Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Meskhenet posted:

Is that the primitive tech kiln? with a hopper above and a heat hopper below?

as far as i can tell FTB:I removes the heat hopper

Vib Rib posted:

Conveyors can be built as soon as you get a rubber sapling. Put them on extract and they'll work just fine pulling only the finished products from kilns.

does the conveyor have to be under the kiln or can it just be leading away from it? i wasn't sure if the conveyor and the fire would be friends

EDIT: in case anyone else is wondering, conveyor doesn't have to be under the kiln but you do need the extractor on the right side

Patware fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

speaking of fluids, am i barking up the wrong tree by trying to use a gregtech (bronze) pipe to get water from a gregtech (bronze) drum into a gregtech small steam coal boiler

i am beginning to wonder if FTB: Interactions is the worst possible introduction to a mod as chunky as gregtech

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

rats!!

anyway i already set up a tinker tank after seeing it in your picture earlier for the steam. will the bronze pipes play nice with that at least

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For putting the steam in, yeah. For getting it out, no. You'll need some other type of pipe for that, or alternatively, you'll need to slap a seared/porcelain faucet on and use a redstone clock or something goofy like that to extract steam. I'm using enderio fluid conduits (the second tier kind since they have more throughput.) I think you get some as a quest reward for something or other, if you can't grunt em out yourself yet.

looks like i can get that working once i have an alloy smelter firing so i'm not far off

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Seared Tanks don't seem to confer liquid effects

At least I'm pretty sure i picked one up with lava in it without mitts and was just fine. granted then you're talking really low amounts of the fluid

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm really glad there's loopholes because gently caress the mitts

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i would love to see a mod with more of a whole 'villagers/settlers as people who do things for you' thrust that isn't minecolonies, which just requires so much space

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that's like a whole overhaul though, i mean something that could get slotted into other packs. more like you're hiring people, or building a little settlement that's to your design as opposed to being stuck with minecolonies and their houses that people get stuck in trying to leave at the same time

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

FTB:I time again:

the GTCE coke oven is baffling me and JEI only has recipes for getting creosote out of the improved coke oven. i looked around and saw that it needs a fire so i tried opening it up, putting a fire in the center block, closing it, nothin doin

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There's a coke oven hatch block. The quest book should have instructed you to make it. Slap that sucker in the center of one of the faces of the multiblock that isn't in use by the controller block. Use that to evacuate the creosote.

Had it in the wrong place. 'Centered on coke oven side' read to me as 'put this on the same side as the control'

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Xun posted:

Do you guys think Project Ozone will be good for teaching a kid modded Minecraft? My girlfriends little sister really wants to play but I don't really want to recommend you tubers for tutorials considering I can't vet all of their stuff.

i think packs like that are good for teaching, with the implication that you're having an active role in the process, rather than setting them down like "FIGURE IT OUT"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The very first time I set up an AE2 storage system, i sat and ground through it and did all the bullshit

Now I just cheat a basic creative storage (non-wireless) as one of the first things I do in any modpack when possible because it's just not fun to dick with storage

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Has anyone tried Astroblock?

If yes: Jesus god how is early mining supposed to work with anything approaching efficiency? I've found exactly one (1) ore block inside an asteroid so far aside from the occasional single ore in the single blocks floating around everywhere.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

at least betweenlands is novel. i'm really, really tired of Twilight Forest because everything's just big and takes forever for no reason

i'll never not cheat through the crimson towers or whatever they're called

EDIT:

McFrugal posted:

I don't remember any mandatory boss fights or dungeon crawling?

you have to do betweenlands stuff (but not much) to get access to various TCon functions, and you have to progress in TF through to the crimson towers to start in on power generation

you can then go harder on them to get the stuff to unlock journeymap earlier but that is optional

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

For Dungeons, Dragons and Space Shuttles, should I even bother mining/building, or is it completely a "get equipped and beat monsters up/bogart villages" mod? I'm starting off and god, there's a lot of poo poo in this. I don't wanna have to think too hard.

Also, why the gently caress does this take up 80% of my RAM!? I have 16 gigs, dammit!

lmao that explains why i can't even run it

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rynoto posted:

No idea where people are getting such bloated sizes from DD&SS as mine has been hovering ~10gb total used (with texture packs). It's also one of the fastest loading large packs I've played recently :shrug:

"i don't know why people think this is too large a pack, it's only using ten gigs of ram"

i veer away from kitchen sink modpacks but never really feel like i'm hurting for stuff to play with, so i think the balance is alright. my only desire is a solid progression pack that uses the more recent thaumcraft that isn't Interactions (or GregTech at all. I gave that a shot and boy is it just kind of exhausting for too long for me to get anywhere)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Specifically the overworld rocks are from Geolosys, I'm pretty sure.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

BlondRobin posted:

After DD&SS spawned a literal creeper in my fully lit, locked storeroom next to my chests

this kind of chicanery is why i always turn mobgriefing off

i don't have that kind of time

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm in a sevtech game (age 3) and trying to really drill down on Blood Magic in a way I hadn't before, but I feel totally lost at basically anything to do with Demonic Will and will types and how I'm supposed to be managing it. Like the most I've managed is plunking down a crucible and a crystallizer to grow some shards for crafting. The text in the book seemed to indicate that killing poo poo affected a chunk's Will aura, but when I made the aura gauge everything was all 0s regardless of how much murder I'd performed.

(Plus anyone have any more efficient Age 3 LP generation tips? I've just been using sacrifice runes and running pigs from a farm over)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

more sevtech fuckery: any way to set up pumping infinite water into a garden cloche? extremely early age 4, trying to set up an always-on biodiesel system

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rynoto posted:

A well (Age1 or 2, iirc) with two source blocks around it will generate infinite water and can be pumped out with a liquid hopper.

jeez i didn't even see that thing. thanks

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Am I seriously expected to dig my way upwards all the way to 255 in Stoneblock 2? Is there anything that makes it less tedious and awful?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I deleted my world out of frustration. This was completely unfun.

i don't know which bugged me more, the dig upwards or constantly blundering back down. that climb should've been a quarter of what it was, it would be a million times more convenient to have to dig downward to accommodate anything that needed height

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"welcome to our liquid page! imagine - all of these liquids can be yours"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that sounds extremely hyperbolic

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Related to modding, apparently Microsoft also released or is going to release deobfuscation maps for the Minecraft client, which cuts out quite a bit of the busywork that makes mod APIs like Forge possible.

Which is to say, it'll make poo poo a LOT easier going forward?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hopefully there's some stuff in the pillager code that makes it easier to do more dangerous worlds with interesting adventure progression

do 1.14 villagers still need mobgriefing on to breed? i know other parts of villager breeding were tinkered with

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

would it be accurate to say that doing heavy work in chisels and bits would require you to clear almost every other keybind out first, because it sounds like there's a lot of little functions

like it sounds powerful but it also sounds like you'll be begging for the ability to switch completely between keybind sets

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i just finished off that sevtech game at long last with my friend

boy it really falls apart at Age 5, huh?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Depends posted:

A friend and I were going to try this and I spawned near a village, walked in and started looting the houses when a dragon burrowed up out of the ground, cratered half the village and burnt the rest to ashes which spawned a ton of hostile fire dudes. It lagged the hell out of the server having thousands of blocks on the ground in the crater so now we're thinking it's not going to work out.
When we played Craft of the Titans 2 we had to shut down a lot of the dragon stuff because they were lagging things so badly and just made giant ugly spots everywhere. Not sure how to tweak them to be manageable for multiplayer but still a threat like they should be.

Yeah I was running around RLCraft to vet it a bit and some fire dudes were just kind of idly burning some ground and trees creating this absolutely unreasonable amount of lag

I'm getting the feeling Ice and Fire is a really bad mod

(it didn't help that RLCraft seems really... aimless. I can't particularly tell what there even is to significantly do.)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Can you just stick Mekanism pipes into an Embers setup?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

galacticraft planets really needed... new mobs

"all the old mobs with helmets" DOESN'T CUT IT

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there's Skillable, but i feel like all Skillable really accomplishes is to slow the game down

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Carcer posted:

I'm playing Sevtech: Ages and the natures compass tells me that the closest darklands is something like 1200 blocks away. Is there anything I can do other than to try and pack up my camp and just haul rear end?

as far as i can tell the closest darklands is always about that distance from spawn

so good luck

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hadn't heard of Craft of the Titans before but it looks interesting. How does CotT2 stack up to 1?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think my core problem with most of the "it's SO HARD" packs is they don't usually seem to have added... progression

like is the plan just that it's hard to get to the end and kill the dragon? is that all you got for me? you gotta step it up. i cracked open RLCraft and dicked around for a while but didn't have any clear idea what i was supposed to do that was actually interesting in between being killed by mobs wandering by, spawning a million miles away into the ocean, and wandering too close to any fire at all so that my game lagged catastrophically

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

abyssalcraft mostly makes me feel like i'm a little stressed and then i start hitting the other realms and it makes me feel like someone with a headache

and then i get an MRE that leaves a dirty plate and i wonder what the designer was even trying to do with some of this knock-on stuff that doesn't belong

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's dumb as hell to put that flight ability in that's expensive enough that it takes a little bit of work to get and then have it just not work in those places

it felt extra egregious in erebus since it wasn't like there were dungeons that flight broke like in the twilight forest

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Are there any mods that gently caress with the End with anywhere near the level that mods gently caress with the Nether?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm less thinking about "portals" and more "new biomes/mobs" like NetherEx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

So PO3 took about 35 minutes of loading and eventually just hung, so I had to force-close it.
Then I removed the mods that gives it an animated loading screen that you can play PONG on and it loaded in 6 minutes.

christ in heaven which mods do i delete for that