Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
This game still exists? Considering how much money NCSoft has flushed down the toilet on it so far, I am amazed.

Is that guy who role plays a rat person on the forums still posting? I really hope he has a melt down. Of all the obnoxious people in the Wildstar community, he has always been particularly obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Even if they tone down the difficulty, the end game was buggy, grindy and unrewarding as gently caress which they probably haven't changed.

This is the big problem with Wildstar. The developers rhetoric was so anti-player, I seriously doubt they have done anything to make the game worth playing at this point. At least other games like ESO seem to have invested considerable resources into the player experience prior to going B2P. Carbine will probably do something idiotic like hobble non-subscription accounts with a severe xp penalty as a "gently caress you" to players.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The reviews that pointed out managements insistence on non-stop "crunch time" style work hours also stood out. This seems to be a signature of bad management. The kind of long term fatigue it leads to would also explain a lot about why so many bugs continued to not be resolved. Working long hours like that pretty quickly leads to mistakes becoming far more frequent.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Sankis posted:

I really liked the theme song from those green guys though I can't remember what they were called to find it again so maybe it was just the best thing of a bad game.

Wiildstar's music was excellent. I rarely play games with the music on, but I definitely kept it on for Wildstar. I also thought the game's art style was quite good, even if it was heavily derived from Pixar.

Wildstar got a lot of little things right. If it the game had actually had competent management/design it could have turned out pretty well. I think that is a big part of why it gets so much well deserved hate.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Isn't taking a runny dump on the players the design philosophy of a hardcore raiding mmo?

In the modern sense? Not really. As much as its detractors may hate the idea, the best hardcore raiding MMO these days is probably still WoW, and that is a very accessible game.

Taking a dump on players is just an antiquated MMO design philosophy. It really has nothing do with being hardcore or whatever other self aggrandizing labels various player bases like to apply to themselves. It is all about a design concept that was only good at the time because no one knew any better.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people?

If I remember right the announcement that quarterly updates were going to be cancelled came not long after Carbine had a big round of layoffs, as well as the cancellation of the Christmas event. The quarterly content patches was a pretty ambitious plan and at that point it had been clear for a while that Carbine wasn't going to be able to make it. It wasn't a big deal because it had been obvious it wasn't going to happen for a while.

Not only that though, but every major patch before that had introduced a whole slew of new bugs. Piling even more bugs on top of preexisting ones that were not being resolved. Carbine's management had pretty clearly been unable to handle development of the game. When the end of plans for quarterly content patches was announced it was spun as an effort on Carbine's part to focus more on bug quashing. Most people still playing the game at that point were pretty ok with this because it was rapidly becoming obvious that the number of bugs being introduced to the game was rapidly becoming catastrophic.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Wildstar is not a very good example of MMO action combat anyways.

Really? This was one of the things I thought the game did fairly well. Your character felt pretty responsive when you moved about doing double jumps, sprinting, etc. Telegraphs worked well in smaller fights, although in bigger fights they became an utter loving mess.

What is a better example of MMO action combat?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Holyshoot please post an update in the ArcheAge thread about the status of that pubbie weirdo's lawsuit against you.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

VoLaTiLe posted:

Wasn't archage the mmo with an active goon pedophile ring or something like that?

It was actually Eve. But when the Eve goons found out they gave them the boot. When they washed up in Archeage the guild leadership tried to keep them around since apparently they have nothing to do but play video games all day.

And what the weirdo was doing was grooming a 14 year old girl from Iceland. It was incredibly hosed up. He still shows up at Eve meetups in Dallas too.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Goons will play just about any MMO no matter how lovely it is. There are even some Goons playing Archeage Age, a game that was described by someone who is paid to practically felate MMOs as a "dumpster fire".

As far as I can tell there are no goons playing Wildstar at this point. This level of poo poo is unprecedented.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So apparently the game has a 17 hour maintenance period scheduled for tomorrow. No patch is scheduled to be rolled out so I have to wonder what the hell they are doing. The fact that this coincides with the NCSoft earning report is kind of interesting. If the servers were to go down and stay down watching the old guard flip their poo poo would certainly be entertaining.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I think Fran is just stressing more than usual because her banning talk about f2p actually made it onto an MMO news site.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/12/wildstar-subreddit-mod-bans-f2p-and-b2p-discussions/

I wonder if this will drive her over the edge.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

You should read the thread before posting. It is not moving that fast.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Those of us who don't obsess over WildStar's failure and just come to casually make fun of it don't know every alias of every deluded true believer.

If you casuals don't even have the skill and free time to read back two pages before posting maybe you should go post in a casual thread for babies like the WoW thread.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Valatar posted:

I'm suspicious that the surprise was going to be, "Surprise, we're on Steam!" Then it leaked and their true believers went all lord of the flies about it and the community started to disintegrate, and they had a moment of, "Oh poo poo, they're going to literally crucify us if the Steam thing is the surprise, we'd better come up with a new surprise, quick. Get Dave down in the art department to whip up a pet or something while we stall them."

I suspect you are right. The silence from Carbine at this point is pretty ominous. Then again maybe they don't see the games community disintegrating as a bad thing. The player base they cultivated is just absolutely toxic, and being stuck trying to placate them because they are the game's only stream of revenue has probably limited Carbine's ability to make the kind of drastic changes in direction the game needs.

Then again this is assuming Carbine's management is actually competent. All indications up until this point are that they absolutely are not.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

No, Carbine has commented on quite a few things since the games release. It's staff just has the really bad habit of saying the worst possible thing. Like their lead raid designer's incredibly sarcastic congratulations to the raiding guild that managed to kill a 40 man boss.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

and in this thread I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about how much money a game is making.

I don't know about that. The amount of money Wildstar has been making has provided some pretty good comedy lately.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I am really, really skeptical of the claims that Carbine can't perform rollbacks of their servers. Even at Carbine's level of bad management backups should be performed routinely. They almost certainly had the option to rollback after that big duping bug. They just chose not to, probably because of concerns about bad PR and angering their player base and a whole slew of other reasons why performing a rollback is frequently not done in MMOs and similar games. A lot of times rollbacks just cause further problems.

"Carbine can't even roll back their servers!" is going to be another one of those persistent myths, like claims that NCSoft shot Lord British into space so that they could forge his resignation.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Haha where is that quote from?

I know an Olivar quote when I see one.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That mandatory introduction essay has some potential for comedy.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys, we've got it all wrong. Wildstar is the most casual game on the market. Wrap it up, Aurinailures.

Hardcore Game design cannot fail. It can only be failed.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I feel kind of bad for mocking someone who is clearly suffering from some rather debilitating mental illness, but for some bizarre reason Franbunny has posted a picture of her teeth on Reddit. It is just too weird not to share with this thread. She even wears a Wildstar t-shirt in the pictures! How's that for free publicity?

For the curious: http://imgur.com/a/PKJZb

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Mechanism Eight posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/28/wildstar-free/

Years of content, guys. Guess that's where all the monthly content drops went :v:

This is very similar to their quarterly content patches plan. I understand that Carbine is in full hype mode currently, but loving come on. Do they ever loving learn that big promises like this backfire when you don't deliver?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Trion's decline into an exploitative shovelware pusher really is shocking. When they released Rift they were probably one of the highest regarded MMO developers ever. I am really curious what kind of shake up happened that lead to its current state.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

panda clue posted:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2015-05-29-its-wildstars-1st-birthday-but-youre-getting-the-gifts/

"Every home needs a First Annual Anniversary Cupcake décor piece complete with lights and fanfare. It ain't a party till someone brings cupcakes, cupcakes!"

This "EXXXTREME" humor was walking on thin ice even when the game was in open beta. How have they not realized that they are overdue to tone it down a bit by now? Or at least come up with a new gimmick.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

consider visiting archeage thread

The AA thread calmed down because Trion managed to extinguish that particular dumpster fire of a game. Now it is just a burnt out husk with a few desperate hangers on still posting.

Carbine on the other had seems determined to continue doubling down on their bad decisions. That, combined with their community of extremely rabid, extremely rabid fans leads to a pretty steady stream of comedy.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Givin posted:

Pretty sure it's the same person. Credit to Jackard for finding it.

He spells his name with an A, so it could be a different crazy person. On the other hand, that is very much his style of crazy so it could be him.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

oxidation posted:

I got this through the humble bundle and i'm level 20 so far and i'm really enjoying it

this topic is making me feel bad for liking this game :(

The early game isn't that bad. The art design, music and combat system give you enough to keep things interesting for a while. As you level though the poor zone design, uneven quest design, obnoxiously invasive challenges and a slew of other issues really start to drag the game down. Then you hit max level and it gets even worse.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

it didn't work for Super Monday Night Combat

I am sad to hear that SMNC turned out to be poo poo. The original was a lot of fun.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

What are the people who are still subbed to WoW up to anyways? I got the free week offer recently and seriously considered giving WoW another go, but it seems like there just isn't poo poo to do.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Anoia posted:

They log in, collect stuff from their garrisons, queue up garrison missions, and log out.

I am astounded that Blizzard hasn't released a cell phone app to allow players to do this without logging. Garrisons seemed tailor made for the mobile market.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

There seems to be a bit of anger at Carbine because one of their developers was asked if subscriber numbers were increasing and responded that they were. Of course, this earnings report demonstrates that this was a lie.

I wonder if this will actually catch on. Carbine has a long history of taking its player base for granted. This seems to have pushed a few people over the edge, and there really aren't that many people left.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So, kind of like Majesty but below ground?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

hopefully someday we get a tell-all about the internal politics of Wildstar, because this sort of thing fascinates me and what's gone on behind the scenes must be stunning

I really wish this would happen with a failed MMO like Wildstar, Vanguard or the countless other games that have failed. MMOs are such massive project with huge staffs, frequently lead by some weirdo with a big ego but no management skills. On top of that these games tends to cultivate communities that need careful management or they will just about go insane and do their damnedest to burn the whole thing down. Watching these games fail is kind of intriguing, and an honest tell all from someone in upper management is definitely something I would buy.

Of course, that wont happen since it seems like the golden rule for upper management is that as long as you dont criticize anyone else there will always be a job waiting for you some where, no matter how bad you gently caress up.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Picking up those boxes for a 50% discount on your monthly sub is pretty reasonable really. Buying 20 months worth of subscription for a game that is going f2p very soon though? What on earth is wrong with these people?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

More reactions to the attunement removal.

quote:

lame, I actually enjoy going through attunement. I have yet to complete it, but honestly, it is preparing me for what is to come.

I wonder how long this person has been playing the game.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Didnt they triple or quadruple the number of stats? So now instead of doing something stupid like stacking moxie, you do something stupid like stack shield max.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pierson posted:

A big problem I had with Guild Wars 2 at endgame was that it felt aimless and weird and by what you just posted they fixed that somehow.

Stop making me want to reinstall Guild Wars 2.

Don't worry. It still feels aimless and weird.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I havent played PoE in a while, but when I did it also suffered from "SUPER HARDCORE PUNISH THE PLAYER" syndrome. Respecing for example is incredibly difficult and can only be done one point at a time, using an item that is not a very common drop. If you have seen PoE's talent tree you probably can understand why this is very punishing to new players.

The game also did a whole lot right. If they were to add a reasonable respec system to the game I would definitely play it again. As is, your options are to either use a cookie cutter build made by another player, or prepare yourself to spend a ton of time grinding and trading for respec token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Because I enjoy bad video games I went ahead and installed this, only to find out that character transfers from PvP to PvE servers are disabled and will cost $20 once they are reenabled. Whelp, so much for that.

It also appears at some point my account was hijacked, but the hijacker got bored and wandered off leaving a large number of AH items for me to dig though. That cant be a good sign about the state of the game.

• Locked thread