Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grapplejack posted:

Tripwire have you considered talking to Overkill for some of that sweet cross promotion? I want to rob banks as Mr. Foster. :allears:

Nah, needs to go all the way to absurdity and add Keanu Reeves (as voiced by Simon Viklund) as the heister to join the KF crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

"Eh, I've seen Hans in the streams. I can do this just fi-":gibs:

Holy poo poo is Hans a beast, even on normal. It's actually really hard to keep your team up as a medic because Hans does crazy spike damage. One second they're fine, the next they're dead.

Also, his nerve gas attack incredibly disorienting if you get caught by it. Couldn't find the door fast enough and went from full to dead in like two seconds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NT Plus posted:

Is it just me or does the hanzo steel katana completely loving suck now?

It's for an upcoming class and as such is not actually on-perk for Berserker (and doesn't get the zerker bonuses).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ZearothK posted:

The Medic guns are all excellent, the SMG is pretty much laser accurate and is perfect to pop heads and both the shotgun and assault rifle have great damage. Most weapons in the game have a lower ammo stock compared to KF1, so short-controlled bursts and all that.

I do feel they could use a slight buff, but only because everyone else gets damage buffs with their weapons and medic doesn't.

That being said, tap firing they feel excellent. Rocking a healing shotty and healing AR at the end is just fun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

How are you guys defeating Hans? I keep getting to him and then my team wipes until there's only one guy kiting him.

The attack that really keeps getting me is his super charge. I run and run and yet he ALWAYS kills me with it. I've noticed when watching in spectator mode after I die that when he does that attack his tank gets a rocket booster during it. Does that mean he can't turn, so the trick is to side-step him?

Either way, loving it so far. Got up to Lv 5 on Medic so far. I find that tossing down heal grenades does wonders for helping the team get through the Heavies. Had a fight where me and a Commando got separated from the party. The pair of us fended off a double Fleshpound spawn by me tossing down medic grenades and standing in the healing mist as I took the attacks on the chin. Ate all my armor but trivialized what was otherwise horrible spawn luck.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

UltraVariant posted:

To be honest, I have no idea. I've only managed to beat him in Paris for some reason. I guess just be really coordinated and try to keep reasonable distance from him. Also, always keep the Medic alive, of course.

Well, my deaths to him either come down to getting blinded by nerve gas and finding out too late that the door wasn't directly behind me and off to the side, and the slashy-chargy attack which is "Okay, stop hitting me now! gently caress! Ow! You're a video game boss you're supposed to give me room to back off!"

The former is just me being dumb, but the latter I have no clue how to make him stop hitting me before he kills me from near full health. He runs faster than me as a medic and he just doesn't stop attacking.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Your SMG, which is unnecessarily badass for a cheap upgrade, comes with a flashlight. Press F to turn it on.

Actually, all the medic weapons BESIDES the pistol have flashlights. The pistol is the only exception.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

splifyphus posted:

I was going to main support, but saw that 'zerkers start with a shovel and a katana and a lawnmower blade and jumped right in. And then I discovered the nailgun.

So long support! I'll get back to you ... sometime.

There must be a way to disable the screen shake, right? It's very disorienting at the moment.

There's a medic shotgun too! :v: To quote the pastor: "Deals out judgement AND healing!", also "Looks like a toy, kicks like a mule!"

So far it seems like the first 1-2 levels are the worst, but once you get them the classes start opening up (or at least not becoming a slog). Support sucked until I got the first level (it didn't help I kept getting separated from the rest of the pubby team and getting a total of 15 clots and other trash a round) but that shotgun penetration started to make it shine. Medic sucked at first as well and then I started moving faster and getting the armor bonus. Having +15 armor and +20 health at level five seriously makes up for lack of increased damage with the medic.

Also, I will never, ever get tired of the clot's power-walk. He just stomps towards the player going "Yeah, I graduated from clot school! I'm not a cyst, I'm not a slasher, I'm a loving clot! And I'm gonna tear you up! Oh...there went my head..."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

splifyphus posted:

It's really easy to not have to do the early levels just by taking some backup non-perk weapons on your main. I have support at lvl 2 without even touching it yet, just from welding doors and taking the hunting shotty as a backup weapon.

Wait, you can still earn experience for perks you don't currently have equipped, like in KF1? Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Get whatever tier 2 weapon you feel like using and get ammo, then save up for your T4.

Not applicable for medic since the T3 weapon is a shotgun. T4 is just an upgrade of T3, having a mixture of shotgun and either the SMG or AR gives the medic a lot more versitility than only having SMG/AR. I find the medic SMG is good enough that it can last a good, long while with proper trigger control. Medics aren't really heavy hitters compared to others so it's fine (and important) to focus mainly on trash clearing. Your main job when the big guys show up is to toss healing grenades down for the heavy hitters to bathe in and keep clots and crawlers off of them.

The fact that healing grenades actively poison zeds, and do enough damage to murder trash (making them a zone of healy death) really reinforces my idea that medics really should focus on trash second (healing first).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Found a bug with the medic armor.

It persists on any other class after perk swapping, even if you buy new or grab it off the floor it still gives you what you had as a medic.

The extra armor and health on medic can get a bit flaky at times. I've sometimes bought full armor only to notice I'm missing a bit. For example I'll have +12 or +15 out of my +18 and then have to go back to the trader to tell her "No, I've leveled up a few times as a medic, give me the slightly better armor." Meanwhile the game is incredibly inconsistent on whether or not I can heal myself if I'm over 100 HP even when I've got the 120 HP perk. Sometimes I'll sit there at 115 and be able to top myself off, sometimes I'll start mashing Q at 105 and nothing happens.

With those issues, I'm not surprised the medic armor perk is a bit buggy at being removed. :v:

Also, I've noticed that while the syringe takes a full charge if you heal yourself or someone else, the reload time seems to differ. Haven't timed it out, but it seems that healing others with it is still faster/cheaper than healing yourself. It's of course faster, cheaper AND easier just to get a medic pistol on any class and shoot darts at your teammates.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like that there's a sign in BioLabs telling people not to swim in the Clot Mother tank because the liquid in it is not water :gonk:

My favorite is the screens in the frozen outpost detailing the outbreak, and that "SWAT monkeys" were deployed to one of the outbreaks (can't remember which one).

I realize that it's probably the (supposedly highly trained) former occupants of the outpost were probably making fun of local SWAT units, but I like the idea that before Horzine thought of the idea to just deputize and pay survivors (in company script) to clean up the mess they first tried sending trained howler monkeys out to fight the zeds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Just got to level 10 medic and I have to say that Armorer is amazing.

The lost healing is pretty unnoticeable due to the fact that you already have boosted healing. And I'll admit the armor on the darts/syringe isn't great. Where it really shines is the fact that Armorer applies to your medic grenades. Having a healing cloud that restores health AND armor is actually pretty baller and amazing when face-tanking Scrakes and Fleshpounds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I love the little ground holes when the Cysts crawl out of them. They pop up and wave their arms back and forth in excitement before crawling out. :3

Also, manhole covers apparently have no weight, I saw a crawler open one when the hole first became active as a spawn point and the cover went flying like a bomb had gone off under it.

Whittle posted:

Now THAT sounds really handy! Think I'll focus on medic for a while rather than switching like I am at the moment!

Just remember that you can't heal people if they're at full health. Armorer doesn't let you heal their armor if they have full health.

That 2/3 armor per dart, or every time the nanite cloud hits is great for keeping your team in mid-range armor for longer, and even that 2/3 will shave a decent chunk of damage off of the next hit your teammate takes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Abandoned Toaster posted:

It really is. Typing "come at me bro" and throwing a grenade at your feet while a fleshpound attacks you and coming out with MORE armor than you had before is a certain kind of awesome.

I mean, it probably doesn't work as well past Hard, but it was a good feeling.

Yeah, the whole "Get body armor from the start and a body armor discount" thing seems so, well, not really worth it, not needed, and the selfish option. There can be reasons for other perks to take selfish options (like Supports having more AA12 ammo) but as a medic it kinda goes against the grain.

Also, the best thing is when other people notice and comment on it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Casull posted:

This is true. Usually I play medic in other games and I mained medic in Killing Floor. Now that I'm playing support, it's too satisfying to give up unless we have no medics in game.

That said, every game I've joined so far has at least one medic.

Medics have a shotgun too!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, how does the Lacerate skill actually work? Does it make zeds with popped heads bleed out and die faster, or does it add a bleeding DoT effect to any medic attacks?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Just won a round with a group of apparently idiot savants.

They all stood on the catwalk on Paris against the Patriarch, all got a hefty dose of gas, all burned ammo during his invincible chase phase...and yet we won against him with only one dude dying.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, I just realized that you can reliably headpop gorefasts with the weapon butt with a bit of practice.

I've been saving ammo by killing lone crawlers and cysts/clots/slashers with the stock of my weapons, the fact that you can headpop gorefasts with it is hilarious. I love watching them run, all screaming and threatening with their arm blade at me only to take the butt of my rifle to their jaw in a gore-filled explosion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Turning the corner to see a giant cluster of trash is the BEST feeling as a Support. Why yes, I would LOVE 50+ experience from a single click of the starting pump-action boomstick.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

What I want to do as support: fire my hunting shotgun then toss a grenade before reloading.

What I end up doing: emptying my hunting shotgun, swearing as tossing a grenade does not cancel the reload that starts automatically when the gun's empty, then repeating because the Zeds are in my face now.

Seriously, make grenade tosses cancel reloads. Its desperately needed, especially on Support with the double barreled shotgun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fina posted:

Yeah the reload mechanics are really bad right now on Support. Not being able to cancel in the middle of reloads on the pump, or auto-reloading with the double barrel. I hope they get fixed soon.

You can cancel on the pump and semi-auto, you just have to do it via shooting or using the melee attack. Technically you can cancel the double barrel with the melee bash too, but then you end up in the exact same situation you were a moment ago: swearing violently because your double barrel is empty.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Questioner86 posted:

We've heard you all loud and clear on the reload canceling to iron sight and throw grenades (and to be perfectly honest it was something that the internal test team requested before the beta was released) but, without boring you with details, making that change in the weapons is very risky and isn't something we can do in the couple of days we've had to work since the game was released. It's a "when you gently caress this up you can't shoot/reload" kind of thing so we need to take our time and make sure we don't totally bork the weapons in making this change.

Well, let me reiterate that it desperately needs to be in.

You know...whenever you can get it to work and not immediately make the game implode by implementing the feature. Stability comes first, QoL comes second. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Finally got a screenshot of my own to share!

And a fresh bug for those kind gentlemen at TWI reading this thread: KF2 does not react well if your steam screenshot key is F11, at least if you're running borderless window like me. It minimized my screen then when it came back it refused to accept input (minimizing again every time I clicked) until I hit F11 again, making it normal windowed mode instead of borderless.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Broose posted:

Noticed this too last night. Gorefasts would start their attack animation out of range, then warp a bit into range. Took me by surprise the first time. Just chalked it up to maybe the server and client being out of sync a bit.

Yeah, I saw that happen repeatedly with Scrakes as well. I thought they were teleporting because of my framerate due to max body count experiments but now that I'm hearing reports of other people experiencing it, I'm not so sure.

Also, max body count should totally be an in-game slider option.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Section Z posted:

Is it me, or does breaking open a door early with a grenade barely deal any damage to the zeds on the other side (BOOM... oh only one zed dies :geno:)? Or do support grenades below level 10 just not deal with that so well? Every time I've thrown a grenade at a door that was almost about to go down instead of waiting so it would explode AFTER it busts open, pretty much nothing dies.

Waiting for a door to open so your grenade will actually deal damage, but not waiting more than a second too long so they don't scatter outside of the AoE entirely for the most part. Even on normal it's rare to get that luxury without basically leaving the rest of your team to fend for yourselves against the other 20+ zeds that have spawned/teleported to enter from the opposite side of the room, just so you can get that sweet 100+ experience grenade multikill.

Considering you only have a vague estimate of how long a door will last integrity wise, you can only preemptively time this from the weld wearing out too. I'm not saying I want some easy set and forget proximity explosion, but right now tossing a grenade at doors in any way that matters means dropping everything to stare at the door. Unless I'm just the worlds most unlucky man and grenades normally kill poo poo just fine if they blow the doors open.

EDIT: PS give Berserker a talent that let's them goomba stomp crawlers, TIA.

Support grenades are kinda weird in the fact that they have a very small (but powerful) radius, and then they have shotgun-like projectiles that burst out that are buffed by shotgun penetration. They can either be ultimate face-wreckers and earn you over 100 exp in a single blast or kill piss-all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

he's one of the many cool dudes on the tripwire forums that enjoy some aspects of red orchestra 2 a little too much. the red orchestra 2 section of that forum is loving filled with them

See also: War Thunder (where they're common enough to earn a descriptor: Wehrabo)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Skoll posted:

That's really ANY WWII online game. I hear it's worse in World of Tanks.

Fair enough. I'm mostly familiar with the people who love GERMAN ENGINEERING way too much in War Thunder's tank game. I'm not familiar with the air game and have no idea how much worship the Luftwaffe gets, but goddamn do some pubbies get pissed when their Panzer gets popped (which I do all the time in my mobile AA trucks :v:)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Colosmicon posted:

Set it to 5, to start newbies off with a perk choice. It's super disappointing to finally reach level 5, only to realize that your brand-new tier 1 perks are boring.

I do like the idea of reducing the level cap by 5. Make the current level 5 perk the future level 0 perk, give at least some (small) buffs at level 0, maximum level at 20. That way the player gets a shiny thing from the get go with each perk that helps make them different other than the weapons they use. With the exception of zerker (which gets worse as time goes on), all the classes start exactly the same but with different weapons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Skoll posted:

FP's have ALWAYS been weak to explosive damage. It's the Scrakes that barely take any damage from it, and consequently Scrakes are the ones everyone tosses all their nades at.

Probably because Scrakes seem a lot more willing to walk slowly into a pile of grenades. FPs tend to go into a blind rage within moments of seeing players and start running around.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Skoll posted:

You never played KF1, have you?

Yes. Though admittedly it's been a long time. I was the group SS so the most I remember of KF1 Scrakes/FPs is playing "pop goes the head" with a crossbow.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

That's why you also buy an AK-12 along with your Scar-H, mate. Then you have an entire other gun to magdump with!

It's amazing but I feel the Commando weapons suffer from being too same-y. It would have been nice to get an LMG in the set.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Questioner86 posted:

There's been A LOT of feedback from players who just want us to push the content ASAP and we totally get that. On the flip side we're really trying not to use early access as an excuse to dump incomplete and buggy content onto the community.

Dude, "incomplete, buggy content" is the definition of Early Access. This is supposed to be a beta of sorts to test the game. Let us test it for you!

Psion posted:

Release the vampiric AA-12, release that poo poo right now. That isn't a bug that is a FEATURE. HoE here I come. :getin:

Also this. :black101:

Seriously, I respect your commitment to providing quality stuff, but this is Early Acess, people literally bought this game before the "official release date" expecting a quasi-beta experience. There's a time where you have to shoot the engineer (or the head of QA, sorry dude :v:) and toss a patch out as soon as you've made sure that it doesn't have any known horrible crashes in it. Your long silence is killing player retention and interest as, despite your posts, a lot of people just aren't aware or don't feel that you are actually working on the game. You're judging yourself on intentions, others judge you on actions. While your intentions may be true and honest, your community isn't seeing very much on the action front (besides the occasional cock-tease gif of stuff like rocket launcher backblast :flashfap: )

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's up to the developer to decide how they'll approach early access. Nuclear throne has an update every single weekend where they pretty much throw up whatever unfinished stuff they're currently working on into the game, including incomplete things like menus that say "new menu in progress, sorry!" on them, so new content arrives quickly but is very buggy. Grim dawn by contrast releases new builds that are months apart, thoroughly debugged and polished, and feel like content ready to go straight in the final version of the game. I couldn't say if one method is better than the other, but those approaches probably get very different benefits out of early access and it's up to the developer to decide how they want to use it. I don't know if tripwire's approach is the right one, but how often they should update is their choice and not the testers'.

I respect that. I mean, I'm used to Firaxis's "once a year...maybe." patches after all.

I'm mostly saying that what it really feels like Questioner and crew are spending too much time polishing right now. A polished final product is obviously desired, but as said it feels a bit silly to put too much polish on something when likely the first draft will have some sort of flaw (just how life works). Slap a coat of primer on it, make sure it doesn't burst into flames if looked at cross-eyed, then kick it out the door and let the community play with it (and make funny videos of it) while data is gathered.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Taffer posted:

I'm not going to slam the devs or anything because I realize how much work it is and I'm not that invested, but I'll just say this, as someone who was super pumped for KF2 before release: I'm bored of it and not really interested anymore. Take it as you will but smaller and faster content updates would probably have helped prevent that.

E: To be clear I'm not saying RELEASE IT ALL NOW because I know that's not how it works. Just smaller chunks instead of waiting for one big dump could have been better.

Yeah, this is more or less what I was trying to say.

Also, are you guys really afraid that Tripwire is going to try to sell weapon/class packs? The game/character customization is literally built around nickel and dime-ing us to death by selling the player base cosmetics. Tripwire doesn't need to hide gameplay behind additional DLC to make the game a long-term investment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Carecat posted:

An RPG but no rotary grenade launcher this time? The single shot launchers are hardly quick.

Also remember, the RPG does have a functional backblast. if you want to use that as a short range, really expensive shotgun. Just turn away from the clots approaching you. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

blablablabla posted:

Tripwire: When you want your games to be good a year after release.

See also: Firaxis. :v:

But, honestly developers that keep working on their products to improve them are my favorites and get a lot of benefit of the doubt from me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I honestly wonder what the Gunslinger's tier 1 weapon will be. Will they just give him the 9mm and apply the buffs, or a unique version with a longer mag or is dual-wielded? I mean they can't give him both a normal 9mm and a dual 9mm since that would be silly. You end up with two (well, three) weapons that share the same ammo but have separate ammo pools, or you end up with an inferior "why am I even using this?" version of the weapon with the same ammo pool.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

turnways posted:

Kept you waiting, huh?

Is it actually available (or at least thrown at Steam) or are you just cockteasing us some more? :v:

Or are you suggesting half of the dev team will suddenly call in "sick" when MGSV comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Psion posted:

this actually makes sense and sounds plausible so yeah seconded

mop and bucket melee weapons, of course

Horzine brand biological waste bucket dispenser. Instead of tossing them in an incinerator or out an airlock you toss them into the bio-sludge blender to make into more clot-plant food.