Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

As you have all no doubt heard by now, Disney's acquisition of LucasFilm, and with it the entire Star Wars brand, has been causing quite a bit of a stir lately. Probably the biggest news, next to the announcement of a new sequel trilogy of films and an undetermined number of potential future spinoff films, was the news that the entire Expanded Universe that has built up around the franchise over the past 35 years is being discarded completely. Every piece of Star Wars media made before 2015 that is not one of the six feature films or two CGI TV shows has been thrown out of the official continuity. Predictably, this has caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst the world's associated turbo-nerds and wookieepedia editors, but for most of the normal, casual fans of Star Wars, this is great news. For years now, apart from a small handful of good titles, the official continuity has been absolutely packed full of bland, uninspired, and often downright laughable garbage. Not only that, but the timeline during and after the original trilogy era became so cluttered and convoluted that any casual reader would have to sift through a mountain of Wookieepedia articles just to understand who some of these characters are or what the hell is going on. Ultimately, Disney didn't shell out billions for the Star Wars brand just to sit on it, and in order to grant future titles any amount of creative freedom, they decided to wipe the slate clean.

So what happens next? From now on, all future Star Wars comics will be published by that other recent high-profile Disney acquisition, Marvel Comics. All Star Wars comics published by Marvel starting in 2015 are now part of the new official continuity. This isn't actually the first time that marvel has published Star Wars material. Back in the early 80s, when Star Wars was still a brand new cultural phenomenon, Marvel handled the official tie-in comic for the films. These were market for kids and made with almost no oversight from Lucasfilm at all, often resulting in some content that seems bizarre and out-of-place today. Eventually, by the time that the Expanded Universe started getting big in the 90s and LucasFilm began taking an interest in keeping their official continuity in check, the license to publish Star Wars comics had moved over to Dark Horse. There it stayed for over two decades, until Star Wars and Marvel were once again reunited under Disney.

How have they been doing so far? I'll leave it up to you to determine the actual quality of the new titles for yourselves, but so far, sales numbers have been very encouraging. According to some sources, Star Wars #1 has become the highest-selling single issue in over twenty years. The launch of both Darth Vader and Princess Leia have also been pretty impressive as well. Time will tell if these numbers remain reasonably steady for future issues.

Star Wars
Writer - Jason Aaron
Artist - John Cassaday (#1-6) Simone Bianchi (#7) Stuart Immonen (#8-12)
Colorist - Laura Martin (#1-6) Justin Ponsor (#7-12)

The flagship series of the new Marvel launch, simply titled Star Wars. Beginning a short time after the destruction of the first Death Star near Yavin, the Rebel Alliance plans to use their victory to their advantage, launching several offensive attacks on Imperial targets across the galaxy. The crew of the Millennium Falcon are sent in disguise to destroy an Imperial weapons manufacturing facility, where a close encounter with Darth Vader leads Luke to begin to doubt himself and his abilities.

Darth Vader
Writer - Keiron Gillen
Artist - Salvador Larroca
Colorist - Edgar Delgado

After the destruction of the Death Star, Darth Vader must answer to the Emperor for his failure. Faced with a serious loss of prestige in the eyes of his master, Vader is sent by the Emperor on several degrading (to him) errands in order to fix the situation. But Vader has his own ambitions, and begins working in secret to amass his own resources, and uncover the identity of the Rebel pilot who destroyed the Death Star. This series occurs at the same time as, and runs directly parallel to the main Star Wars series above, with events in one series having an effect on the other, and vice versa.

Princess Leia
Writer - Mark Waid
Artist - Terry & Rachel Dodson
Colorist - Jordie Bellaire

A 5-issue miniseries, beginning slightly earlier than the two previous series, immediately after the medal ceremony at the end of A New Hope. The Rebels must quickly evacuate their base on Yavin IV before the empire comes back and finds them. Leia learns that the Empire has been hunting down the last surviving citizens of Alderaan, and sets out with a rebel pilot named Evaan to save as many as she can.

Kanan: The Last Padawan
Writer - Greg Weisman
Artist - Pepe Larraz
Colorist - David Curiel

This series follows the backstory of the Jedi Kanan Jarrus from the TV show Star Wars: Rebels, during a flashback to the end of the Clone Wars. Kanan is a 14-year-old padawan named Caleb Dune when Order 66 is issued and his master is killed. In order to survive, he must go into hiding alone, concealing his identity as the last of the Jedi are being hunted down.

Lando
Writer - Charles Soule
Artist - Alex Maleev
Colorist - Paul Mounts

A 5-issue miniseries that takes place before Lando's debut in The Empire Strikes Back, exploring the character's more roguish days prior to becoming the administrator of Cloud City. Accompanied by his cybernetic assistant Lobot, Lando will embark on a quest to steal a highly coveted starship.

Shattered Empire
Writer - Greg Rucka
Artist - Marco Checchetto
Colorist - Andres Mossa

A short 4-issue miniseries, set to debut in September. Shattered Empire is set immediately during and after the battle of Endor at the end of Return of the Jedi. This series mainly follows a Rebel pilot named Shara Bey and her husband Kes Dameron.

Chewbacca
Writer - Gary Duggan
Artist - Phil Noto

A five-issue miniseries. The series will begin publication in October. The story sees Chewbacca, the titular character, temporarily stranded on a planet during a mission for the Rebel Alliance. With the help of a friend, he comes into conflict with the Galactic Empire.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I just found out that John Cassaday will be leaving Star Wars after the end of the first arc in issue #6.

I don't think there's been any word on who's replacing him.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

His comic and issue 2 of the main Star Wars series are some of the funniest poo poo I've ever read though.

This page is perfect in every way.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

DV #1 begins after SW #3

It's impossible to tell the exact chronological order until every issue comes out, but so far the order goes:

SW #1
SW #2
SW #3
DV #1
SW #4
DV #2
DV #3
DV #4

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Princess Leia #3 is now out after having been delayed for two weeks.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

HIJK posted:

Besides, Luke is more interesting if he never does get together with a woman. He's the last Jedi, he has more important things to do than get married.

I think that Luke getting married at some point is important to demonstrate that all that stuff about Jedi not forming attachments is bullshit, and that the new Jedi Order works differently than the old one.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Holy poo poo that looks loving terrible

Multiple people apparently thought it was a good idea to have Leia get sexually molested by a green lizard man. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be fair, Thrawn also had an action figure.

The ice cream maker guy from Cloud City got an action figure.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Issue #2 of Kanan: The Last Padawan has been released.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Tensokuu posted:

Official word on Old Republic stuff is "its canon until it's not." Sounds like Disney has no plans for that era right now so they're only going to make things uncanon if it fits their new vision.
This is wrong.

"Are The Old Republic expansions canon?"
"No — BioWare “has created their own universe that is so fantastic,” we’re not going to change it, says Hidalgo."

The Lucasfilm Story Group has stated they have no plans to contradict anything set before Episode I yet, however they reserve the right to do so in the future.

The new canon is:

Ep. I, II, III, IV, V, VI,
The Clone Wars film and TV show
All Rebels episodes and short films
The new Marvel comics (and the Dark Horse miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)
The new novels A New Dawn, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, and Tarkin
Anything else published after September 2014.

If it was made before 2015 and it isn't on that list, it's not canon, period.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

So by anything published they mean anything right? Even say rules for a table top game?

Obviously, anything player-created doesn't count. Other than that, yes. The stuff in the RPGs are canon.

In fact, before the publication of the Thrawn Trilogy, the biggest source of Star Wars canon outside of the film came from the table top RPGs published by West End Games in the 80s. A lot of EU material after that referenced things that were established in those games. In many ways, West End created the old EU.

quote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Roleplaying_Game

The material produced by West End Games was one of the major sources of Expanded Universe material before the publication of Heir to the Empire in 1991 sparked new interest in Star Wars publications, and remained an important source of EU material afterward as well. Being one of the first sources giving numbers and data to the universe shown in the films, several of the statements given by the sourcebooks have been retconned or corrected to better reflect the films and Expanded Universe fiction. Among the best known corrections are the continuity issues involving the Super Star Destroyers and the "discovery" of the Mon Calamari by the Galactic Empire.

When Timothy Zahn was hired to write what became The Thrawn Trilogy, he was sent a box of West End Games Star Wars books and directed to base his novel on the background material presented within. After the novel trilogy's success, West End Games created a series of sourcebooks inspired by Zahn's work.

quote:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/West_End_Games

While all the supplements produced by West End Games are out of print, some of the information included in their sourcebooks and adventures was used as background material for the Expanded Universe novels and comics, and some of the writers for West End Games supplements went on to write for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game produced by Wizards of the Coast. Much as with Marvel Comics' Star Wars series, relatively obscure characters and settings from WEG supplements are frequently referenced in new Expanded Universe material by such authors as Abel G. Peña and Pablo Hidalgo (himself a former West End Games freelancer).

Lucasfilm's 2014 continuity policy change placed West End Games material under the Legends banner of Star Wars canon. Character and item statistics had always been considered non-canonical game mechanics.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Darth Vader #5 is out today.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

One thing I noticed about both SW and DV is that they both make heavy use of "widescreen" panels. In Darth Vader especially, at least half the pages are just a simple sequence of evenly-spaced rectangular panels that stretch nearly the entire width of the page. Star Wars also does this too, but to a slightly lesser extent. I think this is supposed to give off a very "cinematic" feel, almost as if someone took a sequence of still images from a film reel and laid them out evenly on the page.

Here are two pages from Darth Vader #1

And two pages from Star Wars #4

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 29, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

For comparison, here are production storyboards from the movies Spartacus, Blade Runner, and Inception

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 29, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

It kind of got missed in the discussion of SW and DV #6, but Princess Leia #4 and Kanan #3 were both released recently.

There is also a variant cover for the upcoming Shattered Empire.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

A new preview for Lando.

quote:

Before there was Cloud City, before he joined the Rebellion – there was just Lando. Trying to make his own way in an unfriendly galaxy with some swindles, some swagger and an irresistible smile. With his trusty companion Lobot at his side, he’s on a mission to steal one of the galaxy’s most valuable objects. But has he bitten off more than he can chew? The heist of the century kicks off this July when the can’t miss LANDO #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc7_KpPRyBs

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 17, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I thought the same thing and decided to give the series a try this month.

There is so much murder and neck snapping and just throwing bodies around.

:catstare:

Let's not forget that Clone Wars is a show where this happens.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

The fifth and final issue of Princess Leia was also released recently.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Kanan #004 has been released.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Darth Vader #8 and Lando #2 are out.

It was also announced at San Diego Comic-Con that Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen are going to be teaming up to create a crossover event between their two series, Star Wars and Darth Vader

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was pretty excited for all the new Star Wars titles at the beginning of the year but then had a lot of other stuff come up and forgot about them. Are any of the new Marvel series to be recommended/avoided? I was thinking I may wait to pick some up in trade when they get around to releasing them.

None of them are bad. Star Wars and Darth Vader are the must-reads. If you don't read anything else, read those two.

This is just a personal recommendation, but I would suggest that you read each issue of at least the first story arcs in both series in chronological order. Both series take place at the same time, and various plot points link both of them together.

Star Wars #1
Star Wars #2
Star Wars #3
Darth Vader #1
Star Wars #4
Darth Vader #2
Darth Vader #3
Darth Vader #4
Star Wars #5
Darth Vader #5
Star Wars #6
Darth Vader #6

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Speaking of which, Star Wars #8 will be released tomorrow. Along with it, Stuart Immonen will be taking over on art, and holy hell it looks amazing.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

zoux posted:

From an unlettered preview of SE #2.

Gotta say, some of the space battle art in the new SW books has been insanely good.

I'm kind of disappointed that this is only 4 issues. What I've seen so far make me think that would be a good ongoing series.

Endless Mike posted:

Lucasfilm had a person whose job was just that. I'd be very surprised if they fired him after the acquisition.

His name is Leland Chee and he is still working with Lucasfilm.

"After The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Lucasfilm, Chee was assigned a job within the newly formed Lucasfilm Story Group, whose main purpose is to eliminate the Star Wars franchise's current canon hierarchy and create one cohesive canon"

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

zoux posted:

Interview with Noto about the upcoming Chewbacca mini.

It's five issues, takes place between IV and V and is described as a "Star Wars western".

Guess who's also getting his own mini?

:allears:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Look out for this Wednesday, October 7.

Star Wars #10, Darth Vader #10, Lando #5, and Shattered Empire #2 are all scheduled to release on the same day.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

There's not that many, and none are particularly good, I understand. (Because they are Star Wars books.)

I've heard that the new novel Lost Stars is pretty good. I've seen some reviews call it one of the the best Star Wars novels ever written. (not that that's a very high bar to clear, but still.)

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I want an ongoing about whatever Ahsokha was doing in the 15 years between Clone Wars and Rebels. She is potentially very interesting as a character who sensed some of the flaws in the Jedi Order before their destruction, and left the order on her own. She's also a character who has a very personal connection to Vader, but doesn't become a hermit like Obi-Wan and Yoda, and also has extensive involvement in the early rebellion.

I believe I read somewhere that long-term plans for Clone Wars had it not been cancelled likely would have involved many plot arcs featuring her character on her own, eventually going past Revenge of the Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

The 3d Clone Wars is canon, as is Rebels. Tartakovski's was literally made not-canon even before episode 3 came out, because it differed in power scope too much for lucasfilm's liking.

And yet, The Force Unleashed was allowed to remain canon all the way up until the Disney purge, even though the power scope in that was ridiculous and the plot took a huge poo poo all over the original trilogy.