Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I like the name of the shop/restaurant on the page with Spidey telling everyone to get off the streets: NONOFUKU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?
You know as much as everybody else.

I was expecting Scott to get super-pissed once he teleported into the raft, a la Kirk in Star Trek VI after Spock beams him up off Rura Penthe just as Kirk was going to learn who set him up.

:argh: "Couldn't you have waited two seconds?!"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 6, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

Just found out about this today. I stopped reading Marvel back at the end of Secret Invasion, I'm kind of excited to see them doing a total reset. Hoping it will fare better than the new 52 ended up.

:ssh:
it's not a total reset

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Okay I'm a little out of the loop on what the sublines mean. Whats the difference between the two?
This would be good OP information:
(cribbed from Marvel's site)

"Last Days" will show several characters from Captain America and Ms. Marvel to Loki and Magneto in their final adventures before the Marvel Universe comes to an end in Secret Wars. They will expand on moments either briefly seen or not glimpsed at all in the main SECRET WARS series, allowing one last look at the past before the Marvel Universe moves forward.

"Warzones" takes place on the patchwork planet of Battleworld, but follows stories with more separation from the main SECRET WARS while providing building blocks for the future of the Marvel Universe.

"Battleworld" will be concerned with the infrastructure of the Battleworld as a whole. You'll see your favorite heroes and villains take on unfamiliar roles as well as revisit classic incarnations. Battleworld series contain stories that will directly affect the main story taking place in SECRET WARS and characters who will play a part in the larger event.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Okay thanks, clears things up. Secret Wars 1-8 should be standalone enough to carry on its own right?
I would imagine.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Isn't Secret Wars #2 supposed to be a mega sized book? Because I really can't loving wait.
It includes a breakdown of Battleworld, which is probably what's adding to the size.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

The X-Men one sounds plausible in comparison but the F4 sounds completely insane. There is like a 0% chance Hickman does that.
This is all speculation so I'm not spoiling--so since earth was destroyed, is there going to be ANOTHER terrigen mist outbreak around the globe once things are put back together? That's dumb.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I like the way there is 1 issue out, and people are already posting Internet rumours about how it's going to end.
Well, when covers have even been released for issues past the halfway point of the series already, you can't help but start thinking ahead.

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh my god, he's their uncle. (Great uncle?)
Grunkle Steve!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I haven't been reading the Avengers/New Avengers stuff, how lost will I be if I hop on this thing by just buying Secret Wars #1?
You will probably have no idea what's going on. If anything, start with the Secret Wars #0 issue, which tries to tell the whole story in a few pages. You'll still be way behind. If you're really interested in what's going on, read the A/NA runs.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 7, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

LordHippoman posted:

2. Who's been killed off already?
everyone.gif

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doc Aquatic posted:

I'm getting in on this, and I want to catch up on Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity, but the read order link isn't working. does anyone have a working version?
See the OP--all the links in that quoted post were busted.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

What a great time to be a Marvel fan!
This is very true.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I just came in to this knowing nothing about anything but holy poo poo why does Ultimate universe only have Iron Man and Spidey to fight? Is there some place that will give me a good run down of major events in that universe?
Jeph Loeb killed everyone. The end.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

That thing is gonna give me nightmares.

Please, spoil that storyline.
He gets eaten by the Blob, doesn't he.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

We don't know what/who/etc. creates (or created) Battleworld yet do we? I'm not sure if I missed something in a book or it's just still not explained.

And also was whatever Doom shot at the Beyonders at the end of NA33 supposed to be something specific or just a generic super bomb?
I'm pretty sure SW#2 will explain a lot about the origin of Battleworld.

We've agreed it's the Library.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Uuuuuuuuugh I know its only a few more days til the next issue but AAAAAGH I cant take this!

Are all the event books going to be on a weekly schedule?
I've got the release dates for upcoming issues in The Spreadsheet linked in the OP.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Bad News: The guide to Battleworld in Secret Wars #2 is just the same map we've all seen.

The Good News: 45 pages of straight Hickman/Ribic beauty with only one ad page in the mix.

I was not prepared :negative:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I feel like this should have been Secret Wars #1 and #1 should have been Avengers #45.
:agreed:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

So is it safe to assume Sue Valeria and Franklin got there first and the Rafts crash landed? Meaning our 616 heroes are gonna have to get through Battleworld to Doom? And does this mean Doom did beat the Beyonders or that they saw fit to give him power?

:shrug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Sue's group died. The Cabal and the 616 heroes on the lifeboat survived.
Yeah, there's not much point of a critical lifeboat if people off the lifeboat can survive. Sue, the kids, whoever else was on the chunk that got ripped off, got absorbed into the new milieu of Battleworld.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

head58 posted:

Sue and the others could just have been made by Doom out of whole cloth. I doubt Sinister and the Braddocks were in the piece that broke off.
I meant that we didn't see any version of any of the characters that knew about life in the 616/1610 who were locked safely away in the two liferafts. Val, Susan, Bentley, Strange, etc...these are not the same ones who we were dealing with at The End of All Things. We did not see any Reeds, Namors, Black Panthers, etc, either, and I'm sure they will be all Whatdafuk (to some degree) as much as The Cabal was. Their original uh, "essence"/616/1610-itude will still be there, unlike everyone we met in this issue who thinks they're native to Battleworld (Doom aside maybe who knows yet).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 13, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if the writers know black panthers aren't a real animal.
It was a melanistic leopard, okay?!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Marvin posted:

well, gently caress.

Oh no, more great comics to read!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Marvin posted:

How far back would you recommend someone begin, surely not Dark Reign!?
The Hickman FF/Dark Reign miniseries is one of the best parts! Dive in already, ya cheese!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

To be fair, starting from Dark Reign his FF run is 60 issues.
Pssh.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Secret Wars: Read Everything

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ZoCrowes posted:

I read the "She's with child!" in Pete Campbell from Mad Men's voice.
As well you should.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Still my favorite line delivery of the entire series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven't decided what others in getting. I'll probably stay away from anything spider man and check out the infinity gauntlet one.
I'm most interested in Weirdworld, X-Men '92, and Siege.

Seriously, everyone buy Siege.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 14, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what Ultimate comics set up Secret Wars? Or is it all on the 616 side?
Everything is contained within Avengers & New Avengers. The Cabal finds themselves in the Ult universe in...Avengers 41, I believe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So was there a hiatus in Ultimate comics then or did the storylines just ignore everything going on.
Anything Ult. U and incursion related would take place after everything else.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

So when do the first of the other secret wars comics that aren't the main series come out? #2 was great and all but all those other ones are what really sound amazing.
Here ya go. (just scroll down)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Elucidarius posted:

And judging by the cover of Secret Wars #3 they'll be in that issue. Granted that one is a variant, still.

http://www.newsarama.com/24424-exclusive-first-look-secret-wars-3-variants-by-bianchi-sauvage-more.html
Yeah, that's a Bianchi piece that connects every cover together.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Here's the first 3 Bianchi covers together. #4 onward haven't been shown yet.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roman Herbom posted:

Is Hickman writing anything besides the main book?
No. (at least nothing has been solicited yet)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TNG posted:

No, Tony lit Steve's head on fire with a repulsor but Steve kept coming and then a helicarrier fell on both of them.
And then the planet blew up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Well, if you dig Hickman's Avengers, you're gong to love his Fantastic Four. If you're interested in Dr Strange specifically, he's not in enough comics to begin with, but in random order you should check out: The Oath, X-Statix Present: Dead Girl, The Original Lee/Ditko run of Strange Tales, Matt Fraction's Defenders, Most every other run of Defenders, Triumph and Torment, the Doc Strange and Doc Doom team-up.
My favorites, bolded. Fraction's Defenders is just 12 issues and wholly self-contained, and T&T is a damned great oversized one-shot that everyone should read.

VVV
Seconding!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 19, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

Wonderman status: unknown.
Known! Dead with everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I'm not sure if it is digital but there was a printing of it a year or two back so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
I saw a whole pile of the new softcovers at the LCBS the other week. Such a good book.

• Locked thread