Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

A high Minimum wage is a bad policy, we should have a low minimum wage and generous EITC. We want people to find employment and we want them to receive a more money.

Why do you want the government to subsidize low-wage jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

Because I want people who are unemployed to find work and I want those people to get a decent amount of income as well.

Sounds like a recipe for inflation and out of control budget deficits imo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

hahaha you sure about that? I know at least 5 businesses that would nuke their labor force to bring profits back up. IF you're paid $15 an hour you're going to be expected to do the world of 1.50

congrats you know 5 poorly run businesses

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Hey look raising the mimum wage is fine, but $15 bucks an hour? Nah, get out.

Is there some specific number we absolutely cannot raise the minimum wage above?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Yes. 7.75 has been said to be the healthiest wage for a low wage earner, but we'd have to actually have an economy to make that work.

Said by who, besides forums poster and labor economist LeoMarr?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

A higher minimum wage means less people will be employed.

Does it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Foma posted:

I am pretty a majority of Economists would say a higher minimum wage leads to less jobs.

If you're pretty sure maybe you could post some proof, or a survey, or some data.

I'm pretty sure a majority of industrial workers long for full communism.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

thehomemaster posted:

Some itneresting pointers on issues around minimum wage:

http://marginalrevolution.com/?s=minimum+wage

Lmao yeah let me listen to some George Mason economics professors about literally anything.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ervin K posted:

$15 an hour is ridiculous. I've made minimum wage most of my young life (which was $10.50 CAD where I live), and that was more than reasonable considering the work I did was extremely simple and required no education or training. Also, at the time finding a job was much harder than putting up with the low pay. Now that I recently finished my education I'm making around $14 an hour, and the idea that some teenager can get a zero-skill job and start getting paid more than I did after years of studying is absurd. If you want to get paid more, go to school, get promoted, or get a job with hazard pay. Otherwise, consume less. Raising the minimum to $15 for work that any stupid teenager can do is just going to make everything really expensive for everyone else and make it even harder for uneducated people to get jobs. You're not going to transfer wealth from the rich to the poor this way, all this will accomplish is expand the lower class and raise the poverty line.

Your guts are loving retarded. That's pretty much all the reply this deserves.

There's a lot to unpack in this post but I'm not quite sure I'm qualified.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why EITC though? Why not just mincome? Why make it conditional upon a company being willing to sign off that you did work on a form, make-work or no?

Think about the value equation when you're basically saying that a company can hire employees basically for free. That can only lead to incredible inefficiency in labor utilization.

Because the values that have been imprinted on me make me thing needlessly difficult work is the only way to be valued in society!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rodatose posted:

Look if you don't like it when someone advocates purges for pragmatic social gains, maybe you're being a little emotional?

Kill all whites.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Typo posted:

Because then you are simultaneously giving them an incentive to work as well as providing them with a guaranteed standard of living.

Which sounds to me is the exact principle behind the minimum wage.

Why is it necessary that people work?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So you're saying we should be rewarding companies that are unable to find meaningful work for people? I don't want to encourage people to do jobs they don't need to do. Most current work is make-work. We should not create incentives for keeping that up.

Bring back the telephone exchanges and the typing pool!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Businesses: creations of law, but should they be bound by law?

I long to see businesses run free across the plains, as they did in ages past.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:rip: OP, may angels carry you to your rest

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Not really. Maybe you can tell us which resources you think are so scarce that they prevent us from having free public education?

Gee I wonder why students in that part of the world are mad right now, hmm could that be because the police keep randomly executing students? Nah I'm sure they're just uppity liberals, I'm sure if the police were randomly executing wealthy conservatives no one would make a big deal over it

Wateroverfire is a Chilean right-winger and is therefore unable to conceive of public education without profit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I'm kind of slightly left of center bro. I think we've all learned something valuable about you from your post.

I think everyone, from social liberals to communists, can probably agree "free public education" is feasible so maybe not.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

LOL yeah when you look at the numbers no it isn't.

Yeah I do.

oh word when did you get your phd in educational policy?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

archangelwar posted:

I like how you attempt to self identify as something that could not possibly be further away from your supported policies because you are ashamed of the truth and possibly not being accepted as a cool kid on the internet. This also explains your need to pretend to have a higher income than anyone else.

Maybe he's actually French.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

are ya'll part of the same Dumbfuck Foreign Exchange that keeps getting Niall Ferguson and Nigel Farage speaking gigs over here

niall ferguson is a fellow at the hoover institution (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

asdf32 posted:

I love that you're calling me ignorant for not claiming to be ignorant about wage distribution and also didn't understand the math (you thought I was saying wage distribution wasn't liner - I wasn't. Linear wage distribution is exponential impact actually)

If only we knew the wage distributions!

Answer: 42% of people make under $15 an hour. 4.3% make minimum wage today. Thus an increase to $15 is roughly a 10X increase (1 order of magnitude) in the number of people impacted by minimum wage and simultaneously increases the wages to every one of them. That's larger than an order of magnitude in terms of dollars.

http://www.nelp.org/publication/growing-movement-15/
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=percent%20of%20people%20making%20minimum%20wage

Giving 42% of workers a raise seems like a good idea idk

• Locked thread