Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tried playing GT:NH not that long ago but it blows my mind that it still runs as poorly as it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of about a million pet peeves I have when it comes to Minecraft modding is when already humongous modpacks throw in like 40 other mostly-aesthetic or stylistic mods, which only serve to make load times longer and strained performance worse. There's a mod whose sole purpose is to add Call of Duty style HIGH DEFINITION BLOOD SPLATTERS onto the screen when you take damage, and it's in about 2/5 of all modpacks I download these days. A ton more add the mod that blurs the world when you have a menu or container open. Or make items fall flat on the ground (and possibly even need to be clicked to pick up) instead of their normal floating and spinning behavior. Or add weird reverb to every sound any time you're within a mile of a cave. Or have all leaf blocks spawn 4000 particles every 2 seconds. Or add a ton of "atmospheric" sounds, like a 6-second loop of shrill, piercing birdsong 24/7.
Modpack makers: If I wanted items to land flat or birds to shriek in my ear, I would add those myself! Please stop throwing dozens of these mods in every pack that's already got 200+. I hate having to sort through the modlist of everything I download and immediately check under mods titled "atmospheric..." "better..." or "realistic..."

The worst aspect (and this gets harder to avoid the further back you go, as with packs like GT:NH) is when it gets hard to know which mods you can safely remove. A big enough pack might include mods I dislike (like Forestry) but they could be vital to the careful inter-mod progression system, so they're staying. But then plenty of times you'll have 20 bee mods included in a pack where bees aren't part of progression whatsoever, but then there's one optional quest in the quest book that gives hives as a reward or some poo poo like that and now if you take out the bee mods the entire pack crumbles into dust.
I understand this mentality for kitchen sink packs and the like, but so few pack makers seem to think less is more.
e: :goonsay:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SpudCat posted:

I like a lot of those mods but every time I start a pack with Dynamic Surroundings I have to go turn off all those obnoxious animal sounds. Why are they a thing. I've never seen anyone who likes them.
I'm not saying they're objectively bad mods, but my computer has trouble with loading times and performance as it is and a ton of these weird aesthetic mods do nothing but clog it up.
I'd rather people who really like them add them themselves than just leave them in by default and leave those of us who don't to track down their names and cut them out. Especially when you get stuff like screen shake, blood splatters, shrill animal noises, etc.

dragonshardz posted:

How do you feel about mods that (primarily) add cool new blocks to build with?
Mostly okay with it. Xtones stands out as being an exception because a ton of the blocks are way too muddy/ugly, and that's used all over the place. But Quark's loaded with decorative blocks and Chisel is solely variants and both of those have a very low performance footprint and keep the game's style well, so not really a problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GetDunked posted:

I've been playing Omnifactory for my factory building fix. It feels like a big step up in QoL stuff from GT:NH, like you start with easily constructed mining hammers, an ore scanner for veins, and the like, and don't have to deal with the whole hardcore abyssal mobs / extra dark night / torches are a pain to get setup. Probably less hard/grindy too but the precaution to build a whole mess of forestry tables feels pretty familiar so far...
It was designed so that you could play the whole pack in peaceful mode if you wanted. I don't think it loses much. There's some lategame grinds that get really ridiculous, and the push to the creative fluid tank is mind-numbing. But apparently when you reach that you still have a long way yet to go, so it's interesting how they've chosen to dole it out.
Great timesink, though. If it catches you just right you'll lose hours to that pack.

Blind Duke posted:

Chisel is good stuff, but part of me really misses the point a few years ago when it had a future. Nowadays it’s all about standardized textures as the rest of its materials and picking up materials from other mods into its format. Back in the day you had all sorts of goofy stuff like holystone which had an appealing weird footstep sound, fantasy wall blocks that use connected textures to darken the lowest levels for walls, factory blocks so cool they couldn’t be abandoned for the standardized format.

I would love another Chisel attempt that does what the factory blocks do in providing a buncha blocks that fill a theme. Various unique connected texture and effects gimmicks to give people more interesting tools than just more single block textures.
I miss that so much. I forget when the change happened, but when I couldn't make obsidian snakes with totemic faces anymore, I knew we'd lost something special.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Happy Hedonist posted:

What’s up with Interactions? That looks like another huge complicated pack you could lose days to. I love GT:HN, but parts of it are really rough.

Edit: By rough I mean NEI being slow even after its cached and the strange inclusion of things like a mod that creates a ton of layers of snow instead of blocks which results in a struggling server and tanked FPS.
Having played FTB:I through the "tutorial" chapter (which interestingly, takes place entirely in a safe skyblock) and only a little bit after, I can say it definitely has strong GT:NH vibes and I really want to get into it.

The reasons I can't, despite my best efforts, are a few "hardcore" mods like pitch blackness at night, mobs that can break and place blocks to reach you, and finite water in most biomes. Though honestly the single biggest reason is it's so drat bloated with mods it takes like ten minutes for the pack to load in.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pepe is like the OK symbol: though co-opted by the alt-right it still has plenty of innocent uses, and it's pretty easy to tell the difference just by context.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dammit lol i'd forgotten about the initial GT blast furnace in New Horizons

I really, really hate quests that expect you to get all the base ingredients so you can "check in" before you actually craft any of them. Thankfully JEI makes it pretty easy to just cheat some back in and throw them back out, but what a pain that if you're making a machine whose components and parts take a total of 200 copper ingots, it wants you to put all those ingots in your inventory at once, before you do anything else.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And even if that was the only way to get clay dust, you'd surely want to have your macerators running as soon as possible in order to get it processed while you're crafting other things.
This is why quests should only ever ask for the final product.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

If you play without being logged in to authentication servers you'll get a random user ID that doesn't match what you were playing with before, therefore you're basically considered a new player joining the 'server'.
Yep, solution is to restart when you're able to log back in. Or copy over the questbook files from one player profile to another, but that requires knowing where they are and it's been years since I knew that offhand.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rynoto posted:

Dungeons, Dragons & Space Shuttles
Even for as ridiculous and grindy as the recipes in this apparently were, the feature that turned me off it was that no other modpack took as long to boot as this one.
Like, the top offenders for me have been Sevtech:Ages at around 8 minutes and FTB: Interactions at around 11, but DD&S I didn't even bother keeping track of as it approached 20
God drat I wish they're fix the Forge boot method, because there's literally no loving reason it should take 10 minutes to boot anything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bigperm posted:

I realise there is probably a really terrific reason why it's not possible or practical that we can't, but I wish we could just save the jvm state after loading, and load that after the first time.
At the very least, a massive chunk of every load time is compiling arrays by reading and combining all the recipes, interactions, names, etc. of the new modded content. There's no reason these have to be built from scratch every single time you boot, and just having a simple hash check to see that the mod list hasn't changed, so it's okay to use the old compiled sets, would speed things up massively.
But my understanding is because the Forge dev(s) don't care about that personally they're not going to ever fix it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragonshardz posted:

You're correct and while I don't know if Fabric does this thing you're describing, it launches SO MUCH FASTER.
Which is really nice, but all the big packs I wanna play are Forge. Fabric's got an uphill battle for content, but Forge is forever floundering in performance. I call it "The Duality of Man".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Quark is pretty much singlehandedly making me stick with Forge, right now. Just too many quality of life conveniences and a ton of really nice decorative blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignonyourparade posted:

I hate giant megapacks anyways so to me the loadtimes are a great last indicator of "actually this isn't a pack you want to play."
This is almost always the case, yeah. But the few exceptions that are actually quite fun still irk me. I could probably count such packs on one hand though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Especially given how bad modded Minecraft's performance and memory handling tend to be, I really, really wish these big industrial mods and packs would focus on upgrades rather than multiplication. Having to build 10x of a multiblock to fuel 1x of another multiblock is an instant turnoff to me just from the perspectives of tedium, space management, and TPS/FPS hit. I'd so much rather have 1 structure that I can upgrade to work at 10x speed. I guess the appeal for a lot of people in these factory-style packs is seeing a whole long row of machines all pumping out supplies over belted conveyors, but even if I'm the odd one out here I'd really just rather have something compact that runs smoothly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Hooplah posted:

If this is directed at the gtnh talk, that sort of upgrading is central to gregtech's design. every tier is 4 times higher than the previous in terms of both energy costs and production. you can absolutely just make 2^n LV power producers and step them up to n voltage tier, but most just submit to the efficiency hit and build higher tier producers. it would be super funny to see a high tier base powered by a huge bank of lv generators actually
Not leveled at GT in particular, no. I appreciate that much, definitely, but some things don't scale, generally from other mods (like the coke ovens) and I remember a lot of tedium in working with those.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eox posted:

It's nowhere near a direct replacement, but I'm finding Electroblob's Wizardry + Ancient Spellcraft are scratching that itch once I've got a decent library of spells. At least since I realized you could bind an unidentified spellbook to a wand and figure it out that way instead of burning a scroll of identification.
Mana and Artifice is a mod apparently made by the same creator/team as Ars Magica 2, and is the official modern successor. Not sure how fully fleshed out it is as yet but it's been updating like crazy and development is very active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eox posted:

I'm currently throwing a pack together to run on a public goon server containing all the new magic mods on 1.16.4 that I haven't had the chance to mess around with, plus Create. I'll post a link once it's done, but right now we're looking at:
I'm not sure I'd put two Ars Magica successors in the same pack, because invariably one is going to do what the other can but cheaper/easier/more powerfully, but honestly any server with a ton of magic mods probably isn't sweating min-maxing. From my experience, Mana and Artifice is the much more involved and pricy mod while Noveau is very much more about just getting results with some pretty simple inputs. I think the former has more content and potential for complexity while the latter is more approachable and has quicker returns.

E: Just looked up Mahou Tsukai and god drat the Clairvoyance spell in the trailer is the most impressive spell effect I've ever seen. I didn't even know the AI could be predicted that way.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 29, 2020