Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you know about this little trick for maintaining levels of craftable items without a bank of level emitters we're talking about?

Khorne posted:

set the number of things you want it to hold in the interface's interface and it will request those from the network until it holds the desired amount. This requires a crafting card if you want the item to be crafted in the network. You can then attach a storage bus to the interface and it will treat the interface as a chest and provide its contents to your network.
I think you have to setup a separate interface+molecular assembly chamber for the crafting part itself but I'm not 100% sure. I never tried to mix the two because I usually setup a big crafting bank of interfaces+assembly chambers and then have fidgety interfaces like that setup somewhere closer to where I do things normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
You can do things like that with carpenter's blocks.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you have ProjectE the diving rods are insane and cheap. They let you find diamonds or other ores without mining in gigantic patches of land, and then you can 100% guaranteed mine to them.

Dolly from JABBA is really good early. Lets you move stuff around. One of the fastest ways to get a quarry up is to fill 3-4 barrels with charcoal from an mfr farm, and then quarry something out with two electrum tier servos on a chest, one going to a series of chests (TE's strongboxes preferred) to store the ores and stuff, and another going to a series of barrels leading into a nullifier. Or just a nullifier. The dolly comes in because it lets you move the barrels later on. You can put a chest or barrel onto a dolly then put a dolly in a TE strongbox to not be encumbered.

Tinker's Construct has some armor pieces now that are pretty nice due to their utility.

The hang glider from that one mod is pretty good and relatively cheap.

Mekanism's Jetpack is actually really good and relatively cheap. The armor actually works on it now too and gives you pretty crazy armor for the relative early game when you can make it. I don't know if that's worth mentioning in BFSR, but it's worth mentioning in this thread because I think it's something that experienced players often overlook.

Tinker's Construct stone tool rods made out of cobble stone can be used to easily make ladders/torches in the early game.

Stone hammer head with diamond enchant is pretty much an endgame hammer. Early on you can use stone, later on you can use ardite with a stone head. Just use ardite/cobalt for your single mining pick head for cobalt/ardite mining.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 20, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I lost something here. What does the charcoal have to do with anything? What is the charcoal feeding? Progressive Automation?
I usually use it to power steam dynamos with an aqueous accumulator. And the 2nd tier power augments so they put out enough rf.

I suppose the other way to do it is just to use big reactors right away at the quarry site. Depends on the mod pack and how Big Reactors recipes are setup.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

If you use AE2, before doing ANYTHING else disable meteors and channels. Trust.
Compass solves meteors it takes like 10 minutes to get all the presses. I hated the meteor thing until I actually did it once or twice. Now I kinda like it. Still not the biggest fan of the in-world crafting. It seems needlessly awkward.

Channels are one of the best things about AE2. They make base building a bit more fun than usual and you can plan things out and expand your system and oh wow.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Magres posted:

I'd be really interested in a mod with a middle ground between keepinventory on and off

Like "keep all your valuable poo poo" but you lose like your ores and junk from that run. Maybe you can pick ~10 items to keep and drop the rest?
Gravestones are in a bunch of mods now and it's pretty much an in between.

You die, they drop, they never vanish, everyone is happy because no items disappear or fall into lava.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there a way to save augment settings in TE and have it auto insert them from your inventory? Kind of like the redprint thing or whatever it is, but instead of input/output settings for augments? The worst thing about making a ton of TE machines is having to fiddle with the cumbersome augments.

Magmarashi posted:

You should see some of his rants he's gone off on while playing on his server, you'd think KL did something to him personally.
Why though? TE has almost no impact on tick time even with ridiculous setups.

I've played on Taffer's server(s) and have no problem with the guy.

I personally mix it up. Sometimes I use EIO, sometimes I use TE, sometimes I use mekanism. Generally I use them all because you kinda want to do TE progression at some point, and EIO has some better outputs with certain SAG mill stuff, and alloy smelter has different recipes than some of the other mods that are sometimes more favorable to materials you've automated, and mekanism has its own little walled garden of stuff that's useful at some point.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

It's a garbage mod for garbage people
It's like gregtech despite being the opposite of it. It's a sometimes mod that gives a unique experience, but it sure as heck isn't the mod I want everytime.

Divining Rods really kinda own though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Test Pack Please Ignore 2....... what a name. and the pack code has no spaces. Ill be giving it a try too. I am pretty sure i looked at Simply Magic, but didnt like it for some reason.....
TPPI2 is kind of underwhelming. I liked TPPI1 but TPPI2 feels kinda pointless and I liked it less than The 1.7.10 Pack or most of the other major packs. One of the big appeals of TPPI was that it had gregtech in a reasonable way, but TPPI2 is just TPPI1 without gregtech and with nothing really of note.

It's not bad or anything. The balance changes are pretty reasonable and not grindy. It has a decent assortment of mods, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

This thread is priceless. "Look how stupid this pack is lol. Anyway here's my tips from playing it extensively."
It's fun to play the ridiculous packs sometimes. It's a change of pace.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

I like the idea of slowed down progression a lot, particularly in a server environment.
The best way is to just have a reason for the player to use different mods.

To make x to get more y I need to setup z (and maybe a,b,c).

The big problem I have in most kitchen sink packs is you race to post-scarcity and then you're done. There is no reason to setup bees, magic mods, or various other things. They don't actually do anything relative to where you're at. And you don't need more materials because you have infinite and nothing with a point to build. So maintaining a point to what you are doing, keeping progression steady without it being pointlessly grindy, and "forcing" the player into setting up things they usually wouldn't for certain resources seems like the way to go for me.

TPPI1 did this kind of okay for a while. TPPI2 doesn't really. It could still be done way better.

Instead of making it super grindy the "grind" is just setting lots of stuff up in an intricate way. Gregtech and some other packs take a different approach where it's often tedious to get materials. I don't like tedious crafting or tedious tier material gathering, although I don't mind mining or chopping trees, but at the same time you need a reason to go to the twilight forest and a reason to do x,y,z.

My idea would be to change crafting recipes for various things and outputs of various things so they all work together and give you ways to "go infinite" on certain things. And you just keep going until you can build Some Great Thing. The grind would be in the enjoyable part, to me at least, which is planning out and setting up stuff. Crafting sucks so drat bad.

edit: I guess an example is how TE gates things by certain ore types (enderium/pyrotheum/cryo), but it would be applied on a broader scale and less tied to the vanilla progression. Factorization allows you to churn out some kind of unique resource, call it mirrored factorizationium for mirror setups boilered factorizainum for that kind of poo poo which is an awful name but gets the point across in this example, required to craft or activate a block from another mod. That's the idea I have at least. So you have a reason to min-max all the fairly cool mods no one ever uses, and you have a reason to have a sprawling base that continues to grow with new rooms/setups to produce new materials. It also allows you to tier things in a non-ridiculous way.

It'd probably also be interesting if it just didn't include TiC or AE2. They are both dreadfully boring mods at this point. Channels mixed it up at first but are so unbelievably simple once you get used to them. TiC is just overpowered bullshit that is in every pack under the sun and is a one way ticket to the endgame. I love both of these mods as much as the next guy, but in packs that don't have them but offer viable alternatives it can be very fun because you have to approach progression and automation differently. The last time I played a pack without either was one of the goon servers in 1.5.x, it also had no auto mining and the mod with the ogres. It was loads of fun until I finally figured out how to break it with mob spawners. An ogre-proof spawner setup was actually somewhat challenging.

Having power be a consideration instead of "infinity because TE has upgrades so any mod with a tree farm breaks it completely to infinite rf in your first 3 hours of play and big reactors exists and some of the generators from that one mod are overpowered and mekanism has zany multipliers on hydrogen sometimes which can easily provide hundreds of thousands of extra rf/tick" could be cool too, but being power limited sort of blows. It should more of an infrastructure thing where you want to add a bit more to your power setup rather than a "I have to figure out how to make sure these machines aren't on at once" tedium thing. Like maybe you start with the caveman burn coal tech, then you setup a tree farm, but the rf output from that is limited enough that you want to then gain access to some other power tech and add that on. Something like that would be cool. I mean any way to limit it would be cool, even if it's something stupid like the steam generator's output is capped at x rf/t no matter how much it generates, I don't really know I haven't given this much thought but there are certainly many approaches to a tiered or expanding power system.

I'd also avoid subcrafting recipes whenever possible or try to set a hard limit on them OR try to keep them generic enough that the player could setup mini crafting stations to keep a certain stock of them. Like gears are okay if tons of recipes require gears. Machine frames are okay if tons of recipes require machine frames. Sort of like Factorio, it has lots of sub recipes but they don't matter so much because you're trying to automate the production of something not craft a single thing. They are okay in that context, but lots of the tedious subcrafting recipes in current mods are like one-offs or things you need only a few of.

The super rf armor poo poo and jetpacks are the biggest offenders here by far. It's also really the worst about current TE (besides upgrades which are a huge pain in the rear end on larger setups, although they bring cool functionality especially on a smaller scale) that you need to craft some gears and machine frames and then some other subcrap. You end up crafting like 8 times to make one thing long before you have autocrafting setup. It's dumb as gently caress because crafting is both not fun and really awful when done like that. Maybe it'd be less annoying if NEI auto crafted the subitems or something or told you exactly what you were missing for all that poo poo. That wouldn't work very well with the TE multi-tiered frame recipes or the obnoxious multiple gear recipes most packs have, but at least it would remove the tedium from crafting.

I realize having to setup stuff from a mod to get a material is a type of subcrafting, but if I can click the question on NEI and it shoves all the stuff in the box to make the next thing then it's A-OKAY by me. It's when you have to gather stuff for sub crafts and then keep going deeper in the stupid crafting ui that it annoys me. Like, 4 crafts deep you're making sticks and some ingots, and then for the next craft you need to craft some other dumb crap from basic materials, and them for the next craft up you need to craft blablablabla, then finally you have your actual item which is made from 4 different one of those. gently caress mods that do that so loving hard. It's not fun, it's not good, it's not challenging. It's just clicking in nei forever and wasting your time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

I'm definitely turning off the MFR spawner, and I'll dig through the EIO config to see how much I can to do it, though I do think I want it to be possible to spawn mobs. Just be suitably expensive and late-game. I may disable all grinders besides the IE one, too. Again, lots of ideas to test and explore, a lot of these ideas are just "I dunno, maybe" at this point. It's important to see how things play out and how the alterations I'm already making affect other things.
Just need to be careful about what grinders can provide vs what other things can provide. It's okay if you can setup a few grinders for a flow of certain things, but in lots of packs you can use grinders to get infinite whatever the heck you want.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

McFrugal posted:

Okay, so, Tinkers Construct touts itself as a mod that lets you keep using the same tool instead of replacing it like you have to do with vanilla tools. In that case, can someone tell me why, WHY, there are diminishing returns when repairing tools?
There aren't diminishing returns while repairing tools. Not even with IguanaTweaks. Hope that helps!

I also don't recommend moss at all on things like hammers. It repairs too slowly and sitting around waiting for moss isn't my idea of a good time. I usually just use a stone head because I'm lazy and it's easy to repair. Stonebound is overpowered as heck although I heard rumblings that it might get changed but until then ardite parts+stone head is really fast for hammers and stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 19, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Immersive Engineering is a pretty good mod. I've never used it before now. FTB Infinity Expert mode introduced me to it, of all things.

It has a decent power system that is interchangeable with RF or EU, its wiring system is solid, it's aesthetically solid, and it has lots of multiblock machines. The crusher and excavator are both pretty sweet, and water wheels are somewhat unique in the minecraft modding scene. It seems really well done so far. And that's with the infinity expert mode nerfs to recipes and stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Reb posted:

Jesus Christ, this game this such a mess with all of these versions and every mod/resourcepack being updated randomly to different versions then stopping. What are some good, leaning towards medieval resource packs that are updated to at least 1.8?
oVo's Rustic Redemption is my favorite vanilla pack: here I usually remove all the custom ui/inventory pictures but that's mostly because I like the default ones and don't want to relearn them.

For modded minecraft I use Faithful > Unity > Default (so both faithful and unity packs but with faithful taking priority). They both have support for lots of mods.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

So what's the deal with FTB Infinity Expert Mode anyway? I assume it doesn't have HQM so is it just raw progression towards better things, or how's it structured?
It's pretty grindy and forces you to use some odd stuff. You can even craft creative things eventually with recipes like this:

But, it's a really drawn out play experience. Nearly everything is gated behind this or that tech. Lots of things are nerfed.

The first time I tried to play expert mode I just said gently caress it I'm out. But after thinking about what I wanted in modded minecraft recently I went back to it and it's fairly enjoyable as long as you want a sort of forced progression and to not be able to do what you want when you want or to just use your familiar/favorite mods. I'd consider it less brutal than iguana tweaks or the dumb hunger mods that force you to eat 20 different foods. It doesn't have either of those. But it does require lots of gregtech type stuff (it doesn't have gregtech).

Given how ridiculous the tech tree and resource gating is, it's kind of surprising that certain things are so easily done on expert mode. The only real "this is awful" moment is making the blast furnace. You either need to lead a horse or two with leads all the way to your smeltery, get extremely lucky on gunpowder, or somehow have a bunch of ender pearls. With the horse thing it helps if you've found a saddle and also if you have wheat so you can heal them while they are in the smeltery.

There is a guide on reddit that's a word document with various "ages" and goals. That should help people get into it if grindy/borderline tedious sounds like fun. But at least the pack has goals and lots of gated progression. You don't get access to AE2 until you no longer even need it, for example. You don't get access to TE/EnderIO machines until a long time in. It's not very intuitive at all how some of the progression works so I'd definitely check out the "goals" section of that guide if you play.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 26, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I have to ask though, at what point is AE2 "no longer needed"?
I mean it's still needed just it is really drat expensive and deep in the tech tree. By the time you get there you likely have auto sorted inventories and some form of autocrafting already established.

I should add that after the first few tiers of stuff it becomes fairly normal modded minecraft just with more crafting requirements. The guide from reddit is only really useful for knowing how to progress. It suggests inefficient or downright silly things like making solar panels instead of doing a tree farm -> steam of some kind later on.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 26, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Black Pants posted:

Speaking of, Ars Magica 2 seems to have a bad reputation with people for reasons I am not privy to. Just a lot of people really glad it's not included in certain packs I've seen. Does anyone happen to know why that is?

Also, Twilight Forest is a crazy self-contained adventure mod that is about the only one-stop solution to what you want, and Blightfall is an interesting challenge pack. But uh.. way too much for someone who hasn't played modded Minecraft before, as is the case with most others of its ilk.

Also Factorio is an imitation of what Minecraft has been for years, not the other way around. :colbert:
Ars Magica was extremely buggy in the past, can still be buggy sometimes now (I think some of the custom mobs don't play nice with certain other mods or kcauldron or something like that), and at one point development was stopped on it. It may still be stopped.

It's a good and fun mod and I have nothing against it. It has a bad rep with some sperglords. I was playing on some public modded server with 30+ people on that had ars magica 2 and it never really caused issues. IC2, of all things, caused more issues with chunk corruption.

Note it may actually be a dead mod that will cease to exist after this patch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

'gregtech' and 'being easier to use' are at odds here so chances are that's not going to happen
TFC prospecting is fair enough for GT. You still miss quite a bit and have to do some guess work and hunting around. I remember the prospecting picks also break or something. It was a total pain in the rear end to find a vein in TFC the first time, but once you find it it's amazing because there's so much ore. Just loads of it.

ProjectE style prospecting is not because divining rods are busted and awesome.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I've actually started playing FTB: Infinity Expert Mode, and it's pretty fun. The progression is really layered and different, and the way the recipes have been changed really promotes cross-mod dependency. Even little things like Thaumium being made from manasteel instead of iron makes a big difference. There's also a lot of really convenient infrastructure to build, IE is something really different from what I'm used to, and the whole structure of the thing is geared towards stockpiling ridiculous amounts of resources for each successive tier. It's a lot like New Horizons, but without all the sub-recipes and processing machines (screwdrivers, files, soft hammers, screws, bolts, rings, etc), and seems geared more towards allowing excess than preventing it. As was mentioned before, the very endgame goals are to craft creative-mode resources, so literally infinite energy is one of them.

My only real stumbling block so far is early game diamonds, since you need 10 to get your first machines and another 12 to get your first true gating machine, the Rock Crusher. Luckily I guess that's a problem solved by just continuing to dig around. I'm aiming to get a lapis-infused Fortune hammer early on and a silky pick to compliment, but at this point I'm not sure what my best bet for materials is. Signalum is tempting (though I can't access it quite yet), the downside would be a high repair cost, and hammers can't really benefit from Moss as much because of the huge durability count.

I like not having Iguana Tweaks to level up weapons, which was a chore, but I miss the swappable tool parts. You really have to have your things together before you start upgrading your tools.
Just use an all stone hammer/broadaxe with diamond enchant, for the broadaxe you can use a wood tool rod because it cuts so fast anyway, use compressed cobblestone to repair them. Once you get access to the nether do the same thing. Stone hammer head + all ardite. It's the best way to exploit TiC and it's why Iguana Tweaks removes stone. They are pretty much the best tools because stonebound is busted.

Tool Forge is gated behind some tech. You'll be using a not hammer for a while.

I've been playing infinity expert alone on my own server, and I took a few day detour to unlock gendustry which requires a whole lot of bee breeding with apiaries. I've never done bees before and gendustry being gated kind of has motivated me. It seems like a massive time investment. I guess with gendustry it wouldn't be from what people have said. I'm at the very end of the bee breeding now (have excited and windy, getting earthen, these are pretty easy with high chances), it took something like 40 generations on 4 queens to get a single breed (with 3x soul frames) earlier on in the tree to point out how tedious bee breeding can be. I also need to decide what I'm doing for power. I haven't setup an ic2 reactor yet and you need to unlock to further tech stuff at some point so maybe I'll just do that. But I kind of want to do something else first. I'm intentionally avoiding making a tree farm for charcoal, although I'm not even sure I can make plastic sheets yet.

Taffer posted:

Does FTB infinity have a quest book or do you have to stumble through the altered progression with just NEI?

I wanted to try the pack out but it's so bloated to a ridiculous degree with garbage that it uses 3.3GB of memory at first launch in the main menu. And it crashes when you add any texture pack, without fail. Even after I stripped out the 10 most bloated mods it still crashed on me. And lol I'm never gonna play MC with vanilla textures, full stop.
I don't actually know. There is a google doc with a guide to it, although whoever wrote it recommends lots of inefficient stuff. But it does give clear goals. I think there is in an in-game book but I don't know how to get it.

Someone managed to get ftb infinity to <1gb of ram. I think you have to remove/edit the hats mod and a few other things. If you google it you can find the person's adventure doing it. Its load time isn't too bad, and whether it usees 3.3gb of 8gb is irrelevant to me. The server pack uses a much smaller amount of memory so most of it is probably due to the naive resource caching system and lots of mods (hat mod specifically) having loads of resources to keep in memory at all times even when the hats aren't displayed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 31, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Anything in particular stand out? I've been using that doc as heavy reference and I want to avoid any major pitfalls but I'm not familiar enough with the mod to recognize them.

Also, gendustry is awesome and just about the only way I'd ever touch bee breeding in any modpack, but here I just don't see the point. I'm not sure what bee breeding can get you in this pack you couldn't get quicker and easier with other means.
The tech progression requirements are on point and helped me immensely, but the inefficiency comes in min-maxing certain stuff. Like solar panels are cost inefficient relative to other means of producing power. I mean if you want to do solar then who cares, just do it, I'm debating doing it at some point.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way to figure out the sweet spot for MFR farm machine range given how long they take to check each square? An emerald range upgrade is huge but takes like 3 minutes to check its space. I suppose you could pair an emerald harvester with an emerald planter but that seems incredibly efficient because I don't suppose the machines will sync up their block update search. Should we just stick to Lapis upgrades for the most part? When are bigger ranges useful?
If you are using agricraft and not enhancing ticks in some way then a 9x9 with iron upgrade is fine.

If you are using normal crops/anything that can be fertilized or bone mealed then you only need 1 tile of dirt and the harvester will work non-stop provided you are producing enough growth stuff. Maybe a few more if it's something like wheat, but 1 tile for trees.

If you're growing trees without bonemeal then I don't remember a good size but just don't go overboard.

A big thing to remember with MFR farms and stuff is to put them in their own chunk. They are a big source of fps lag if you put them in a chunk with lots of other stuff going on.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait, what? So if you have a multistory building with tons of MFR stuff happening, it'll be slower than if they were side-by-side in different chunks?
Just tons of MFR farm stuff shouldn't be a big deal. I built a one chunk base once that included pretty much everything you could imagine and then some (including intricate logistics pipes network, and 1.5.x Universal Electricity mods) and having a 1x1 harvester+planter going with fertilizer would tank my fps to 18. With it turned off my fps would be 100+. Moving it to another chunk solved the problem.

On my laptop the fps would be 0-1, around 38-40 without it/after it was moved. But that base took hundreds of hours because there was no auto mining in that mod pack, no ae, no tic, no chunk loaders, it was really fun honestly. It also had the mod with the ogres.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 8, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Bees are the one thing i keep trying to learn but never do. Ive tried bee happy like 3 or 4 times and i still dont have a clue.

Give me some basics!!
How do I get bees? You break some hives out in the wild with a scoop.

Ignoble? Pristine? Ignoble last for around 200 generations, pristine lasts forever.

Princess? Drone? Princesses consume a drone to become a queen, once the queen dies out a new princess and however many drones it makes pop out.

Bees have two "breeds". The active one and the passive one. You need a beealyzer to check out your bee stats. There are a bunch of stats I'm not covering them.

The princess+drone you use gives you a chance at mutation which you can find more on in NEI or some wiki, and it also gives a chance of getting any combination of the four active and passives of each princess+drone you put in. If you put in a princess with the same active+passive and a drone with the same active+passive it will just pop out identical drone(s) (quantity depends on the stat for drones) and an identical princess to what you put in. Pure-breds are useful because you can amass drones to force whatever queens you have lying around to eventually become a purebred of those drones. It generally takes 3-8 drones to convert any one queen to their type.

You'll never run out of drones and your pristine princesses won't go anywhere unless you are trying to breed bees. When you are breeding you can end up with a pure of either of the two base types, a hybrid of either of the two types, a hybrid of the new mutation and one of the old types, or a pure of the mutation.

If you put a forest princess and a forest drone into an apiary generally 3 forest drones, 1 forest princess will come out. You can also get 0-a bunch of honey combs before they pop out. Bees produce their output while the queen is in the apiary ticking away.

I think that's the basic of bees. It was the part I really didn't get, because no one really laid it out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I think I'm at my limit for FTB: Infinity Expert.
Immersive Engineering's cables convert between RF and EU painlessly and are super cheap.

Logistics Pipes are pretty good but they have a bit of a learning curve. I don't even plan on using AE2 in expert. Maybe I will at some point as a vanity thing. I just have a massive block of storage drawers with logistics pipes connected to a storage controller (default route itemsink module, quicksort, I think I have a provider as well but it might be redundant). Then I have another block of big storage drawers with a polymorphic itemsink not set to default so it has higher priority. Stuff I'm massing goes there.

You can setup an ender chest that pumps stuff into the network and use a pouch to just toss inventory stuff around. You can also setup another pouch+chest (or the same one with a bit of trickery) to remote request items from your base anywhere at all. Even in other dimensions. It is a useful trick even with ae2, because you can have logistics pipes pull items out of your ae network and into an ender chest from anywhere in the world.

I don't have any other tricks. I play on a server and my stuff is chunk loaded. I haven't made a reactor yet. Instead I just have a ton of 8x generators for now. I need to get on the reactor thing, but I am at a sprawling tech curve thing and haven't been playing much. I want to make an excavator, I want to finish up my bee stuff now that I have gendustry unlocked, I need to get a jetpack going as well as some upgrades on the dark steel armor I made, and I guess the reactor is the other goal I have at the moment.

Expert is very much a waiting game and that's why I picked it. I tend to get to the point where nothing matters far too quickly in normal mod packs, lose interest, and quit. In expert I really don't feel like making an IC2 reactor or whatever so I'm kind of chilling, working on making my base look cooler, and exploring mods I wouldn't usually bother with. Well, I already knew logistics pipes because it's a really great mod that is criminally underused. That and, I am only playing like an hour or so per day tops.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 12, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
One guy, it sounds like you just want a filter not a retriever.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So you didn't have enough space to use servos on multiple sides of an input chest?
You can design systems that don't need retrievers and use servos instead, and servos are certainly more of a go-to craft, but you can alternatively use retrievers.

I don't remember when I last used a retriever but it's probably because enderio's itemducts are my go-to for crafting subsystems. They're definitely useful in situations where a single servo isn't good enough. I might have used retrievers to automate a series of presses for ae2 cpu crafting, but you can certainly do that without them as well. And much more efficiently with eio over te.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The best way to farm withers isn't to farm withers at all. It's to load up an ME drive full of nether stars (start small with a few), let a zombie pick it up, mfr spawn that zombie as an exact copy, and then use an enchant from one of the magic mods that has monsters dropping what they're holding, and then dupe the poo poo out of nether stars. Or anything you want, because you can just outright dupe the ME drive over and over. Not fixed in any modpack, likely works with more than just ME drives. Normally MFR exact copies won't drop what they're holding, but the enchant ignores that. It's also on hit not on death.

It's not even really an exploit. It is just how that works. It takes lots of infrastructure and deep progression into a magic mod to pull off, too. Automating all of that takes a certain amount of creativity as well, and I'm not entirely sure anyone has posted a video/pictures/a guide for automating all of the steps yet.

As far as automated wither farms, there should be a ton of videos, reddit posts, and imgur albums because people really love doing it. I've never understood why. There are a few tricks you can use, some more effective than others.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serifina posted:

I've just made eight sets of the iron shafts so I can make waterwheels. Believe me, those stupid engines are going flying.

I did have the capacitor configured correctly - orange for output (I've played with Immersive Engineering recently, but the last time I played with BC was 1.5.2). I was using stone kinesis pipes going from the capacitor to the back of all four lasers, and nothing happened. But the instant I ran power direct from the engines, they started working.

I haven't tried to make fluxducts yet. I'll look into them.
Do you have access to LV wiring from IE? It 100% works with capacitors and lasers.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mensrea posted:

Is this pretty much the consensus on IC2? I'm working on a pack where I'm more interested in just telling a story in a sci-fi setting and I included IC2 as the main tech mod just because I'm familiar with it. I really don't have any specific loyalty to the brand to be honest, I just need some machines for grinding up ores or making nitrocellulose or something, so would I be better off just swapping it out for mekanism or TE?

I've done what I can to try to address a lot of the general complaints through config changes and minetweaker, but drat, it sounds like a lot of people will never give something with IC2 the time of day.
Forestry is actually one of the better mods. Its power sources suck, but things like bees and tree breeding are pretty cool to do sometimes. In a specialized pack it's your call whether you want to delve into tree breeding/bees though.

IC2 is just fine. You'll never touch it in most packs if normal recipes are available for other mods. Otherwise, there's no harm in adding it if you want to give it a shot. It sounds like in your pack ic2 is a pretty decent choice because you aren't offering the other options. I suppose something like mekanism or factorization could be cool for a pack like that instead. IC2 has great tech progression and some really cool stuff these days.

Railcraft, eh. The machines constantly sap power still, rail is really inefficient in minecraft and I've never had a cool/practical setup for that. The only okay things from it are the tanks, crusher and blast furnace. Which are all out classed by the power creep of other tech mods. There's nothing wrong with railcraft these days either, but it's certainly the least cool mod of the three. It could be decent in this pack too if there's some compelling reason to build rail or some already setup/provided rail stuff. I don't know. It's one of the mods I've wanted to tinker with but probably never will.

And for a disclaimer, the first time I've personally built ic2 stuff was actually over the past month or two. I'm not someone set in their ways or attached to it due to the past.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Are there any good 1.8 modpacks or is everyone still hammering it together themselves?
1.8 is going to be skipped for 1.9, because updating from 1.8->1.9 is trivial but 1.7 -> later is much less trivial.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ImpactVector posted:

Yup, that's what I do too. And if you use the Extra Utilities ones mobs can actually spawn on them (since they're a block and not a tile).
Just make a 5x5 and fill out the extra space with solid blocks they can't spawn in.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AceClown posted:

Hey Rocko, I'm having an issue with BFSR that I wondered if you can help me.

I've got a pulveriser > Smelter setup going on and when I put Yellorite ore in it pulverises properly but then smelts to Uranium and there is a quest to get a lot of Yellorite bars.

Is this supposed to happen?
They are oredicted to be the same thing by default and should be interchangeable in recipes and hopefully the quest book.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fayk posted:

Whatt's with people SUPER nerfing Big Reactors settings? I get if you thought it was a bit powerful, or adjusted ore spawn rates higher, but in FB, the ore usage multiplier is 8x and thte RF output is 0.5 (both are 1x as defaults) so effectively BR output 1/16th the default. I wonder if I should try to message the modpack author in the hopes they don't actually use BR and didn't realize how crazy that is.

BR is very broken in terms of resource cost to build and power provided, and it scales ridiculously for something so simple to setup. Those settings are not 1/16 power by the way, they are just 1/2 power, the raw power of an item is irrelevant compared to rf/t output with how going infinite in minecraft works. With those settings BR is still probably the best unless you want to build x64 XU stuff. Early-mid game you can use augmented TE steam dynamos and then swap to BR later, too.

If you had to actively feed cryotheum, enderium, or whatever else you built the columns out of (nothing early game) that'd be cool. I just prefer power options with more maintenance and an actual cost to the items if they are crazy endgame stuff like BR. TPPI handled BR alright. Not sure if they nerfed power generation, but they made the reactors at least cost a ton of steel.

But at this point, BR and sort of XU caused power creep in other mods. It's trivial to get a power positive setup to power lasers with just TE steam dynamos, a bunch of the XU stuff, and of course BR.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 24, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It's not about filthy casual or left clicking at a wall? It's about the game being boring as poo poo when you hit mining lasers and infinite everything in 5-8 hours of play using only magic blocks that require no planning or thought at all.

The iron->steel change has no added grind. Just a tech gating. Steel costs the same as iron plus some coal generally. It just requires infrastructure.

I suggested reactors that use any kind of cooling to require it to be fed that coolant actively. That's not about grind either. It's about setting up infrastructure, even if it's an aqueous accumulator, to provide that coolant constantly. The builds that use coolants to begin with generally come later in the game anyway and are mostly beneficial to infinite setups, but you don't even use water for your baby's first <=1k rf/t reactor so it wouldn't even change that.

Br with stock settings is kind of like project E. It's fun once, but it completely kills the game after that. The old justification of "well 128 generators is not server friendly" doesn't even apply because xu has somewhat engaging x8 and x64 generators with neat setups, and TE's dynamos have augments now that make them output respectable power. Although lots of TE dynamos suffer from "why bother, steam dynamo exists" or "why bother, BR/xu exist" because they output the same rf/t independent of their tier and material/upkeep costs.

BR is a well coded mod and it looks cool and functions well. It just feels incomplete in the context of how it impacts gameplay. Even the "actively cooled" thing is a closed loop, which seems like a temporary testing thing rather than an intended longterm design. Beef even said he was going to add some kind of explosion/meltdown feature at some point but he never got around to it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 24, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serifina posted:

3) They're not going to load up the Curse client with malware - that'd be idiotic.
Counterpoint: They've already done this multiple times.

To be fair, I agree with everything else you said. And they didn't exactly intentionally load it up with malware it had more to do with their advertisers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 26, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Ok,

Universal cables are in the pack, but need 2 steel to make. (2 steel = 8 blocks, i needed `120 cables so 30 steel. In a blast furnace. ) At the time i had wind power i had just set up a blast furnace in order to get steel (all other ways seemed to be disabled. I had already set up my induction furnace and pulversived a few stacks of coal, but the coal just didnt go in. The rec is still there in NEI, but its been disabled on the machine. Oh and the furnace bricks need 4 blaze rods which was fun to get in the nether with stone weapons and iron armour.)

So steel was actually a big problem.

Fluctuating itemduct conencts with no problem. I tried them out on the ground, though the machine wasnt producing any power they visually connected with no problem. It wasnt until i got 115 blocks up into the sky that i found out it doesnt transfer any power from the turbine.

So long story short, gently caress that pack.
Put down an energy cube or capacitor or whatever at the top. You don't have to change the entire cable. Once you connect to a power storage thing you can connect a different type of cable to connect all the generators to the cube, or you can probably connect it directly to the generator if there's just one.

Use this tactic when making anything in modded MC. The more modular/self contained you make things the better.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 19, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serifina posted:

I am apparently the weird one out.

1) Sword 2)Pick 3) Shovel 4)Axe 5)Torches 6)Blocks/Cobble 9)Water 10) Food.
3) pick/hammer 4) pick/hammer 5) sword 6-7 bow
2 wrench/axe/whatever
8,9 or 0) food

The rest vary.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RaspberryCommie posted:

Anyone here really good with Computercraft/LUA?

Wanna set up a touchscreen menu for a restaurant on my server. I've more or less figured out the whole touchscreen code and stuff (and printers for receipts!), but I need to know if it's possible to export from my ME network based on what item on the menu was chosen, and if so how to do it. I am an extreme novice to LUA so I can't figure it out.
Connect to an export bus (or maybe interface) and then make the necessary ae2 api calls to do what you want to do.

You need to use Peripheral to wrap the export bus/interface. Then you use that object to make the necessary calls.

Here are all the ae2 api calls with brief descriptions. You can also see these in-game by wrapping the peripheral and then doing peripheral.getMethods(side that the export bus is on).

It's easier than it sounds but it takes a bit of trial and error.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

You can also just cheat that poo poo in if you want to, or use the better option and just not play that pack.

The Infinity pack i think works really really well until you hit that 'you have to use IC2' part of the pack. Then it is terrible.

It is such a step backwards from where you are in the pack that it sticks out like a sore thumb. Either the IC2 stuff needs to be the gate to the rest of the pack, or the IC2 stuff needs to be supe'd up to the point where its even semi useful where you encounter it.

The pack doesnt need RF converted to EU though. You need the ic2 reactor in order to progress with other parts of other mods.

The IC2 reactor is a gate, and a loving lovely one. Its like a forced stop on the freeway for no reason at all.
(getting rid of ic2 entirely from that pack would be a huge boost to it. )
I have to agree. I even did bees in infinity expert and I couldn't be bothered with the ic2 reactor. Seems like lots of work for nothing.

At least the prior gating has you building useful stuff for the most part. Or set it and forget it type stuff.

I totally would have done it if I had other people playing on my server, but by that point everyone had ducked out and I didn't really want to open it to goons because I am not sure how many people it could handle. If people borrow my bee stuff to get started it makes things pretty easy anyway.

By the time I got to the ic2 reactor I had infinite resources of anything bees could make, infinite power from culinary generators, and automated everything from logistics pipes. I ran out of motivation to grind through that stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Anias posted:

I liked seeing IC2 stuff in the pack because I hadn't run through IC2 stuff before. I found it interesting enough to build one fully automated uranium->iridium line of production just to build it once, and I think someone could probably come along and build IC3 and have an interesting mod.
I liked seeing IC2 stuff and didn't even mind the plates.

I just don't get the appeal of its nuclear reactor.