Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Do they still have that stupid randomized click-only on-screen keyboard for entering your 2FA code on *every* login? Even after I proved it could be trivially defeated with less than 6 hours of effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Byolante posted:

Its not so much a thing now because WoW has locked down the scripting so much but back in the good old days of discord action bars and cooperative healing you could easily kill your pc with your ui.

You can still lag your game pretty easily with WoW's UI; it's just that the intervening 10 years they've had a chance to make their UI APIs much more efficient, and computing horsepower has gotten 10 years' faster as well.

Wildstar, like everything else they did, apparently never bothered to put the finishing details on optimizing their UI addon APIs -- considering the raw game engine itself had a hard time keeping a reasonable framerate in places, it's no surprise that adding some Lua per-frame on top of that would make it even slower.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

for one thing it's so goddamn ugly it makes your eyes bleed

Wildstar has a lot of faults, but I can't really count its art style among them. I can understand it not being your cup of tea, but at least it has a consistent direction and they executed on it well, which is more than can be said for the rest of the game.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Thunderbro posted:

They meticulously reduced the numbers on all the gear in the entire game, and all health across every single enemy ever made, purely so they could lower DPS and buy a couple years' time to try and upgrade the integer format used to store boss health. Player health and healing is already back to the exact same levels they were at when they ran up against that 2 billion limit, player damage output is literally the only thing that's still lower. That's how bad their code is.

It's not quite so dire, since they also floated the idea of just going ahead and rejiggering things to allow numbers to continue to be large and grow, but they decided to squish instead because the human beings playing the game are able to handle smaller numbers better than large numbers (or "mega damage", as they portrayed it).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Those teeth aren't solely the fault of bad oral hygiene. She inherited some awfully unfortunate genes. They're out of place, not just poorly maintained.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Why the hell would they burn their media capital now, when F2P is still months away? Whoever is in charge of PR at Carbine should be dragged out into the street and shot; all of those potential players that they might have actually lured in thanks to the announcement headlines on the top of every gaming news source are going to have completely forgotten about the game when it finally actually is F2P, and good loving luck getting those headlines again with what will be old news by then.

Don't. Announce. Until. It's. Ready.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ahahhahaa

Have they done a single holiday successfully yet?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Nemo2342 posted:

Oh man, Fallen Age. I remember Beta testing that, and still have a t-shirt somewhere I got from when it flopped. Mostly all I recall about it now though is that it ran like poo poo on my PC, and some of the early enemies looked like slugs.

The shirts were the best thing to come out of it. I've still got like ten of them. Not sure what I did with the surplus keychains though, I had like hundreds of them. I ended up with everything that was left over of both after we sent them out to the testers.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 8, 2015

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey Lowtax has kids to feed.

I think.

Several ex-wives to pay alimony to.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

What's almost as hilarious, if you read that thread, is that Carbine suggested reinstalling your client because they believed a client side file was responsible for breaking your character on the server beyond repair. It wasn't just the standard first tier support suggestion of the "unplug it and plug it back in" variety -- it was a suggestion that came from their top developers.

Their systems are basically a matryoshka doll of poo poo. Just when you think it can't get any more horrible, you get a deeper look inside and are treated to yet another disaster.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

If you see this screen at character creation and you keep going past this point, you kind of deserve what you get.

"Should we light up the characters so they can actually be seen?"

"Nah."

It's like they shot the thing in someone's basement.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Morglon posted:

The impact it had on WoW subscription numbers :colbert:

Wildstar comes out, WoW loses 5 million subscribers. The game was so bad it literally turned people off the genre entirely.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Deki posted:

Nope, they want Legion out early 2016. If you think WoD was rushed and poo poo, wait until you play the expansion that's getting half the dev time and twice the announced features.

I don't know how anyone can be excited for Legion, personally, for those exact reasons. Legion is going to be a disappointing shitshow of an expansion even more thin on content than WoD, and I think Blizzard is in full-on "milk it for everything while you still can" mode and will try to sell it at full price, even after just burning their playerbase with a half-assed expansion at greater-than-full price.

ObOnTopic: But it will still be better than Wildstar.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pierson posted:

Also there's a WAR private server? :O

Apparently, but I tried to log into it yesterday and it wouldn't connect and the suggestions on their forums are to install and use their provided VPN software and keep connecting through different hosts until it works (and also it won't work next time so you'll have to go through all that nonsense again); so something is seriously brain dead about their setup.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Eimi posted:

I've been able to log in to it just using their own launcher, though you have to change the settings of the files in your WAR folder from read only, for some reason.

That's an entirely different issue (which I can't believe they don't just fix considering it's their #1 issue if their forums are any indication -- it's literally one line of code). I can start the game client but after it loads the character select screen it fails with a login timeout error. Firewall exceptions and manually opening ports doesn't fix the problem, and I'm sure as hell not going to install sketchy VPN software.

A huge, simple issue going unfixed and completely fubar'd networking on their server end doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence that their server's going anywhere. Their real effort seems to be in just fleshing out the database, not in actually working on the emulator code.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Hy_C posted:

goons never stop giving lol

Let's not turn the thread into helldump.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
We should have started a betting pool to see who can guess how they're going to gently caress up the F2P launch, because we all know they're going to screw something up horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Cyron posted:

Who is caydiem? I assume she did something bad in wow.

She was a CM for wow and represented the Rogue class. Someone found out who her in-game character was and her armory showed she was using some crap weapon. Cue everyone collectively losing their poo poo about how she doesn't know how to rogue because obviously nobody ever equips weapons other than to min/max.

• Locked thread