Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Melt them?

Seriously, though, you drastically underestimate how expensive and difficult it is to put large things in space, drastically overestimate how much power a satellite with some big solar panels on it produces, and appear to think that lasering the energy through the atmosphere is safe, easy, efficient, and worth the massive costs involved.

To put things in perspective, the entire world used 22,126,000,000 MWh of electricity in 2011, and that's not even counting energy consumption from other non-electrical sources such as the gasoline in your car's tank. 1600MW (which is a loving absurd bullshit number you'd probably need a solar panel the size of Wyoming for) is a drop in the bucket.

I dunno where you're getting your figures from but all my research papers (can't link them they're behind an extremely expensive pay wall that you can't afford) estimate that a single microwave power plant will cost approx. 28,000$ dollars and output 1,600MW. Again, this is out of date so I expect that the real cost will be lower by now.

Gavrilo Princip posted:

I'm currently working in this field, what exactly do you want to know? Working power plants are a long way off, although a functioning prototype (the DEMO reactor) is the next phase of development after ITER. Current timescales put DEMO at around 15-20 years after ITER begins operation (which should happen within a few years). Notional plants maybe 10-15 years after that. Not the most hopeful timescale, it's true, but speaking with a decent knowledge of the current state of the field, it is likely to actually happen.

How safe are they? In spider-man 2 the miniature sun they create gets out of control and I think Dr. Octopus has to sacrifice himself to stop it from growing and destroying the planet. Are fusion reactors more or less dangerous than nuclear? Would you say an out of control fusion reaction is more or less likely than the microwave energy tube breaking/bending?? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JohnGalt posted:

Why don't we take the poor and put them into self contained pods which harvest their electrical energy and place their minds into a simulation of earth.

We reduce demand while increasing supply. It can't fail.

Best Username/Post Combo.

Frykte posted:

I dunno where you're getting your figures from but all my research papers (can't link them they're behind an extremely expensive pay wall that you can't afford) estimate that a single microwave power plant will cost approx. 28,000$ dollars and output 1,600MW. Again, this is out of date so I expect that the real cost will be lower by now.

BULLSHIT. Bullshit. Bullshit.

Frykte posted:

How safe are they? In spider-man 2 the miniature sun they create gets out of control and I think Dr. Octopus has to sacrifice himself to stop it from growing and destroying the planet. Are fusion reactors more or less dangerous than nuclear? Would you say an out of control fusion reaction is more or less likely than the microwave energy tube breaking/bending?? Thanks.

It is nuclear. Fusion is nuclear. Fission is Nuclear. They are both nuclear.

Also, your tube idea is hilarious and also bullshit.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

CommieGIR posted:

BULLSHIT. Bullshit. Bullshit.

GameFAQs for SimCity2000 posted:

-MICROWAVE POWER-

Date Available: 2020
Output in Megawatts: 1,600
Cost: $28,000

An orbiting satellite around the Sun collects solar energy. It then
beams it back down to the plant, harnessing it and making it usable to
the public. That is how microwave power works. But there are occasions
where the beam misses and hits the neighborhood instead, torching it
and destroying the plant, not to mention cutting off power to everyone.
This is what could happen to you and your city if you play with
disasters enabled. But is also very inexpensive, while not looking like
that at first glance. It only costs $17.50 per megawatt of power; you
can compare that to the $40 that gas power costs. It is also very, very
clean, producing no pollution whatsoever. Microwave power is a good
idea for huge cities with gigantic power needs, and very little space,
but have a large cash reserve.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Frykte posted:

loving lol you can't be serious

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Frykte posted:

Plus irradiation is permanent.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ohhhh he got us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drat. Well, I guess we'd better start construction and cut funding to public infrastructure ASAP. Y'know, before another disaster hits.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
To be fair to the OP I did always skip to fusion.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Click this thread for one weird trick to generate energy the central bankers don't want you to know about

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How about blasting it with tachyon particles?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Frykte posted:

Read the entire thread before replying please. It won't hurt the atmosphere because it's either going through a tube for the length of the atmosphere, or a metal rod will make a path for the microwaves.

Wait, you're going to build a loving space elevator and all you're going to do with it is use your bullshit energy generation technology from SImCity 2000?

BTW, the materials required to make a space elevator don't exist and may never exist. It ain't gonna be metal either.

Also if your 35,785-kilometer bullwhip to the heavens breaks, what's going to happen to the earth?

E: Oh wow he really did take this straight from SimCity 2000.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 21, 2015

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frykte posted:

If you can't identify trolling by a statement like this, you are basically braindead.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Zodium posted:

If you can't identify trolling by a statement like this, you are basically braindead.

I thought people figure it out by the first post

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

I thought people figure it out by the first post

Debate and Discussion.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Woolie Wool posted:

Wait, you're going to build a loving space elevator and all you're going to do with it is use your bullshit energy generation technology from SImCity 2000?

BTW, the materials required to make a space elevator don't exist and may never exist. It ain't gonna be metal either.

Also if your 35,785-kilometer bullwhip to the heavens breaks, what's going to happen to the earth?

E: Oh wow he really did take this straight from SimCity 2000.

Yeah you better call my 3rd grade teacher and tell her to change my A+ grade for my report about ants based entirely on Sim Ant because video games can't possibly be scientifically accurate, right? :rolleyes:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Debate and Discussion.

...but if we take this obvious troll seriously, and then debunk his position, we will have accomplished...

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

blowfish posted:

...but if we take this obvious troll seriously, and then debunk his position, we will have accomplished...

I will actually say that I was quite surprised by some of the information people posted, and I'm actually glad somebody made this dumb thread. This is one of those dumb science fiction ideas that gets tossed around a little bit sometimes, and it's pretty stunning how stupid it actually is on every single level. From the sheer cost, to the possibility of devastation caused by the microwave beam, to the impossibility of actually providing enough usable electricity... I think this thread was worth it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Did people not actually get that this was a SimCity 2000 thing from the first post?

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

Did people not actually get that this was a SimCity 2000 thing from the first post?

The authors of the SimCity 2000 instruction manual used solid peer reviewed scientific research for the sections on water systems and power plants. Nobody in this thread has actually refuted using a tube to get microwave energy past the atmosphere.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Alpha Centauri had a much sounder scientific basis than SimCity and it placed Orbital Power Transmitters after fusion in the tech tree so hold your drat horses, OP.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The latest SimCity has poop agents to handle all your fecal transference needs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CommieGIR posted:

I'm saying pouring MEGAWATTS of energy through the atmosphere is a terrible idea, regardless of giant metal rods or giant tubes.

The current satellites in orbit generate maybe 400-500 watts on average for their payloads. Even the ISS generates only about 84 Kilowatts from its massive solar panels. You are wanting to generate Megawatts, and then pass those through an atmosphere. Ivanpah generates ~320 MW and covers THOUSANDS of acres. So to get to the scale you want to be at, we'd need an orbiting solar panel thousands of acres in size.

This. A sustainable model of star energy collection was already proposed back in the sixties by way of Dyson Spheres/Swarms: Fucktons of radiation panels put up close to and around a star (in our case, the sun), but the technology to do so still eludes us. Especially since, if we blocked off the sun, we'd have to go live on the habitat we'd build around it, and that's kinda hard too.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Where on the tech tree is it?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I support this endeavour OP because it can be easily repurposed into a death ray to vapourise poor brown people.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Phobophilia posted:

I support this endeavour OP because it can be easily repurposed into a death ray to vapourise poor brown people.

That's the neutron bomb, jeez

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Can the satellite beam be aimed with enough accuracy to reliably take down the giant alien/monster thingy? I could support that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pope Guilty posted:

That's the neutron bomb, jeez

Ah, but can you neutron bomb people from orbit? I think not sir.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

its actually space illegal to have weapons of mass destruction in orbit

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Ah, but can you neutron bomb people from orbit? I think not sir.

If your cyberpunk future doesn't have neutron bomb rods from god I don't want to live in it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Could we, say, construct a graphene space windmill to harvest the energy of the solar winds? Theoretically, of course.

How would you keep it from just acting as a solar sail?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You just need to drop a space anchor on earth from orbit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

You just need to drop a space anchor on earth from orbit.

great now we're spinning the earth

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

blowfish posted:

great now we're spinning the earth

WE'LL BE FLUNG INTO THE HEAVENS

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Put sails and a rudder on earth, turning it into a giant spaceship?

Now this is something I can get behind.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

JohnGalt posted:

Put sails and a rudder on earth, turning it into a giant spaceship?

Now this is something I can get behind.

Add some continent-sized fusion engines.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Click this thread for one weird trick to generate energy the central bankers don't want you to know about

it's just a link to "Chain Reaction"

it's the movie "Chain Reaction" starring Keanu Reeves and Morgan Freeman

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So im envisioning the space weapon system from cod ghosts except instead of tungsten rods it shoots energy down instead

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So im envisioning the space weapon system from cod ghosts except instead of tungsten rods it shoots energy down instead

In the future, barbecues will be :black101:. Attach GPS device to cow, wait for microwave satellite to take aim and fire.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Realtalk my crazy grandfather still believes that this is the solution to our energy crisis and would occasionally launch into rants about either this strategy or a plan involving magnets rolling in a metal tube to generate free energy.

I; having just played Sim City was all "But Grampa what if it misses?" :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The projected maximum payload for Falcon Heavy is 53 metric tons to LEO, but only 19 metric tons to a geostationary transfer orbit! We'll be generous again and assume that this ratio applies to the final payload to geostationary orbit itself. This effectively raises our launch cost by a factor of at least 2.8, meaning it would cost about 3.1 billion dollars - again, this is only to lift the mass of the solar arrays into orbit. This doesn't cover actually building a modular solar array satellite bigger than the International Space Station, nor does it cover building the receiving antenna or power infrastructure on the ground. Better hope you can design it to be remotely assembled without a human presence, because manned missions will rapidly inflate your costs too.
If you can keep the costs under $20 billion, it would still be less than what the US military spent annually on air conditioning during the Iraq & Afghanistan wars.

• Locked thread