Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Double Monocle posted:

Its almost like video games are this weird market were quality of product has nothing to do with profit so companies constantly poo poo out games to make a quick buck.

I don't think anyone looking to make a quick buck is in the MMO business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Much of that's personal preference though, there are plenty of people that absolutely do want to trivialize old content once they've leveled past it. Not all of the things you've mentioned are must-have modern MMO features.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah this is as tame as f2p systems get.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm legit excited about f2p because I miss my house.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The Shortest Path posted:

Wildstar standard edition and 30 days of gametime are in the current humble bundle, which means you can get it for a cent.

Way to make the inevitable upcoming F2P transition obvious, guys.

Well they announced it a month ago so...

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's better if it can cut down on one piece of loot being greatly desired by a lot of different classes, but WS only has like 5 classes split among 3 armor weights AND weapons are only usable by their specific class so...

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If it's called +Crit Severity, why not just put +Crit Severity on the gear? What is this, some WoW MMO for babbies? +Crit Severity will be called Moxie, STR, DEX, Anger Management, Arugula, and Timmy Horton's depending on what alt you are playing. We don't want anyone figuring out gear unless they've put the work into it!

Because the stats didn't do the same thing for every class. They made it so Moxie was +Crit Severity for class A and +Mana for class B.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Eeyo posted:

My favorite part of this is the countdown timer going negative at the very beginning. What the hell is this, amateur hour?

That's actually desired behavior for castbars in MMOs, it allows you to track latency while casting.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Pierson posted:

Outside of Other M I can't think of a single Metroid game that wasn't great at-minimum and usually fantastic and it's like one of Nintendo's most beloved franchises in the west so why the gently caress does it get treated like so much trash.

Metroid games sell about 9 copies on average in Japan.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

More likely the Russians have had your password information for years and your character was used for botting.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

The stunbreak thing was like like hold W, nothing complicated.

You still used a mod if you were smart since that was always faster than your stupid human brain.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

lethargical posted:

There was so much inward hype for this game before the release and living in Australia made me worried lag would create an unplayable enviornment. I was not wrong and firmly believe if Oceanic servers had been made available a good sum of players would still be with the game.

What? Everybody in all the other countries quit, why would Australians be dumb enough to stick around in large numbers just because their ping to a bad game was lower?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Bombogenesis posted:

It is EXACTLY ONE HUNDRED QUESTS that take roughly ten to fifteen hours, assuming decent but not amazing luck with the group finder. Like I really like FFXIV but forcing people to do so many quests to access the expansion and do current relevant content is dumb.

Also note that almost none of those quests contain anything fun. 80+% are just traveling to a zone to talk to an npc who tells you to travel to another zone.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Because walking around and talking to NPCs is really loving boring. All of it could take place in a 10 minute cutscene.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Here you go: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/quest/?category2=1

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Harrow posted:

It helps to remember that, so far, Guild Wars 2 has only reinforced those things. ... A group that knows what they're doing can beat most dungeon paths in less than 15 minutes, and the few that can't be beaten that quickly are largely hated by the more casual players (most Arah paths, Twilight Arbor's Aetherpath).

Basically, most things on your list are how the game already works.

You just completely contradicted yourself though. Most of the dungeons in GW2 are really hard due to a combination of awful design and the lack of a trinity mechanic that allows a decent tank/healer to carry 2-3 actually bad players, and so the vast majority of the player base completely ignores them. GW2 dungeons certainly aren't the super easy + fast content that the post you quoted is talking about.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

quote:

I would rather they focus on new DUNGEONs and new raid tiers, because I think new dungeons are far more important than casual raiding as well, its the best content to do with friends

This part is true!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Making tons of new abilities that change the way your character plays all the time is way way harder than rewarding you with a Sword of +1 Crit. Also lots of new abilities all the time completely alienate all the players who don't like researching like the people who posted earlier on the page.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Esper got really fun for me once they allowed you to move while casting that spell that shot the blue swords/knives at your target. That was just about the week that everyone quit and there was nothing left to do though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Guys a WS dev just contacted me, Carbine is aware of server queues and is starting a new server for Goons. He promises it won't be empty 3 weeks after F2P launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

Wasn't Wildstar the MMO where the devs convinced the head of the goon guild to form the guild on a specific server and then that one turned out to be dead as poo poo even at launch?

Couldn't be!

• Locked thread