Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those look very nice imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I had to factory reset my ZW3 and the loving thing is stuck on fahrenheit for temperatures. I've set it to celsius in the Android Wear app, Zenwatch Manager app, and the watch face app. What the gently caress?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

In what sense is it stuck? Where exactly are you seeing Fahrenheit temperatures? Android doesn't have a system -wide settings for for temperature units so it's basically down to the specific app to decide.

I'm seeing it on the watch face

I have set it to celsius

This is only a problem after I reset the watch, it worked fine prior

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm seeing it on the watch face

I have set it to celsius

This is only a problem after I reset the watch, it worked fine prior

If anyone cares, I found the fix for this. It was because after the factory reset of my Pixel, the device language was solely set to English (US). This actually overrides the temperature unit setting in Android Wear. I changed it to English (Canada) (or UK would work too) and it immediately updated to Celsius.

In short, gently caress your dumb country and your dumb backwater measurement systems

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Woooooo :unsmith:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/16/android-wear-2-0-now-rolling-zenwatch-3/

Awwwww :smith:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/05/15/asus-reportedly-done-android-wear-zenwatch-line/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Is anyone using Wear and Authenticator+? Since the update on the 29th it just closes immediately on my watch.

Yup, and yes it crashes immediately for me on my watch too. Asus ZW3.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would comment on 2.0 but Asus has yet again delayed it for the ZW3 so I'm still waiting

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've seen my friend easily and regularly use Apple Pay on his Apple Watch, I mean, come on Google, just....copy that? Please? It's not hard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The button's on the wrong side, wtf

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Deviant.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just got Android Wear 2.0 on my ZW3 and I'm having a few very confusing moments so far:

-Do Not Disturb no longer affects my phone, did they really separate it? So if I'm in a meeting for example, I have to toggle both devices separately?
-Double-push the power button no longer puts it into theatre mode, is that just a changed setting? I don't get why that would be removed
-Swipe left/right from the edge now seems to bring up watch faces, instead of tap and hold....this is incredibly annoying and I've accidentally changed watch faces a couple times now, can this be changed?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Welcome to the lovely new world.

Is there actually nothing I can do about those things because what the loving gently caress, how do I downgrade

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This mindblowingly bad and stupid. Like, this is a step back in literally every single possible way. Why, like, loving why would they remove these things, I don't remotely comprehend. There's no possible argument for removing those things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh what the gently caress, did they remove notification peeking as well?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Did you not read my rant when I got it?

You're right though, it's so terrible in so many ways that it's legitimately amazing that it got out the door. You expect this kind of software from Microsoft where every group is in constant warfare with each other and sabotaging any group's project you can is incentivized behavior. Wear 2.0 isn't like that at all though, there are no good ideas and no good execution anywhere. It was bad at its conception.

Hah, I missed your post. Seriously, it's so bad, there's nothing redeemable or good about this. I tried googling some of these issues and there's assholes on reddit actually defending this trash, and smugly telling complaining users "it's really good actually"

I'm going to try to figure out how to go back to 1.5 on my ZW3, hmmmm

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having no luck finding a way to flash a downgrade to 1.5 on my ZW3 :( 2.0 is genuinely one of the worst OSes I've ever used, this is horrible.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Of course you are, they dumbed the whole thing down apparently so it would work better with iOS, consequently it's a loving awful experience for Android users coming from 1.5.

(I apologize for being a little mean but this is to the point of making me not want an AW smartwatch again, good job Google)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I think I just jumped ship - AW watches were just a bit too small for me. :/

Holy gently caress that's big

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On top of that, my battery life with 2.0 on my ZW3 is awful. I'm almost done with this watch, not even going to get another Android watch. Good job Google.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Oh yeah, my life is about half of what it was on 1.5. I used to finish the day, every day, at 70%+. Now I'm lucky to see 40%. I figured that was just par for the course.

Yeah, my ZW3 is either at <25% or dead at the end of a normal day now, where I used to finish at 50-60%. This is honestly hilarious how bad it is, literally nothing about it is good. I'm still hunting for a way to go back to 1.5 on the ZW3, so if any of you spot anything let me know. If I can't do that I think it's time to stop using this now-worthless device until it either improves or I give up on smartwatches entirely.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm the same with the ZW3, I really like the way it looks and up until now, it's been pretty useful and handy to have. If it's to the point now though, of not even being able to make it through a day without the battery dying, it's completely worthless :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, I can't stand iOS and the Apple Watch looks like total garbage so that's definitely out, I'm seeing the end of smartwatches (for me, for now) as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would totally get a Gear S3 but my primary phone isn't a Samsung (as you all know) and I've read it doesn't play nice with non-Samaung apps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Hi guys, I said this in the thread months ago but Yall should of got gear s3's. Smdh

I don't use any apps though other than running apps so I guess it's good for me. Pairs well with the pixel as well. Looks nice and has mega battery life and a beautiful non flat tire screen.

Also turning instead of swiping is baller as gently caress.

The main watch apps I use are Authenticator+, Shazam, and I guess Google Now/Assistant. And I view/interact with notifications from various apps. I'm not sure all this is doable on the Gear S3 so I'm avoiding it for now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Are you still getting decent battery life? I flashed back to 1.5 because 2.0 barely made it 12 hours.

I've been asking about this but nothing yet, can you link to how to flash back to 1.5?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those look nice

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's not just you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I see way more Samsung Gear smartwatches in the wild than I do Android Wear, to be fair

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

G-Prime posted:

You also see way more Samsung phones than any other manufacturer. Ubiquity doesn't necessarily imply quality, though. I'd attribute the large number of Gear watches to people thinking that having two devices by the same manufacturer means better inter-op, rather than specifically seeking out the watches because of some feature they provide or do better than the alternatives.

No, but while we can neckbeard and sperg about it as much as we want, Samsung will continue to dominate the market.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those look nice

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My zenwatch 3 died. Like, was charged and working on my wrist, I toggled theatre mode for something, then it never came back on. Nothing happens on the charger, any button, nothing. Didn't even last a year. Think I'm done with smartwatches for now :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Does anything work right on the fanboy phone?

Literally every phone has problems and if you disagree you're an actual idiot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Preaching to the choir brother. I loving hate phones. I just find it funny how the Pixel (and everything else officially Google) is praised but every day I read about some other major problem with the Pixel 2. I wish they'd just release the Nexus 4 again with a great camera. Everything about that phone, especially design wise was perfect.

Lol I had a Pixel and Pixel XL and trust me, they really had their problems. People praise them for the same reason we praise the new Pixel: It's a fast, smooth, polished, ideal Android experience. Even with the 2XL screen issues, it's still a superb phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I flashed my zw3 and revived it, so I'm back on this dead technology train

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Hmmmm.... My zenwatch 3 got updated to wear os. I thought it was abandoned. Also, I recently found out why the battery life was so terrible when I initially updated to aw2. Your watch face makes a huge difference in battery life. I'm back to 40% drop about every 12 hours which was my aw1.5 levels. Its still janky as hell but the battery life is decent again. . If you stopped wearing the zenwatch, give it another shot.

You might have convinced me to try mine again, the battery drain was one of the killing factors for me.

Are Android Wear watches still on the SD2100? Is there any point in getting a new one?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Someone from LG is spying on my posts in this thread.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/27/report-lg-watch-timepiece/

I also wonder if this is happening with Google's blessing and showing a direction change in wear.

I'm actually super super interested in this

Also :lol:

quote:

Snapdragon 2100

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

azurite posted:

Garmin Vivoactive 3

I definitely have my eye on this!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It looks like such trash.

Get a Garmin Vivoactive like me, leave Android Wear behind and never look back. It's a good move.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skeezy posted:

That's the main thing I like about the Versa but how's the Garmin on day to day?

The fitness stuff isn't my main thing, I mostly just want notifications with some reply actions. I had the AW but really didn't like the overload of notifications with it, the Pebble Time I have still works (but it's all scratched up) and that has less "notification bloat" I guess.

I suppose I'm looking for something in between??

Fitness stuff is the focus of Garmin for sure, but as far as being a smartwatch it's equivalent or better than my old Pebble Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A Pixel watch with a new SoC and battery life that's easily a full day aka nothing like my Zenwatch 3...I'd go back to Android Wear for that.