Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LeoMarr posted:

10 employes all making 10 dollars is 100 dollars an hour for staffing

bam 15 bucks minimum wage now.

7 employees making 15 dollars is 105 dollars an hour

So can 7 people spend more with 1/3rd more income If having 15 minimum wage jump your tax bracket to have about 1/3rd of your income gone every month on taxes alone.

And after they nuke the employment all the products jump by a % margin to make up for that 5 dollars or 10 dollars, or whatever the difference in wage is for the employees.

Workers being parasites that do nothing for companies, anything that fires them is good for the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LeoMarr posted:

hahaha you sure about that? I know at least 5 businesses that would nuke their labor force to bring profits back up. IF you're paid $15 an hour you're going to be expected to do the world of 1.50

Interesting how the minimum wage and employment levels nearly sync when you look at the annual wage increases.

They teach you about the difference between real and nominal dollars in high school, don't they?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
One thing that gets neglected in any discussion of the minimum wage is how many people work multiple jobs just to support themselves. If, for the sake of argument, hiking the minimum wage up to a living-wage level cuts those jobs by 10% or so, but 50-60% of people with those jobs worked two jobs before and now work one, the number of jobs increases.

(1000 workers = 1500 jobs - (0.1*1500) = 1350 jobs = 35% increase in people employed).

This is not authoritative, but you would need minimum-wage hikes to seriously cut the number of jobs in order to see a net decrease given how many people work multiple jobs.

Ervin K posted:

I'm not arguing about how much people should be making, you people are doing some pretty hardcore mental gymnastics here. I'm arguing that the government shouldn't force companies to pay people $15 just for showing up. Also we all do jobs to stay alive, I'm curious in what part of America do you need to make $15 an hour to stay alive?

Keep projecting if it makes you feel better.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/26163

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typo posted:

If you want to have a minimum wage debate D&D is possibly the worst place to have it, because there is too much of an emotional attachment to the minimum wage as a policy (rather than as a principle) that opposing it basically makes you what an apostate is to a true believer.

Yah, everyone should be Mr. Motherfucking Spock about this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typo posted:

*Is unironically proud of the fact that he doesn't want to have a rational discussion.

The idea that "rationality" means not having any emotional investment is a pernicious kind of insanity, one that is basically coterminous with technocracy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

Price != value. The government can set the price of labor by fiat, but I can't think of any feasible way for it to set the value. Price controls are generally a bad thing. The D&D consensus after MW threads play themselves out is that the MW is the worst of the best policy options for boosting incomes at the bottom of the pay-scale. Ideally society would eliminate the minimum wage, tax wealth, and transfer the revenue from those taxes to all Americans in the form of an expanded EITC and more robust social welfare programs.

Why would we need to eliminate the minimum wage?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't quite know how you can smarm about useless arts degrees and about how first-worlders are labor aristocrats simultaneously, but I guess it really is true that Yakub protects his misbegotten children.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

I feel you and I think education makes life better for people, mostly.

But in a world of scarce resources, which is what we're dealing with, how do you justify investing money in something you won't pay off? Making the choice to short other priorities to fund this one IMO comes with an obligation to make the most of the money.

What is the ROI on having children in the modern age? Human extinction now!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

It's about husbanding scarce resources. Even if it's a long term proposition, social spending should have some kind of return.

What is the return on investment for caring for disabled people?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

this guy posts on a loving forum. can you believe that poo poo. can you... man, i ran the numbers and the fail is just totally off the chart here. were talking care in the 75th percentile, maxed out salt concentration. its mind-blowing how mad this guy is, on a forum.

Please be nice to Geriatric Pirate, who takes twenty minutes to type out a sentence.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gravel Gravy posted:

Inflated sense of superiority.

Uh, that and three bucks gets you a coffee. I want cash for providing diabetics with insulin.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

The thing is, if your social spending doesn't pay back on some timescale you're literally less able to face problems with every new investment cycle than you could have been.

Agreed, no more care for the disabled. No more children. Nothing will be done that doesn't give you at least as much money as you spend on it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

maybe there's a middle ground, a middle ground where we pay for things like education for kids and care for the disabled, but where we don't give you your disability checks just so you can post on the forums for 20 hours per day

Maybe we can find this middle ground by destroying the inferior white race.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
What's the ROI on Europe? Basically zero? Wouldja look at that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

(ps i made $300 posting that. also my cousin knows hulk hogan)

You filthy dance major poor, I make a thousand dollars a minute AND I am an actual god.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm completely self-taught as a historian by Google and my local library, which is how I know that the Holocaust never happened.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

uhh time is finite retard how are we supposed to educate everyone before the universe closes

Tehre's only finite amounts of food, we can't possibly feed everyone. Opportunity cost!!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

I'm kind of slightly left of center bro. I think we've all learned something valuable about you from your post.

Oh for sure dude.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

it's not a strawman, people in this thread actually argued that welfare benefits are a subsidy to walmart because the government helps feed their workers

i'm failing to see how these same people wouldn't complain about free education being a subsidy to microsoft because the government helps educate their workers

You could have just said you're blind up front.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

LOL yeah when you look at the numbers no it isn't.

Yeah I do.

Just get to the part where you squeal like a castrated pig about the mothershitting liberal arts again.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Eh how many different times can you double dip the progressive taxation angle?

"Here's your subsidized loan. Make the most of our investment in you because you have to pay it back" is more efficient, more fair, and less likely to result in people dicking around after an expensive education.

So how often do you gently caress watermelons?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

So yes. I disagree.

I think the fact that we provide education and possibly food to 5 year olds has nothing to do with corporate entity Wal-Mart whatsoever and it's bizarre to suggest that it does.

I bet you laughed uncontrollably while you were writing this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Inequality being good, I assume wateroverfire is fine with enhancing his inequality with other people by having his hands cut off.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

what about that guy who started out at minimum wage back when it was $6.50/hour and he's been working all these years and it up to $15 now. that's almost $9 an hour he has earned in raises over the last decade or so. and then minimum wage gets bumped up to $15/hour.

sorry dude, in 9 years you managed to go from minimum wage to minimum wage.

that's pretty lovely and if you disagree that it is lovely, you would be a lovely employer.

This would only happen in the case of malfeasance by employers, so agreed- 15 bucks an hour is only a stepping stone on the pathway to economic democracy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

publix supermarket cake decorators max at $14.89/hour and they cross train people who make minimum bagging groceries to do cake decorators :ssh:

alright, then what should we do for the guy who has been working for almost a decade and is now getting paid what you wish minimum wage to be, and then minimum wage gets raised to that? regardless if your argument is "he won't be making less money!" it's a really lovely and demoralizing feeling to go from minimum wage, work nine years, and then you're back to minimum wage.

i would be loving LIVID if that happened to me, and i'm sure a good portion of people would be too.

:ssh: You're :ssh: a :ssh: loving :ssh: idiot :ssh: because :ssh: companies :ssh: will :ssh: increase :ssh: the :ssh: wages :ssh: and :ssh: benefits :ssh: of :ssh: people :ssh: to :ssh: retain :ssh: talent :ssh:.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Look, if we raise the wages of workers that require minimal training, clearly the wages of workers that require some or extensive training will remain stagnant, as will the wages of experienced workers. That's simple eccconamics.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Getting paid what you are worth has nothing to do with self esteem. It has a lot to do with getting paid what you are worth. There are jobs out there that are not worth $15/hour.

this will lead to raising the wages of everyone, which, for a lot of companies (particularly small businesses) isn't feasible.

No there aren't.

Good. Small businesses are incredibly inefficient in economic terms.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Small businesses produce about 1.2 million bucks apiece. Big businesses produce 400 million bucks apiece. If we used less ridiculous definitions, this would get even worse.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

You're only thinking of companies like Wal Mart in situations like this. Some small businesses will get railed harder than your favorite prison story, and not necessarily because they are raising minimum wage to $15, but because that will create entitlement among those who were hired before the minimum wage increase.

But gently caress small businesses, you know.

nooooo not 'entitlement'

goddamn these kids, thinking they have a right to life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, freedom of speech, freedom of worship, privacy, etc. etc.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

happiness isn't a right, the pursuit of it is.

nope, that's entitlement, thinking you have the right to pursue happiness. someone should kick your self-esteemed rear end.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Really? You don't think people would be pissed about getting paid minimum wage simply because minimum wage gets raised so much more drastically than it has been raised in the past? You're pretty hard headed if you think people would be okay with that.

I can't believe nobody pointed this out, but there are at least three ways you aren't "people", Cole.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

You do know it's possible to move on from your $10/hr job to bigger and better things, right? You don't need to artificially get there, you can actually go out and earn $50k a year if you really give some effort.

Frankly, you should be fired from your job for this innumeracy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

It has nothing to do with making more than someone else to feel good. Stop putting words in my mouth. It has to do with putting in several years of work to get above minimum wage to only get placed right back at minimum wage. You proved yourself over years that you are worth more than minimum, that's why you got a raise in the first place. In many cases, you're giving people who have worked hard to get paid more than minimum wage a raise.... right to minimum wage, and that's a lovely proposition.

That is not going to happen you, even though your multiplication-inept brain thinks it will.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Fifteen dollars an hour, full-time, 52 weeks a year, is 31,200 dollars gross pay. Not 50,000+.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Because they are 15 years old.

It doesn't say anything in the Bible about how much anyone should be paid, let alone teenagers.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

The Bible also doesn't give an age of consent. Do you still want to use the Bible to prop up your argument?

I'm looking through the UCMJ, and nothing on that either. Where exactly does this idea come from? Surely you didn't try to think, did you?!?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

In a perfect world, you would take a baseline amount that it takes to live on (to cover rent, food, etc), increase it by a certain percentage (say 10%), and call that minimum wage. If you have a child that you are the primary care for, maybe you are eligible for a monthly stipend to help care for your kid.

What do you think the $15/hour wage is, jackoff?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

The core of my argument has been about that guy who is already making $15/hour. You are undermining what that person has done for several years by sticking them back at minimum wage anyway.

I can quote several posts I have made that illustrate this point.

Those guys make below the median income anyways, and so are basically criminals according to you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paragon1 posted:

$15 an hour works out to $31,200 a year, which is okay but not great if you are the sole earner in a household with multiple dependents.

It's actually below a living wage for any family with kids that has one earner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paragon1 posted:

Well I did suggest that it should actually be $20 an hour.

Yeah, realistically, it should be 20-21 nationally to cover single parents and one-income households (and higher in the west coast and new england), though with readjusting welfare payments you could make it work with 15/hour

• Locked thread