkness of the setting but also what'd happen when you had some genuinely heroic people with high tier superpowers show up and try to set things right.

Pick up the Vigil expansion if you can find the full version of it for extra cool poo poo the fun times that show what happens when your average Hunter encounters a genuinely good, heroic supernatural force and has to actually make moral decisions instead of going all Warhammer 40K on the local Beast's or whatever.

It also serves as a pretty good parody of Exalted if you hate it or don't mind the line gently satirizing the core Exalted types. Contrary to their name, Princess's are more like discount Solar Exalt's all heavily specced into virtues like compassion or conviction after being run through a modern anime blender. And it absolutely confuses the gently caress out of pretty much everyone else in the setting since it's clear they're way out of place in the era they show up in.

It probably helps that there's an entire community of table top gamers working together on the project to make sure everything is properly is proof read properly and engages with the rest of the setting in an interesting way. Maybe check out the discord for the fan splat? Asking about what they're looking into doing with the game line might give you an idea of what you should focus on writing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 7, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, the original Madoka series was all about how much it sucked that the world was dark like that and how important it was to reestablish the original genre/escape samsara by the intervention of Mahayana Buddha.

I can imagine a Chronicles game with Madoka inspiration (my Mage game had a Free Council Obrimos who specifically used Madoka as a yantra for 'the world sucks, and we deserve better than this') -- but the useful thematic opening would be a yearning for a brighter order that doesn't exist, which... Princess doesn't seem to do at all?

Although, on the same general topic, a friend got me to watch Princess Tutu with her and it's been a lot of fun, and also seems like it ought to be compatible with Changeling: The Lost? I'm just not sure how to do that.

As of the GMC/2.0 update the theme of the game is literally "You all come from a time and place that was better than all of this grimdark wankery. Get to work in fixing everything up and keeping your dip poo poo co-workers from cocking things up even worse." with a side order of Princesses possibly having come about as a manifestation of humanity hoping for a better future via some supernal fuckery that's too long to bother getting into here.

Also, the game literally rips elements of the plot of older magical girl shows like Sailor Moon and Pre-Cure wholesale while contrasting it with the grimmer/down to earth nature of the CofD/NWoD. So yeah, the idea that it doesn't have anything to do with older tv shows like that guy up above said is pretty ridiculous.

I could flip the PDF file open real quick and explain it more if someone's interested. But at the end of the day it's basically a parody fan game in the vein of Senshi: The Merchandising so i'm really not going to bother unless anyone's interested in knowing the deep lore about what happens when a bunch of animes decide to unload on a bunch of grimdark assholes with cute, insanely destructive, and weebish magic.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 7, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Soonmot posted:

One of my werewolves is literally trying to become a magical enbie, so lay that weeb magic on me so I have something to give them.

Kurieg posted:

Unless you're using Enbie in a different context than I'm aware of... there's a Father Wolf gift in the 2nd ed core that lets you switch biological sexes at will with an essence.

Yeah, there's definitely a gift for that. But since you asked for it it's time for a :words: nerdy lore and mechanics dump:

So first and foremost one of the things that Princesses have going for them is their ability to transform. Rather than being a transformation like werewolves where they turn into furry murder machines this is more like the traditional magical girl or even superhero costume switches. Keep in mind that the term Princess is a bit misleading in this regard since either gender can be a Princess. The requisites of becoming one are to

A: Have an insane amount of hope and/or compassion for other beings.

B: Have been one in a past life. If you're seeing some shades of Exalt there in the second thing then you're right on the money. I'd get into that but it's own thing that's fairly huge so i'll only bother by request.

This is, barring me missing something, implied to completely change the appearance of a person. Sometimes it's something more armored --- like a guy or gal turning into the Green Knight of Justice or whatever the gently caress. Other times the appearance is physical in the sense of the flesh. It's not impossible for someone to switch genders if that's related to them in some way.

Some quotes for posterity:

quote:

One aspect of the Hopeful’s transformation is subtle but amazingly convenient: the mundane and transformed
selves appear to be different people, and those who have seen one of the Princess’ forms generally fail to
recognize her in the other form. A simple perception roll never reveals a Noble’s identity; to discover it requires
active investigation, and a reason for suspicion based on her behavior.

.... (Mechanics mostly removed here.)

Even supernatural senses and tracking abilities are baffled by transformation - a vampire who’s tasted one
identity’s blood doesn’t notice any resemblance to blood shed by the other, a werewolf scenting one identity
won’t recognize the smell of the other. Supernatural sympathy to one of the Princess’s forms does not connect
to her in the other form, even for those who know her secret; even the Hopeful’s own Charms, when modified by
Sympathy, respect another Princess’s privacy. If a power is currently targeting a Princess through a sympathetic
connection, transforming ends the power’s effect on her.

... (More mechanical stuff basically detailing the ways that super's can track them via magic.)

Paging through the book real quick also revealed this ability that Princesses can use. It may be of use to you in your game if you want to house rule something similar in for Werewolves. If you want I can PM you the full text for all this stuff. This is mostly for preview purposes since I don't want to clutter up the thread too badly.

quote:

Twenty Faces (Appear •)

Regalia
Action: Permanent

Sometimes, the full glory of the light must be veiled, so that a Princess may walk unnoticed. The Noble can
reshape her iconic clothing into an outfit that helps her fit in; with a transformation action, she is dressed in
appropriate “civilian” clothes for the area. The reshaped outfit acts as a basic disguise [CofD 277] that protects
the Noble from being noted as unusual. However, using obvious magic (such as Charms with visible effects, or
summoning other pieces of Regalia) resets the outfit to the Noble’s usual appearance. The outfit does not gain
the durability of Regalia pieces, and resets if it leaves the Noble’s possession.

... (Skipping over some mechanics and fluff content to get to upgrades you can purchase for this ability. Basically, they're all about making them more combat effective, better at giving you an equipment bonus to social manipulation --- stuff like that. But then you get to the high tier upgrades!)

Upgrade: Masked

The Noble can change her features dramatically. By spending 1 Wisp, she may alter all aspects of her appearance
- ethnicity, height, build, even sex - within the limits of her Size trait. (A Princess with the Giant Merit
will always be a very tall man or woman, no matter how this Charm is used; a child Princess cannot look like
a full-grown adult, and an adult cannot pass herself off as a child.) She may also, if she wishes, cloak her status
as a Noble from magical discovery.

All mundane attempts to identify the Noble fail automatically, and supernatural powers that pierce disguises
or reveal supernatural beings’ natures (if the Noble concealed hers) start a Clash of Wills. Applying Masked
does not give her extra protection from being mundanely detected as an outsider or impersonator, but the Regalia
and Quality bonuses still apply.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 7, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ogresque posted:

how much trouble could a wizard get in for deliberately inventing a new kind of vampire and accidentally having it escape into the wild

Like literally none outside of the storyteller invoking karmic consequences on the player or group in question. At worst the vampire might get pissed off at it's existence and eat you. At best you'd maybe get a really stern talking too by the slightly more responsible wizards among the Consilium before they go back to whatever project they're busy with/trying to achieve ultimate knowledge through ascension/plotting to murder their rivals.

And obviously if it's a Seer doing it their colleagues are just going to give you a rousing round of applause for making the world a shittier place. I guess depending on the success of the vampire brood in question you might get a promotion? Which doesn't really sound that bad on the face of it unless it's the Seinfeldian "Do more work, get the same pay." type I guess.

Also, the NWoD version of Tremere exist because a mage did literally exactly that and everyone that knows of them just straddles the line between "Eh, not my problem." to "Oh gently caress they're literally soul eating monsters. Guess I should keep my head down and wait for someone else to deal with this.".

The whole wizards are assholes meme is very much in effect for Mage.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 7, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ogresque posted:

are the tremere vampires in the nonmetaphorical sense? i meant dead human that maintains existence using the blood or other handy metaphor for vitality of the living

a new breed of convergent vampire, to see if you could

They pretty much are vampires, yeah. Especially when you factor in all the different types of vampires from Wicked Dead that feed on alternative sources like time, fear, memories, excess body fat, etc, etc. That book points out that the term vampire is as much about blood as it is other things that people need to live or function as sane individuals. Only the Tremere in the NWoD literally diablerize souls to continue to exist and are categorized as a mage legacy because presumably it's a reference to their origins in Ars Magicka. Unsurprisingly, the reaction most vampires have to hearing of them is to poo poo their pants in terror and run the other way because what the gently caress you literally eat souls to prolong the horrible existence that is your life. Even most vampires know that that's a bad thing to do.

Outside of their magey origins you could just have a bloodline of vampires with special disciplines that need to diablerize when feeding and you'd have the same effect. Hell, that's literally how vampires actually see them in most of the fiction. To most vampires that have a bit of knowledge about the Tremere they're not "rear end in a top hat mages that gobble souls to sustain their lives". They're "Those creepy vampires that rear end in a top hat mages made that literally feed on souls oh god what the gently caress did you morons do now?".

They're also heavily implied to be linked to the necrophiliac Sangiovanni vampire bloodline of necromancers in one 1e book. So there's that too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 7, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ogresque posted:

does that imply the tremere can/will access the other trappings of vampirehood in time

Nah. I mean, it's theoretically possible they could bring their special brand of what the gently caress and terror to the vampire community. But in reality they're more focused on literally trying to either topple or devour the Supernal watchtowers and ziggurats of the main mage groups.

If one of them did do something like that they'd presumably be a smaller group or a one-off sort of deal since the Tremere in the NWoD are depicted as being literally so incredibly power hungry and evil that aspiring to become a full fledged vampire would probably be an improvement in morality over their current aspirations.

NWoD Tremere kind of put the OWoD Tremere to shame when it comes to being villainous assholes.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 7, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Also I think trying to convince mages that vampires (or whatever) are the real baddies is going to cause a lot of pulled collars and yikes faces. Mages are like a 1/4 chance of being as dangerous if not more so to humans as the average vampire. Consider paradox, abyssal summonings, casual hubris, left handed paths, and so on. Vampires on the whole are a net negative for humanity but I think you'd have a hard time convincing mage society, which tends to run a bit in the navel gazing direction, that they all deserve to die.

Hey now, let's not be too harsh on the vampires. They bring one immense benefit to humanity that no other supernatural force provides.

They act as hate sinks for the Strix. An act that typically keeps them from directly loving with humanity on a larger level. :v:

Edit: To be serious though, I feel like a low wisdom mage might be able to talk themselves into going after vampires while avoiding a "Hans, am I the baddy?" moment. It does seem like it'd mostly be a local effort though.

Of course if a mage is willing to go after vampires then this also begs the question of why they wouldn't inevitably just go full on Punisher meets banisher against other mages too. Since like you said --- they're way more dangerous to your average person when matched up against some bloodsucker that usually just wants to keep existing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I know that I’m horribly biased, but could I add Signs of Sorcery to the Awakening list?

For Requiem, I would say

The Clanbooks
Damnation City
A Thousand Year’s of Night
Night Horrors: Wicked Dead

Seconding this. Those on top of Secrets of the Covenants and maybe The Blood if you want an in perspective look at how vampirism and their skills feel to the characters pretty much fills out the setting.

Maybe Danse Macabre too if you want to fill out the setting with more esoteric covenants and alternate universe stuff.

Actually, there's a Hunter book (I think? Don't quote me on it.) that does a lot of justice to AU settings and adds lots of minor character related stuff. It includes content like an early precursor to hero's that aren't shackled to Beast or it's horrible abuse apologia themes (TL;DR: They're basically your typical action hero from your favorite media. Think the grizzled noir detective as one of many possible examples.). It also has crazy stuff like "What if it was a high fantasy setting?" or "What if mages/something broke the world in an entirely different way that resulted in a world where part of humanity was aware of the supernatural?" like the Woundgate setting.

Also, the Woundgate setting introduces the idea that vampires can substitute blood for a rare type of plant. Then of course some of them do like vampires in the NWoD/CofD do and promptly cock it up by being evil jerks after they figure out that blood apparently grows said plant faster. Not a big deal but if the players in a game want to go the way of escaping or curing vampirism in the game then it could help set the theme of the mechanics to that effect.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 30, 2019