Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So did that bug where an entire race/class combo didn't have weapon drawing/holstering sound effects get fixed? Aurin Spellslingers, was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Valatar posted:

Unless they're even more retarded than I gave them credit for, credd will maintain some value after the switch. There will either be some sort of premium time subscription, or credd will be usable in the inevitable cash store. Completely devaluing the credd and blatantly loving over their current customers would have consequences that I think even they would balk at.

Reminder that Carbine's response to characters losing all raid attunements and progression was "Make a new character." Do not underestimate Carbine.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nobody knows because Carbine has said nothing in response.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The best part is the idiots saying "But Carbine will spend time on things I don't want them to" as if Carbine has been spending time on things that they have confirmed that the idiots want, at any time since beta, with Wildstar being a subscription-based game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Like "We literally cancelled Christmas" Carbine has holiday parties.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

And like Wildstar will probably end up, Hellgate is f2p. :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Byolante posted:

Wait, if there was no BRD, how did a dungeon take 75 minutes to speedrun, or don't I want to know??

quote:

Sanctuary of the Swordmaiden is a level 50 Dungeon located in north west Wilderrun. It is the largest 5 man instance and features a non-linear level design. There are six bosses, a random subset of five optional bosses, and one event.
http://wildstaronline.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary_of_the_Swordmaiden_%28Strategy_Guide%29

It has at least twice as many bosses as every other dungeon, with Wildstar boss mechanics.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

How is it less hardcore if the game forces you to commit to your big attacks? How do their brains work?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Back to interrupt armor, its a shittier version of another NCSoft game idea, which was B&S boss armor mechanic. The difference being that B&S had mostly 5 man dungeons and you needed just another person to break through the CC armor. Hell "support" classes could trigger armor breaks by themselves by doing two CC abilities in a row. While Wildstar didnt really teach you the mechanic, B&S took you through a story quest where an NPC would trigger the armor break for you to exploit or you'd never clear it.

This is a loving korean game that came out like 2 years before wildstar came out.

B&S's version also looks infinitely better, because once something is stunned, it's vulnerable to everybody's grabs/grapples, such as hopping on its chest or choking it with an axe's shaft. So you interrupt the boss, then every member of the party has some way to pin it down even further (only one grab per stun, though), instead of just "boss takes more damage for X seconds."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Bauxite posted:

If it's not a suplex it isn't worth using.

If it is, GOTY.

Also technically it's "the same thing" but if someone's need for HARDCORE makes them blind to the difference between doing x% more damage to something or suplexing something then their opinion is invalid.

Is a high kick into a midair leglock good enough?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

"It'll get fixed for launch, guys." *performance issues and well known bugs persist for months post-launch*

Bauxite posted:

But do you then somehow pivot in midair like it's fist of the north star and throw them into the ground like a doom train? I think the throwing someone into the ground part is the most important part.

Ok, getting closer. I found a gif I had saved of an aircombo to a grab, but for a different class. It's a spinning piledriver.

I think Kirbysuperstar made this one. From back when we had a thread for Chinese B&S.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Uh, Blizzard learned The Wrong Lessons. Wildstar is WOW Done Right, after all.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You have to download the chinese version because NCSoft never bothered localizing it.

Or the japanese one actually, it went f2p recently

Chinese version costs like a couple dollars a month for premium, but it also has an exchange where you could buy cash shop currency from players for in-game money.

LordSaturn posted:

That was the game with the race of half-dressed eight-year-olds, right?

It's less 8 year olds and more you can make them anything between a tiny, ancient kung fu master (your crazy old master in the tutorial is a member of this race, massive bushy eyebrows and all) and an 8 year old.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Well there was/is an Elvis costume for men.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people?

It was, but Carbine and the official forums are what they are.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I feel like B&S, if the Chinese version isn't any different from the Korean version, wouldn't have too many problems being appealing. Leveling up isn't a massive grind, respeccing your skills and talents was easy, the combat is like a hybrid of action and tab-target, dungeons are designed for a single party and the dungeon finder has its own big chat room, the dungeon finder spawns its own hub area with a guy who will accept daily quest turn-ins and a general/repair merchant, the faction PvP is introduced as part of the main questline and only requires putting on or taking off your faction uniforms, and there's quite a bit of free/quest reward clothes for playing dressup. You can run up walls and trees and glide all over the place, or run and jump across water, when you feel like goofing around.

Really, all NCsoft would have to do is not change any systems to be worse somehow.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

e: man, Blade and Soul characters sure are shiny

That's actually a setting you can change in character creation. You can have normal looking skin, or you can look like you secrete baby oil.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Anoia posted:

The fact they've yet to reveal classes when it's already beta gives me flashbacks to WAR, too.

Just look at info for the Russian version if you want to know all the classes, I guess? The way the betas and marketing are being done for the NA/EU version is pretty dumb, though, which is part of that problem. The current beta is one or two major patches behind the Russian open beta

Basic version differences

It's at a point where people who know about the differences have stopped playing the English beta for now.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

croutonZA posted:

Is this true? This seems too stupid even for Carbine.

Yes, it's true. The dev team didn't know about warplots until they were brought up as a feature in an interview. It was the president or CEO of Carbine, or someone similarly high up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Build your own instanced fort, find 40 people on your faction who want to sit around for forever waiting, then hope another group of 40 people on the other faction has a fort made and are also waiting around at the same time. If you actually manage to get the 80 people all queued up at once, you play Wildstar Brand 2fort.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

sword_man.gif posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125321-ptr-character-copy-service-now-live/

and it only takes 15 hours that you can't login to the character during to perform

Wait, did they stop the PTR and then start it up again just now???

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Trion happened, along with people realizing just how RNG-driven Archeage is.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

Firstly, I want WildStar to succeed and step back into the glory it deserves,

Wildstar was never in a real position of glory in the first place.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The fire is getting too large to see the dumpster.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The hell is that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

CoH was also pre-WoW. Wildstar didn't, or shouldn't, have the luxury of ignorance especially when created by "veterans".

Ex-WoW staff "veterans", at that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Not really, the *insert name* industry cares a lot more about experience than a history of failure, for whatever reason.

Fixed that for ya.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Franbunny is a blooming onion of crazystupid.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Givin posted:

That statement is false because Wildstar has the opportunity to improve over time.

I think you meant to use "had" there, buddy.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

And there's the official F2P announcement.

Reddit should be in good spirits today.

https://www.wildstar-online.com/en/freetoplay/

Why does it have a big "Signup for beta" button?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

theultimo posted:

As evidenced by Elder Scrolls.

Hey now, the ESO devs actually seem to have listened to what players were saying, and people say it's much better than it was at launch.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's an extension of playing dress-up. If there is a mount/pet that can only be gotten in one way that is forever closed off, people will want it because of its unique appearance and to lord it over people who missed their chance. Mostly the latter, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Ocanthus posted:

So what was so bad about Rift's store that it was considered 'exploitative'; was it only for raiding and above?

Outright selling gear for one.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Reason posted:

Are there really only two servers left? Are there any goons playing anymore?

They merged their servers into two "mega-servers".

Thunderbro posted:

. Buff CDs were lengthened by 10 minutes for non-subs.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know they increased cooldowns like that. That is some Ragnarok Online 2 localization bullshit.

To explain, the English versions of Ragnarok Online 2 had some changes in the name of cash shop money. One such change was multiplaying the cooldown of the two resurrection spells by TEN, without rebalancing the game around the spells suddenly not being usable multiple times per boss fight. Instead of being able to get multiple people back in the fight, you had to pray that only one person died, because anyone else is going to stay dead or have to respawn back at the instance entrance.

The cash shop sold resurrection items with a much lower cooldown.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I think tiny children would give up and go outside after the first couple wipes caused by that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I loved both Monday Night Combat and SMNC and I still miss them. Uber got screwed over by their exclusivity deal with Microsoft for MNC and SMNC was accidentally launched too early, causing Uber to panic and push forward despite SMNC not being anywhere near done. They eventually ran out of money to properly keep developing for the game.

And then they put a bitcoin miner in the SMNC game files.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

John Dyne posted:

To expand on this, EverQuest was one of those games that was such a product of its time. Having such a stark divide between good and evil and all that was neat and all, but it meant certain races were just plain hosed. With the XP penalty they got, and how far out of the loving way they were, trolls and ogres just had a poo poo time, and their cities sucked.

Also your race determining if you could even see at night without a light source.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

John Dyne posted:

Oh and Wildstar won some stupid award for 'most anticipated MMO in 2015' in China. I don't think they had a lot of competition.

Considering Moonlight Blade already released, I would put money on Wildstar having zero Chinese MMO competition for that vote.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

My money's on warplots becoming a subscriber-only feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

croutonZA posted:

How is Conan still around? Is it even still getting content updates to keep people around?

It is, actually. It got a content update in May.

• Locked thread