Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

new horizons, day three

having rendered an entire tree down into six torches against the pitch-black night, i have set out on a quest to find copper. i personally have my doubts on whether copper exists as a concept in the world of gregtech, but the quest book insists that it does. small copper ores torment me. they may provide an ingot or two, but the quest book will not accept them. no, it says. i want malachite. i want chalcopyrite. the small ores are supposed to be signposts to greater deposits. they are lies

talc ore mocks me, embedded in the cliff faces, hanging just out of reach and the same colour as malachite. grossular and fuckin' garnet ore studs every available surface of all biomes ever. the black slashes of mineral sand are everywhere, and i begin to resent having to process so much iron. i have an infinite supply already - picking up oil in a clay bucket transmutes the container into metal. i assume this is the same strange alchemy that makes flint swords set mobs on fire, and that makes random explosions happen when i kill things

i have stolen materials for a smeltery from a neighbouring village, that i might process metals without laboriously draining a swamp of water one bucket at a time to put together the necessary seared bricks. it turns out i need oven gloves to move lava, which are made out of extremely flammable cotton. chests in dungeons, mineshafts contain stacks and stacks of lavishly cooked feasts, and shards of iridium, chrome, steel. an embarrassment of riches that i cannot process as i am stuck in the stone age, grubbing for flints, clad in stolen silver trousers and boots that a flaming spider dropped.

where the gently caress do i find copper? is this a biome thing or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think you should play gregtech new horizons it's really good and fair

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gregtech new horizons continues to amaze. i never knew making a piston would be so convoluted

i think if the modpack used actual modern automation mods like TE and Minefactory but made their recipes equally bafflingly complex, requirements puzzlingly arcane, and processing times inordinately lengthy i'd be a lot happier, but these lovely IC2 interfaces and soundeffects are starting to vex

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i config-filed all that poo poo out

unfortunately you can't config file out all the orehunting, and the fact that there is inexplicably three identical types of lapis lazuli with different names

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Furia posted:

Any mods that make the nether less inhospitable (like have their own ores for crafting and stuff)? I was thinking about playing a game where the entire map is the nether.

Is there a seed for an all nether worldmap?

doesn't Natura do this? and i think tinker's construct has a nether version of its smelter you can make

it's a delightful lovely brown

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ok, so: new horizons bullshit again

where can i find zinc? i am in the middle of the EV age - am i expected to set up ore washing plants with no guidance from the quest book, or is the intended aim for me to pootle around at the bottom of the nether looking for sulfur veins?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

McFrugal posted:

You can get zinc from tetrahedrite or yeah, sulfur veins. Tetrahedrite spawns at the top of the nether, sulfur spawns at the bottom. Personally I would recommend searching for a sulfur vein because you're going to NEED that sulfur later on. You'll have to make several stacks of gunpowder at least to produce the ITNT required to compress plates to make a spaceship to get to the moon.

I guess you could circumvent this somewhat by making a drop tower but it's not a skyblock so it'll be slow.

...wait how are you in EV without zinc? Or without sulfur, for that matter? Or without an ore washing machine? Did you mean MV?

the first electric tier, immediately after steam

i thought EV stood for "early voltage". to clarify, i did not mean Extreme Voltage or whatever high-level fresh hell awaits me once i'm finished rendering down an entire continent of garnet sand into aluminium plates or whatever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh it's "LV" for low voltage, isn't it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

superlaminar fluiduct also has infinite throughput, and vacuum warp itemducts are instant although will only suck their servo's-worth of items at a time

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

President Ark posted:

does BFSR have any machines that can pull bodies of liquid out of the world and into containers/machines/tanks/etc

got some lakes of sewage around my base i'd like to get rid of

please leave my posting alone

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

Ultimately, it's a lot easier to get quality enchants. I did a level 30 enchant that got Fortune 3, Efficiency 4, Unbreaking 3 on my pick.

this is clearly overpowered and should be nerfed heavily

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm still playing New Horizons, and, occasionally, for variety, jamming masonry nails down my urethra

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i know it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of New Horizons, by Greg R. R. Martin?

(try Regrowth on FtB, it's not technically a skyblock as it in fact has lots and lots of blocks - but they're all fuckin' useless, so it has similar progression)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

congratulations on discovering a modpack more awful than new horizons

(it's day 190 and i've just got aluminium screws so that i can start thaumcraft and tinker's construct weapon forges)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I can't start thaumcraft yet though. I need an impregnated stick, which involves at least two more machines. I also needed a diamond lens, which is obtained by lathing a diamond plate, which involves sticking 750k eu and a diamond block (which needs a machine to craft) through a cutting machine

If I want a wrench to move my cables around I need stainless steel from an electric blast furnace

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it took me a while before i realised i was thinking of CovertJaguar and that jadedcat actually does the ag skies packs

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you like set goals, large infrastructure and sadomasochism then you may enjoy new horizons

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

new horizons is worse gregtech

apparently baby's first space race will come out at some point and that's supposed to be full of HQM quest goals encouraging you to investigate the mods that make up the pack, so that'll be good. otherwise, blightfall is basically the best questin' mod out there

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it sucks really bad!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i really enjoyed everything about the 40k modpack up until night fell, Doom monsters spawned everywhere, and i started getting beat on by everything to no discernible effect until suddenly my armour broke and i was one-shot

then i regenned at my spawn point and was one-shot again

and, well

again

i will try the pack again later. perhaps there is some way to dig a hidey-hole at night without any tools??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the "sucks really bad" was in relation to the hobbyist steam engine, which sucks really bad compared to TE machines

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it just sucks really bad

40k pack is fun but will take some getting used to, as i am coming straight off of new horizons and am pleasantly surprised i don't need to compress dense plates to turn into boltshell casings

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what does an endergenic generator do?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if anyone answers "generates RF" i will force you to play new horizons, FYI

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mensrea posted:

That's gotten everyone who tested it, usually the spot of redstone/dust next to it was the giveaway. I'll change it to something more obvious for the future.

I actually just released an update addressing everything people brought up to me, except the anime waifu skin. I guess it's grown on me? Frightening. Making easy mobs easier was a big part of that update, though, so hopefully they're not as ridiculous. If they are still a problem I will give them a movement penalty on easy.

Once you get to the Lost & Damned/Imperial bunker (either) you will be able to buy a lot of stuff that the Ad-mech doesn't provide. There's even some repeatable quests to get basics like food, water and ammo for cheapish stuff. The Ad-mech bunker is very dry and boring compared to the others.

The only way to preserve the energy packs is to R and swap in a fresh one before it's burned out. I'd like to do it differently but that's a limitation of the gun mod. I don't make the armor mod, but that doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe a warning when it's halfway? I'll talk to my buddy and see if he can do it. It's too easy to lose track of that in combat. I will gladly add inventory tweaks to the pack, as well. The NEI thing was a result of me trying to setup a keyboard layout that doesn't have a million overlapping keys. Technic doesn't let me include the keymappings in it so that didn't work out. The NEI stuff is a legacy of that, and I will change it.

the new update is good, fighting at night is now a "poo poo, if this keeps up i'm going to be overwhelmed eventually" experience rather than a "it's dark, i'm dead" one

also i appreciated being called a scrunt by the admech dude

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the reverse is also true

so sick of these bacon cheeseburgers... but... but what if i went old school...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HELLO YES DID SOMEONE SAY NEW HORIZONS

(all infusion cores need nether stars lmao)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Same irl

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh hey you've beeN mining, leT's discusS thE WAys to prOCesS ALL YOUR ORES

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

(or anti-towers)

i believe the term is "topographical anomaly"

(come to think of it, minecraft is already pretty Vandermeer. i mean, mooshrooms??)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Goon Danton posted:

Sounds reminiscent of Roadside Picnic. How accurate is that?

bit (lot) more body horror but there are tinges, i guess. i wouldn't really consider them that similar though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so the 40k blood and iron pack is actually pretty drat fun past the initial sprint-for-the-bunker phase. i absolutely love the fact that exploring and looting is actually worth your time, and that the enemies drop stuff you actually want

i have no idea where to find hemp, though. do i need to buy it?

i am also unsure as to whether i'm missing something obvious re: lighting up areas or whether i do indeed need to bootstrap my industrial base simply to make torches/lamps

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

possibly a daft question but does exportItem do what you're hoping it does and literally moves items out of inventories, or is there some other method you should be using?

it could just be something stupid like "exportItem gives you the data, to actually move stuff you need to use moveItem"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blood and iron is p fun, i've enjoyed running round looting weapons and shooting doom demons

i have however lost the urge to industrialise in it. i've been burnt out by gregtech new horizons and spoiled by minefactory/thermal expansion

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stressed By Minecraft Mods, Next Steps??

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

huh. if i hadn't adblocked the avatar i'd probably notice the multiposting more

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

People said that about 1.8 too. That modders would skip 1.8 and leapfrog to 1.9. Then it was that they'd skip 1.9 and only update straight to 1.10. Now it feels like most of them have just died out. It's like 1.8 was an extinction event, with so many people dropping support or losing interest in maintaining their mods, and now we slowly, gradually, have all new mods cropping up to replace them. It's taking time to build momentum but at this point I think it's almost a matter of letting go of all the old mods and ushering in the new wave.

yeah, didn't that exact thing happen with 1.2.5?

cf. the death of Redpower, obsolescence of Industrialcraft

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah sweet i'll just watch that half-hour video to find out what it does

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blightrise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

D34THROW posted:

Neither have I :gonk: I knew it was awful but goddrat.

"having a lot of stuff" isn't the problem. lots of those dusts, for example, can be electrolysed into different metals to provide easy sources of rare materials

the problem, the one that isn't initially conveyed by the big list of items, is that everything's a massive enormous loving grind