Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Archonex posted:

Even the leveling game isn't that fun.

It's like WoW's old leveling game. Except it's dreadful as gently caress since it takes so long to level. Plus, the game world is stupidly deadly for everything except balls to the walls DPS classes. Either you're terrified of more than one mob aggroing you at once or you're a ridiculous kiting murder machine. And sometimes that doesn't even hold up since the zones are sprinkled with what are basically elite mobs that will loving end you in a straight fight without a lot of acrobatics.

Leveling in Wildstar was weird because instead of steadily getting slower it slowed down in the middle then sped way up for the last ten levels. Did they ever figure out an endgame for non-hardcores besides Burning Crusade style daily quests?

So much of the "hardcore" stuff in that game was really just anti-player (loving rune slots!), although maybe there's not a whole lot of difference with MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not surprising that a game that literally insulted its players for dieing to its impossible content is going down. I'm just surprised it took this long.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bauxite posted:

The WS devs didn't understand the importance of having leveling mobs not being assholes. Downtime from the AWESOME fights is actually a really important thing, just like the pacing in a good suspense novel has downtimes where the characters aren't in immediate danger of getting their assholes ripped open.

I remember there were some random deer in the snowy zone you had to kill for a quest that would absolutely annihilate you if you weren't 100% on point (at least with certain characters or builds). I saw something like 20 people complain about them across 5 different forums. I posted a thread on the official forums that amounted to "you should maybe tone down these deer because they are literally causing people to unsubscribe" and got the predictable official forums response.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that the performance got worse and worse with every patch until doing some boss fights was more or less impossible. That and my first month was up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wtfmoses posted:

I remember about a week or two after the release this "guide" was released for attunement to the raids. This honestly killed I think 85% of the player base who even CONSIDERED that they might want to raid. Here it is for you to look at

The world bosses were perpetually bugged and contested by the opposing faction. Because hardcore.

I liked that one fire elemental boss you had to fight for the attunement quest. The fight was a fairly easy "don't stand in the fire" fight that you could solo in around 2 minutes. Except it was bugged so that things like Engineers (the pet class, also the most popular) using pets would cause it to spawn 3 times the fire to avoid, which was more or less impossible. Some people seemed to think it was a gear check, some people thought it was just really loving hard and that if they tried a little harder they'd finally get it. So at any given point there would be a group of ten people attempting and wiping on it repeatedly. It was impossible to convince all of them that it was just bugged and to turn off their offending skills. I finally beat it by trying at 5am on a Tuesday when there were only 2 other people there who I was able to convince to join my party and just let me solo it.

Did the Horde goon guild ever set foot into a raid? I'm pretty sure Space Jam did not.

Bauxite posted:

Adventures were separate things, think of it like a choose your own adventure novel in dungeon form, and it gets better when you find out that certain choices in the tree for the adventures broke constantly, so often times each adventure had a strict path anyway because all the other branches would break and you'd have to start over.

Not to mention the different paths had massive difficulty disparities. The way they distributed loot made a run that didn't get a gold medal more or less worthless so everyone just stuck to the easiest path every single time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Itzena posted:

Ah, Hellgate London. A multiplayer game made by a dev team full of ex-Blizzard employees who decided that they wanted to make something for hardcore gamers.
It's almost like there's a pattern there.

There was actually a fun game in there somewhere beneath the bugs, mismanagement and dumb pricing structure, at least.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

Also, on the shameful and expensive lessons topic

This taught me that when a dev says the launch patch will fix X they are lying. It also taught me never to buy a game with a lifetime sub option.

Did that game even last long enough to make the lifetime subscription cheaper than subscribing month to month? I know subscribers never really got anything of value, making that Penny Arcade hilariously inaccurate in retrospect.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

See my :goonsay: on page 4: they sharply disagreed with the direction Burning Crusade and beyond took and honestly thought their ideas about content design and progression were better. I wish I understood how they manage to avoid stepping out of their echo chamber for so long.

This is weird because WS felt way more like Burning Crusade than Vanilla WoW to me. Vanilla tried to be a living breathing world, like previous MMOs, to some extent while BC just went full themepark. If anything Wildstar took this even further since it was pretty much just a linear path to max level.

There was nothing like Black Rock Depths in Wildstar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

sword_man.gif posted:

"day one miracle patch" was a thing firmly parroted around in the launch w* threads whenever anybody had the sheer gall to point out the numerous flaws the game had

It's sort of amazing how people will always say this about games with a lovely beta despite it never being true. Can anyone think of a game that actually did have a miracle day 1 patch?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tormented posted:

Where not until a couple of years ago you still had to do decades old raid content just to get the items needed to do current raids.

Seriously? Holy poo poo! :psyduck:

That said there's probably no one still playing Everquest who hasn't been at it for decades.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Almost like Blizzard learned from their mistakes and started to slowly correct them to make the game more palatable to non-poopsockers, unlike Wildstar

To be fair I've heard they made the attunement slightly easier. I think you just have to complete the dungeons now, rather than speedrun them, and they were always the only part of the chain that was actually difficult. And the boss of the raid drops an item that you can give to another player to instantly attune them. The real question is whether there will ever be another person who wants to get attuned to a Wildstar raid who isn't already.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bauxite posted:

Yeah, uh, the problem with attunements wasn't ever how hard or easy they were. It was that it was a bunch of terrible lovely busywork chores that didn't get you anything except access to content.

And unless they changed it that item only dropped from the last boss in the 40 man raid, so gfl getting one of those.

Well, the post I was quoting did say "slowly".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people? I mean sure, realistically they were talking out of their rear end and they were never, ever going to keep that up but I remember it being a big feature when they were promoting the game and a major justification for having a subscription in the first place. Usually people get batshit mad when companies go back on their promises like that.

Also, NCSoft should've just localised B&S and saved themselves millions on this piece of poo poo game.

Unless this was someone's first time following an MMO did anyone ever believe they were going to deliver on that? I think part of it was that the population had already plummeted before that happened.

e: man, Blade and Soul characters sure are shiny

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 25, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I hate to be the party pooper but Warplots have now been seen. Once, afaik.

I know some guilds coordinated a warplot seeing expedition, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened a handful of times. Apparantly they were nigh unplayable due to lag issues.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SarutosZero posted:

Can anyone who played wildstar say if any of the classes were at all interesting or unique or were they just more of the same wow classes but with a different flavor

I think class design (not balance) was one of the game's few strong points, actually. The only really lame one was Engineer, which also happened to be the most powerful and most popular class.

Imagine GW2 style combat except your class/party composition actually mattered.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RottenK posted:

it matters in gw2 too

usually not in the "have these classes/roles or you lose" way, but there's a lot of difference between a ragtag group of randoms and an organised team with good party composition

I guess I never played really high level GW2 (does such a thing exist outside of small scale PvP?) but for all the group content I did the classes didn't really matter as long as you could do damage and not die. It was like Diablo or Monster Hunter or etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

VoLaTiLe posted:

Wasn't archage the mmo with an active goon pedophile ring or something like that?

IIRC some goon got some teenage girl to move to Iceland to be his live-in fuckbuddy, and did this through another MMO guild. The Archage guild didn't want to kick him out because he was a master shipwright or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WarLocke posted:

No, the actual best system was in City of heroes where your looks didn't connect with your 'gear' at all and you could have any look you wanted straight from character creation. :colbert:

Weren't there costume components you had to unlock, like capes, sparklies and various doodads? Or am I thinking of champions.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

You forgot the best part of that video, one of the comments on it:

The implication that the gameplay shown by that video is appealing is pretty hilarious.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The real answer is "I'm going to make fun of pedophiles all I want because no one but morons is going to defend it." He's trying to add statistics or some stupid real world meaning to a highly emotionally charged slam dunk of an argument. Numbers don't matter, making fun of pedophiles does.

Making fun of pedophiles doesn't really matter either, tbh.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Hardcore warplots!

Is that where instead of the loser losing their warplot both participants lose their warplot?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

How do people make threads like these and think they're cool

Uh this thread is actually very cool?

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 16, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deki posted:

My point was more that CoX was nearly unplayable, I'd say definitely worse than Wildstar at launch. Neither of the two people that I knew that had it at launch managed to even get past character creation due to client/server issues. And yet it became beloved to it's small niche community.

I played CoH at launch and don't know what you're talking about. It had its issues but it was far from "nearly unplayable". At the time I remember most people were commenting about ti being the best MMO launch they'd ever seen. Of course standards were lower at the time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WarLocke posted:

More MMOs should just drop pvp altogether. It's more than obvious by now that only an teeny tiny fraction of (MMO) players are into it, and the 'open-world pvp' canard is just a dog-whistle for ganking.

Hell, there have been a couple MMOs devoted to these people and they've all crashed and burned. Shadowbane is probably the most infamous.

This, along with the revolutionary idea of NOT splitting your player base in half is another thing FFXIV got right.

quote:

edit: Wildstar's pvp stuff never popped for me. :v:

For the brief period of time I played Wildstar PvP the, uh, Empire was way ahead of the Exiles. For the first week or so this meant they mercilessly destroyed the Exile in every match, and then after that it meant 6/10 of them were botting and got destroyed every time.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 18, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The most egregious thing about the Elin was that 80% of their outfits had skirts so short they didn't even cover their crotches. The company running the American version of the game did an hilariously half assed fix and made it so instead of pinku pantsu all of the Elin wore these weird fur diaper looking things they called "shorties".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deki posted:

TimeTravel almost certainly won't be able to find a job in the games industry after this unless assistant manager at a gamestop counts.

Not really, the game industry cares a lot more about experience than a history of failure, for whatever reason.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't see myself coming back to this game. It just sort of reminded me how lovely full up MMORPGs are. There are plenty of games with an MMO aspect but also non-poo poo gameplay.

Flesh Forge posted:

This is standard girl presentation in just about every video game I've ever seen except vanilla Everquest, in which you could be a great big fat woman with blue eye shadow and rouged cheeks. Absolutely nothing else was good about that game but in the "Can I Be A Fat Ugly Woman" category it will forever reign supreme

Yeah, female non-humans in these kinds of game almost always just look like human woman with green skin or hooves or some other doodad that marks that they're actually an orc.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 29, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

+1 for guild wars 2 making female catpeople not look like women with cat ears.

The whole thing actually works to the advantage to the women of, uh, that giant race in FXIV. The women look super bad rear end while the men are basically a race of anime Shreks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

Let's talk about Base Pop.

Needed a way to distinguish raid bosses from regular raid mobs because all enemies in Wildstar are trash.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I stopped playing the game shortly after the release of the villains expansion, but the thing I disliked about it was that the main reason to play was making a ton of cool alts, but the exp grind was slow as hell. Did they ever improve that?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

Eh...not really. Not for the people who were not involved making the important decisions at least. It is pretty common knowledge in the software development industry that the programmers are often not to blame for design decisions or failures based on those decisions. Now, the upper management? Yeah, those people have black marks on their resumes now.

Pretty sure you have to be a Dennis Dyack level fuckup to actually get blacklisted.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

[*] Vistas, exploration points, interesting zone design, rewards for fully completing a zone encourage players to explore zones vs. WoD's endgame of sitting in your garrison all day and Blizzard having to hamfist reasons for players to actually leave their garrison and do world PVE content (flying pre-reqs in 6.2)
[/list]

Wildstar actually does have this with paths, particularly explorer. GW2's implementation is better, though. Or maybe the implementation is similar and the game is just better...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

IIRC the way stats worked is you just wanted to max assault if you were DPS and support if you were a tank or healer, so all the dumb names were just a weird way of masking the exact same system every other MMO uses where you have one prime stat that you stack.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stormgale posted:

See in theory this is a good idea as by making stats do different things you can make gear viable equally for multiple classes, you give your healers healing and mana and your DPS bigger crits and damage... In theory.

All healing classes were also DPS classes though, as were all tank classes. So you still had separate pieces of gear for each role.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Did hybrid tax exist in wildstar anyways?

Who am I kidding, of course it did.

Less "hybrid tax" and more "all of the itemization was all over the place, who knows what they were thinking".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Unguided posted:

It might be fun to goonrush the game and annoy everyone in the main town until we get banned.

That actually doesn't sound fun at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

It was also supposed to be super crafting-intensive, according to the Kotaku post about it: http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Overwatch looks hecka fun and I'm glad it doesn't have any MMO mechanics because it looks like a real cool shooter

So basically Firefall? Sounds like we dodged a bullet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

"Gamecube GOTY 2008, all ages category" -Gamespy

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

Age of Conan was loving amazing. For the first 20 levels.

I remember when the game was released the majority of stats on armor did literally nothing, hp being the big exception. Also, someone crunched the number and it turned out female characters were objectively worse than male characters because their attack animations and thus their attack speed were slower.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pulsarcat posted:

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Wildstar actually have reasonably strong initial sales, only to have their subscriber numbers absolutely plummet within a month or two?
Which would mean the bunnies and Chua did a fine job selling this game, it's just that the game kinda sucks.

I thought the Chua models/animations were pretty good, but the broken English and "science for teh win!!!11" theme was incredibly annoying.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did they ever end up changing rune slots? When I played they were basically like gem slots in WoW (or at least how I remember them from TBC) with one major exception. The type and number of slots you got were random. So if you finally got some 10% drop but it only had one rune slot instead of three it was worthless. Or if you got a drop that had 3 rune slots that weren't useful for your class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628234799535165442

Micah Whipple is former Blizzard CM Bashiok. Discuss.

lol, "Whipple"

• Locked thread