Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

How is ESO now anyway? I assume as a matter of course they didn't get even close to the totally hosed-up and weird poo poo you can get up to in regular TES games but is there anything at all that distinguishes it from the pack of F/B2P MMOs?

It's pretty good. You can play the PVE as a co-op/single player TES game. In this regard it's pretty decent albeit slightly more linear than a regular TES game.

The PVP campaign is where this game really shines for me. It has an incredibly designed 3 way faction map that favours both zerg and small group fighting, tactics, etc. I've basically spent my entire time in here from lvl 10 through to 45 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

If you missed the "shut up, it's beta, it'll get better" phase of wildstar goons, check out the skyforge thread. It's about the same.

Umm, I'm not sure you're reading the same thread I am.

Xavier434 posted:

No way. The Skyforge thread is about 10x tamer than Wildstar beta was.

:q::hf::q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the example from 2006, also laughing if you think that special game optimization is unique to AMD.

Still, also laughing at how bad Wildstar is. The trainwreck was incredibly evident even back during the betas.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Umm... pretty sure it was cupcakes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deki posted:

Yeah, not going to bother

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just when you thought Carbine couldn't possibly top their own stupidity/hubris they manage to do exactly that. :suspense:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dazh posted:

I came here expecting useful information about the game that came with my sweet Payday 2 masks, but what I found was so much better, thank you.

I think this is the first dead game I've come to play where there wasn't a bunch of goons still clinging to hope.

This thread is a vast, empty wasteland just like the game, and our souls.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"Dailies" are the worst thing in games right now, and only GW2 seems to get it right since you'll just incidentally finish them by playing the game the way you like.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

The problem with GW2 is they made an MMO and not a cool skill based multiplayer thing like GW1 was.

Huh? It's plenty skill based if you're hardcore enough for it :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

skills as in you could make a build specifically to destroy FotM builds instantly in the cool multiplayer PvP Turtle Game.

You could and you can right now even more because there is no meta at the moment. Mind you I'm not a big fan of sPVP in GW2 but they do some things so incredibly well that I put up with the some bland aspects of it. The biggest thing being the equal footing everyone is on. Gear/Level/Grinding don't matter, which makes it quite a lot more skill based than the majority of popular MMOs out there.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

Or if you don't like anime pedobait you could wait for Skyforge, the closed beta seems pretty cool so far.

Skyforge is like a bland piece of cardboard sprinkled with cardboard dust that's been thrown into an oven. MmmM Good.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Baby Goku posted:

Send me money instead of playing this

Eye of Widesauron posted:

That but also play Metroid instead

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

down with slavery posted:

How many people still work at Carbine?

No one. The hubris of that company imploded into an AI singularity which now runs everything.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

You should go ahead and just buy the maximum amount of subscribed time, this game is definitely for you.

:getin:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Vanguard had really good crafted gear :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

well it's the least bad mmo atm.

This is the only metric for MMOs. A logarithmic scale of badness.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

How much do they have? If they capped the level at 20 it would probably be pretty fun. (My hazy WAR memories involve 1-29~ pvp owning then 30-40 pvp sucking horribly)

It was capped at 20 until very recently. Just expanded to 26. It's a very well down server. Enough to let you reminiscence on glory days past.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The funniest thing about WAR was that both sides complained that their mirror was mega OP, except for Engis <-> Magus'.

You know what was really OP? Repeatedly wiping warbands with the Rat Engineers deathaball with 400% AAO netting you >1M RP/hour :D. At least I tihnk it was the Rat Engineer, might have been the warlock thing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah but that's a tacked on solution. That's not making non-leveled system, it's not using the leveled system you made. A proper non-leveled system is something that is built from the ground up, not something flicked off with a switch when you enter PvP. I wouldn't participate in it either.

So you'd prefer your PVP to be gear, or some progression metric based thing vs. everyone being on an equal playing field? Interesting :q:

This is one of the things that GW2 got VERY right. There's 0 bullshit grind to get into PVP. You make a character and can get right into PVP. The thing they got very wrong is not having a few different types of game modes. I'm not really sure what's holding them back.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hit button posted:

I'd view it as a necessary evil if the game is focused on persistent characters which increase in power through gameplay. If you remove that progression you're left with an entirely different kind of game.

I can appreciate that you prefer pvp where all parties are equal in power, but power progression is the entire hook of the MMO genre, and people find it compelling.

The problem can be mitigated if pvp is asymmetric in ways other than character progression - e.g. not necessarily having equal numbers on both sides. That seems a better way of solving the problem in power progression games, rather than simply saying "power progression games shouldn't exist / shouldn't have pvp".

Power progression in PVP is bad, end of story. Like you mentioned, having an alternative progression stream is great, but please don't gently caress over balance because babies want numbers to go up. Go play PVE for that :clint:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hit button posted:

If you mean "I do not like this thing", that's a totally valid and understandable point of view.

If you mean "This type of game which many people enjoy is inherently objectively bad" then I can't take that seriously.

Asymmetry can be an interesting factor in competitive games, and power progression games are a natural way of exploring those possibilities.

PVP between perfectly balanced parties is cool and good, but I don't see why you'd advocate for it in games where the motivation loop is based on power progression. There are plenty of pvp games which do not depend on power progression to provide that kind of experience. Why make the PVP element of an MMO into an entirely separate progression-less MOBA-like experience, when you can just play MOBAs instead?

Your argument is flawed for simple reason. Time. The power progression in a MOBA happens over the course of a match and not weeks/months. I'm okay with that. What I'm not OK with is when someone's gear, or power progression allows them to arbitrarily win (this tends to happen in a lot of MMOs). The only thing that time spent should do is make you a better player.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I've played smite with you, I know you don't believe this entirely

Yeah MOBAs are a different beast though. The gear in that are more akin to Perks, or Talent trees , or what not.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Just want to point out that big swings in momentum are a core aspect of mobas, and gaining an advantage is only half of the battle. Maintaining it without losing your lead through being too passive or too aggressive is a real thing that balances that aspect of the game out. Like, this problem is why the bounty system exists, and why team fights later on can make such an impact, and why most of your power is actually coming out of the map rather than kills.

Or you can be a complete bad and still win, like we did :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KaneTW posted:

it's absolutely not OK to gently caress children irl but as long it's not real do whatever you want

Please Kill Yourself if you actually believe that later part of what you wrote. :tipshat:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KaneTW posted:

Sure, if you can convince me it'd be better for me to do so.

Do the selfless thing for the rest of us :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Double Monocle posted:

mmo poster, anime avater, pedo.

yep checks out boss.

Bingo!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

You wouldn't be posting.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hrrm, yes, please tell me more. Maybe post some of your favourite lolis or something.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I can't imagine people are going to play this for more than a few weeks with GW2's expansion around the corner.

While you might be overestimating GW2 market share, I do agree with people not playing Wildstar after a few weeks:

Especially once they realize how bad of a game it is.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That's tonight? Know what I'm doing after I get my practice hours in tonight :allears:

Playing SMITE ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Commissar Budgie posted:

Did somebody say Worst Character?

:holymoley:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ahhhh, I love the smell of fresh F2P MMO in the morning. It smells like, disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shockeh posted:

Question still stands: Any decision on goon presence, Faction/Server?

No one is going to seriously play this loving broken, terrible game. Even gonns don't want to play. HTH. Just roll whatever looks cool, play for however many days it takes for self loathing and ADHD to set in and then move onto the next MMO.

• Locked thread