Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Minrad posted:

I never got the appeal of player housing. Hell, wow's take on it is killing their game. Guild housing is cool, though.

Never really did much for me either. In what way is WoW's housing "killing their game" though?

I suspect an exaggeration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RottenK posted:

what if someone somehow combined a moba with an mmo

Vanilla Alterac Valley.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The natural consequence of games whose only "appeal" is making numbers get bigger.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

wildstar is the embodiment of libertarian values applied to a virtual space.

No that's EVE.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SarutosZero posted:

Actually you can promise whatever you want because most mmo players are too dumb to stop playing a game that doesn't deliver

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SarutosZero posted:

well it didnt take long for a "Heh you mad?" wildstar defense post to appear

Don't pick a fight a with Iron Tusk, fella. His Bad Game defense skills are legendary. Few people defended MWO and lived to tell of it.

No storm can break him.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even as a person lame and sad enough to occasionally play MMO's I will never understand the obsession so many people have with collecting mounts and pets.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bombogenesis posted:

The FAQ for those curious. Didn't notice if it's been linked. Signature(paid) accounts get a 25% rep boost from quests and 50% from kills, along with 25% more XP and a bunch of other poo poo. :stare:

As awful as it sounds that's pretty par for the course on F2P MMO's. It's actually significantly less restrictive to non-subscribers than The Old Republic, for example.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
An ~Open World Survival Game~

So don't worry if you haven't heard of it, nobody else will a month from now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bacontotem posted:

CoH had one mechanic I wish other MMOs would steal in pvp. Tank taunts actually worked against players.

In what way did it affect players? Do you mean it literally took control away and forced you to attack that player?

Some games handle it by making taunts just cause the affected player to deal less damage to anyone but you with no actual control restrictions. I feel that is a pretty reasonable way of handling taunts in PvP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Holyshoot posted:

Was the lovely spot for ogres and trolls in eq the reason alliance were so popular at the start of wow? People not knowing if blizzard was going to gently caress over horde like eq did to those similar races?

I doubt it. Popular theory is that WoW cast a big net in terms of player base compared to all MMOs that came before it. It drew in huge numbers of first time MMO players and other "casuals" who were supposedly more drawn to the faction of "human, short human, shorter human, and elf" than the faction of "green monster, blue monster, cow man, and skeleton".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If anybody misses Warhammer: Online I suggest you look into Elder Scrolls Online. Cyrodiil is basically WAR reborn with one enormous lake instead of many smaller ones and minus the horrendous mismanagement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

Does it do the thing WAR did where healers could target both an ally and an enemy at the same time, and have skills that took advantage of this to work on both targets simultaneously?

Since that was the only time I ever had fun healing in an MMO and it annoys me that nobody else ever stole it.

It's even easier because you don't need to target. Heals are all either AOE circles or cones or auto-target nearby friendlies in order of health %.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

If it doesn't have collision between players and bright wizards/chosen then no deal.

I don't want to drag out a discussion of one game in another game's thread (even though it's Wildstar lol), so here is every way I can think of in which ESO's Cyrodiil is like WAR. If this stuff interests you then I encourage you to check it out (and we do have a thread here for it). But yes, player collision is a thing and there can be body blocking shenanigans in certain situations. Thread is here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706540 and I will stop the derail with this post.

First up is the biggest PvP lake of them all, Cyrodiil! Featuring 18 keeps, 54 resource nodes, 6 Elder Scroll temples, and 3 forward outposts. All capture and featuring destructible walls and gates.

A keep at peace, a siege camp, and a defense on the walls

Operable siege weapons. (not pictured, rams)

Destructible walls.

Field skirmishes (it's not all keep fighting)

Burning Oil!!!!!!

Not like WAR: Greenskins and hummies, working together (to kill elves).

Best of all, you can get everything you need without ever leaving Cyrodiil if that's what you want. PvE is optional. Gold, gear, crafting materials, exp, and everything else is available in Cyrodiil, and all war supplies from siege weapons to repair kits are purchasable with Alliance Points, a currency you earn from PvPing. The only (tiny barrier) is that you can't enter until level 10, but after that you can stay there forever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Also lol @ whoever spent 10 dollars trying to change my AV earlier for some weird reason. That's close to 200 dollars by now and at this point someone should just send me the money so I can buy cool gaming related stuff instead of buying me red text AV's that I won't pay myself to have reverted.

Hey Lowtax has kids to feed.

I think.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If we as a society have reached the point were facebook likes are used a legitimate measure of business success then I hereby motion that we all kill ourselves and shuffle off this dead gay mortal coil.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pulsarcat posted:

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Wildstar actually have reasonably strong initial sales, only to have their subscriber numbers absolutely plummet within a month or two?

I don't even have to look anything up to tell you are correct. This describes literally every MMO release in like the last five years.

Like, even the ones that ended up reasonable successful did this. It happens 100% of the time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SerCypher posted:

FFXIV is actually a notable abstainer from that trend. FFXIV numbers were high at launch (but not astronomical) and they've just kept going up since.

It's odd that people seem to forget the #2 MMO at the moment in their grandiose 'All MMOs do X' statements.

You are the talking about the game that was so abominable that it would have been scrapped if it didn't have the "Final Fantasy" name and required a complete rework from the ground up to transform into a tolerable experience? Is that the game you are talking about?

FFXIV proves the trend harder than most other MMO's ever could. Not counting the original launch is either disingenuous or stupid.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys just wanted to drop the amazing news that Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited has only been up and up since launch. You may have heard of its predecessor game, Elder Scrolls Online, which had high initial numbers but then bled subs. However the sequel (Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited), which I remind you is a wholly distinct game and really not at all related if you think about it, has only gained subs since launch. Quite an amazing game that bucks the MMO trend!

- SerCypher

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know what you are going on about. I made a claim that all MMO's start with high numbers, lose a bunch of people almost immediately, and then slowly ramp up over time (hopefully). You tried to use FFXIV as a counter example. But it's not a counter example so I made fun of you. Your last two posts are unrelated to that so they don't make any sense. You are nonsensically responding to points I never made instead of what we were originally talking about.

Basically, when it comes to your posts....

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kessel posted:

Lineage 1, in particular, is a monster that refuses to die. It, alone, took in more money last year than Square Enix's entire MMO division. And it's a game from 1998, so - sustained over the (very) long term, and not a cashgrab.

Holy lmao is this true? It's insane that to think that Lineage 1 still exists much less is a major player on the market.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"The posting in the Wildstar thread is bad and somehow I find this surprising and/or inappropriate."

- A Goon

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

socialsecurity posted:

Like if there were a better loot table maybe running Skullcano 100 times would of been slightly more rewarding.

How can there be any circumstances in which a human being could find running an MMO dungeon 100 times "rewarding"?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No just free fall.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Age of Conan, good game?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lima posted:

So which MMO is the most Randian? :can:

This is not opening a can of worms because there is zero debate necessary. The answer is EVE.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never raided in an MMO and even I refuse to believe that raiders are as low as 2-3% of the population. It has to be a lot more than that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol Flesh Forge is terrible and the only correct thing he's said in pages is that EVE is bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Holyshoot posted:

Housing in any game is dumb.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Minrad posted:

mostly because it's primarily held together by pubbies and momentum

hell they renamed clusterfuck alliance to something extremely dumb like The Alliance or The Empire or something and mittani mostly just uses it to sell out to his latest new friends on kickstarter. even non-active cfc members got some big email a few months back that was just straight up an ad to go play h1z1 or some other lovely zombie game.

It used to be called the "Clusterfuck Coalition" and now it's "The Imperium".

And yes mittani and like half the people in goonswarm stopped playing EVE in favor of zombie game H1Z1. Imo it shows impressive dedication to migrate from the 2nd worst game to the absolute worst.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

Last I heard goons "won" EVE in that there were no other major null sec alliances?

Kind of. There are numerous power blocs but the "goon" alliance's dominance is relatively unchallenged. Many people probably could fight but EVE big shots are big dumb babies that would rather squat on their wealth than risk it in space ship fights. Competing alliances have actively chose to be happy with their small slices of pie instead of fighting for larger ones and the goon alliance doesn't want to risk their dominance in a big conflict trying to grab more. Basically everyone involved has decided their idea of a good spaceship video game is one in which you amass and secure wealth instead of having battles.

Basically EVE is a terrible game but it's one that perfectly suites its player base.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
WAR was a pretty fun little game that was horribly mismanaged in the extreme.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Warrior Priests were kicking rad and possibly the most fun I've ever had in a healer role.

e: lol that pic

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dick Trauma posted:

Great character design and voice actor work. Running in a pack or orcs and goblins was fun, but my warrior priest was the best. Yes, let me stand on the flag and let the entire enemy team beat on me while I hold them off! :black101:

Yeah, whoever was in charge off character design and related stuff really poured some soul into the game.

West Ham Sandwich posted:

And then it got awful. 40-50 bracket was abysmal, and the experience spike every level was insane. I was leveling purely through pvp, and when I saw some of the maps in the later brackets and how long it would take to level through them, I uninstalled that poo poo so fast.

I really think WAR (and probably any PvP focused MMO) shouldn't have used a level based system. Level grinding should be for PvE experiences. In a PvP game levels take too much focus off the fight and act as unwelcome population separators. Everyone should be in the same pool, EVE and Planetside got it right. Unfortunately most developers either don't have the balls or the confidence in themselves to go without a level based progression system.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

socialsecurity posted:

Guild Wars 2 had a mode like that didn't have the participation leveled you'd expect. I liked it though was great to pick a class and try out its max level skills within 5 minutes.

Yeah but that's a tacked on solution. That's not making non-leveled system, it's not using the leveled system you made. A proper non-leveled system is something that is built from the ground up, not something flicked off with a switch when you enter PvP. I wouldn't participate in it either.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hit button posted:

Eve does have a level based system though, where it takes a very long time to catch up to older players in effectiveness even for easier roles. I do agree that they got it largely right, and there are plenty of avenues for "lower level" characters to be useful in pvp, but that's largely by virtue of the combat being asymmetric by design. It wouldn't work if fights in eve were battlegrounds with even numbers (such as the various tournaments where contenders are generally maxed in all relevant skills for their role).

I'm not sure what a pvp mmo without progression would look like, since its so fundamental to the genre. How would it be different from non-MMO pvp games like TF2 or MOBAs?

I mean it's hard to say just because you can probably count the number of games that have tried a non-leveld system on one hand so field testing is scarce. But basically I see a good non-leveled PvP progression system as relying on a combination of sidegrades like Planetside and "prestige goals".

1. Planetside has the right idea with it's gear system. You start with perfectly serviceable gear and can unlock a wide, wide variety of equipment and vehicles that are sidegrades in that they fill alternate roles instead of being straight improvements. That said you do need to develop a number of straight-up upgrades to be competitive and that part I dislike, but the concept is sound.

2. I think a big untapped source of non-leveled progression are what I'm calling "prestige goals" for lack of a better term (if someone knows one, tell me). These are unlocks and accomplishments that are fundamentally disconnected from in game power but nonetheless hold appeal and make people want to earn them. Give people opportunities to collect things or unlock cosmetics, housing stuff, or whatever else within a PvP context. A good example is dyes in ESO. The game doesn't make you pay for any dyes (I think), rather they can all be unlocked through gameplay, like "regicide red" which you get if you're involved in the kill of an active emperor. I think that expanding on this and giving people a wide variety of things to collect, materials to hunt for, and goals to accomplish could help supplant levels as a goal to work towards.

It's a concept that needs to worked on and I don't have all the answers, but I'd like to see more developers at least try to come up with an alternative to boring old character levels which inevitably make anyone not-max-level feel worthless.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Schubalts posted:

He got banned for saying really creepy poo poo in defense of BFM.

He was only probated for the pedo defense. He was banned because he made a Ban Me thread in GBS because he was so distraught and disillusioned over the whole affair.

Not making that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A game is bad but people are playing it? A shocking and unprecedented occurrence in the gaming world.

:destiny:

• Locked thread