Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm stoked for a mad max game of car combats and barehand batman fights in the desert. such a shame this game will be loving destroyed in sales since it had the hilarious misfortune of announcing it will release on the same day as MGS5 aka "Kojim'a Swan Song"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Knowing that this game is in the hands of Avalanche gives me a lot of optimism. Their recent video on Just Cause 3 basically was developers saying "we just want to make stupid grandiose fun" and if that's applied to Mad Max it's going to be great. Just Cause 2 was all about "let me destroy everything and crash into everywhere"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

It turns out the main/JC2 team is working on Mad Max while JC3 is a secondary team within Avalanche. Whether that's ultimately important will have to be seen.

I guess it also should be said that Warner Bros studios is bringing over their "arkham combat" to this game, too. Some people I guess can't stand that poo poo but I'd be cool with a heavier, even more brutal version of that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game having framerate issues--especially in a game where you're loving driving all the time--is not a good sign. I couldn't even loving stand the FPS that Witcher 3 on PS4 sometimes struggles to do so there's no goddamn way I'm putting up with that poo poo. Other than that I'm hoping the trailers just suck and the game is more fun than it looks...but like I said, releasing same date as MGS5 was hilariously bad and now it has to live in the shadow of the movie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

give me batman but with brutal desperate jockos and a batmobile combat aspect that looks actually fun and I'll be satisfied

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

to be fair comparing any open world game with what Just Cause 3 is aiming to be is hilariously unfair. not sure anything, even MGS5, Fallout 4, or Batman can touch the kind of raw chaos and physics-based fuckery JC3 is, and that's ok because it's a different kind of game. JC is based on an island lush with poo poo to dismantle, Mad Max is based around one kind of locomotion in a desolate shitscape. Makes it sound more boring in comparison but yeah, everything is bound to sound boring next to "I'm in a wingsuit, then a parachute, now I'm skydiving into a nuke that is tethered to the statue it's blowing up"

tbh I like having it carry over the Batman combat too since it will basically be a more brutal version of that

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Half of Avalanche got split for this and Squeenix's JC3 and I'm sure that one won't piecemeal your content as bad as whatever WB does. kind of sucks that PC owners will be sticking their dick in a hornet's next if they get a WB game in 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

warner bros is too busy trying to salvage batman from the rubble and readying more bullshit dlc skin packs to bother showing off mad max. shame because if it was up to avalanche alone, we'd probably see tons of fun poo poo, much like the stuff we get about JC3.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe it's just me but the popin for stuff on the ground is embarrassing. it's a desert of nothing yet poo poo is just constantly popping up as you drive

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I guess my pessimism is in the toilet level now after wb hosed arkham knight and the ubisoft style stuff they've shown. I want to be totally wrong because i'd love something better than what Rage offered with the batman combat and exploding cars.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quiet Python posted:

I did not catch all of it, but I saw this much:

Max can travel to survivor strongholds and do side missions for them. The one they showed was Max rescuing a guy who knows how to make shotgun ammo from a gang of slavers. After returning the ammo-maker to the stronghold where he got the mission, Max used something called a "project part" that he had picked up at a warboy camp. This let him build a lab for the ammo-maker that allowed him to refill Max's shotgun ammo whenever Max visited that stronghold. This perk had a cooldown so that you couldn't just keep getting ammo by walking in and out of the stronghold.

Combat is freeflow, and looks very brutal. Suplexing a guy onto his head, pinning him against a wall and pounding his gut, grabbing a club or thunderpoon and using it on anyone who gets in your way. There are also shivs that do heavy damage to stunned enemies, but you can only carry a limited amount. Max also has a shoulder tackle that can send enemies flying into walls or off of ledges.

As you level up, you unlock new stuff for Max and his car. One of the things they did during the stream was keep unlocking longer beards for Max. Attaching stuff like ramming grills and spikes to your car provides more combat options, but makes it slower and harder to control. You can unlock new car types by finding junked chassis in the desert, stealing cars from enemies, or winning races called Death Runs.

Max had to look for opportunities to get food and water during the livestream, which was needed to heal combat damage. There are people wandering the desert that you can stop and give water to. Sometimes, they mark things on your map that you can't find any other way. Sometimes they just take the water and keep going.

Late in the demo, Max and his blackfinger companion Chumbucket traveled to a new stronghold and had to take down a warboy base to unlock more missions. Max used a sniper rifle to eliminate spotters on the towers, then destroyed the perimeter defenses with the harpoon gun and finally crashed through the front gates of the base in his car. He had to work his way up to the top of the tallest tower, fighting warboys until he reached the top and faced the Top Dog in a boss battle.

I missed the first part of the stream, so hopefully someone else recorded it.

thanks for this writeup, game actually sounding really loving now. might just preorder this along with MGSV now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty cool new "choose your own thing" trailer from IGN. One of the choices involves heading into the Fury Road "edge of forever" storm wherein it's total chaos, which looks loving sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ma648hH0po

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the witcher 3 is kind of a huge checklist of checklists but did everything excellent so it doesn't matter. most open world games become things to check off. it all depends if it's interesting poo poo like The Witcher or useless garbage collectable crap like Asscreed

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

have this preordered and while the insane deals are suspect, the fact that Avalanche has a heavy hand in this is enough to counter the stinklines of WB. Avalanche at least historically has a degree of loving pride in their work and did wonders with the PC version of JC2.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looks like the mixed reviews are enough to gauge that "you like it or you don't." pretty funny the worst review came from a site that gave arkham knight 10/10 and wrote the most sparse and worthless piece ever. I had ordered dis and MGSV so when I'm ready to pause the stealth game I can roll right into explosive madness game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tunahead posted:

Open world fatigue. If I'd played every Assassin's Creed since Brotherhood for a living, I'd probably be sick of the whole genre too. But luckily I haven't, and therefore Mad Max is loving awesome! :toot:

not only that but to deliver a review in a strict time limit. i'm surprised that given the timespan and short leash people have for reviews now they can enjoy even playing a game at all.

how is the soundtrack to the game? not expecting Brothers In Arms level concertos here but I was hoping the score would evoke similar themes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've never even heard of the reviewer and he barely loving writes anything, negative from the start. Probably the worst loving review I've read this year.

I get the feeling most reviewers are just burnt out on frantically reviewing another open world game and it shows. Either that or the crunch to do like 70 hours of this and MGS hosed with people. Isn't the Steam Review consensus overwhelmingly positive? Everyone who isn't a Game Review Site Person I've talked to has said this is fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Every mid- to big-name title, with the exception of the truly awful ones, tends to get a wave of positivity from the early adopters because they were the people champing at the bit to play it anyway. Neither group is a reliable indicator of overall quality.

tbh I stopped relying on reviews for definitive impressions after Zelda Skyward Sword got like perfect scores from every site

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played a little of this after mgsV last night. having fun so far, cannot fathom why it got poo poo on by a few big sites but I feel the playerbase opinion will win out since it's so different from other open world checklist thingies. I like how much on the car you can upgrade and tinker with, though part of me is afraid I'll get to that "uber god" point like in Mordor where everything was way, way too easy.

Right now of course it's different and I love how the combat on foot is weighty, frantic, and heavy. Only takes a few hits to gently caress you up and the counters feel less forgiving than Batman does. The car driving is a blast, especially when you go into 1st person; driving through the first base and all the flaming traps and poo poo from that perspective was loving cool. I'm wondering if that dust storm that kicked up afterwards was random, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KakerMix posted:

I bet in a month's time we'll have more people talking about how Metal Gear was overhyped and not as good as everyone said rather than people saying that about this game. I don't know if there is anyone in the Metal Gear thread mocking goons for hyperbole like this one though.

man that's a pretty bad bet

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

let's be honest though, as soon as JC3 comes out this will be forgotten pretty fast

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Why doesn't this game straight tell you you can play the game with the filters/fov/depth of field and everything else from the screenshot menu?

Now I can play the game to make it look exactly like the movie :perfect:

wait, really? where the hell is this?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You setup all your filters like for a screenshot, then choose start session like to record a video. There it says record a video OR simply play the game with your custom filters.

I thought it would automatically record a video like in GTA but it doesn't so you can simply play.

GOTY

e: it does tend to reset itself when loading views though. If only there was a way to make this permanent

lol it sounds almost like it's a glitch or something that carries over but man that's awesome, I can't wait to try that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The menu does say "play with your filters" though.

A second player with another controller can even play the movie director and control a lot of stuff.

oh man this is great. I can't wait to play demented movie director while my girlfriend tries to pilot a cash for clunkers car down a mountain

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man there are a few fights I just kept getting my rear end kicked in, maybe I need to upgrade my poo poo. the fighting is way heavier and you're not batman, so warboys can react fast and the window for a counter if you are in animation for a punch already means you're hosed. Some early game base had like 7 of them, 2 with weapons, then another 3 or 4 come running in from nowhere and I just get mauled to death. aggravating but I kind of like that there's no kid gloves with it even if it follows the typical WB Games combat formula.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

kind of sucks that I need to level up just to change my appearance. not like even jackets, just my beard and hair. that's my biggest complaint. but my second biggest complaint is that useless loving "jump." What the hell is that for????

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

It can be used to hop over some short obstacles, get up on slightly higher areas, etc. It's not really useless, it's just not a major part of gameplay. I use it to hop onto stuff and peek over walls/rocks with my binoculars, or to wander around on the roofs of War Boy camps looking for the scrap I haven't found yet. It's really frustrating if you expect to be able to parkour around like in other games, but once you realize it's mostly there as a means of surmounting knee-height obstacles and a "poo poo, I got stuck behind a garbage can somehow" get-out-of-cluttered-corners button, you stop trying to use it on everything, and stop noticing it so much.

just a huge peeve of mine when there's poo poo in any game you could obviously climb but can't. it's 2015 and there's still "here's a dedicated 4-foot wall you can climb over but a non-context sensitive 2 foot one is unscaleable" It's not going to be parkour or nothin' but it feels like I get gated in places to go around things.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

WB Games didn't give Polygon, et. al a nice bundle of cash and free goodies like they did with Arkham Knight.

I know this is bitter hyperbole but can't help but think this explains why Arkham Knight got a hilariously overblown 10/10 with the most nondescript blowjob of a review I've ever read

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Well this game did good sales wise, right? There's always room for Mad Max games to grow now that its done well despite going up against another game that was going to be a hit despite all that was stripped down from it to save on costs.

At most Archangels are just stylistic designs that can't surpass you just putting what you want on the Magnum Opus and driving how you want. They're fittings that Chump dreamed up before he had a V8 in his hands.

going up against MGSV didn't do it many favors but it's probably more telling that WB will likely go on to do Mordor 2 and Avalanche will likely be supporting Just Cause, so it'll be a while before anymore Mad Max stuff crops back up. That being said, with how god the movie was and how adequate the game is, it's a god start for more cool poo poo in the long run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've put this game off for weeks at a time due to just playing Rocket League / MGSV / Destiny but coming back to it every time makes me appreciate it more. It's like the brutal version of Batman stripped down to its skeleton, with a more fun Batmobile and more grueling combat. I like how I really can't mash poo poo and jump around like Batman; you're very mortal and every punch has weight to it so you can't just tap Triangle and counter immediately mid-hit. I'm still not THAT far in, only just met Pink Eye, but combat is quite challenging and I get destroyed if I flail around versus a huge pack of assholes. Of the "Arkham"-likes I've played this one def has the toughest combat scenarios when you fight a diverse pack of warriors.

Also really like the big bases that feel more like sprawling dungeons as you nervously scale up trash towers or down into dank mines. Feels like a very basic but harrowing Zelda scenario that replaces keys with gas cans to blow up those tanks. There's a lot of checklist poo poo in the game for sure but I wouldn't compare this to a Ubisoft game at all; it's very much resigned to its basic essence and feels like a very "retro" game because of that simplicity.

I only just found out yesterday I can put the UI on in the "video filter" mode; I didn't use it before because I assumed it meant I'd be blind without a map and poo poo but now the game is so much cooler. Some of the filters really make the colors pop out, especially at dusk. It's such a pretty world of garbage and woe.

• Locked thread