Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DalaranJ posted:

So I was trying to assit my players in filling out their crew sheet and one of them asked "What's tyhe difference between 'implements', 'supplies', and 'tools'? Does anyone have any idea?

Supplies are for everything, so for getting equipment for your teams, bribes out and so on. I am unsure how to differentiate between the other 2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Try it as PbP on here, minimal social stigma for it failing too!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'd been intending to tweak it slightly so that level 2 harm "just" caused a relatively minor effect. Maybe something like you always have to take a disadvantage if you do not have potency in a particular area.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

See the game I am planning is probably going to be a tad more free wheeling for the most part in terms of effects and so on.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Well, thanks for answers everyone! On another subject, is there some interest for a pbp game here on SA? I'm itching for testing the game, but it'd be hard to do so IRL for various reasons.

VERY YES!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Well I am hopefully going to be running a game of this in real life this coming Thursday, so heres hoping it goes well.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jesus Christ that took long enough!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hey there guys, I am doing a recruit for a Blades in the Dark campaign and thought people might be interested!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787297

Also I am kind of thinking of if you could do a hack to model Railos from Glorantha into the BitD format.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Does anyone know how to download the additional hacks for Blades, I bought the backer level that gets me all of them, but I don't think I have anything about them?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kestral posted:

I can personally attest that Band of Blades is in playtesting and is probably near release; I've seen it run at Big Bad Con, and know people who are on the playtesting list. It also looks loving rad and will have been worth the wait. In fact, you can apparently watch a playtest campaign of it run by the designer here, although I haven't seen it yet and can't vouch for the quality of the players.

Thank you for linking this. It has made me so much more interested in this product.

Is there any sort of written out stuff available thus far? I am a backer of BiTD if that helps?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Is there anything like this available for Band of Blades and/or can I contact the creator? I think my group might be up for a game in the near future and would like to test it out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think they may have turned up the difficulty level a bit too high on BoB.

I am all for difficulty but it really does seem as if a failure spiral is an almost inevitability with this sort of set up. I mean perhaps I am much more used to playing games where failure isn't quite so punishing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Does frequent character death result in a fresh playbook every time, or are there recommendations for how to track/award XP for starting characters at “higher levels”?

I assume the GM is just supposed to keep some more rookies "on hand" to throw into the meat grinder.

Saying that I am fairly sure that even rookies would be fairly good soldiers by this point. My main GM is going to be out of town for a month or so later on in the year, so I might run a quick game of this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ZachAttack posted:

I think band of blades is a triumph. I had the pleasure of playing it with one of the writers at Gencon two years ago and got myself a copy as soon as I could.

I also love BitD, so I'm not sure how you would fare just jumping in to BoB without knowledge of the system, but the book is totally self contained with regards to rules.

The world building is top notch, and if I never get to play it again, it was worth it just for the read. In typical evil hat fashion, the physical book is of much higher quality then the typical print on demand hardcovers most new releases use.

If you like black company and have even a passing interest in more narrative driven roleplaying then you should check it out.

It's also, from what I have seen, absolutely hard as balls to win with. Like seriously, holy gently caress.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I always thought it wasn't until it went from "corruption" to "blight" that Shreya would notice.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It does mean that if you end up with a threat 5 Chosen they are effectively going to be able to go toe to toe with any of the broken and, hopefully if you help out, send their essence right back to the gods.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I had a quick question, but do folks think it would be possible/ good to make a blades in the dark that didn't have the "constant doom is all around" aspects? Like you still have the lightning tech and the ghosts, but when you die no-one knows what happens, and there are signs that life is returning to certain places.

I just find myself interested in general skullduggery but I find the sheer bleakness of "you die, the world is hosed and getting worse" not especially appealing at this point in time. Would it undercut the themes too much, or would it be appropriate?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean I do like the idea that, if a series of heists goes really badly wrong up and running might be an idea. It'd just take time to prep the next city and get set up there.

Would, say, have it so that it goes through phases of extreme growth and for the last decade or so the exterior portions of the dusk have been "lightly" irradiated with plants that grow through your foot and other weirdness?

I do like the dome city approach and the general weirdness of the setting, but I always wanted to have the ectoplasm as like "secret government evil" like harvesting people to power things is seen as horrible, and most folks just use electricity like normal.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 7, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Wait I'm getting it confused with "melting ghosts down in the electricity" thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Or just have it that murder always leaves a ghost. If you die of old age/ a surfeit of lampreys you are fine, but almost no matter what a violent death leaves a ghost.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mhm, the basic feature of "gangs and individuals in them" works really well, and I think could probably be adapted for a whole load more.

I think it is why we might end up seeing more BitD hacks over AW hacks.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Shanty posted:

If you do prepared maps in blades they have to be massive and you have to sweep everything off the table dramatically before unrolling them.
You may use figures to represent the players, BUT they have to be salt shakers, ketchup bottles, other people's half empty mugs etc.
I'm pretty sure this is all in the rules.

ZachAttack posted:

This is all 100% correct, but you forgot about how you then must dramatically stab a dagger through the map embedding it into the table when you reveal the target of the heist/murder/kidnapping.

These are true but only if the heist is going without a hitch.

If things go bad it needs to cut to the pepper pot falling over dramatically.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Is hack the planet any good?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh dear, that is a pity. I have been looking at some of the BitD shadowrun hacks on itch.io because I kind of like the idea of the setting of Shadowrun without the ruleset.

Question two, how is "Glow in the Dark" and what is "The Veil"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Quick question folks, but has anyone "relocated" blades?

By which I mean keeping the mechanics the same but having the setting move from the darkness of Duskvol into another setting? I am not sure if I want to try, but I have had a few ideas about making something and was wondering if there were any examples? Mostly I just keep finding ones where the mechanics have been radically altered instead.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you want to keep the basic Blades mechanics and just transpose the whole thing to a city you wrote up yourself, you need to remember a few facts about Duskwall which are actually critical parts of the way the game works on a mechanical level:
- the world outside the city walls is a blasted hellscape, which means you can't just run out of town after something bad happens; you have to lay low in the city itself, where you're always within reach of your enemies. It's impossible not to poo poo where you eat, in general.
- Duskwall is old and crowded; every inch of available space has already been claimed by someone. Combined with the above it means that you can't get things without taking them from someone else and making enemies in the process. This drives conflict between factions.
- concurrent with the above, resources are limited and the infrastructure of the city and its people is easy to disrupt. There are also barriers to introducing new people and new things into the city.
- spirit bells, deathseeker crows and ghosts mean that killing people is very suboptimal and you can't just shank someone to silence them. It's harder to remove human obstacles and foes will either stick around for a long time or make your lives hard even when they're dead.
- the ghost field exists and can be interacted with; there are a lot of mechanical elements that do this.

This is very interesting, I'd like to show the few solutions that I have thought of to these thus far:

-Just not have an end to the city. The option to run and hide doesn't really apply as much when the state is all around and people can communicate across long distances. Also, does this need to be hard and fast as a rule? Could you just make it so that the cost of running is much much worse than staying and fighting? The loss of what you've built up and all that?
- That's fine, the current plan was to already have a bunch of factions already set up as powerbrokers. To ask a slightly deeper question though, is there any recent game that doesn't have there be a huge amount of things to interact with first alongside your own attempts to create something new? Other than dungeon crawlers I don't know if I've ever been in a game that doesn't have some level of this.
- I think the thinness of resources is something I need to look at more.
- To steal a more "gamey" option just having the police able to contact the other side/ cast "speak with dead" would be a useful option to fall back on.
- I had a look at the Whispers moves and the only one that requires a ghost field is "Compel", which can be rewritten to any weird demon thingamajig fairly simply (hopefully). Are there all that many other character or wider options? (leaving aside the Hull, ghost and vamp play books for obvious reasons)

Have "attune" just being the generalised "magic sense" does seem possible as well.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Undead Hippo posted:

Except for the ghost stuff. That all needs a rework.

This is one of the big things I really dislike about the setting. I know a lot of people like the idea, but I find the whole "all the time ghosts" thing just not my style.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

I'm doing a campaign set in a homebrew city and we've downplayed the ghost angle in favor of an "arcane" field. I'm with you- the emphasis on ghosts just doesn't work for me either.

Thank you! This is also a great idea and I am probably going to steal it. How has it worked so far for you?

See general "arcane" stuff seems to me so much more interesting because it is so much more easily customisable.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kumo posted:

I thought there were a lot of spin-offs of the Blades system?

Band of Blades for instance, Wicked Ones? Scum and Villainy?

Hold up here we go: https://www.reddit.com/r/bladesinthedark/comments/d9u8fa/list_of_all_forged_in_the_dark_based_games/

Oh there are! The conflict resolution system remains the same through all of them.

It's just that I don't have an issue with the actual classes or abilities or other sections of "Blades" just mainly ghost lore and things around that. I do like some of the spin-offs, but I'd just like to relocate the majority of Blades as a book, as opposed to starting fresh.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

They are able to let you know that something is very wrong, but you can't quite tell the fact from the fiction?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh poo poo are you playing a Spider?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Down With People posted:

I had just watched the Godfather when we started playing so I couldn't resist the Spider.

I always liked the fact that it is a support role for a game that is very weird when it comes to support.

How are you finding it btw?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Dang, when is that out? I missed the kickstarter but that looks right up my alley.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The way I'm planning on doing it is not having it set up like a house but set up as a series of challenges. Like if the group choose to approach stealthily then there might be alarms to avoid and patrols. If they approach loud its going to be mooks and the target trying to flee.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

We did a post-mortem on the campaign after it ended and I had a bunch of notes which I'd been meaning to write up for this thread, as well, so I took the time to do so just now.

Heya I know this is very late, but thanks for this. I've never run a Band of Blades game but it is always something I would love to do at some point, and I wanted to thank you for making this list of hints and tops and telling your story.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Are there any recent BitD hacks that folks would recommend?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bloody hell, hadn't heard anything about that. I'd bought Wiked Ones and was thinking of getting one of the expansions/future stuff but bloody hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

At least he released it under CC. Still though, urgh.