Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I don't. At the end, it was nothing but misery with him. He needs to figure out his life in very serious terms because he wasn't in a good enough place to continue doing radio. And while the flipouts were funny in many ways, it wasn't funny all the time. The Bennington show makes me laugh and I can enjoy listening for a while. But Fez....at the end, even with the BL stuff, was just bringing me down.

Yeah, I agree. By the time Fez retired, the schtick was well and truly played out, and there was definitely no hope for it ever to get better. I used to find it really funny whenever new guests found out about Fez's weirdness, but even that began to get stale over the last year or so ("Have you tried Gindr?"). If I'm ever in need of hearing Fez freakouts, there's almost a decades-worth of those shows archived. I can only imagine how happy and relieved Ron is that he's finally free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I just hope we get some closure on Shelbo. It's too bad he's not starting with the show now that it's more lighthearted and silly - he would have done much better without the relentless Fez and Ron beatdowns.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Why on earth is Jim sitting in some scrub seat?

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Also it seemed to me that Ron legitimately disliked ol' Shelbo. He was a relentlessly royal prick to him, with zero humour. At least when Ron bullied Earl he was occasionally funny about it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

blackmarketlimb posted:

What I miss about Ron and Fez is loving with Earl. Earl was like the perfect loving person to troll.

You'll love this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrP9FwEHrIQ

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

CQ described Jimmy most accurately when he called him a "ludicrous goblin".

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Time for Black Earl to dust off the can of Febreze and make a triumphant return to the airwaves.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Saw all the new posts, thought the Big Cat had finally gone off to the big Niagara Falls in the sky. Phew.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Listening to this wildly uncomfortable, frustrating fight now. Arguing with Opie is like arguing with a little kid - he's constantly moving goalposts and missing points. It will be interesting to see where the show goes from here.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I loved Opie's reason for why he doesn't find Uncle Paul funny: "it's creepy and weird". Well................ yes. The rest of us don't think it's wholesome and normal.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Jesus gently caress is this demented Lady Di phone call depressing. I was so relieved when it became apparent that she at least still remembered Opie and Jimmy.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Then again, Ant was going to get himself fired for his racism eventually.

I still remember listening in horror as he unironically, passionately expounded on the science of eugenics in 2014 (AD). Was not shocked in the slightest when he finally copped it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Alrighhht, see.....

/Ronnie B voice

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Is this the little basement Jewish restaurant with cheesy lounge singer of legend?

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

My favourite Opie thing is from back in the instant feedback days when he'd say a mildly funny line, bask in the laughter for a moment, and then say "....Kevin from Connecticut". He was using lines from listeners to trick the room into giving him laughs.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

According to the reddit investigation unit, Ant is currently a guest of the Nassau County Police Department: https://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/3xk33f/anthony_is_in_the_custody_of_the_nassau_county/

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I love that little moron. One of his finest moments was on a similar topic - when he was threatened with being kicked off the show, and declared that he would be back, even if he had to be "reduced to Ron & Fez".

ozza fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 20, 2015

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

This really is the show that keeps on giving. I really want to hear Ronnie B's take.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Billy the Mountain posted:

You ever seen a career just come apart like that?

The pendulum's swinging back the other way.

Yeeeeeeeeees

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

AndrewP posted:

That would mean I would be paying Anthony Cumia, no thanks.

I must have missed this, what was the non-professional response to Ron?

Keith the Cop took to social media and began blabbing on as if the deal was in the bag and the show already existed. He even made a terrible logo that seems to have now vanished from Twitter.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Chromatic posted:

I think it was actually a fan-made logo that Keith took and slopped all over twitter.

That logo was actually pretty sweet and I imagine this show would have been amazing 10 years ago before Anthony's racism.

Eh, I thought it looks hack - the faux grungy look, the suits, the 1/3 sized Ronnie B.... I agree that it would have been a good show if they'd done it a few years ago, though.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Reminder that Ronnie B, for all his good taste, turned down the chance to be in The Wire and has never watched it.

What's the story behind this?

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

It's the lousy attempt to save the original design by enclosing it in that Gilette for Women looking microphone that is the most disgusting. If he'd just rolled with the jokes about the bad KKTITN tattoo and told everyone to go gently caress themsleves it would have all been fine. Instead he took obvious great personal offense and then made shoddy attempt after shoddy attempt at "fixing" the design. Ah, Jesus Joe.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

All this Eagles talk has reminded me of one of the greatest breaks of all Ron & Fez: Ronnie B and Chris Pepper Hicks Stanley discussing Joe Walsh's 'Analog Man'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6TZ3eNMBI

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

To say one positive about Jim's cartoon, the animation is better than I expected. I truly thought it was going to be CokeLogic level or worse.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Video from Ant's Neil deGrasse Tyson interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RkyZvrHgOw

The sputterin' mutterin' Bobo question (at 42:40) and ensuing five minutes of gormless expression video insert is superb.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

There's a guy who can deal with being criticised and made fun of. Everyone involved with the O/A/J shows, take note.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Bobo has been installed as a moderator of the reddit O&A page. I cannot help but think that this will end very poorly for the man.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Hilarious. That line was one of the funniest things ever said in that studio.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

High tech computer simulated composite of the Anthony Cumia Show audience:

(on right, obviously)

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Speaking of Bobo,

I take it back. Bobo is smarter than the average Cumia Show audience member.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Truly this is the show that keeps on giving.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Nary a joke to be had in Jim's cartoon. The voices also feel off, which is odd. I take back what I said before about the animation itself being not as bad as I expected, too - this is truly horrendous. How did Jim find that terrible animation company? I assume it's a show fan connection, because with 40k he should have easily been able to find a decent animator.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I wonder why Hilary persists in running on that Muslims killing Christians platform

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Gays running rampant.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Somewhere in a multi-million dollar apartment up in the Manhattan clouds, the Opster is breathing the greatest sigh of relief ever sighed by mankind.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Keg posted:

Maybe Ant gets drunk and posts rants on there fer the...fer the show.

I'd legit rather listen to a solo Bobo call in show than O A or J these days. This is either an indictment on O A & J or praise for Bobo. Most likely both.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

That pendulum has sure come swinging back the other way.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

He really does need someone to go and tackle him away from the keyboard. Looks like he's currently going through and replying to all the anti-Ant threads on there. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

It's a massive shame that he isn't on the "comic God" tier in the public's eyes. Not only is he funny but he comes across as a genuinely good human being, which can't be said for all the rest of the O&A comics / hosts / fans.

• Locked thread