Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I knew Darth Vader was an rear end in a top hat but man he's a really huge rear end in a top hat in this.

His comic and issue 2 of the main Star Wars series are some of the funniest poo poo I've ever read though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

This page is perfect in every way.

Hell, even this segment from Issue #4 of the main series got a good laugh from me.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

How about New Fressie?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, interesting query: What's Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm policy on re-introducing things/characters from the old EU? I'm not clamouring for the return of Kyp Durron or the Darksaber or anything, but stuff like Winter and Mara Jade and Wraith Squadron were cool ideas that would make neat books/comics/vidya games.

Is it a full-on "NO!" or a "You can have characters like them but you have to change the names and some details" or a "sure, if it fits our larger vision" situation?

The odds are very strong that Thrawn and Mara Jade at least survived the Great Canon Purge of 2014 based on this poster that was issued at this year's Celebration:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

redbackground posted:

Why don't you want Luke to be happy?

She's a better alternative than that Computer AI at least.

Well, maybe not.

"Han, Leia...I'd like you to meet my new girlfriend!" :pulls space-tablet out of his pocket:

To quote the big Let's Read megathread from a few years back:

"Stick it in my floppy drive, farmboy!"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

I think that Luke getting married at some point is important to demonstrate that all that stuff about Jedi not forming attachments is bullshit, and that the new Jedi Order works differently than the old one.

The other thing to keep in mind is that EU Luke's penis shoots misery. Every woman he made it with ended up dead or cursed in some fashion.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

Holy poo poo that looks loving terrible

Multiple people apparently thought it was a good idea to have Leia get sexually molested by a green lizard man. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

It gets better.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Davros1 posted:

No one outside of fandom knew who Rendar or Xixor were.

Unless you owned the N64 game.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Davros1 posted:

But those characters didn't permeate through the public conscious like Vader or Chewbacca or Yoda. Or even Jar Jar. Unless they were already Star Wars fans, mentioning Prince Xixor to anyone would only draw blank looks.

You know, I'll grant that in part.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah getting more action figures to paly with and a hyped up n64 game when you were a kid didn't amke one a star wars nerd. Seriously would you call someone who played Shadows of the empire and owned the action figures a nerd? Now knowing who Thrawn was made you a nerd.

To be fair, Thrawn also had an action figure.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VirtualStranger posted:

The ice cream maker guy from Cloud City got an action figure.

I'll grant that, but at least he actually appeared in a film, even if it was only for a split second.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Also, I've always found Cam Kennedy's art in Dark Empire to be pretty cool.

redbackground posted:

It's the best.

*twitching* You guys are *trying* to get a reaction out of me, aren't you?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So...uh...that payoff from Star Wars #6 and Vader #6.

Holy. poo poo.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Carteret posted:

I really, really loved how they tied that scene together from 2 different points of view, with 2 different artist's interpretations.

Brilliant move releasing both on the same day.

That and it was loving chilling.

edit: You could seriously feel the absolute rage radiating off Vader as he called Palpatine.

edit2: The Han's wife reveal was pretty awesome too.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 4, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

General Battuta posted:

What's the awesome thing that happened in the comics? I crave spoilers

I think it's safe to share this now.

edit: And that is why you should be reading it.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 5, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SirDan3k posted:

Rage is always better portrayed when it is silent. That is basically the last scene of the prequels except for a lack of "NOOOOOooooOOOOooOOOooOOoooo!"

It's basically what the last scene of RotS should have been. :sigh:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OhFunny posted:

Shattered Empire 1 released today and I enjoyed it. The art is good and I liked the main character. I'm really interested to see where things go from here.

It's some nice build up to explaining what's happened between RotJ and TFA. Obviously the main character is Oscar Isaac's mom, and loved Han's reaction to the dish getting knocked off the Falcon.

He said not a scratch.:colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

redbackground posted:

There was some of this during Dark Empire, too. Good stuff.

Please don't call Dark Empire "good stuff".

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of classic Marvel Star Wars, the new series will need to up its game to have a cover better than this one:

The new series needs to step up its game to compete with the issue where all the Looney Tunes gang up on Jaxxon the space rabbit.

I did not make a word of that up.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aw, it's just Goldenrod.

I was hoping they'd announced THRAWN #1

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SirDan3k posted:

You know C-3PO is going to have this reputation as the most sarcastic and sadistic droid ever created when this is all over.

I dunno, Triple Zero might still be the grand champion.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

wiegieman posted:

Hopefully Aphra is smart enough to tell Vader what he wants to know via a dead drop recording while she's 5 systems away.

Yeah....like that's gonna make a difference. Vader wants her gone, she'll be gone. Not to say that I'm not pulling for Aphra to get out of this, she might be my favourite new character from the Great Canon Purge. So far.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars or Dave Filoni Clone Wars?

I mean, I like them both a lot, but only one of them has Mace Windu punching out an entire army of battle droids.

Not really a spoiler because it happens right away, but Vader took out nearly 3 squadrons of starfighters by himself, including one of the more badass uses of the Force in space before he's finally forced to the planet.

Because he's Darth loving Vader.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, uh, Darth Vader #13.

How do I put this...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, if you enjoy all that crazy EU stuff, we have the old thread archived here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3296954

Or you can check out my archive of at least my stuff, and I think I'm gonna get around to updating it with the others soon: http://libraryforlorn.blogspot.ca/

Really, the only things most people wanted kept were Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn. Because so much of the EU ended up batshit.

Like the evil alien warlord who took an acid bath whenever he touched a human, then when he got really excited he popped his boner, but at the same time Luke was searching for his mother with some weirdo Force hippie chick, and Leia decided that the definition of "diplomacy" was to blow the poo poo out of anything...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is the recolouring in the Marvel omnibuses especially bad? I think I've seen some samples that didn't look great but I'm not sure whether they were from the omni.

No, the giant rabbit is supposed to be green.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn I'd seen SW comics that were all about minor background characters. But you're right the books did that all the time.

They did publish a lot of extreme background comics, like the stories about the Ancient Sith and stuff. I remember all those Sith Lords tombs you rob in the KOTOR games being from DHC Star Wars books.

Yeah, those comics weren't too bad, actually. Especially the Jedi Master who was literally a floating brain in a jar.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

cptn_dr posted:

Dark Empire is still pretty awful though.

...You're alright in my book.
:hfive:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

cptn_dr posted:

I've been introducing my friends to the fun that is Spliffy-P.

Have a higher quality version of him then!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there a debate about Dark Empire sucking? It's not just fact?

Dude when we did the Let's Read the Star Wars EU thread 5 years ago, I chose to lay into Dark Empire and its sequels. And holy gently caress did people get upset for a bit until I got to DE2, which is pretty universally reviled. Here's two choice comments about it.

quote:

Besides the art, which is highly stylized, I don't really see where your critique of Dark Empire is based. If you play the cynic card, every popular fiction work will look kind of stupid. It tells a good story, introduces new locations and characters, and (in my opinion) has a really nice art style, something far more ambitious than you would see in a SW comic today. Oh well, to each his own.

quote:

gently caress all of you loving bitches if you don't like Dark Empire!!!!!!! Granted many EU things are terrible but this really doesn't belong in the company of these other turds and the critique of it is very thin I'd say. The art is an acquired taste, but it certaily isn't terrible.

Yeah, I railed on the art quite a bit. Why? Because everyone ended up with a Bruce Campbell-esque chin, and, well, let's examine this picture of Leia:

Or how about this one of Chewie?

I believe I described it as "It's like Chewie got annoyed at Han, peeled off his face, and started wearing it like a mask!"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Edit: nm

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 27, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, until he actually showed up and kicked TIE rear end all over the place.

Pretty much this. Although I think Luke and Wedge are still tough acts to follow.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

bobkatt013 posted:

I liked Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I have a huge problem with it as I did with all the prequels. It makes the jedi's look really really stupid as they are hanging out with Palpatine acting obviously evil and corrupt,a nd they do not notice it. I thought they could sense the force and this powerful jedi is hiding under their nose. I know this is an issue that comes from the movies, but it one aspect of the comic that detracts from it.

They sort of addressed this in Darth Plagueis, implying that powerful Sith can use the Dark Side to cloak themselves from the Jedi. Hence Yoda commenting "Clouded by the Dark Side, everything is." Essentially, the Dark Side is in such ascendence, that it makes detecting a Sith akin to picking out the scent of one specific turd in a manure pile.

My metaphor got away from me and I apologize for it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Anywho, the conclusion of Vader Down...thoughts?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Here's hoping Aphra isn't in the Rebellion's hands too long. Or betrays Vader.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ImpAtom posted:

Poe is literally a more developed character and (shown onscreen) a better pilot than Wedge Antilles was in the films.

I will grant this, Wedge's badass status come mainly from the novels and being the only pilot shown to survive attack runs on two separate Death Stars.

Not to say I don't love Wedge.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So did anyone else find the artwork in this week's Star Wars to be a little...off?

And also, jesus Owen I get that you don't want Obi-Wan giving Luke stuff for something he's supposed to be grounded from, but to complain that you're the only one not being robbed by Jabba and raided by Tuskens is a loving dumb thing to bitch about. A simple "I don't particularly like you hanging around but...thanks for not letting us get murdered in our sleep." isn't much to ask.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dark Empire is also trash because it invalidates the climax of the whole Star Wars saga by having the Emperor come back from the dead and Luke turn to the Dark Side. Also the artwork is really ugly and terrible.

...You're all right, Gammatron.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
New issue of Darth Vader is out! And he's being a dick to Palpatine of all people. It's loving glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Sentinel Red posted:

Fixed that for you. He's really beginning to get into that Empire groove now, just gonna start sassing and choking every mofo who even looks at him funny.

Oh yeah. Although I half expected when Vader was leaving the throne room that Palpatine had called him back to CLEAN THIS CORPSE OFF MY FLOOR!

Also, what's the over/under on any of the other "replacements" surviving the war?