Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I play on a mediocre laptop and most modpacks just never even load.
I never really got into mods other than a map mod until 1.8/1.9 but just got tired of crashes once an hour with 20min load times. So I went back to 1.7.10 to try some modpacks. Most of those just dont even get past world creation before crashing.
Only thing that has worked for me is FTB Lite 3 and I just started adding from there.
Here is a list of my mod folder
I basically just pulled in a few things from Infinity and added a few things from the Curse launcher.
I copy the profile info and just load it in the regular Minecraft launcher since the Curse launcher is a complete resource hog.

ABO-MC1.7.10-BC7.1release4.0.9.jar
ActuallyAdditions-1.7.10-r21.jar
AutoCrafter2000-1.7.10-1.1.0.33.jar
autopackager-1.5.9a.jar
Bagginses-2.1.1.jar
bdlib-1.9.4.109-mc1.7.10.jar
BetterSprinting MC-1.7.10 v1.1.3.jar
BigReactors-0.4.3A.jar
BrandonsCore-1.0.0.12.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-builders.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-core.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-energy.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-factory.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-robotics.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-silicon.jar
buildcraft-7.1.16-transport.jar
BuildcraftAdditions-1.7.10-2.2.5.jar
buildcraft-compat-7.1.5.jar
Chisel-2.9.5.11.jar
CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.7.47-universal.jar
CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.1.2-325.jar
CoFHLib-[1.7.10]1.1.1-181.jar
CustomMainMenu-MC1.7.10-1.9.2.jar
D3Core-1.7.10-1.1.2.41.jar
denseores-1.6.2.jar
Draconic-Evolution-1.7.10-1.0.2g.jar
EnderCore-1.7.10-0.2.0.36_beta.jar
EnderIO-1.7.10-2.3.0.427_beta.jar
Eureka-1.7.10-3.0.2.jar
ExtraTiC-1.7.10-1.4.6.jar
extrautilities-1.2.12.jar
ezstorage-1.1.0.jar
fastcraft-1.23.jar
FastLeafDecay-1.7.10-1.4.jar
FlatSigns-1.7.10-universal-2.1.0.19.jar
forestry_1.7.10-4.2.14.62.jar
ForgeMultipart-1.7.10-1.2.0.345-universal.jar
FTBLib-1.7.10-1.0.18.3.jar
FTBUtilities-1.7.10-1.0.18.3.jar
generators-0.9.20.123-mc1.7.10.jar
GreenThumb-1.7.10-1.1.0.8.jar
Hats-4.0.1.jar
HatStand-4.0.0.jar
iChunUtil-4.2.2.jar
INpureCore-[1.7.10]1.0.0B9-62.jar
InventoryTweaks-1.59-dev-152.jar
Jabba-1.2.2_1.7.10.jar
journeymap-1.7.10-5.1.4p1-unlimited.jar
magicbees-1.7.10-2.4.3.jar
Mantle-1.7.10-0.3.2b.jar
mcjtylib-1.8.1.jar
MineFactoryReloaded-[1.7.10]2.8.1-174.jar
Morpheus-1.7.10-1.6.21.jar
mystcraft-1.7.10-0.12.3.02.jar
neiaddons-1.12.14.40-mc1.7.10.jar
NetherOres-[1.7.10]2.3.1-22.jar
NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.5.120-universal.jar
NotEnoughKeys-1.7.10-3.0.0b45-dev-universal.jar
ObsidiPlates-1.7.10-universal-3.0.0.18.jar
OpenBlocks-1.7.10-1.5.1.jar
OpenModsLib-1.7.10-0.9.1.jar
Opis-1.2.5_1.7.10.jar.disabled
OptiFine_1.7.10_HD_U_D4_MOD.jar
PortalGun-4.0.0-beta-6.jar
PortalGunSounds.pak
pressure-1.3.0.130-mc1.7.10.jar
ProgressiveAutomation-1.7.10-1.6.35.jar
RedstoneArsenal-[1.7.10]1.1.2-92.jar
ResourceLoader-MC1.7.10-1.3.jar
SimplyJetpacks-MC1.7.10-1.5.3.jar
SolarFlux-1.7.10-0.8b.jar
StorageDrawers-1.7.10-1.9.9.jar
StorageDrawers-Forestry-1.7.10-1.1.2.jar
supercraftingframe-1.7.10.3.jar
TConstruct-1.7.10-1.8.8.jar
ThermalDynamics-[1.7.10]1.2.0-171.jar
ThermalExpansion-[1.7.10]4.1.2-240.jar
ThermalFoundation-[1.7.10]1.2.4-114.jar
TiCTooltips-mc1.7.10-1.2.5.jar
TorchTools-1.7.10-1.2.0.27.jar
twilightforest-1.7.10-2.3.7.jar
Waila-1.5.10_1.7.10.jar
WailaHarvestability-mc1.7.10-1.1.6.jar
Wawla-1.0.5.120.jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is there any way to tone down the spawning of blue slimes?
I guess there is some ID conflict between biomes o plenty and twilight forest so they spawn in the overworld and man, there are loving shitloads of these things around.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I have had that problem so many times any never found a working fix for it.
Lots of posts everywhere suggesting fixes but nothing has ever worked for me.
I have always attributed it to a slow rear end processor.

Usually just end up starting a new map.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

When you open up inventory, the background gets darkened. Is there any way to change that to a brighter color?
Where I game it is very bright so I have to run a liteloader mod called gamma bright to even see when I am in a cave. But looking up things in NEI is tough especially stuff like EnderIO where every item is blackish.
On a dark inventory background I can barely see anything unless I just mouse over every item.

In general I use a program called Gamma Panel in games to change the brightness but that usually to gives everything a washed out look.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

There are quite a few decent tech mods in 1.9.4 and 1.10.2 already but they are much more crashy for me and slower in general.
1.7.10 is definitely much more stable.
I get a lot of weird game randomly pausing in the later versions.

I hope the microsoft version becomes modded.
That thing runs like a charm for me on my crappy laptop. But vanilla is so bleh after life in modded.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I tried to do that when you mentioned it earlier
Got a vanilla server running but getting a modded one going just gave me a days worth of errors.
I guess I just didnt have the patience that day to work through it.. I plan on giving it another try at some point though.
I downloaded the correct forge server version and everything. Im guessing that some of the mods were server mods and some client side mods.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

My internet has been down since Monday, FYI Minecraft stops letting you play offline after 3 days.

ImpactVector posted:

You should probably be running it as a server if you can anyway, even on the same computer, because that's the only way to get the game to use multiple processor cores. That way you can offload the world loading stuff to one core and have the UI/player stuff on another.

E: And yes, it can be a bit of a pain unless you can get a premade server download.

So with all my free time this week I sat down and got the 1.7.10 singleplayer/multiplayer world server thing going.
But sadly it was still fairly slow. I had server and game set up to a different processor but still it would take a few seconds for block updates and I got frequent disconnects.
This was with about 75 mods. Of course vanilla played fine but MC without mods is just boring.
Maybe dumping Biomes o Plenty, which I love but it may speed it up a bit.
I could maybe dump a few more mods like inventory tweaks but you'll have to pry my jetpack from my cold dead hands.

Also I finally got around to trying out Immersive Engineering's Excavator. Which was a huge pain to get the materials for and setup. I was hoping all that work would be worth it.
So after about a week or so of letting it run chunkloaded on a magnetite vein, the total was
55,238 iron
9,857 gold
Before any ore doubling/tripling. Waaay more than I thought it was going to be.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

What the gently caress? I never knew about this. Is that true? I'm not really okay with that.

Steam also does this. Though steam gives you more like 10 days.

I have had many internet woes over the past few years. Luckily many steam games can just run straight from the exe.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I use EnderIO-1.7.10-2.3.0.428_beta and just hook it up to Storage drawers. Works great and you only need 2 of the awareness upgrades besides the one needed to craft the panel.
Then you just make a warehouse full of the drawers that you rarely have to look at.
Included in that is a rftools modular storage lvl2, so when i get back from doing whatever I just pop the lvl2 card from my rftools tablet and switch it with the one connected to storage drawers. So that just slowly drains the items into the system while i'm mucking about.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

effsea posted:

Is there a world-gen mod/script that makes rivers' headwaters generate above sea level (and the rivers gradually "flow" down to sea)?

Alpha release but still pretty cool.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2346379-streams-real-flowing-rivers

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The blizz, basalz and the blitz are set to spawn at light level 8 as default in my config.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

ergot posted:

1. excellent av

2. What mod do you use to configure light level spawn permissions?

I dont use any mod for that. I pulled that out of the \config\cofh\thermalfoundation\common.cfg

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone use Fullthrottle Alchemist?
My newest game is the same as my last but with alchemist and Essential craft added.
My game seems exceptionally laggy and I am thinking its this mod.

There needs to be a list of laggy mods out there so I will know what to stay away from.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Noper Q posted:

Psi is compatible with the most recent version of Minecraft, and none of its documentation says anything about dependencies. What else ya got?

Also, I just tried Curse, but despite Psi having a page on Curse, there seems to be no way to get the client to recognize that I've downloaded it. And the mod doesn't show up the client's browser.

If you have Curse installed, search and download it through the client. You need to have Forge installed and Curse will install it and set it up for you. Curse will create a new minecraft instance with a new mods folder.

I think forge is the step you are missing. Most mods need forge to run, with a few needing one called liteloader.

Give it a week and you'll have 150 mods. Curse is like a bag of loving potato chips.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 11, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This guy has a video for installing forge and then running the mods. Should be able to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCsUnxPTz6U

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I watch Ethos modded Minecraft lets play and in episode 7 he was using a mod called Pistronics to make drawbridges and doors.
Never used it but another option for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhMcvBVAxw

https://mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/237211-pistronics-2

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Fullthrottle Alchemist deconstructs items into their elements. You research new items when deconstructing. Then use the elements to build the new items.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone else noticed lower FPS after the Anniversary update?
I could swear It has slowed my game down since then and it almost feels like I have mouse smoothing on even though that is turned off.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

That certainly made a difference. Thank you. Though it is still noticeably slower it is playable again.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

As someone who's just got back into Minecraft and MC mods after nearly a year, is NEI supposed to block showing the tooltip highlights in the player inventory?

EDIT: Also, any mods in 1.10.2 that can stop bat spawning? Dear loving lord I forgot how much I hate those things.

I used to use Rabbit Remover but it looks like its only for 1.8.9-1.9.4.

Also The windows anniversary update had hosed with my graphics settings which why I was still kinda slow after turning off that DVR thing.
Dell laptop with Celeron processor and intel video I kinda need the lowest settings just to run minecraft (loving java).

On the plus side, after trying out one magic mod after another and not liking any of them I finally found Ars Magica which is what I wanted in a magic mod all along. Though when i logged in today, something bugged out and my magic levels reset to 1. :/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I tend to use Actually additions which has a basic generator but that is usually just to get a canola oil generator started which I usually stick with up until I get some ethanol going.

Actually additions has a ton of random poo poo in it, and is generally pretty useful.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Thats the second time Ars Magica reset my spell points back to 3 (the starting amount). Still keep my mana and spells but cant create any new spells unless I cheat them back in. Which is fine on single player, but on a server that could get to be a pain in the rear end.
Over all though it is a pretty fun mod.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

SugarAddict posted:

I have to ask if you are using the latest version and the last time you reinstalled the pack, as well as if there are any other mods that might be unstable. Sometimes modpacks get corrupted or something and have to be reinstalled.

I am using using FTB Lite with quite a few additions. It is the last release of AM2 And in general this has been the most stable Minecraft has been in awhile. No real crashes in quite a bit.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

A question about chunks, in 1.7.10 if it matters.

Inevitably after starting a bunch of tree/crops/pig/chicken/cow farms my game starts to lag a little. Especially after the tree farm with its large amount of block updates.

Would it be better to throw all my automated farms in the spawn chunks or layered at my base which is also chunk loaded?
Or does it not matter either way, because as long as the chunks are loaded it will be lagging me out?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Baby Stego

Anyone use Jurassicraft?

I cloned a Velociraptor before and kinda forgot about it and now its gone.
Do you need to feed these fuckers?

Just like all those lizards I had when i was a kid. 3 weeks later I look and they are dead.

e: Seems you can at least in later versions. Can find little info in 1.7.10 version though.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 30, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Devor posted:

There were several of the youtube modpacks with Duncan et al that had it. I think Dinos had a tendency to grow enormous, clip through walls, and escape. And sometimes just clip through while still small. Feeding them was definitely also involved to prevent starving to death, although I think the cattle feeding machines worked for them.

Turns out just standing with wheat selected and it would slowly count down, so it was eating. The Actually Additions feeder doesnt seem to work though. I will try a powered feeder later.

I threw a pig in with it at first before I remembered that Stegos were herbivores.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The Actually Additions mod appears to be the only thing that has rules for it, and it gates behind a machine that apparently needs nether quartz.

Actually Additions needs redstone to make the Reconstructor which is the gateway to other machines. Those machines use a Black Quartz which is found in the overworld down at redstone level and is mineable with a stone pick (I think).

If you are making a modpack with it, I have always considered it a kind of cheaty mod. All its crops grow like crazy and the reconstructor makes getting nether wart and leather super easy.
There is s omuch string giving flax growing everywhere that I usually have a sleeping bag made long before I have even seen a sheep.
But its config is quite extensive and everything can be turned off or rates changed.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 4, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is that why all of my maps degenerate soon after I start to automate?
Because I use MFR extensively. And tend to stack farms in one chunk to keep less chunks loaded.

Speaking of, as my 2nd tier power gen I usually use a tree farm using the saplings in a forestry fermenter/still for ethanol and wood/charcoal into steam dynamos. But I seem to be getting jack for saplings this go. Anyone have a good layout for a tree farm? I am thinking either 2x2 dirt/slab squares or 2 dirt/2 slab rows might work.
For next time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

bbcisdabomb posted:

That's good to know, and is probably why everything started running better when I switched from 6x harvesters to 1x upgraded one.

It's not a tree farm, but running a stuffed eggplant farm with 8x culinary generators was enough to get me by to Immersive Engineering crazy power gen.

e. If I was to redesign my culinary generator setup I'd use two upgraded harvesters sharing the same pipe, but seperated by a chunk boundry, like:

[f][h][d]|[h][f]
([f]=farmland, however much you need [h]=harvester [d]=duct of whatever kind you want |=chunk boundry

A gold upgrade in each should give you as many ingradients as you need.

Ignore me if you've done this before or you don't have HarvestCraft/ExUtilities.

double and also fake e. Do mega-rubber trees drop mega-rubber saplings? They would keep a harvester running for quite a while each and provide a shitload of saplings.

I dont use harvestcraft so I never really used the culinary.
Mega rubber trees do not drop mega saplings, Just shitloads of normal ones.
Also on this world I have 2 attempts with the mega tree and a Tinkers lumber axe. Only took about 1/2 the tree. Now I have shitloads of sky blocked out and no patience to finish chopping.
never even thought about using the harvester on it until it was 1/2 gone now it doesnt work.
I also found a sacred rubber tree sapling. Which I was smart enough to google before planting that fucker and screwing up the entire world.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

Didn't we have a guy post in here about planting one of those, then had a Harvester working on it for hours and it was nowhere near finished?

Picture at the bottom of this post of the dent the harvester had made.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&pagenumber=126&perpage=40#post425675046

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I sat down recently and did testing on the Thermoelectric with both lava/water and cryo/pyro.
lava/water on 2 sides 15RF, 2lava/2water 30RF
cryo/pyro 2 sides 30RF and 2cryo/2pyro 60RF.

Decent enough but you really have to have a lot to do anything.

I will have to try the Blutonium next.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Jalapeno ice cream.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Having a problem with the Buildcraft refinery. I can see it in NEI and I can spawn it in and use it. I know the recipe from googling. I just cant build it.
I checked through the config and cant see anything that is disabling it. I can only guess that some other mod might be disabling it. Or its just plain bugged.

Could it be Forestry or MFR.
Also, after watching through some lets plays, I realized that I have never tried the robots. Giving that a go now.

e: the refinery problem seems to be from buildcraft additions

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 13, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

While watching Direwolfs Regrowth series I discovered something very strange. After googling it, it seems that NEI adds the ability to just mouse over and scroll while in a chest to move items.
I dont think I have ever heard anyone mention this before or seen it previously. But its a game changer for me.

Hmm, lets me add items to enderios inventory panel but not take from it.

Also Ars Magicas illusion blocks are not working quite right for me. Maybe its because I have all graphics to lowest. But this is the only time where they have actually looked like the blocks they are put next to but are giving me this bizarre Escher-like view. Most of the time they are invisible or purple/foggy.

They have 3 different types of this block and none seem to work for me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

In the long quest to find a modpack that actually runs well enough to play on my Dell laptop with intel graphics and celeron proc, I have installed Agrarian Skies 2 and it runs quite well.

I have installed quite a few modpacks but this is the first one that has been playable right from the start for me. Though I did mess with a few variables like hunger.

I have installed most of these mods separately at times but not thought they were good enough to keep. But I know I am a quick decision maker and sometimes skip poo poo that could actually be fun. So a modpack that forces me to do it is the way.

Its a little grindy at first trying to get enough dirt to do anything. I'm not big on layered/convoluted stuff ( i will never install gregcraft).
But a few days in and I am enjoying it.

Thanks Jaded.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Playing Agrarian Skies 2 and my Blood Altar seems to have stopped accepting blood.
Im only on the 3rd quest in that chain so I havent used it that much.
Tried creating a new altar and relogging but that didnt help.
Jumped ahead and created the item that tells you how much is in there and it says the orb has 5,000 lp and the altar has 0 lp.

e: I think maybe I am misunderstanding this blood poo poo.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 29, 2016

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

McFrugal posted:

Orbs contain Life Points that can be used by tools and rituals. Blood in the altar is liquid lp basically, which can only be used for making items via the altar IIRC. You can't get blood/LP out of the orb and back into the altar.

The only way to get blood in the altar is to hurt something. Either by giving your own hearts to the altar, sacrificing a mob on the altar, or using the ritual of torment or whatever to harm mobs around the altar. The ritual is usually what people use to generate large amounts of LP, by either autospawning mobs for it or abusing mobs that heal themselves (like Witches).

I was under the impression that the orb was like a second tier knife. I guess that i just had enough Lp in the altar at first that I didnt notice that using the orb wasnt filling the altar but itself. After moving to agriculture for abit then back it dawned on me.

I really like Agrarian Skies 2 but it does have me jumping around quite alot between systems so that im missing a few points here and there.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Playing Agrarian Skies 2

First real time trying Botania. Constantly seeing unknown status on all plants and spreaders even after just sleeping. Do I need to click on them with the wand every time or are they working fine? I like to fight ocd wherever I can. :D

Made a mob trap using Extra Utilities conveyors which works great but I made the same thing in the end and get squat. EUs conveyors definitely spawn enderman in the overworld, why arent they doing it in the end? I used 2 stacks of slabs to make my way out from the island. There are clouds around but i dont see enderman spawning on them or anywhere near where I am.
What am I missing?

AS2 was my first real try at the magic mods to force myself to give them a try. botania is decent enough. I like Thaumcraft so far but its just a real pain to find anything in that book as it seems to like to discover things I didnt plan on discovering as I am just trying to move the drat screen around. And finding things in the book can be a huge pain. It seems to have a search function that doesnt even work.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Leave them unless you notice something isnt working. You can even lose the known status after unequipping the wand.

Thaumcraft is good if you know what your doing. blightfall is a pretty good intro to it.

McFrugal posted:

Botania objects will not display their status in real time via clicking on them with the wand. That's just an instant readout. There are visual indications of object status, though. Most obvious is that mana pools fill up. Less obvious is that passive generating flowers will start to emit particles if they're full of mana.

Just put some gaps in the conveyors. Endermen will wander like any other mob, and will get caught by the conveyors.

Thanks, I will ignore the status thing then.
Just killed the Wither, so maybe i will give cursed earth a try for a mob trap in the end.

I am liking Thaumcraft golems. They are just damned handy and not very laggy compared to MFR.
I foresee me sticking to Thaumcraft if only for the golems.

I did install blightfall when I saw someone mention it, but it is a little slow on my system.

I saw a vid that direwolf did before with redstone detection of mana pools with an autofeeder using endoflames. Gotta refind that and try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Magres posted:

The Gourmaryllis (food eating flower) is way more potent than Endoflames. You can use a Hovering Hourglass with a Drum of the Wild to harvest a field of potatoes, a Hopperhock to hoover them up and shove them into a chest, a couple Hoppers to shunt them into furnaces (powered by an Exoflame), then Hoppers to shunt cooked potatoes into Open Crates that drop them for Gourymaryllis to eat and turn into mana.

If you have pipes from any mod you please then it's really easy to scale it up to several furnaces and Gourmaryllises and to really pump a ton of mana out. With no pipes you could probably do some shenanigans with a chest in a minecart but I don't know those mechanics well enough to rattle off a build for it.

For reference, an Endoflame can put out 30 mana per second. A Gourmaryllis fed Baked Potatoes will spit out 1600 mana per baked potato and take 2.5 seconds to process it, so one will put out 640 mana.

Thats a huge difference, I will have to give it a try. Thanks.