Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what would be terrible

Making a living wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LorrdErnie posted:

Oh my god I had no idea you were dickeye until I clicked your rap sheet

Also I disagree I think it would be good.

You are literally the last person to realize who I am, I think

euphronius posted:

It would increase prices to intolerable levels.

I agree prices are extremely tolerable now for people making minimum wage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tsa posted:

I mean it's kinda amazing in 500 pages nobody's actually come up with a justification for 15/hr

"People should be able to survive on minimum wage"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

asdf32 posted:

Businesses hire a worker when they think they'll make more money than the worker costs.

God it's almost like I read a whole bunch of arguments earlier about how this isn't an accurate description of the way reality works, if only I could remember where

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JeffersonClay posted:

I explicitly state that low minimum wages don't do much to ameliorate poverty. Obviously I'm saying that poverty continues to be a problem when minimum wages are low.

Alright so I'm about to drop a sicknasty truth bomb on you. If low minimum wage means people are poor even if they work, because they're not making much money, ok here's the tricky bit stay with me now, what if we gave them more money

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You guys are too caught up in this whole myth of the "working poor" who basically don't exist. If you work full time, you're very unlikely to be poor. It just doesn't happen. I

I'm actually poor as gently caress and work more than forty hours a week. I deliver food, which means I make minimum wage part of the time and 4.25 the rest of the time and if I have a godawful night I can walk out of an eight hour shift with about 40 bucks pre-tax.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 17, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Jesus this is what happens when someone who took stats 101 tries to sound smart.. I know I'm wasting my time because you're just going to make up stuff in response but whatever

#1 more detailed data is better in this case. The noise that cancels out under aggregation also cancels out in OLS. Restaurant level data is much better than CPI data because you have more variation in both x and y

#2 ofc r2 is low in a study like this, price variation is largely independent of the minimum wage because minimum wages are fairly constant and only affect a very small portion of workers. The significance and direction of the coefficient are all that matter. You get a similar r2 in studies between smoking and life expectancy... You're explaining a continuous variable with significant outside variation with a dummy like variable.

I like that you jumped right ot this instead of actually dealing with the multiple people calling you out for saying the working poor don't exist, as opposed to just calling them liars for sharing their experiences being working poor.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Once again that's a whole lot of terms with no actual meaning behind them. Not sure what "fractional uncertainties" you're talking about but still not sure how you think essentially taking the mean and doing tests on it is better than using the actual raw data. Any problems you have in the data that affect ols coeffs affect the mean. This is really simple.

Still not sure how you think r2 which you now admit is irrelevant to testing a coefficient "helps confirm" anything. Does the sky being blue also help confirm that a murder happened?

Did someone post anything beyond their anecdotes about not affording anime that would somehow trump BLS data? I love left wing D&D posters because being poor is some sort of achievement here and people have the best stories about how they were poor (apparently the daily routine of poor people in America consists mainly of posting here)

You're a loving moron with no understanding of how poo poo works in America and you think you understand American poverty better than actual Americans. That's what you're saying here, that I just think I'm poor making less than 15k a year and spending most of that on crazy things like bills and food and gas. gently caress you. gently caress anyone who thinks people need to respond to you with anything other than outright hostility.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

really marveling here that i can't tell from context if geriatric pirate is perpetrating a really dumb and niche troll or if he's just extremely stubborn and unwilling to give an inch regarding that he may not have the ability to turn his opinions into perfectly clear and correct declarations of fact

It's neither, he's dumb Jim.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'm really marveling here that QuarkJets managed to get like 6 left wing posters convinced that "fractional uncertainties" are a reason to avoid using detailed data

Maybe instead of posting here 40 times per day complaining about how poor you are, you could, you know, get a job? I'm guessing most people don't do that, which is why, like the BLS says, working full time and being poor is quite an achievement.

I work forty hours a week shithead, and that's if it's the rare week I don't go in early or stay late a few times for some extra money.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

:qq: the BLS poverty line doesn't include any budget for anime, they just account for things like food, transport and living costs :qq:

Yeah how dare people say they're poor when they're just barely scraping by in the best of times, God forbid something go wrong. gently caress you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Please tell me about how I should find a job, again, for daring to want things

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Sorry that the minimum you calculated for yourself is higher than the minimum calculated by the census bureau based on consumption data and price data (not the BLS, though they did some experiments and tests http://www.bls.gov/pir/spm/spm_thresholds_2013.htm and found very similar thresholds)

I'm afraid however that I will have to take the word of two government bodies that have an incentive to calculate this stuff instead of someone who is literally addicted to somethingawful.com.

Wow the government set the poverty line lower than it actually is???? It's almost like if it was higher there would be more people receiving assistance. Surely this is al just coincidence though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

How dare I suggest that someone who has time to post here all day and who is poor might be well served by getting (another) job. God forbid someone suggest that you do something about your situation. That's not fair - the only possible solution to your problems is more money from the government.

Literally bootstraps, if you're doing anything but working you have no right to complain, even if you already work more than 40 hours a week on average. gently caress you.

Also yes on my day off I do have time to post, because I'm not waking up and getting ready for an 11 hour shift. It's crazy how that works. Are you not really poor if you have days off now, you ignorant gently caress?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if we keep insulting geriatric pirate's inferior education and evident learning disability he may eventually google himself into a page that patiently explains why he is wrong

Apparently swamp swedes are fed a diet of lead based paint starting from birth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I made four hundred and fifty dollars this week in tips. I immediately turned around and put 270 of that into my car because it needed new brakes and rotors. I have another hundred and something coming in tomorrow on my check (check was weird this pay period because of employment shenanigans) but I still have rent and utilities to pay in a week and I'm two months behind on my car insurance and I have a phone bill to pay

But I'm doing just fine. Right.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Seems quite at odds with the actual conclusion of the paper, and more in line with "Effectronica is confused because he doesn't understand that percentage increases in prices and wages are not directly comparable"

You're right, it's impossible to get a job. Better just stay in and post all day.

Again I am literally working 45-50 hours a week on a regular basis and something as simple as regular preventative maintenance on my car is throwing my finances off. I'm also not buying things just for shits and gigs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Poster "Literally the Worst" has 40000 posts on these forums and also wants the government to give him more money.

No, I want my job to give me more money. You know, the one you keep insinuating I don't have.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Here's some back of the envelope, Effectronica style math:

Literally the Worst has 41000 posts on these forums. Assume 5 minutes of browsing per post. Then assume that instead of posting, he made $10 per hour. If he had worked instead of posting, he'd literally have $34,000 more.

Over the course of eight years during which time I was going to school (high school and college) at various points for a grand total of an extra 2.5k a year. Wow. Wow. If only I hadn't wanted pesky things like days off, or had a job where I made ten bucks an hour.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

34/8 = 4.25, but I guess expecting someone who is running out of money for rent and car payments to work a few extra days is just asking way too much, all that for a measly 4.25k per year. I mean it's much easier to complain about how greedy your employer is and demand a law to make him pay you more (he'll probably fire you instead, but that'll be a fun surprise for you if the minimum wage ever increases!)

"A few extra days" meaning seven days a week, since I'm already working five days a week, often for longer than eight hours at a stretch, and then paying taxes on that money

Also I literally make less than minimum wage most of the time and survive on tips so

Also oh boy you got me I made a typo on my phone, my argument (which as a reminder is that you, as someone who lives in a country with a functioning welfare state, have no loving business telling people in america that they don't have it that bad) is a shambles whatever shall I do

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I'm still making more than I was working 40/wk at 10/hr because a good chunk of my money comes to me tax free and I'm still barely getting by

But shame on loving me, for daring to not want to work seven days a week.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fun fact about tips in America: Never tip your server/driver/bartender/whatever on your credit card receipt unless you're too drunk to recognize denominations on your paper money. We get taxed on tips that go on your card, because they go into the system when you get charged for it. Always tip cash, 100% of that will go in your server's pocket

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

poor people in america literally pay 42% tax and are literally starving on the street - an american who really knows what its like to be poor and thinks MMT is mainstream economics

The typo isn't a big deal, though it did bring out another poverty expert (raskolnikov38) who thinks that poor people are paying 42% tax rates.

So how about those jobs in the US city that you live in guy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

So now poor people don't pay 42% tax? I thought it was completely obvious that they do and anyone who thought that they didnt obviously doesnt know anything about poverty in America?

His typo is fine, it happens, but seeing how out of touch idiots like you are with the personal finances of poor people is funny. Now you're backtracking but whatever.

I am literally a poor person you moron. All the money I made last week is spent already on my bills. To be more precise, I have about fifty bucks of that left, plus, again whatever oddball amount I get on my paycheck for a period where my schedule got wonky because I got a new job that I ended up leaving and going back to my old one. I also have rent due in a week. That will consume my tip money for this week, completely.

But please, continue telling me I'm not poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Please, tell me more about poor people. You clearly know the topic very well.

Says the man living in a different country with a functioning welfare system, lecturing actual Americans on what America is really like. You smug, ignorant gently caress.

• Locked thread