Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

Nevermind, it was because I had my SNES to USB plugged in. So even after I unplugged my 360 controller it kept wanting to recognize that controller as a 360 and would't let me use the keyboard for anything. Don't plug in any controllers for now maybe.

The very first option that should exist in a game like this is "disable gamepad" so fuckery like that doesn't happen

The game dynamically shifts between controller and mouse/kb based on what method last sent out input; it shouldn't default to controller mode unless it's receiving direct input (i.e. a button press, not an existence ping) from a controller somewhere. I'll note down SNES to USB is doing something to trigger that somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Woo the game is out

http://gfycat.com/DisfiguredNaughtyBluewhale

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

what are we even waiting for right now

Kept you waiting, huh?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Is it actually available (or at least thrown at Steam) or are you just cockteasing us some more? :v:

Or are you suggesting half of the dev team will suddenly call in "sick" when MGSV comes out?

I'm just pumped as hell for the next Hideo Kojima masterpiece, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, starring Punished "Venom" Snake and Revolver "Shalashaska" Ocelot.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

Tripwire need to set up an MGSV/Killing Floor 2 collaboration like the Chivalry one.

I need to play as a Gunslinger in an Ocelot skin.

Hideo won't retweet me :(

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Eonwe posted:

so can we kick people in killing floor 2

yes kickvoting is in

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Eonwe posted:

i meant physically kick

if you're playing LAN

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Questioner86 posted:

Well greased chamber: All your gunslinger weapons reload 30% faster

You're pretty good :ocelot:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

A few things I noticed in the server browser:

There should be a little "X" to exit out of the server filter menu here:

Currently, if you click "Filter", the only way out is to press either "Reset" or "Apply." There's also no way to filter by Ranked (i.e., where your progress towards perks actually matters)

Being able to load more than 1000 servers at a time is great! However:

If you want to manually stop loading them, there is no option. You have to wait until all 3,000+ servers are loaded to be able to list them properly. Being able to stop this from updating after a certain point would be nice!

A scroll bar on the right here for servers with a TON of custom maps would be great. Clicking down a bunch of times is just annoying:

That's it for now :3

The first is a conscious decision; people were getting confused about whether the X would apply the filters or not, so now you always have to apply the filters to close the menu. I'll pass the filter by ranked along, that might be a backend thing so I can't speak to that. The third (no scrollbar) is a legit bug, and I'll pass that along.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I can clear a couple of things up, but only a couple. No, as far as I'm aware there have been no instructions to ban for dissenting opinions; the reviews are stemming from either being banned for repeatedly posting in the wrong forums, or riding a fun little hatewagon. The gameplay and feedback team has been cataloging a ton of feedback and they've got a bunch of things planned for next week, none of which I'm at liberty to talk about. You're probably not seeing a lot of response because it's the weekend and folks are home with their families, or for the majority of us it's not really our place to talk about stuff. Though personally (and I'm only speaking for myself) I stopped posting in here because it isn't my place or my job to really talk with folks about stuff I'm not working on. The fact that I both don't have answers and undoubtedly couldn't tell you even if I did means I really got nothin' for y'all, and the stuff I would have to answer falls so far outside my job I couldn't even give you a proper answer if the stars aligned and I had both info and permission.

I'm talking to you guys right now as a guy who's been posting on SA for 12 years, not as an official rep of TWI or a dev or anything. I can't say anything, I wouldn't even if I could because I'd get it wrong anyway, but please trust me that the team is very aware of the reaction and are working very, very hard to align the game with what people want. There's no malice, no short-sightedness, no ill intention or misconceived ideas. Yes we "tested internally" and it went well, and some of us (me) went in blind to the changes and just thought it was harder. Now it's in a public beta to be more directly shaped by that public, which was the intention from the get-go. We absolutely get we have a severe bias playing the game; that's why it's in beta and we're making changes. The team's already made a few quick changes in what time they had on Friday, with way more on the way. Band-aid or not, it was mainly to shift the easiest items on the list, not even scratch them off as "done" but just to make some adjustment towards "normal" before the weekend.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

LuciferMorningstar posted:

...but basically saying "we really didn't bother coming up with a name for each of the perks, much less a general idea of what they should look like," sounds really negligent. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I really feel like a proper plan would have included a fairly clear explanation of what each perk should look like, to ease implementation when the time comes.

You are reading a lot into it; surprisingly a proper plan with names and descriptions as you've described is exactly what we have. "Name TBA" isn't basically saying anything other than we don't know which one (if either of those, could be a completely different one) we're going to push forward. There's basic ideas and some specific gameplay ideas, but the prototyping phase is to make sure what the idea is and where the fun is line up.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

closeted republican posted:

I love how that post reveals the moon logic Tripwire uses to balance the game.

Question: You want to buff an invisible enemy to make her more like the threat you imagined her to be. Do you:

A. Buff her damage and give her a back damage multiplier towards players. This encourages players to stay aware of her and to kill her early so that she doesn't get close and nick you in the back.

B. Increase her health so that she isn't so easily killed. That gives her a better chance at getting close to the player and wrecking havok on their lines.

C. Make the skinny and butt-naked 5 foot tall woman walk off everything except assault rifle rounds.

D. Both A and B.

If you picked A, B, or D, then you're a normal game developer. If you picked C, then Tripwire is interested in interviewing you for a job position for their gameplay division.

From a systems point of view B and C do the exact same thing only with C you have an out to give stalkers a weakness and a strength; if she takes X number of bullets to kill her it doesn't matter if that's from HP, resists, whatever, it's still X number of bullets to kill her. From an implementation point of view she was way too tanky and was too strong against too much but she got toned down a lot. The intention was B with thoughts towards A.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Well they did remove insult players for no reason.

Not for no reason; it just hasn't yet been added to KF2 due to other audio priorities, but we're looking into expanding on the voice commands right now.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

We mostly reverted the nerf to long game cash with the latest live update.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KumiBrKIdz4

Tripwire doesn't seem to understand what it means to "fix" Demolitions projectiles becoming duds and desyncing.

Sadly it was only a possible fix; we're seeing an improvement with it *overall* but there's still a bunch of factors we're checkin' into. Sorry you had a rough game; I'll pass this video along to add to the evidence pile and we'll keep picking at it. It's a pretty complex issue that's been on our radar a while that we've been poking at for a few patches (mainly, everything we touch that could possibly be causing it has been with this issue in mind) so hopefully we'll have it licked soon.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Skoll posted:

What's going on with your forums now? And will you guys make it so I can actually log in with my account?

I'm not sure on the exact specifics, but the gist of it is it's going through an upgrade that kicked off last week that should, ideally, make it easier to post. Not sure on what would've been causing your account to not log in with the older forums; if it's still happening it might be an account specific thing. That's happened to me with other websites before where the info just gets corrupted; you're still in the system so you can't re-register but you also can't get your password reset for whatever reason, and it's really frustrating. I'll figure out on Tuesday who I can bug about that and see if it's possible to get a manual password reset link. In the meantime please try logging in now and if it's still not working and you're willing, please pm me your e-mail address and no other account details and I'll see what I can do and keep you updated on what I find out.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

It's rare for enemies to block in the lower difficulties (and still not all that common in the upper ones), and when they do block, the blocks don't absorb a lot of damage (an extra bullet or light attack IIRC). We've also lowered their average TTK (time to kill, basically how long it takes to mow them down) anyway so it's the about the same time/ammo requirement. Same with evade; it's rare but when it happens it's almost always not the one you're aiming at but the ones flanking it, so you'll see a group of crawlers spread out if you blow the head off the lead one. These aren't designed to make fights last longer or make them more difficult, just make them more interesting while keeping similar kill times.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Skoll posted:

SWAT trip report :

So far I am actually enjoying it, it feels really satisfying. All the guns are gun, I love that they all have selective fire modes. My only real complaint so far right now is I wish the MP5 had an option for an RDS like all the other guns have. Other than that, I'm lv 3 and its fun.

Oh hey, did you ever get your forums account sorted out? The answer I got at the time was "can't do anything until it's all back up and running; we'll get captcha up soon, try that and see."

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

And thanks guys, glad I can help communicate stuff and get some decent feedback to pass along. What do you think of the new Trader? We swapped sides based on a lot of focus testing that had folks looking on the left for player inventory / right for shop (pretty standard in games) and coupled with the time limit was creating a lot of initial frustration and confusion, and more importantly it reduces mouse movement for common actions by a ton, esp. with the new dedicated Sell/Buy buttons.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around; been sick with strep. I'll try to address stuff that's come up but quoting is suuuuuuuuch a chooooooore so if I missed something please mention it and I'll get to it.

1. As a caveat to anything I say gameplay wise, I'd like to go ahead and say that sometimes what I know isn't 100% up to date, mainly due to the nature of what I'm working on vs what other folks are working on which is why I try to stick mainly with mentioning intent vs. what's actually in place. For instance, I mentioned blocking was short/rare, but at some point we upped the gorefast's blocking chance and duration as a balance measure, and of course we'll be looking at how that effects how fun/effective it is to fight him. Last I checked it should still be balanced around him blocking the equivalent of an extra bullet/hit in damage, so if his block mitigates, say, 10% of damage (as an example, not real numbers) then he'd hold his block for about 10 bullets' worth of time on average, but if he blocked 50% then he'd hold it up for 2 bullets' worth, if that makes sense. I'll check to make sure this is still the intent, and of course we'll keep looking at it.
2. As always we're looking at Hans; we wanted to make him more fun, not more of a slog. In fact reducing the slogginess of all the boss fights was a big priority, as we saw how long it took to get through matches and realized the time investment vs fun was off. If he's feeling like a slog now then that's definitely not the intention, and we'll approach bringing him back in line. Making him fast and dodgy was an idea to speed up the fight, so there's going to be an adjustment period while that gets dialed in.
3. For the Trader menu, I can't flip the mag/fill and sell buttons unfortunately; flipping their current positions was messing up a lot of people (both internally and through blind testing) because more folks identified with the current setup than having mag/fill be in the center and sell be on the far left. As well, blind testing showed new players caught on to the system a lot better with the current layout than having them flipped, most likely due to the action that moved each item to the other list being the one closest to that list (so sell being the closest to the Trader inventory, buy being closest to the player's inventory). I know it really sucks having something you have a lot of muscle memory dedicated to suddenly shifting on you, but the tradeoff is new players can understand buying/selling a lot quicker now which is going to be a huge boon come release, and it's better to get the change in now so folks can get used to it. This was the best balance we could strike between existing layout vs helping newbies, though we're going to keep iterating internally so if we find something even better we'll implement it, just that that particular solution didn't pan out all that well.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Luchadork posted:

Since you bring it up...personally I find the Gorefasts blocking to be a bit much right now. He's a twitchy enough bastard without him constantly blocking headshots. Bloats and Scrakes aren't nearly as annoying about it.

I don't even mind the dodging so much, what I hate is that he seems to be back to his removeplayer ways, where he's doing a lot of damage with his slash attack and he'll chase down someone until they're dead.

Oh, re: the Trader, is there anyway to change it so that when you sell a dual handgun, it doesn't re-shuffle your weapons? I have on more than one occasion gone to sell two duals (say, two 1911s) by clicking the Dual 1911 button twice in succession, but since it reshuffles the items the first click sells one 1911 and the second click sells a different item instead of the 2nd 1911 (often, a higher-tier weapon that I want to keep).

I passed along your gorefast and Hans feedback to a couple of folks on Friday. For the Trader, that's sadly a tricky one; I don't like making excuses for bad UI but from my understanding (I'm more designer than programmer) it's a side effect of how the core system works in order to make inventory changes (buy/sell) instantaneous. It is definitely on the list of annoying bugs that are just irritating enough to really notice but juuuuust minor enough to where the effort it would take to absolutely squash it immediately hasn't yet justified the dev time taken away from other, higher priority things. Then again, sometimes when I bring up "annoying bugs we wish we could fix" with Zane, our awesome UI programmer, over the course of the conversation or sometime after he'll come up with a brilliant and easy-to-implement solution, so later today I'll mention it again and see where it stands. Can't make any promises on a fix just yet, but trust me, it is definitely on the radar.

Skoll posted:

Hope you feel better soon, duder.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

When someone gets sick at the office is there that one rear end in a top hat that always makes a joke about them "turning?"

Section Z posted:

Strep throat sucks so bad. Making sure you stay healthy is a bigger deal than fielding nitpicks about video games, but thanks for sifting through the comments to chime in anyways.

Even so much as saying out loud "Hans can be pretty bullshit, oops" is a big change from prior commentary we'd get in and out of thread.

The old song and dance about internal testing and "give this thing everybody but the faux hardcore hate a chance!"" wearing the record down to a fine powder was as much the problem as the actual balance and bug issues.

Thanks, guys :) I bounced back pretty quick, and kept myself pretty isolated so luckily it didn't "spread" to anyone else. Folks pretty much stop making zombie jokes when they realize it's actually kind of dangerous having sick co-workers around, so now it's more common practice to just rag on people if they show up sick and even remotely contagious. My favorite story is walking through the office trying to get a paper towel for a sudden massive nosebleed and having all the horror movie junkies and gore aficionados I passed turn sheet-white upon seeing actual blood. I got sent home that day pretty drat quick.

As for internal testing, I gotta defend Questioner here as I know what he meant when he said that and I agree with the sentiment (and I'm not going to speak specifically about resistances, just about my own perspective on development in general). We do a lot of internal playtesting to iron out bugs and find the line of "do these changes accomplish our current goals and/or make headway with our current problems" but I firmly believe neither he nor anybody else in the company ever expresses that as an excuse for an unwelcome change sticking around, only an excuse for why things are the way they are currently and the reason we'd want to hold off on making further changes for a bit. When it comes down to "giving something a chance", it's not an indication that something is sticking around as-is forever; it's more that we want to shake out anything that could possibly be attributed to "it's different, I hate it" and get to the meat of the how and why of "this is actually not good" which is what we need to make informed decisions.

And yeah, it sucks when that's the case because that's 100% not what anybody (dev or player) wants to hear, but it's the bold-faced truth throughout all development: sometimes non-optimal stuff has to stick around for a bit so whatever problem it was attempting to solve, even if it's unseen by the userbase, can be solved better in the future. It's what truly sucks about feedback; sometimes you can't rely on common sense stuff because then you gloss over the "why" and "how" which is critical for better decisions in the future, and that's the part that takes a bit of time to process, even if it doesn't seem like it should. I feel with the current changes we've taken what we learned in that extra time and put it into better solutions for the game, and that info will continue to help inform and direct us in the future. And while I personally can't guarantee we'll always make the best decisions (I know I sure won't), I know we're always getting better at making decisions, and when we do make changes it's with the intent of making the game easier to actually play but more fun and fair-but-challenging to experience. Emphasis on eustress rather than distress.

So I know it's kind of poo poo to hear that when something feels unfun or broken, but really (and trying not to but kinda speaking for others) I feel that this is every dev's sentiment when we say stuff like that, and I'll do my best to make sure that's the takeaway in the future.

turnways fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Colosmicon posted:

uhhhh this tripwire staff list looks way shorter than when I last checked it

That's like not even a third of the people who work here; I wouldn't rely on that for anything staff related except to see some funny pictures we took one time.

Also Kevin Butt is a national Canadian treasure, y'all don't even know.

Just to be clear (gotta nip these things in the bud) we aren't anywhere close to running out of money or stretched too thin, we just had to lock things down to get the PS4 version through certification which takes a looooooot of lead time. We've also been doing a ton of cons and promotional stuff in the lead up to release, and working on some fun post-launch stuff, too.