Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Do you have any suggestions for v1.2.5 modpacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Thanks, that was it. Weird.

I have been vexed by it before but it's probably a bit more efficient and nicer on servers. Like, presumably the network won't keep polling them for "hey, got any energy? got any energy?" unless they are actually active.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

KingLemming posted:

That's why we have boring stuff like EnderIO now.

hahaa, wow.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thermal expansion is better for performance than enderio, but you can get right up KingLemming's nose by implying the opposite

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually mandatory volcanos were good, and cool, and my friend

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ductile Ingot

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

carry the flint with you

craft it with your damaged pickaxe

you don't need a table

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm glad Modular Power Suits is coming back because it was always the best mod

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

Wut?

No, seriously, wut?

RF production is pretty simple, and cheap, even without cross-mod insanity. A single piece of coal or charcoal generates thousands, and coal converted into liquidated coal generates significantly more. Lava is a simple power source, even without pumps (as long as you have Nether access, or can generate blaze rods)... And that's just Thermal Expansion. Other mods add tons of ways to generate RF, often without much hassle at all, or make existing ways even easier.

McFrugal posted:

in Blightfall

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've got a rod of terra firma right h oh gently caress wrong thread

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Make it a technological setting and have it so that between the surface being deadly, the underground is full of ruins and technology you can hook up.

Basically, Star Wars: The Old Republic's Taris mixed with Fallout, sprinkled with death flowers. :shobon:

Plus you could have neat points of interest, accidentally hooking up a reactor that starts leaking, but fixing it up gives you a working reactor? Exploring the dusty ruins of bookshops, looking for leather to scrape by? Using railway systems to travel quickly through the less-dangerous underground?

I would like a pseudo-Caverns of Qud Minecraft pack.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I was figuring on was using it as a mild resource sink if players teleport a lot. As in, if you teleport to a secondary or tertiary beacon a lot it has a small chance to break. If it breaks you need to feed it some resources to teleport away from it. What I was figuring on was that you can teleport to anything you've visited all the time but some things can prevent you from teleporting from.

Personally I don't really like the "woops random chance you have to spend resources!!" thing for teleporters. It'd be nice if to get teleporters working you had to create local self-sustaining power grids; nearby portals could just need e.g. an ex nihilo crucible + magma dynamos, or even for you just to put saplings in a tree farm, but the weird difficult-to-reach ore mountain (c.f Blightfall floating city) could need an entire turbine big reactor that plugs into that dangling coolant pipe.

I've got no idea how you'd enforce that other than stealing Material Energy's gimmick and basically have the "fix teleporter" quest require you to turn in all the ingredients you'd need, and in exchange get an AE2 spatial card with the required setup on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jvie posted:

Making the player to build stuff around each teleporter sounds like it'd get old fast. I'd rather have the network accept resources from any node so the player can just upgrade their base.

I'm not sure if I understand you. I thought you meant that each teleporter required on-site power so the player had to build stuff near it to provide that? Or do you mean that the player should just provide the materials for the setup? Enforcing stuff shouldn't be a problem. I'm implementing the teleporters from scratch so I can make them demand whatever to activate.

I reckon the player should build stuff around the teleporter. I just don't know how you'd enforce e.g. this one needs magma dynamos, that one needs biofuel, the third will only take botania.

I think it would be better to have the player encouraged to branch out and do different things, rather than simply go for the most efficient way of churning out shitloads of RF at each juncture. Maybe have it so each teleporter has like a preferred input but you can bruteforce it for more RF from another source, I dunno. Or if you make the "do different things" directive come as part of upgrading a base's central computer or something (e.g. a Mana Diamond to unlock this teleporter, that one needs a Redstone Energy Cell) I guess that could work.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Are there any similar packs to Galactic Science on the technic launcher?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why aren't many HQM modpacks on Technic

like someone's cloned Ag Skies 2 but the modpack's unavailable for download. i can see no sign of Banished or Galactic Science but i might just be retarded

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

(mostly the golems, they're apparently getting a full rework again)

getting pipeified

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man, no-one is walking away from this conversation looking good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wait, do endoflames wither then? I know you've said they're passive mechanically but I thought it was just the "plonk down and forget" plants that had the Vision-o-scope applied.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Any good, recent HQM mods on the Technic launcher, apart from Blightfall? I've been functionally computerless for a bit (although have continued shitposting by other means), dunno if any good ones have come out recently

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's BFSR and is it on Technic

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the megasperg posts are here (Corporea), here (flowers1), and here (flowers2), and they're good, and powerful, and my friend

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

did someone say "needlessly complicated rats nest of cables"

meet the agricultural complex for a new generation! run off a handful of steam dynamos, once populated with the appropriate beasts it automatically produces whatever animal products or plants you could possibly want, except for some reason potatos and carrots because OMP-i's done something weird with them

i'm still yet to add the fertiliser section and get the fluid output finalised

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah but in fairness you don't need the numbers

genuinely impressed and pleased by the latest update

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Not necessary my foot. I spent like an hour automating a lava system to feed some thermalilies only to discover that thermalilies aren't worth jack squat compared to a charcoal farm for endoflames, despite being harder to make and harder to automate. Time totally wasted entirely because someone decided actually displaying the numbers is less immersive or whatever.

did you not experiment with a single thermalily first

or did you just assume

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hahaa why the hell are the chickens hostile

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

It seems like we all have our own views on what a mod should do. and all i keep reading is "mod maker X doesnt like my suggested change" or Greg has his "vision"

So lets have suggestions for a goon mod. and then lets make it. (1.8 of course though, no messing with 1.7.10)

realistic creeper vaginas

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I always wanted a motorcycle or attack helicopter mod, and drat the feasibility

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the mod drama is coming from inside the thread!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, uh, Agrarian Skies 2

the entire - the entire - thermal expansion part of the "make machines to make life easier!" quest branch is gated behind you having enderium and an eye of ender

i mean you can make it in a smeltery, and you get blaze powder from sifting dust, but jesus christ

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mods please

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm kinda running out of stuff to do in AS2

once you get a sifting chain, a farm, and a kitchen complex set up you sort of go post-scarcity. had fun loving around with thaumcraft but have just got a primordial pearl so am coming to the end of that. plus Blightfall was a better way to use thaumcraft.

might need to try one of the dafter modpacks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Another way to look at it is that a stack of yellorite ore put through a pulveriser gives you 128 crafting ingots, but 255 ingots when used as fuel (128 + 64 + 32 + 16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1), meaning big reactors are even more efficient than they first seem.

e: curse you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just build a large reactor without caring about efficiency because once you're post-power you're pretty much post-scarcity

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, regrowth

how do i get infinite water into pipes

am i missing something really obvious, or what? i was hoping to use obsidian pipes to suck up regenerating water source blocks from the world, but alas. do i need to jury rig some abomination involving farming water seeds and crafting them with buckets before forcing them into a tank to empty their contents?

also while i'm at it, what are my auto-farming options? i've just sort of waited until golems, because i couldn't be bothered setting up a drum of the wild -> redstone mana blaster -> hopperhock -> drawer system thingamajig simply because my resource needs haven't been that colossal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

drum of the wild doesn't work

lol what

can i use one of those botania mannikin things with a horn of the wild, then? the horn definitely works

i mean this is pretty idle chatter as i am a hair's breadth away from golems and a full essentia farm, but it might be handy for others

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mensrea posted:

would I be better off just swapping it out for mekanism or TE?

a million times yes

TE and BigReactors

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you are very weird

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speaking of very weird, what's that gregtech pack people were playing recently that had like six stacks of clay needed to make a screw or something

and where can i get it

i'm sick of Regrowth and i've got the sperg itch

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thanks i've got my special gaming mask all ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm, getting to the end of my first day in New Horizons... wonder how you make torches...

oh

oh