Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Archonex posted:

Yeah. If this thread sticks around it will inevitably get bogged down in shitposts at some point in the future,

I don't think we need to worry about people shitposting that the game is good anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

They didn't say it to be assholes, they just literally did not have the technology to restore individual characters, so they would have had to rollback entire servers to restore them. I'm vaguely surprised they didn't just do that.

They're assholes because they said it and they said it because they're assholes. These things just go hand in hand.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

My point is that they didn't do it out of spite, they just didn't put a system in place because they're morons.

That's probably true. It's also true that they could have done a shitload of other things and not be assholes about it. The only reason to give the answer they did is because they're assholes. There isn't a dichotomy here, the choices weren't "give them impossible things" and "be an rear end in a top hat." There's a range of very diplomatic answers that you can use to disappoint customers that any loving waiter would know between the two, but they chose instead to give the "eh, reroll your characters?" answer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Worst part about the mouse aim is that even Tera had that as a base feature instead of saying "Eh, the modders will figure something out for that, let's go take a big runny dump on the people who still enjoy our game"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Sankis posted:

oh yeah i totally forgot about the hilarious disconnect between the writing. There was something they did early on on the bad guy side with comic books that I thought was really cool. I think you collected them and they had lore in them? I actually liked that. It was referential and silly without being CUPCAKE NOM NOM NOM CUPCAKE CUPCAKE like the rest of the game was.

The taxi dialogue made me want to smash my monitor. There was a beta era mod that disabled their dialogue but it stopped being updated before the game launch. I should have realized something was wrong when most of the mods weren't updated for launch.

There was a bug that made taxi driver dialogue play for anyone in the zone you were flying over for awhile in beta too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Someday goons will realize that no, you don't need an offsite with authentication until the game is established and the goon guild in it becomes actually large, and even then still probably not. Not that it did anything meaningful to the wildstar experience that wildstar itself didn't inflict on us.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The WS devs didn't understand the importance of having leveling mobs not being assholes. Downtime from the AWESOME fights is actually a really important thing, just like the pacing in a good suspense novel has downtimes where the characters aren't in immediate danger of getting their assholes ripped open.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Byolante posted:

I stopped playing mmos when I sat down and considered the fact that the only way I could enjoy it was by enjoying something else while glancing at it every so often.

To me it's the other way around. I can't just sit and watch TV without doing something else, so I play MMOs to give me something to do while I watch TV.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

The anniversary MC40 was great because they didn't scale back on any of the BS mechanics like core hound packs and all the decursing that was needed so it was an utter poo poo show.

I did MC40 once as a warrior tank. I hosed up and pulled a second pack of magma hounds with heroic leap but everyone thought it was just funny and we didn't actually wipe. By the time we got to rag we were all yelling the names of our attacks in chat like it was dragon ball Z because you go more than a little insane in that environment.

Archonex posted:

Really, the worst thing they did was cater so hard to the "hardcore" demographic with their PR. Now every time they gently caress up an element of the game design it gets attributed to a hardcore mentality on the design staff now. This is even if it was just a badly planned feature instead of intended to be hardcore. People are just going to assume that's how the game was supposed to be designed instead of it being a shittily planned feature at release that could be patched later on.

I'm betting that outside of folks like Timetraveler everyone left in management is making GBS threads their pants at the failing state of the game at the moment. Plenty of MMO's have plenty of lovely release day features that get patched out later, along with rough periods. Now, even if they do fix the game up a bit they've chased off most of their consumers and left themselves with a ridiculously militant P2P favoring lunatic base. So even if they fix a lot of the poo poo that chases people off they're still going to alienate a portion of their base.

I bet a fair number of people in the company are praying F2P takes well enough that they can regain some of the trust and larger consumer base they've lost. If only because if they fix all the horrid grinding, bad UI elements, and all the other poo poo in the game after that particular population boom the game is pretty much done for no matter what they do.

If it was only timetraveler who was being a grognard idiot, they would have shouted him down by now because the overwhelming evidence is that they need to change the direction their game is going and that doubling down on HARDCORE was a big mistake. There probably are some people in Carbine hoping for a f2p switch and a change in direction, but I doubt many of them are in any positions of authority.

It's debatable whether the bugs or being HARDCORE drove away more people, but I'm guessing most people were driven away by both. That's a pretty potent cocktail of lovely game design and execution.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

It'll be even better, you need sub to have a house at all and the protostar NPCs actually make fun of you for being a poor and give you a cardboard box underneath someone else's house to live in while laughing at you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I'm just waiting for the string of news articles about carbine developers quitting to work on mobile games or just disappearing (since this IS NCsoft we're talking about) and the game being taken over by a new team.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

That raises a good question: what was the focus of gameplay supposed to be? It wasn't the grind because that was tedious and full of grindy mobs and adds that could kill you, but it clearly wasn't endgame raiding because they deliberately made it impossible.

It was putting your nuts in a vice and paying 15 dollars a month and 100+ hours for the privilege.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Weapons degrade over both time and use, fully broken gear turns into a broken version of the item and can only be used as a crafting material to remake the item by another player.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think the anniversary MC raid put this nonsense to bed. Even people who were heroic/mythic raiders/even old MC raiders were talking about how it was just a miserable experience.

I think it was a good experience once, but even if you had fun with it you understood that you would never do it again and why it was so bad. It was a good experience in the same way that watching a really terrible movie with your friends is.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

two things. 1) I'm glad you didn't timg it, it's a much better effect when you have to keep scrolling down and get more incredulous as it goes on, and 2) the best thing about world bosses was you had to do different ones for your 10 total and if your progress reset at like 8 or 9 then you could not do that step anymore because there wouldn't be enough world bosses left to fill out 10 kills.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of how involved some of the steps there are? Like, how do you acquire 150 elder gems? How many Veteran Adventures are there?

Also, is it just me or are steps 6 and 8 the same thing?

e: well, that was handy.

Adventures were separate things, think of it like a choose your own adventure novel in dungeon form, and it gets better when you find out that certain choices in the tree for the adventures broke constantly, so often times each adventure had a strict path anyway because all the other branches would break and you'd have to start over.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't make good buying decisions, guys. :(

At least it was just 30 for hellgate, and hellgate was actually fun to play. The game didn't actively hate you for existing with every fiber of its being. That's the thing that really boggles my mind. Even in EQ the game didn't actively hate you. It was indifferent to you and your attempts to play it. If you wanted the put the time into it you would get an okay game out of it, for the time. Wildstar actively hated everything you tried to do. Want to fight mobs to level? All of them will wreck your poo poo if you missdodge a telegraph. Attunements? gently caress you go do like 900 things, half of which will probably break so roll the loving bones, rear end in a top hat.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 21, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Double Monocle posted:

Oh god

I was one of the first goons to hit max level in space jam. Please hold me as I cry.

Also vanilla wow talk- MC 40 was a deliberate middle finger to people who like vanilla while completely missing the point of why people like vanilla wow.

Blizzard upped MC 40 to max level in WoD without admitting anything had changed in 10 years.

You remember how you had 2-3 people on decurse duty due to really bad raid wide debuffs? Too bad, gently caress you, current wow has a 10 second cooldown on every healers dispells. Only healers get decurse. Hope you dont mind waiting out those 10 minute duration hilariously bad curses.

Oops we removed the visual effect from living bomb tee hee I hope you have the updated today DBM

Remember how you would bring multiple off tanks or have hunters kite big adds/boss adds? Raid finder only lets you have 2 tanks. There are 0 aggro abilities outside tank specs.

All those AoE packs you basically had to AoE down at the same time to kill? Like core hound packs? oooops we nerfed aoe dps a to poo poo dang is this pull taking 10 minutes?

Making it raid finder only was the worst offender. If you took a time machine to vanilla days and told a raider he would have to do MC with 39 random people he would shoot himself.

They went out of their way to make it as annoying as possible then smugly patted themselves on the back for proving how badwrong vanilla wow was.

Raid finder gave you 3 tanks, aoe dps was fine and you obviously didn't know any good ele shamans, 40 man guilds were so cliquey that it was basically "10 people you knew and liked and 30 people who existed but you never talked to," so same poo poo, and mages and druids of all specs still have remove curse on an 8 second cooldown.

If you're gonna be a lovely grognard at least be right, dude. I only played WoD for like 2 months and even I know all this poo poo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

it could be say, a gimmick that one raid boss utilizes, and it would be fine.

every single dungeon boss utilizing it that tediously is not fine

remember that, to make it even more retarded, classes would have multiple interrupts, but they'd have to slot them. Most of them were a DPS loss and some classes had no interrupts (I think medic but I'm not really sure) and some classes could have like 4 interrupts, so if you planned ahead you could have one person take care of interrupting certain mechanics by themselves at the cost of competely changing their build and gimping their dps. It's like they made the solution to the problem but then made it such a stupid loving solution it became worse than the original problem.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

wtfmoses posted:

I actually kind of liked the armor break mechanic as a dungeon mechanic because it did kind of reward you for coordination/rotation and I can see it being a useful learning tool for raids. I guess that is kind of a microcosm for wildstar: a few pretty good ideas slathered in layers upon layers of actual poo poo.

The real problem is that having an idea doesn't mean jack, no matter how good it is. Look at kickstarter games and early access on steam, plenty of them have neat ideas that are steaming loving piles because the devs have no idea what they're doing. The basic idea for interrupt armor is a middling to okay idea with a lot of basic problems, but every single part of the execution was lovely.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

One thing that made me quit before the real problems with this game hit me is the combat system. I liked the telegraphs, but the action combat just didn't feel very actiony to me. The enemies felt like they just chased me around all of the time and I was getting hit even though the arc of their weapon swings clearly did not touch me. I was expecting combat in this game to have actual hit boxes that were more precise as well as enemy AI which did more than just stick to me like glue like they do in WoW. I don't know if it gets better later in the game or not. I got bored too fast to find out.

People were telling me that later on the mobs swap to entirely being telegraphs with no unavoidable damage, but then the real question would be why the first mobs in the game aren't like that? Leveling in every single game is about teaching the player how to play the game, which they didn't do at all (how did you personally actually find out about the damage increase in interrupt armor? Because I'd bet money it wasn't from in game for 90% of people) and even more importantly it made the first half of the game really bad and leave a really bad first impression.

Schubalts posted:

How is it less hardcore if the game forces you to commit to your big attacks? How do their brains work?

The best part is those same people complained that they didn't like gw2 combat, which was essentially the same thing with less epileptic light shows, because it was too "floaty." "Floaty" is what you get when your animations have no weight, and that's what animation locking does. It's not just about turning it into an actual risk/reward game rather than a dps rotation. It lends a lot of weight to how it feels to play.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Actually now that I think about it, league of legends is super hardcore and there are no animation locks and everyone turns instantly so obviously we're all wrong, guys. Pack it in.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

B&S's version also looks infinitely better, because once something is stunned, it's vulnerable to everybody's grabs/grapples, such as hopping on its chest or choking it with an axe's shaft. So you interrupt the boss, then every member of the party has some way to pin it down even further (only one grab per stun, though), instead of just "boss takes more damage for X seconds."

If it's not a suplex it isn't worth using.

If it is, GOTY.

Also technically it's "the same thing" but if someone's need for HARDCORE makes them blind to the difference between doing x% more damage to something or suplexing something then their opinion is invalid.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Is a high kick into a midair leglock good enough?

But do you then somehow pivot in midair like it's fist of the north star and throw them into the ground like a doom train? I think the throwing someone into the ground part is the most important part.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

cammy14 posted:

This is all true but the basic idea remains "Congratulations! You're enough of a good player to made it into the instance portal. That's it, you can officially raid now, also here's something to skip all that bullshit next time" is a much nicer and friendlier attunement process than Wildstar.

Farming waterlords faction was also lovely but the idea was for your group to get decked in better gear from the lesser bosses before facing off against Ragnaros.

Everything in the attunement was showing you where you could go to get better gear in order to do the next step. In Wildstar every step is just meaningless. You don't get better gear from the world bosses or the dungeons or the adventures or anything that wasn't crafting, which means they either threw the attunement quest together to give themselves more time to finish the raids after release without giving any thought to making it more than just busywork (likely), or they can't do math and just didn't realize how much better crafted gear was compared to everything else (likely AND hilarious).

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I liked when people compared the wildstar attunement to BC's, and they neglected the fact that the attunement for BC was for every single raid in all of BC. Getting into karazhan took a guild group about an hour if two of you had epic flying to summon people to the next instance for the group stuff and then another half hour to hour for you to do, and getting into karazhan is the equivalent raid for what they put in wildstar. There was that giant infographic for BC that they liked to post to prove that wow had attunements that were just as bad and see they know what they're doing you just don't remember.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I kind of wish they did an attunement that didn't gate access to the content, but not doing the content made it more difficult. Think of it like choosing to either bring an item that cut a boss's aoe damage in half or choosing to be Men. I don't know how that would work out at all, but gently caress if you want to have this hardon for attunements at least play around with the idea or something.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

The coolest attunement was The Lurker Below.
Less cool but still kinda cool attunements are the guy who had an ability that just killed you unless you had an onyxia hide cloak (was it nef?)

I guess basically a boss can be esoteric and obscure as gently caress as long as only one person has to present the regal dragoncock statuette required to draw him forth.

The best part about lurker below was having 24 people sit around in position waiting and watching one guy fish.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

How do yall feel about the new backwards attunement system where you're able to do any raid at any time except the wall comes from humans who refuse to play with someone who can't link a legendary item created from within that dungeon?

Well, you can't stop regular people being lovely, but I can stop developers being lovely people with their game by not buying or playing it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair I've heard they made the attunement slightly easier. I think you just have to complete the dungeons now, rather than speedrun them, and they were always the only part of the chain that was actually difficult. And the boss of the raid drops an item that you can give to another player to instantly attune them. The real question is whether there will ever be another person who wants to get attuned to a Wildstar raid who isn't already.

Yeah, uh, the problem with attunements wasn't ever how hard or easy they were. It was that it was a bunch of terrible lovely busywork chores that didn't get you anything except access to content.

And unless they changed it that item only dropped from the last boss in the 40 man raid, so gfl getting one of those.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

croutonZA posted:

Also, NCSoft should've just localised B&S and saved themselves millions on this piece of poo poo game.

Eh, to be honest I probably would have done what they did if I knew what they did. NCSoft has been trying to get a successful western market game for awhile now, and whenever they brought their korean games to the western market they've never done well enough to justify it. B&S would have 100% done better in the western market than wildstar, but when they chose to go with this plan it was "do we localize our game and have it be yet another flop or do we fund this group of successful MMO developers to make a game for us that will be designed from the ground up for a western audience?" Remember that these devs could all put "worked on wow" on their resumes, and even if they were all canned or left because they thought the game sucked it's still got pull with people who don't understand the western market all that well.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The thing is that NCSoft knew from the start that B&S wasn't your typical korean MMO.

You're 100% right, it's not the typical kmmo, and you're 100% right that it would probably have done at least as well as TERA, probably better, but I can just understand why they'd be hesitant to do that when they'd been burned on the western market so many times before, and funding a game made by ex wow devs isn't generally thought to be such a bad idea. Or, at least, it wasn't until Wildstar.

I don't really think anyone could have told you the game would be poo poo terrible until maybe closed beta, and that isn't enough time to make the game better. At that point you're better off launching the game, hoping you make enough to cover the costs, and then shutting it down when it's all said and done. I'm still amazed the game hasn't been turned off by NCSoft.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Really, all NCsoft would have to do is not change any systems to be worse somehow.

I don't think I'd go that far. You're right that the mmo is much less offensive to western audience sensibilities in terms of systems, but the art style is pretty out there. I could stomach TERA and even the elin poo poo, but THIGHS THIGHS THIGHS was a little too much even for me when I tried it out. That's not gonna help its case in a western release. It'd do okay, but I don't think it'd ever go beyond a market share about the same as TERA's, especially with stuff like black desert on the horizon.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

Isn't B&S the game where the character designer is a famous hentai artist?

He might be, but everyone else who could have told him to do it again with less THIGHS still didn't.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I can't get around that art design, it's so loving ugly I just can't stand it period. The gameplay doesn't look especially fresh or fun either. Moonlight Blade though, someone tell me this game is coming out in English? :ohdear:

I can't wait for wushu 3.0.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anoia posted:

GW2 is getting an expansion, that's more than wildstar can ever hope for right now.

Plus people have actually seen their warplots wvwvw.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Itzena posted:

They basically brought it back with Ashran in Warlords of Draenor.

It's poo poo and everyone hates it.

Eh, ashran really isn't the same. There was always a massive queue for it and usually it was just one server stomping the poo poo out of the other one. Old AV was big enough that small gangs could actually make an impact, but ashran is just the one big fight. Is there even a point in doing the side stuff outside of needing dailies and picking up random items?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Belzac posted:

You see, because I can trade normal currency for the p2w currency that means it's not p2w.

Belzac'd

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

If it was p2w without an exchange, then how would you p2w in the first place?

EDIT: Is it just that you can buy currency off other players/sell it to them?

I wonder if you guys realize you all have the same definition of P2W as reddit, 4chan, and GAMEFAQs posters.

Just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Which guys? Doesn't it stand for Pay 2 Win? I'm pretty confused here.

"People are getting though the game faster by paying rl money, this is literally p2w"

If you're okay with experience boosters you should be okay with skyforge's monetization because they're basically the same thing.

• Locked thread