Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So hey is it just me or is there mouse acceleration that you can't turn off in this? Since it's brand new the only thing I've found relating to it is a blind download off some whack-rear end youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Game owns and is a ton of fun. The one thing I would like is the ability to turn in a car you already have for scrap.
Yes I know I have this scout already in my garage I'd like to turn this into scrap please.

Also I m staring at a functioning V8 soooo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The screenshot feature built in the game is rad, but it doesn't capture glorious 3400x1440, it cuts the sides off! I can play the game no problem but when I try to use the fancy screenshot capture thing I have to slice my sides off.
:mad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This game owns, people who don't have it yet will get it and go "wow this game owns" and the dude who wants a rusted F-16 to fly bought the wrong game.
If you don't like Mad Max or sand or cars you probably won't like this game.

I bet in a month's time we'll have more people talking about how Metal Gear was overhyped and not as good as everyone said rather than people saying that about this game. I don't know if there is anyone in the Metal Gear thread mocking goons for hyperbole like this one though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Noam Chomsky posted:

This is an incredibly stupid criticism to leverage against these sorts of games at this point. This is a new genre of game. Continuing to make these criticisms is like saying Halo is poo poo because it cribs too much from Doom since both are FPS games.

I remember a time when everything was a "doom clone" before there was such a thing as an "FPS" genre

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I dislike the Xbone controller very much, and my 360 one stick drifts like a mofo so instead I use a PS4 controller for driving and switch to KB/mouse when I'm on foot. This is how I've played GTAs and it will be how I play these sorts of games in the future. :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Beat the game, took me 50 hours ( I wasn't mainlining the plot at all and worked to unlock every part for the car) and the only part that felt like a chore was the minefields with Chum's buggy and the dog. Why can't I take the dog INSTEAD of Chum in the Magnum Opus? Driving that stupid buggy around when I have a golden supercharged V8 hellbeast of a rig is a crime. For those of you that would say 'ignore the minefields' you need to get to zero percent Scrotus influence in some territories to unlock cool things for your car and minefields count toward that percentage.

A few things feel like they weren't developed and changed partway through the development. Mostly the buggy, the dog, fuel as a resource and the other vehicles. And to echo what lots of other people are sating, a New Game+ or endless convoys or *something* because while you can play after you beat the game there isn't much else to do. Unlocking things for your car means clearing out enemies which mean less of them around which to use your car against.

This game was fatastic and I enjoyed it very much, and I didn't expect to.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PantsOptional posted:

Without spoiling anything, simple yes or no: does the game ever give you any information on what the Colossus is supposed to be? I tried looking online to figure it out and maybe get a sense for any real world correlation but came up with nothing.

No.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
So after I beat the game I went and got a trainer, turned on infinite health and went out to see what the Big Nothing had to offer. Turns out that the stormy area you hit when you go into the big nothing isn't infinite. I don't know if the pain field is as I was using a trainer to make myself invincible.

Found this place south west

It's a testing area. You can press the buttons on these people-like structures and different things will happen. One of them summons every melee weapon in the game, another one cycles various other button structures that will spawn different enemies including a couple boss enemies but seems to be missing a few.

Nearby there is also some other obviously-testing type areas that seems to be a part of a tutorial that never materialized. Outside of that I found the true end of the world south, west and north. Nothing of interest at all. I'll probably explore more because (late game spoiler) I want to find the area where you fight Lord Scrotus on his giant truck thing, I seem to remember it was a unique area for that mission specifically and these type of open-world games always seem to have to have those locations in the single world. Usually.

Rest of the shots I took are here, the most interesting area is the testing zone.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/KakerMix/screenshots/?appid=234140&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=grid

Kamikaze Raider posted:

There is NO WAY to restart a race that's lost. If you want to restart the race, you either have to die, wait for the race timer to run out, or restart back to the title screen and then fast travel back.

Just get out of your car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
It's not looking good for mods. One, the game is overshadowed by Metal Gear and two, it has some form of DRM that's a pain in the rear end and does weird file protection poo poo.

:(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The discrepancy between Batman and Mad Max when it comes to critical reviews says it all. Batman was praised, and then taken off the market because it was that broken.

You can't make this stuff up, that's what actually happened. Basically video game critics that aren't some unpopular chump on youtube aren't real critiques.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Valliantstu posted:

Oh my god, who designed it that if you accidently start a new game it destroys your autosave. 20 hours gone with no way to get it back.

Floppychop posted:

I almost accidentally started a new game.

I stopped when it had the "Starting a new game will erase your autosave data. Continue?" prompt.

You can select a different autosave slot in the options menu. Whatever save you are on will use that save slot, allowing something like 10? Maybe? I have 3 saves right now that only overwrite themselves.
The game doesn't tell you this at all but that's how it works.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Mad Max is such a good universe. Game owns, re-watched Fury Road and man it's so good.
To the guy that hasn't ever seen a Mad Max movie you owe it to yourself to watch Fury Road. The movies and game aren't connected in any sort of arc they just sort of share aspects with each other and the overall universe.
Fury Road is an instant classic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rudager posted:

I didn't like the car handling initially, but I changed my mind when I remembered these cars are pieces of poo poo cobbled together with whatever bits of scrap is lying around with no considerations given to things like balance and weight distribution.

Also on sand or sandy roads most of the time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

texasmed posted:

Yeah Max is a huge cockhole and its rather cringeworthy to play through the story, but its fun to snap necks and blow up cars.

I do wonder where all the fresh corpses come from.

Same places that burning torches and candles and things come from in areas that shouldn't have anyone in them in years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Xenomrph posted:

I thought the game did a pretty good job of making him extremely helpful to those around him, seeing as how he singlehandedly kills hundreds of people, blows up dozens of cars, dismantles dozens of war camps, liberates multiple sectors, and supports several arguably benevolent leaders (and furnishes up their strongholds just cuz - no really, to fully fix up each stronghold you have to donate 3000 scrap out of your own pocket, for no tangible in-game benefit; not even an achievement or anything).

He may say he's just in it for the V8, but along the way he gets sidetracked into being a one-man revolutionary army. Then again the game *is* made by the people who made the Just Cause games... v:v:v

The other part was every camp you go to is filled with Scrotus or Buzzards or ________ enemies, the only 'innocent' people you find out in the wastes are the little contact missions where the person tells you about the world, you share some loot, or the people who want water. Everyone else in the wasteland is a not-recycling jerk.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Capn Beeb posted:

I have a super basic grasp of how cheat engine works, mostly searching and adjusting values to get more stuff :( There's got to be a way to flip the story/danger level of areas flags on upgrades, though.

Found this table that handles legend levels, though.

Found the guys over at cheathappens talking about loving with Mad Max

cheathappens dev posted:

nope...we've looked at this game up and down. the game uses a combination of LUA scripting and some string loop functions to store data haphazardly and to stay in touch with alot of the game variables and data. While I can access certain things (like griffin, etc.) by doing searches for memory changes, the problem comes in isolating it in a segment of game code. Right now we have hours and hours of reversing in this game, and most of the options that can be achieved by most trainer makers has been done at this point. If you notice not much new has been added by any of us since the initial releases, and this is because of the way the data is stored, and retrieved in memory.

Looking around this is the same thing that's going to choke modding out of the game unless people get *real* dedicated. A few simple mods would add so much but it doesn't look likely.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

UntilYouAreSoNude posted:

I kind of look at it from the viewpoint of 'who's in charge of these lands?'. Whereas Immortan Joe is still a crazy weirdo with his own aesthetic, there's also more of a sense of order to his territory. He's stingy with it, but he does provide water to people outside of his army, and he's more of an inspirational figure. In contrast, Scrotus is fullblown nutso and it feels like the war boys under his command would be all the more massacre-y than anyone serving under Joe's command.

Scrotus was normalish and respected by his underlings before Max wedged the chainsaw in his head. After that he went insane. :eng101:
I've got nothing on the top dogs or the dancing knife guy though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Parkingtigers posted:

Knowing that something happened, and showing that it happened, are two different things. It has been explained, at length, how the comics undo what is shown in the movie by turning Furiosa and the wives into different people with different motivations. The movie is universally praised for its depiction of women, the comic... well it's the opposite.

It's also a comic and will be ignored in the ~cannon~ of the universe anyway, no matter how many times Miller's name appears as a consultant or whatever he did with it. This is convenient because trying to rope all the movies together into some sort of coherent timeline is impossible anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

gibbed posted:

Yes, I'm slowly working on tools when I have free time. Much research has currently been going into the scripting engine.

Oh man you're back. :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pound_Coin posted:

What in the sweet gently caress is going on in that forum your title links to? is that Seraph the "pleb-scrub" guy from here?

Also, I've nearly 100%'d this game, and the lack of hostile cars to murder once all your area threats are at 0 is making me sad.

Yeah he bought an avatar for me but kept the old picture so?
I never read what it linked to because lol bitcoin star citizen idiot

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I hope so, this game desperately needs modding. I was hoping it would hit before Fallout 4 but alas~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I used the keyboard when on foot and the controller when in the cars, much like Grand Theft Auto on the PC this is the truest way to play.

• Locked thread