Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wolpertinger posted:

I couldn't really figure out a way to automate farming in Regrowth, but if you could manage that it would have been even more efficient

All this sounds cool, but looking regrowth up it has both thaumcraft and witchery. Farming is like the easiest thing to get a golem team to do, I've done it and I've somehow never been able to get a decanting/alchemy golem to work. Witchery also has ways to make potions that harvest stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Witchery is extensively documented.
Except that the specific combinations of ingredients for spells and potions are in the ingame books, not the site.

And several parts aren't that well developed. Like The Brew Of Flowing Spirit is pretty much impossible to make.

Other than that, it's alright. It has a lot of depth and things to do before you can say you're done with it, it's far better documented than Blood Magic (so I don't understand how that's used as an example of a better mod), and anything you do in it is still less annoying than thaumcraft infusion crafting

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah, I've never gotten to the high levels of Witchery and that sounds infuriating. I get you now.

The high levels of blood magic I haven't reached either, due to not only needing to erect giant structures but to put them in specific locations (and also they're made of stuff that takes a long time to make at the first stage, never got to automating stuff)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
the tradeoff those is then you must supply essentia directly.
Which is okay if only at most three types are involved. But what of things like balanced shards that need so many types. What then. If you use pipes they'll get clogged, and I don't think you can use alchemy golems.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
how would one get an absurd number of seeds WITHOUT magic mods, like just with minefactory reloaded + thermal expansion?
Was playing with modderation fyad in creative mode, and even having a cow farm to provide fertilizer and an openblocks sprinkler system nearby wheat just seems to grow really slowly. Seems like a lilypad of fertility or just about any other magic means of growth enhancement would be necessary to get this show on the road, but surely tech mods must have their own ways of doing things. (though this modpack's missing a lot of them)
Just sorta curious since I wanted to see how bee mechanics work, but that includes what infrastructure you're expected to start with... and that infrastructure is apparently "poo poo tons of seeds before you even loving start"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I thought you needed BEES before you could breed TREES

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
really of bfsr updates I think rftools should go in before enderio

modderation fyad has barely anything but it still has rftools. enderio seems fairly simple to figure out if you have other mod experience anyway. rftools, like ae2, is helpful but has a lot of poo poo to sort through to the uninitiated.

btw, I know the quest mode it uses doesn't allow illustrations but maybe there could be a downloadable "university world" that had a bunch of the more common automations built and signs for commentary? I haven't been on servers yet but that's the kind of thing I'd like to see.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Assuming I make a tutorial world in BFSR, is there something I can give the player that they can use from a randomly-generated overworld as a starting item to take them back-and-forth from it? I'd like to be able to start them in the tutorial world, and let them proceed to the overworld at leisure, but then beam back to the tutorial world at any time without any assumption of having RF power or advanced blocks. I'd hope to then have it teleport them back to exactly where they were in the overworld when they activated it.

Warp book mod allows you to have a book with a bunch of names for places for immediate teleportation.
It uses some hunger as its cost.
Also, it can fit in the enchiridion's book binder.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i just haven't really seen the point of these coding mods because if I wanted to sit there and code poo poo to do stuff for me instead of exploring or building or otherwise actually playing the game, I'd just mod my own entities into the game.

Then again, a lot of the mods where you build machines to do poo poo for you is already pushing that notion.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Thyrork posted:

Despite Goon :argh:ing (Justified or not, agreed or otherwise), Vazkii is legit A Good Modder.

Also something like, 17 or 18 apparently. So prone to the occasional flits of madness we all experienced around that time. :shrug:

Goons are just used to insane assholes that make some of the more egregious poo poo, but they were a little too quick to dump on vazkii imo. Botania has probably the best and most reasonable progression of any mod I have played, not to mention some of the only good ingame documentation.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
two questions
1) is there a good modded minecraft youtube channel that explains mods in a more interesting way than "here's what a crafting recipe is, here's what the block does blah blah blah", like explain things that you can't just read off a wiki page but in a more time wasting format while I grade a hundred exams
2) what program is the best to use to build structures and copy paste then in minecraft worlds without breaking when mods are involved? or maybe how to you managed to build stuff ingame in faster and less annoying manner? even with creative mode on building the sane large cubes and fences while managing inventory and making sure there's nowhere a creeper can spawn is just tiresome by now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Glory of Arioch posted:

Botania doesn't really have a "payoff." The gimmick of the mod is that it provides a bunch of esoteric gameplay mechanisms to automate, and the fun is building the thing that automates them. Botania is really a tech mod at heart.

counterpoint, gaia gear and the mana you'll have gets you poo poo like diamond armor that never breaks, the ability to make rainbow bridges, superspeed, and also the corporea index is a storage system that you talk to toget and store stuff and doesn't require the poo poo ae2 puts you through. there's also superpotions.

for tc there's at least superweapons that can mow down hordes easily, flight, and shielding long before you get into the eldritch tab.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there was a mod that made a warp effect of nearby inventories are shuffled randomly

never played with warp on again

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Bhodi posted:

Nope, the problem is biomes XL stuff is clogging the random things you can get, which makes the 2 useful plants you specifically need have a vanishingly small percentage chance of happening. I ended up cheating them in after using two full legitimate stacks of mutandis.

Mutandis really should just be for vanilla and witch plants. Does not play well with including other mods

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
not sure why a minecraft player wouldn't immediately go to the nether, potions are like one of the few interesting mechanics the normal game has and the game is unplayable without night vision

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I never play without keepinventory on because gently caress item loss

I like potions a whole lot, you can't have them without a nether fort delve for blaze rods and netherwart.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Magres posted:

I'd be really interested in a mod with a middle ground between keepinventory on and off

Like "keep all your valuable poo poo" but you lose like your ores and junk from that run. Maybe you can pick ~10 items to keep and drop the rest?

yeah it's a real "someone who knows java do this" mod
like i don't like the command because what i really want is to keep all my poo poo but lose all my xp
xp is... well it's a little different in tech mods but in hexxit or vanilla it's an interesting mechanic with a lot of risk/reward (and repeating battles is not the same as the tedium of repeating gathering and crafting)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yknow here's another Christmas wish: version 1.7 legend gear Titan gloves. Lift cows. THROW COWS. gently caress making an exact number of safari nets or dragging hem with leads, who DOESN'T want to THROW COWS

yeah the rest of that mod would be nice too. It was loving fun and about crafting and adventuring without adding Ill thought out mobs and dungeons... But I just want to have (and throw) a cow.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm kind of mad. I upgraded to windows 10 and modded minecraft does not work anymore, not even 1.52.
And no online advice seems to work. Latest video drivers don't even install. It's really annoying. Not sure who to ask now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

bigperm posted:

Are you using the windows 10 version of minecraft?

You can't to play modded minecraft, or at least of the known packs. I use the technic launcher

Goncyn posted:

Post a more detailed description of your problem than "does not work"?

Well before I updated to Windows 10 everything ran fine. Now Hexxit crashes on startup with a "bad video drivers" message, everything from later minecraft just crashes without a message.

Right now the technic forums are down or something, but they said this meant I needed to update my video card drivers. And they are very out of date, they're intel hd graphics drivers that are version 9.17.10.4229, but updating from device manager or windows updater says they're up to date. Which leaves the possibility that I need to just unistall the drivers and re-update but that hasn't worked either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
oh yeah that

it doesn't work, says the computer does not meat the minimum requirements for this software for the 64 bit and wrong processor type for the 32 bit one (Yeah I know I'm 64 bit but I wanted to be thorough)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Which leads back to that driver being unable to be installed.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Magres posted:

I now understand why people hate Railcraft. I don't mind all the machines and stuff, I kinda like intricate industrial processes.

No, it's the fact that when I had to restart my world from a backup (power flickered), my world data didn't save the fact that my steam boiler was already full of water. Which means when my pump added a bit of water to it, the thing violently exploded, destroying a (thankfully unimportant) part of my base. It's such an eye-rolling design decision that isn't defensible by "MUH REALISM" because those aren't conditions that'd cause a steam explosion.

None of the damage is anything I couldn't readily repair with a little creative mode action, but holy crap it's just such bad design

lmao that's amazing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's Vazkii, so it will actually have good ingame documentation unlike most other mods.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I haven't been able to play modded minecraft in a long time.
What's the landscape of things on the technic launcher now? Omp Sigma is gone... minecraft pack up above has a similar setup, including Ars Magica, but it's not technic, I might set it up anyway though. Anything for 1.9 on technic goon-recommended?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I was thinking I'd check out latest version of Psi since I've never played with it before and make a 1.10 pack for it but the mod list site in the OP is really not working out for the latest mods.... what would people say is essential to include. I don't really want to include any magic or tech mods beyond psi, just looking to make sure I don't miss any essential features like mapping, inventory tweaks, etc.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think he means make a modpack

I kind of wanted to just work with Omp Sigma but it's discontinued. I had a backup save but I can't get multi mc to launch it because I'm also dumb...

Mystical realms looks good and omp sigma's mods outside the big five of thaumcraft, botania, witchery, blood magic, and arse magick were kind of lame but I liked the dungeons it included, so I still will take any help offered getting that to work again.

I have been playing with 1.10 and Psi and having fun with that.
1.10 combat is genuinely better just because you have a crowd control attack off the bat, so I'm enjoying it, but I didn't adjust ore rarity and there's no netherores or ore doubling or anything - didn't include TIC, tired of it and didn't want a half assed version - so I'm already out of iron and haven't found a diamond. Lame. Maybe I should've put in magical crops.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
hexxit is about discoverng and doing things and has no automation or elaborate multinstage crafting

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh my god making blocks of metal from the smelter in 1.10 tinker construct is infuriatingly slow now

why is it so slow now

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I had huge stutters when I just put in ore spawn control and base ores
Tinker construct seemed to be the only non rf means of ore doubling for 1.10

That's why it's disappointing that after gathering materials for stacks of grout, to smelt into bricks, to build into a structure, and after fueling it with tanks of lava... that it won't let you double ores without wasting your loving time. what does the designer think players would build the smelter for

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I have a question... is there anything resembling witchery/bloodmagic/botania/thaumaturgy in a non building/survival game?
I like the collecting, exploration, pragmatic building, and multiple crafting systems of magic minecraft but I'm kind of tired of minecraft and its half-assed mechanics and horrible combat and the time investment required to ever actually do anything interesting.

Like I just tried to play subnautica and just got tired when I tried to make plans for what to do next, and games where the crafting is completely realistic like Long Dark don't excite me at all, mechanical/automated like Factorio or Offplanet trader pique my interest but aren't what I'm looking for... The closest things are Stardew, which is okay, and Terraria, which I've played to death too, and Don't Starve, which I played a while and never got good at before I got tired of the survival mechanic and bullshit bosses.

A lot of games are taking inspiration from minecraft and its mechanical/survival mods, why hasn't anyone made a potion brewing witch game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I was kind of wondering about the indie circuit. I don't have console access right now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
no it's good, I've heard of them and have investigated lp's of the atelier series but it's hard to get it from an lp. Will have to play it at some point. Odin Sphere is the closest I've seen to and it's kind of not really a crafting game, but what it does have is pretty fresh.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
quick question: I'm occasionally playing with some modpacks I made with Extra Utilities and Tinkers Construct for some reason... I was wondering if it's possible, using just those and Botania's changes to Dispensers to either auto-fill lava buckets or place lava inword for a thermalily farm.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
against my better judgement I'm on my old bullshit again and installing modpacks from Twitch, hoping I might at some point go on Disasterpiece with goons.
Is there a good modpack with the latest Thaumcraft and some other magic mods, though? Tech mods I might just go tour and see what's up with, but Factorio pretty much has me covered in terms of playing a game about making tech.

Also installing Exoria but in the past I have found skyblock things extremely tedious and impossible to finish.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'll try Exoria later.
Magic Minecraft when it's not doing combat and quests and just making bizarre poo poo out of magic is still extremely unique. For my tech minecraft fix I'm enjoying Factorio, but I never got a chance to get into Thaumcraft 5 too hard.
But I never got out of early game agrarian skies or blightfall. I have too many other things to do besides stand in a dome or a block and wait for blocks to appear.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Going to be mostly quarentined, don't have a gaming computer, but found out about mcedit and thought "hm maybe mods would be fun if I could build stuff out of game mode instead of having Al these cool things to do but being unable to do anything until my character builds a giant room for them one block at a time"

However, have tried two modpacks launched from multimc and something weird is going on. They sort of launch and there's sound but there is no window. Work computer is a high end Dell machine with an Nvidia graphics card

This is not the first time something like this has happened, where should I go for help. I eventually want to buy a gaming laptop and I might as well figure out what's going on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

taiyoko posted:

My first thought on that, then, is to check and make sure your computer doesn't think there's another monitor attached and is trying to launch it to that screen. Does it show up as a window in Alt+Tab? You can try right-clicking the task bar and selecting "cascade windows" to bring it back to the main screen or select the program on the task bar and Windows key + left/right arrow to try to get it back.

this is what actually worked