Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Thinking about loving around and writing a gangrel bloodine who specifically hunt Beasts. maybe their progenitor was a Hero who got embraced before he could kill his target. they're immune to whatever bullshit compulsion aura beasts have to make other supernaturals like them, and they can digest beast blood.

maybe they take on some of the powers of the horrors they eat, and so they have like 'nightmare protean' or something where they manifest elements of horrors in combat
the best way to deal with Beasts is to pretend they don't exist, or throw them out entirely and start over with the elevator pitch if "you're an ancient creature of legend like a dragon or hydra or kraken or something"

you don't try to pick out the pickles and wash them off to save them from a literal poo poo sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crabtree posted:

So what? "The Ancient creatures that heroes and hunters like Absimiliard did not die, they merely slept within the blood of man until it was time?"
My idea is more "You are literally a dragon and have never not been a dragon, you've just crammed yourself into a human-shaped disguise because you like not getting shot down by fighter jets"

You're less human than a Demon is, but you really like Cheetos or something and have decided to live incognito in human society. Or just out of self-preservation.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crabtree posted:

So a bunch of mythological creatures got together and said "Humanity and its monsters are gonna loving kill us, let's just pretend to be them and hope no one notices"? Octodad, but replace an octopus with a Dragon or Nature God.
:hmmyes:

Kurieg posted:

That was sort of what Beast originally was.
No I am suggesting you are a dragon that hatched out of a dragon egg and then, later, put on a human disguise of varying quality. You weren't born biologically a human or anything like that.

Or a kraken or hydra or something.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is Bravo-1. Unidentified target has been neutralized. Over and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPW-RdzStA

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

When Beast was first spoiled you basically had a Cuckoo soul in your body as a kind of spiritual life support until your body was strong enough to support your actual soul. At which point your actual soul eats the fake.

e: not that I'm defending beast at all, more the fact that very early in it's development there was a compelling idea that could have been turned into something good. Instead Matt was at the helm and saw his chance to tell the true story about how hard it is to be an Ally AND a Rapist.
Yeah, but I'm talking about, well, this:

Except behind the mask is a literal dragon.

Slimnoid posted:

So, the plot of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
*opens mouth* *closes mouth*

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

:goon:

wait no the meme where it just says go on.
You want :frogon:

GNU Order posted:

My idea for a new kind of vampire - a vampire who doesn’t drink blood. They drink piss.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

oh like the blood thing isn't a huge fetish for millions of lovely goths
look man I see a chance to make a reference to http://gunshowcomic.com/471 I take it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

It is also kinda weird how a flurry of posters all declaring 'V5 is amazing, no I will not be discussing this further' showed up at once.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Please, find them scary! Please! If you don’t hate and fear me I’ll LITERALLY shrivel up and die! It’s a game about building brand engagement.
... You know now I kinda want to see a game where this is the elevator pitch

All about building your legend as a legendary monster or something. You don't actually start with any powers and have to just use trickery and masks and poo poo until your legend really gets rolling.

Your mortal enemy would be the Scooby Gang

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ironslave posted:

I feel this might be the only way to reframe Beast, the line to start from if you want to try adapting them without remake them wholesale. They're already halfway there; change their Hunger system around, you've still got a game about being a narcissistic and/or delusional monster, and the thrust becomes weighing how far to go against the chances of being caught, of creating a Hero, and to keep your own sense of humanity, with the game dangling power and fame in front of those monsters willing to lean in as far as possible.
Well, I meant like. You don't need to kill or hurt people, the goal is to get people to remember you. It's entirely about building your Legend, and everything else is merely a stepping stone. You start as a completely mundane human, and you need to convince the world that you're actually, like, an unkillable monster like Jason, or that the woods are haunted by a cryptid (which is you in a costume), etc. In fact, going too far with actually hurting people would be a failure state because instead of people circulating whispered rumors, you've got the authorities taking this seriously and SWAT has your "lair" surrounded and you go down in history as just some rear end in a top hat.

You would eventually start getting actual powers when your Legend gets strong enough, but only once you've got enough people absolutely convinced you already have them.

I don't know why somebody would want to make a legend so strong they actually become some weird thing creeping around in the woods, nor do I have any idea how this would work as a group game, though, but I'm not a game designer.

EDIT: Also, being killed by a hero would be amazing for your Legend if you could arrange credible enough sightings of yourself after your death.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

For that matter, the Scarecrow Ministry entitlement for the Autumn Court is all about "Pretend to be a scary monster in the woods to scare people away from real estate", as their gimmick is that they guard entrances to the hedge and thin places where humans might run into creepy fae poo poo they don't want anyone else to poke that poo poo and get taken the way they were, complete with pretending to be a local ghost/cryptid legend.
The Scarecrow Ministry seems like some cool-rear end poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mummy doesn't get discussed less than Beast because it's some kind of secret gem, though.

It gets discussed less than Beast because Beast is offensively awful whereas Mummy is a game about being a kind of monster nobody cares about, with clunky mechanics even by WoD standards, and basically zero advertising.
Busting in on some vampire bullshit and not caring about their poo poo and yelling "RETURN THE SLAB" and throwing them through walls does sound like a fun time but that doesn't seem like enough to hang an entire game on.

I think it's even worse at "wait how does a group of these things work out" than Beast is, too

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't CA get pissed over something in Hunter related to Mummy?

I think there was some group which ate mummies for power? Which, while a neat reference to the whole medical cannibalism thing where people ground up and ate mummies in real life for alleged medical benefits, doesn't really jive with how capital-m Mummies work in nWoD? (for reasons I don't remember)

EDIT: not that I can remember anything a bout him getting mad at it, but if he did it was probably this

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

The most hilarious part of the CAS thing for me was how he tried to defend his actions by saying that he was the sole breadwinner for the absurd number of women in his family and thus by cutting him out of the industry you were actually hurting more women than by simply letting him be a sex pest.
I'm... under the impression that there's no way he could be supporting that many people in the tabletop RPG industry

like, I'm pretty sure most people in it have trouble supporting just themselves

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

I feel like playing up personal horror of having your soul in two places/having two souls could be done pretty well. They have frightening visions of being out of mind and body--of dying, no, wait, they're stuck in a jar now, but, except...but they're not, suddenly, as their sense of self is warped back and forth between two realities. The one they're in, and the alternate one erased, a mind-sucking sense of déjà vu that happens constantly. Brief, intense images of a future that didn't happen, never was. can't be. Perhaps it has the beneficial side-effect of letting them see the future in brief bursts, but maybe it's the work of some horrible Other trying to force its way into reality thanks to this walking paradox and, thanks to the hubris of a Mage experimenting with it, they're widening this window and just letting the drat thing come on in.
The "souls" Mages deal with aren't what make you "You", they're, again, more like an important but not immediately life-threatening to lose organ. Like your kidneys (as a whole) or liver, to take Mors' metaphor. Except even less vital since I think you can survive longer without a soul than you can without your kidneys if neither are being treated.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

But can they embrace things which were never alive in the first place?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

2nd Update: I hurt babby Camawilla's fee-fees (this is my ST)

Sounds like a great excuse to hold a grudge to me!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's only a good death if it's presented well. And you know who the final arbiter of a good death is? The player of the character getting killed.
an ST who later pms "lol maybe play better next time. you really need to quit loving up" to the player of the dead character is 100% not even trying to give them a good death, too

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nessus posted:

You can also probably use feeding scenes to highlight the age/class divide, because you have to struggle and suffer and go hungry and spend huge amounts of your waking time engaging in nightclub activities, battening upon the poor, or collecting rats -- meanwhile, Prince Classicname just calls for takeout. Dude can probably literally have a squad of cops come in, line up, and take a blood point off of each of them before blasting their minds and letting them go.

Thinking about it, developing some kind of secured and enclosed feeding situation would probably be the best way a vampire could develop "property" they could then share with others to get boons. Strange that this didn't ever seem to get made explicit. The rack, tenements, convention hotels...
Or just have the squad of cops come in, take a blood point off each, and remind them to come back next week for their scheduled biweekly ghoul maintenance

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bogart posted:

mages...... are they good, or bad?
IRRELEVANT GIVE ME MORE MYSTERIES TO UNRAVEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... is Beast a type of changeling? You don't have a Beast: The Abuse Elementals character in your game?

EDIT: also if your character retains the skills when not being telepathically manipulated into using them (which seems awfully suspicious to me, a person not very familiar with changeling) couldn't you just make them a new body?