Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm planning on getting the 4 once the Flip 3 gets here and I can activate that pre order bonus in the Samsung store.

How useful is the LTE? I was leaning against it until these most recent posts. If it means I can ditch the phone while running/walking and be able to respond to messages on say Whatsapp, I'm quite interested. Ditto Spotify streaming without the phone.

I'm using Google Fi, are there any limitations there? In terms of the watches eSIM being supported by Fi, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

My Aug 15th Fold 3 pre-order from Google Fi is supposed to finally get here this week - I dawdled for a couple days to check reviews before ordering and that dragged it out by a month and a week on delivery.

Will that Samsung Store pre-order $150 bonus still apply? It better!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

My Aug 15th Fold 3 pre-order from Google Fi is supposed to finally get here this week - I dawdled for a couple days to check reviews before ordering and that dragged it out by a month and a week on delivery.

Will that Samsung Store pre-order $150 bonus still apply? It better!

The answer to this is that you can apply for the Samsung Store pre-order bonus on a Z Fold/Flip pre-order bought between Aug 11th and 30th up up until Sep 26th. FYI if you are waiting on checking on that bonus.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How do you reinstall the Galaxy Store on the Watch 4? I think I deleted it by mistake when cleaning up the pre-installed apps. Don't see a way to get it back on.

Want to enable that nifty BP monitoring ^^^. The BP app only seems available through the Galaxy Store on the watch.

E: The Galaxy Store app is still installed, wasn't deleted though I probably asked it to be - but there's no longer an icon for it so I can't open. Lovely.

It's installed because I can go through settings and get it to check for updates, but it doesn't let me do anything else in that view. Also shows up in Permissions where I can tweak its access rights. Just no icon to launch with.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas, else it's time to lookup how to do a factory reset I guess.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 7, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This link on setting up BP monitoring says I have to install the app on the watch using the Galaxy Store: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/measure-bp-on-samsung-watch/ ("On your compatible Samsung watch launch the Galaxy store icon Galaxy Store")

I deleted a bunch of unwanted apps on the Watch and I don't recall but I may have deleted that icon in the process.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ah, thanks for confirming that. The Tizen-specific info is confusing when searching around for this stuff.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Finally calibrated the blood pressure monitoring on my watch 4 classic, which requires three tests with a real blood pressure monitor, and the watch readings are now bang on with my absurdly expensive real BP monitor. Pretty impressive and maybe the first thing that could "trap" me with Samsung rather than freely moving around between Android phones.

I assume you did this without installing the BP Lab 2.0 app on the Watch 4 Classic? Will dig into this more tonight.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Turns out the country and other restrictions on BP and ECG measurements in Wear OS on the Galaxy Watch 4 and Classic can be removed through the sideloads here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...r-2021.4322527/

Also discussed above on this very same page.

Happy with the watch hardware so far. The 46mm initially felt very large and a bit heavy but feels pretty good now a day and a half in. Screen is great and it's snappy so far.

As someone who hasn't used any watch for a couple decades, I'm surprised at how soon I got to not noticing it's on my wrist.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm in the US and hadn't realized the BP monitor was blocked here. That Tizen page then confused the heck out of me.

I'll do those sideloads soon. Sounds pretty safe.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I have a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic I'm pretty happy with, I even use the rotary dial. What should I do with $200 of Samsung store credit? The 5 seems like a side grade other than the Pro with the big battery, but I don't want to spend $150 actual money on it just to use that $200 when I'm happy with the 4.

Are there any good chargers? The reviews of the ones I do find don't seem great, but if there's a nice wireless charger, it'd be a good way to use that credit.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Just switched to this too. The UI is fantastic and that it has a phone app that can sync additional info is cool.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The weight may be the biggest difference you'll feel between the Watch 4 44mm and the Watch 6 Classic 47mm. 30.3g -> 59g as the stainless steel is quite a bit heavier. I'm running the Watch 4 Classic 46mm which weights 52g and don't find it too heavy at all, so it's not like 59g is going to be too heavy in itself, just that it's a bigger difference than the size.

Just did the trade in upgrade to the Watch 6 Classic and don't really know why I did, it's not very different overall. The 4 Classic is worth $200 trade in, but the remaining $229 difference isn't a bargain for what is a remarkably similar device. They upgraded the sensor package for the 5 series and it's supposed to sit flusher with the wrist, that's about the single biggest upgrade.

I see folks asking about getting the Galaxy watches to work with non-Samsung phones online. The watch worked without any real effort with the Pixel Fold I just switched to from a Samsung phone. Didn't really have to do anything fancy, just installed the Galaxy Health app which I prefer to the Google Fit/Health stuff - all the history carries over when you log into your Samsung account with the Health app. The watch face I use - Pixel Minimal - comes with an app you have to run on the phone and that works without any problems too, including forwarding notifications and phone battery info to the watch. I didn't install the extra apks for the blood pressure and ECG sensors, so maybe those don't work? :iiam:

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 27, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I use the bezel daily, got used to it. The 4 Classic is my first watch in like 20 years and the bezel has become part of the interface to me.

Cancelled the 6 Classic pre-order soon after I put it in. Paying $229 after trading in a watch that's not too different in the first place just felt wrong. To be honest, there's not much more I want from a watch other than more health sensors. The 4 Classic is still a fine watch for me.

There was a rumor that Apple has some blood sugar tracking tech that's going into a watch - hope we see more of that.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Opinions on the Pixel Watch 1 now that it's received a bunch of updates? Have they improved it by adding more baseline features? For eg., put the watch in do not disturb mode when the phone switches to dnd?

I got one as an incentive to buy another phone but quite content with the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic so far. The health stuff on the 4 Just Works.

Google's track record isn't great when it comes to product managing between different competing initiatives of their own, leave alone the purchase of an external entity like Fitbit. So I'm pretty skeptical of how long it'll take then to figure out how to make Fitbit a part of the core offering. The branding seems confused already.

On the other hand, just switched to a Pixel phone again, so it would be nice to be in a single ecosystem again. Just skeptical that Fitbit will be integrated well for a long time yet. Unfounded?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Google Health stuff is dead? They actually pulled the trigger on it? I thought they were going to integrate the two somehow, which they haven't shown any real ability to manage well over the years.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Still haven't opened the box. May sell it yet. Not much of a window with the 2nd version coming out soon sounds like.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The WearOS 4 update has rolled out for older Samsung watches. It's available for my Watch 4 Classic, installing right now. Had to check in the phone app after I read it was rolling out, but it was there.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Wear OS 4 update has changed some of the UI inside of apps. The Samsung Health app on the Watch uses brighter colors when reporting certain stats now for example. Its "n miles completed" notification looks completely different, so that may have been handed off to the OS so along who knows.

Some additional notifications now about background apps using battery.

But mostly a transparent upgrade other than losing all my tiles.

The "Pixel Minimal Watch Face" still works, which was my biggest fear since I've come to like its layouts and functionally. It already had a phone and watch battery status widget so one of the big features of 4.0 isn't really useful. Will still have to run the phone app to get the lovely watch copy of phone notification icons the watch face can do. I don't think Wear OS can do that naturally, not as far as I know anyway.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

codo27 posted:

Thats the face I use, and as I said I've lost the watch battery indicator and new widgets I only got last week. Suppose I could try rebooting again.

If switching to another face and back as suggested didn't fix it, you may need to muck with the phone app which is what gets the battery data over to the watch face. Try troubleshooting from within that app.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

minusX posted:

So I was looking for the timeline of how fast they made changes etc, and looking at appbrain and

Holy poo poo. Looking at the other apps the devs have "made" seems like this is their MO. Buying out an existing app and then adding a ton of full screen ads that have a 3 day free trial followed by $250/year subscriptions to turn them off. This is really loving annoying and makes me worried for a lot of apps I've come to love and are doing well enough that someone else might want to buy them out.

Pixel Minimalist face just disappeared for me and I remembered the above.

Play Services says I have no subscription for the app but I did pay $3.26 for Premium back in Jan '23.

Can they just yank the app for me like that? Willing to make a ruckus with Google if there's a point to it - but have no idea how this kind of poo poo works. Seems to be I've already bought premium so WTF, etc

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, good point on not running code from suddenly shady company.

RIP watch face.

The original dev is such a good guy. I had a longish email chain with him about weather syncing. Good dude who wanted a good app.

E: Deleted the app from my phone - it's no longer in the app store, but a variant named the same except for "Pro" is now there for $1.49, no reviews.

I went to the store to see when the last code update was on my phone, actually worried about shady code injection now. But with the app disappearing I can no longer tell when it was last updated.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 14, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

minusX posted:

It was renamed "Minimal Watch Face" because they didn't want to use the name "Pixel"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benoitletondor.pixelminimalwatchface

Thanks! Last update to the Android app was Oct 10th. Wonder why the watch face was yoinked yesterday.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've been happy with my decision to stick with the Watch 4 Classic instead of trading it in for a Watch 6 Classic.

Samsung Health has been fine for me - never had all the spurious notifications etc - but I'm only looking to it to track my Watch data and provide historical trending - nothing more. I installed it on the Pixel Fold too, when I switched away from a Samsung phone and have been happy to have that just work.

I have a Pixel Watch 1 still in the box I should have been more motivated about selling, but it's lost a lot of value now. It was bundled with the Fold. Maybe I should try it out.

Have they fixed the v1 annoyances since release? Especially do not disturb not enabling on the watch when the phone goes into DND mode? That works fine with the Watch 4 and the Fold, would be silly if it's still not working with Google's own watch - but I've come to not expect much in this space.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I do get the inactivity reminder and the you hit 10k steps one, those are enabled by default and I'd forgotten.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It works for me with a Galaxy Watch 5 and Pixel Fold, both of which have DND turned on because I have a nighttime DND schedule set on the phone.

It doesn't work if I use a Google phone and Google watch. Works fine with a Google phone and Samsung watch.

:google:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Huh, maybe time to try the PW1.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

OP said GW4 Classic, so not as much battery as GW6 larger versions.

I get over a day with the GW4, but I went through and removed stuff I don't need. Don't use the always on display either - I feel the watch has gotten worse at detecting wrist turn to look at the screen to activate, btw. Probably bad software updates. It's usually between 40-70% battery when I put it on the charger at night.

I wish all watches would just charge off any phone that can act as a wireless charger. Why yes, I have an portable wireless charger on me at all times - what can't you just use it, watch?

I no longer use sleep tracking though - I have apnea which the APAP machine does a great job of controlling. It's got good enough stat tracking that I'm happy not to wear the watch at night. Like it's nice to see the REM/deep sleep estimates, but it's also great not to have the device on my wrist at night.

Had a recent trip where I forgot my watch charger and got it to last 2.5-3 days even though I went to low power mode only after the watch suggested I do that at 10%(?) battery left. E: at which point I also turned off the watch when sleeping.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 24, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the links. Seems it's called Battery Share on Pixels, but unfortunately the Pixel Fold doesn't support it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

One area they should standardize but won't, I'm sure.

Phones can charge wired just about anywhere, especially with USB C PD becoming even more ubiquitous. Watches need wireless, which a wireless charging phone is a perfect charger for. Watches don't even take much charge to top up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I hadn't worn my watch for a few days, but the symptoms were the same when I checked just now. The Dec 31st hack worked, allows the app to start and keep running - thanks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I haven't paid any attention to WearOS watches outside of the GW4 Classic I wear. Do all these watches come with their own health tracking apps or do they feed into whatever it is that Google's goldfish product management have decided to call their app today?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That was useful to know on the hybrid processor stuff that's coming into WearOS.

Dunno if this is the right topic for it, but do we know if Samsung's new Ring has GPS/step count support? The latter would be fine even if done mechanically. None of the stuff on it mentions either.

Would be happy to give up the watch if the ring can do biometrics as accurately as a watch. The phone is a good enough display for me and always around or on me anyway.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thinking of putting in a smart lock. Would be good to have one that works off contact with watch/phone, WearOS & Android only. But I also want an old fashioned key that can be used with the deadbolt if something goes wrong with power/firmware, whatever - aware of the 9V battery override feature, but that won't help with rogue firmware.

The Nest x Yale seems like it ticks all the Watch/Android boxes, but has no hardware key.

Do y'all know of any well made locks that fit the bill? Watch control would be fantastic, hence why I'm asking here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's where I am with my Watch 4 Pro - don't see a real need to upgrade it unless there's a big jump in health monitoring capabilities (by any manufacturer).

I got the watch with a Galaxy Flip and then used it with a Galaxy Fold. Was working fine with the Pixel Fold, but recently started getting alerts that the watch can't be backed up unless I install the Samsung Smart Switcher app - which I do not plan to do. Don't really care if anything on the watch is backed up - it's a pane of glass that's supposed to display information from elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

The need to create ecosystems for themselves is a real problem in this space. Every single player is at it, balkanizing the user experience.