Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Anyone got the tylt band for the 360? Thinking about getting one.
I really wanted one but it'd cost me like £50 to get it shipped to the UK :( .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Moto 360 should have a wifi antenna, right? Have they not pushed the update for cloud connectivity yet?
I don't think any device has had a 5.1 update (the Urbane launched with it).

But to confirm, yes, the Moto 360 has the required Wi-Fi hardware and will gain that feature.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No issues with the vibration on mine and I even tend to wear it quite loose. I guess it's just down to how sensitive you are to that kind of thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Am I in the minority that I can get over 24 hours out of my 360? I pulled it off the charger yesterday at 430am and forgot to put it on the charger last night and at 1230pm it was still going at 5%.
Depends if you have Ambient Screen on. I think most of us run with Ambient and get about 18 hours. Mine will do 24+ with it off but it's annoying to use that way and I don't need it to last that long anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Has any 360 anywhere received 5.1?
There has been no reported instance of this yet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CaptainN posted:

Do you reckon we're likely to see new watch(es) announced during any of today's events?
If you mean I/O, the keynote was yesterday and there was literally nothing new regarding Wear at all. They did waste ten minutes telling us about the things in 5.1 that are already live which was weird.

Generally speaking from now on I'd imagine we're going to see Wear devices being announced at tech shows and OEM events, just like we do with phones and tablets. I/O is a dev conference so it doesn't really fit now that the platform is an established thing. Even Nexus devices have generally moved away from being launched at I/O.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love my 360 and don't regret buying it but I can't deny that the performance when it first lights up is consistently janky and the battery life is acceptable but nothing more. I'm not desperate to replace it but if someone makes a round watch that looks as good as the 360 with a modern SoC and an OLED screen I'm going to find it pretty hard to resist.

It really depends how cheap you can get it as to whether the 360 is a good buy right now. For ~£100 I'd say it'd be good value, as long as you're aware of the compromises.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kakairo posted:

Who has two thumbs and poor impulse control? This guy!

Just grabbed a 360, very happy with the first impressions but it's only been an hour. I see what you're saying about the jankiness when it first lights up, but it feels fine after that first "wake up". I'm also pleasantly surprised by how quickly it picks up my natural wrist movement, so I'm not even tempted to try ambient mode right now.
In every day use it's a much better device with Ambient mode on, it lights up faster and is more glanceable. Anyway, glad you're happy with it. It's still a great looking device and the flat tyre isn't a thing that I ever notice.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with them taking time to make sure the update works properly as long as it does show up eventually. I won't be happy if they abandon it this early, but there's currently no reason to think that right now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 360 updated last night.

One change that I noticed this morning which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: alarms set on your phone now also vibrate the watch. However, alarms set on the watch are still watch only which is kind of stupid UX.

Edit: Ah, this is part of the updated Clock app, not the Wear update.

Edit edit: Comedy error message of the day:

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 19, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also holding the button down used to go direct to settings but now takes you to the app launcher which can be accessed with a simple screen tap. So that's worthless now as well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PurpleJesus posted:

So I just snagged a used Moto 360 from Amazon and was wondering if it takes a while for the apps I've downloaded on my phone to transfer over.
If this ever happens again, note that you can force a manual sync in the Wear app on your phone if needed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Can I pair my moto 360 with two devices at once? Specifically a phone and a tablet.
No, and you have to factory reset the watch to pair it with a new device which will get old fast if you have ideas about doing it frequently.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 12, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kakairo posted:

Has anyone seen any silicone/plastic watch bands that work well with the Moto 360? I was at a music festival over the weekend and didn't want to get my leather band super sweaty (105 heat index, interrupted by a downpour), so I didn't take mine but I felt naked without it.
The Tylt ones are reportedly to be nice but they won't ship (at sensible prices) to the UK so I can't personally confirm that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Motorola had an event today where they were expected to announce some new phones and the 360 mk II. Guess which part of that didn't happen.
A lot of us weren't expecting the watch today. Only garbage linkbait websites had reported that it was, and there basically haven't been enough leaks for it to be a release-ready product. It's definitely coming though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

4000mah battery with 75% efficiency and the Moto 360's 320mah internal battery should yield you over 9 charges of the watch.
75% is a decent yield on a regular battery pack, I'd be amazed if a wireless one can approach anything like that.

(But yes, the 360 battery is tiny and it will still charge is a decent number of times.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It looks bad until you wear one every day and then you never even notice or care at all.

Plus the light sensor is good.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No idea if it's legit but these Moto 360 v2 casing photos match the design from the video that Motorola recently posted on Twitter and then pulled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/moto360/comments/3htu3z/so_i_got_my_hands_on_the_moto_360_v2_watch/

I quite like it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kakairo posted:

Hmm. Well, I won't be leaping to get the new model based on the style. There would have to be some big upgrade to the internals in order to get me interested.

I don't have a problem with the fat tire, but if they added the lugs why not make the lugs a little thicker and hide the sensor in there? You'd never notice on the black model.
They put the display driver/connection there too. I imagine it's not practical to have that in a narrow sticky-out lug.

Edit:

peterjmatt posted:

VVVVV edit: Ah, that would explain it. But the case doesn't look appreciably smaller, just the lug width. Hard to tell from the one photo.
18mm and 22mm are strap sizes, so that's exactly what bull means, just narrower lugs on the same case.

I did some quick comparisons and it definitely seems as though the lugs are narrower on the gold watch (or the watch is bigger, can't be certain):

Open these in two tabs and switch between them to see the difference, the top lug is clearly inside the grey one:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/wmDMfzq.jpg[/img][/timg]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/B2YdxPh.jpg[/img][/timg]

Or if we match the lugs, the watches are different sizes:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/T7wegz0.jpg[/img][/timg]

This could just be a trick of the angles but it doesn't seem that way.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 21, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

So all you Wear experts: Is the 360/2 $250 better than the 360?
We don't know because the critical things that are wrong with the OG are software/usage issues: performance and battery life. I can only imagine that the performance issues are entirely fixed since it's using the S400, and this should also resolve the battery issues. I mean, it looks basically the same so there just isn't really much else to compare them on. I guess the button is in a better place but I'm not sure that I'd pay anything for that. Maybe the screen is better on the new one but the screen on the original is just fine. What else is there?

I own a 360 and unless there is some unexpected disaster in the reviews or the UK pricing ends up being stupid I'm upgrading to the new one. For me the performance/battery issues make it worth getting the new one, as long as those are properly resolved. But I bought it to mess around with some dev stuff and always knew that it had its flaws and that I'd most likely want to replace it after a year so I'm not a typical user.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 3, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For all your goony needs, you can print out a cardboard watch and try it on:
http://www.motorola.com/sites/default/files/library/storage/products/moto-360/desktop/us/Moto360_2ndGen_SizeComparion_FitGuide_US.pdf

Except that the 42mm men's watch cutout (second page) is clearly too big.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 3, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blinking beacon nose posted:

Long press the watch face, the screen that's active most of the time, to change watch faces? I don't need access to other watch faces on demand. I especially don't need access to them on accident.
This is the worst thing on Wear. I have no clue why it is so accessible and I constantly trigger it by accident.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

For some reason I have in my head that the 360 is more of a "pure Android" watch and the Huawei has too many Huawei specific features that may slow updates.
This isn't a thing on Android Wear. OEMs basically get to add watch faces / apps and that's it. The 360 was actually consistently the slowest to get updates, but that was most likely because of it's lovely CPU.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

So Moto Connect updated last night and now I have a bunch of new interactive watch faces. I think some of these are from the new 360, so it's cool the the old one is still getting love.
You can also now set the colour of the clock on the charging display (blue, red, green, pink, yellow) which is something I've always felt was missing.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 14, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide whether black bezel / silver frame / black strap will look good on the new 360 or whether the bezel/frame really need to be the same colour. I like the silver buckle/lugs as kind of highlights around a mostly black watch, but I'm not sure if it'll look weird/cheap. I'd happy take an all black watch with a grey leather strap but for some reason there is no such option this time.

Any opinions from people who understand fashion and poo poo?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Black is more likely to show scratches so keep that in mind.
My 2014 360 is black/black and it's generally unscathed despite me bashing it into walls and poo poo a bunch of times, so I'm not too concerned about that. I also find it a bit boring to look at, like it looks a bit too much like a gadget rather than a watch, hence my consideration of some silver.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Basically "pay $50 to have the flat tire removed."

I can understand why it may be a bit more difficult for those who actually have access to motomaker in their country, or really really love qi charging, but otherwise...
Price difference seems like it will be €100 in Europe. UK Huawei price currently unknown.

360 also has the option of the bigger model.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I dislike AMOLED, proprietary chargers, and lack of ambient light sensors. Plus as they were the same price how I would've configured them so to me the 360/2 was just preferable.
To be fair, every report I've seen says that the Huatch screen is nicer than the new 360's. Brighter, higher resolution, and sapphire glass. AMOLED also has potential battery life benefits.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

Maybe it's a #roundwatch thing? I can't even figure out how to reproduce it on purpose. The most obvious way (folding arms) just activates the palm screen gesture.
I wear shorts a lot when sitting around in my house and my arm touches my leg and triggers the watchface change.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

I don't know, really, but based on what the internet suggests, it will not. For example, it won't lay flat, so charging on the Qi pads you already have won't work. I think the lugs prevent it from working in the OG 360 Qi dock (and flat pads).
Two reviews I've read (Ars and ComputerWorld, I think) both reported that it charges just fine on the OG dock, despite Motorola claiming otherwise.

Don Lapre, any chance of a photo of it sitting on the puck, just to give an idea of how much (if at all?) it is raised from the surface? I occasionally charge my 360 using my Nexus QI charger and it'd be good if that is still an option. Though I haven't 100% decided to upgrade yet. Have seen a few initial reports that the battery life and/or performance are much improved but still sub-par.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is a watch with a cellular radio something that people actually want?
I don't quite understand this either. Presumably it requires a SIM card. So now you're paying two phone bills and people have to guess whether to call your watch or your phone? It sounds laughable. Am I missing something?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

You will be able to added it to a plan on a supported carrier for $10 max a month who will also probably take care of call forwarding/caller ID for the watch.
This makes more sense, yeah.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

My 46mm came in just a couple hours ago. I thought it'd be laughably huge but it feels nice.
What colour combo did you go for?

My biggest concern with upgrading form the OG 360 is that the ambient mode looks really ugly on the new one. Can anyone who has owned both comment on this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

I don't own the gen2 360 but do have the Huawei. All I can say is if you are looking for a sharp, bright screen, look no further than the Huawei. It's crispy as hell. I've seen the gen 2 360 in-person and was not impressed. Seems much of the same as the gen1. An LCD, even with a light sensor, isn't the best choice for a smartwatch in my opinion.
I'm not concerned about the regular "on" screen, the OG 360 is plenty good and sharp enough for that, never had any complaints about it. It's only the always-on mode that is a concern because the original model doesn't seem to reduce the quality so I don't really understand why the new one does given everything else about it has had a big upgrade.

The Huawei looks nice and I'm sure the screen is nicer before but I prefer the style of the 360 and I'd prefer 46mm.

And then part of me thinks I could just wait for next year. Pretty torn.

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/02/moto-360-2nd-gen-review/

Droid life has their full review up, they had this to say about battery life on the new Moto 360.
This is notable because it's the first review I've seen of the 46mm version and it gives a much better impression than reports of the 42mm (which were that it has improved and is fine, but nothing like this). Thanks for making the decision even harder.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Kept the new 46mm 360 off the charger from 9:30pm until 4:00pm and had 31% left with ambient display on. I have to say that's way better than I expected. This is a great little device.
Stop it, I don't need to replace my watch after one year.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

With that said, what's the square watch of choice? Sony Smartwatch 3? Or is there something killer on the way worth waiting for?
I think the Sony Smartwatch 3 and the Asus Zenwatch 2 are the two best square options right now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

This might seem like a dumb question but where is there a good source of watch faces? I discovered the Moto Connect app which allowed me to make the (very) simple face that I'm kind of happy with but what I'd really like a gallery that isn't filled with wall to wall poo poo to search through. All I really want is the Elegance grey fade to black background so I can put it in Moto Connect but I have no idea how to make that myself and searching for a gradient image on GIS came up with the worst banded compressed JPGs ever.
What desktop OS are you using? You can trivially makes a gradiented square in ten seconds with Paint.NET (Windows). And I guess GIMP or something for Mac. Or give me two RGB values or whatever and I'll make it for you.

As for the watchface question, Google hasn't done a very good job for this. I can recommend Minimal & Elegant, Pujie Black and Timr Face as some well made faces, and the first two are very customisable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Neat thanks. Are they miles apart in terms of hardware?
Zenwatch uses a Snapdragon 400, Smartwatch uses a Broadcom BCM23550, I have no idea about the relative performance. The S400 is used in lots of other watches and performs well.
Smartwatch is LCD, Zenwatch is AMOLED.
Smartwatch has NFC, not sure if that even does anything yet, does Android Pay support it? I'm in the UK so not really familiar as the service doesn't exist here.
Smartwatch is IP68, Zenwatch is IP67, though probably equally waterproof for the purpose of being a watch.

That's about it I think.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm on Mac but I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about how pictures work. I'm in the middle of nowhere stealing WiFi at the moment but when i get to civilization again I'll see if I can't figure out how to give you those values.
Just tell me what percentage greys you want from this and which compass point each is at.

(Aside: Googling "grey shades" to find this gave me a lot of results about a certain film.)

Rastor posted:

No, they both use the Snapdragon 400. All currently available Android Wear watches use the same Snapdragon 400 processor, except the original Moto 360.
I can't find any official spec for the thing that lists the CPU/SoC but there are lots of references online to it using a Broadcom chip. I honestly don't know and could be wrong.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Sony's website says the CPU is a "Quad ARM A7, 1.2 Ghz" but as I have literally no idea what that is it could well be a Snapdragon 400. :iiam: (to me).
This is an accurate description of both the S400 and the BCM23550, so, umm :iiam: indeed.

Edit: Missed that there was a new page.

KillHour posted:

The only reason the Sony smartwatch has NFC and the others don't is because it's built into that Broadcom SoC.

:ms:
Right. The S400 says that it supports NFC but I'm guessing that means that it can do so with a separate chip.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 4, 2015