Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

burps with so much mass the walls shook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like the inventory better than Witcher 2 inventory. I had a bad habit of accidentally unequipping stuff in the second game(usually my boots). I'm curious what people consider a good inventory system though.

human revolutions tetris inventory was good, mainly because it trod a line between having enough stuff to be interesting without being overwhelming

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Horse races...not so good.

i miss red dead, where if a horse pissed me off i could just shoot it in the head

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zoo06 posted:

There are a lot of North American sounding woodpeckers in the mountains of Skellige.

my girlfriend is just baffled by the accents in this game after watching me play it for like 10 mins

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

No, I instantly pointed out that they have some pretty reprehensible practices, like slavery, and you ignored that. That's when I brought up pedophilia.

Also, I shouldn't have called you guys neocons, what's really bothering me is the explicit fascism. When did this board turn into 4chan?

you need to go take a breather or run some laps or something bud

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lol at geralt gettin randy at a funeral

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

Yeah, combat is only difficult if you don't understand the tools at your disposal. Yrden is great if you're fighting a big dude like a golem or wyvern (or anything incoporal) because it slows them to a crawl. Igni is great CC. Axii is too, except with humans which it lets you instantly murder with a high chance. Quen lets you make mistakes in combat and figure out what an enemy can do.

That doesn't even count bombs, decoctions, etc. I have a decoction that heals me when I deal damage. You have counters to nearly everything the game throws at you from the outset. Geralt is hilariously powerful.

if only it wasnt such a chore to use all the tools at your disposal

i love this drat game but its inventory is super mouse and keyboard which isnt a super good thing

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

There are some real improvements that could be made for certain. It's telling how much I'm enjoying the game despite annoyances that would completely ruin another game for me. It's some good poo poo.

i just ignore the stuff that annoys me and its worked out pretty well so far. i dont know that ive used a single bomb for instance

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I tend to refuse money if someone gave me money first, unless it was a contract.

its not like theres any shortage of it, and this game is pretty good about repaying small kindnesses out of nowhere

also if youre having inventory overload issues, go to the vagelbund estate and do the horse races there. youll get nicer saddlebags

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Beeez posted:

So, question from someone who hasn't played it yet. There's a lot of talk of "using all the tools at your disposal", but people are also saying one should pick a specific "build" to use. How are you supposed to use all the tools at your disposal if you're only supposed to focus on one branch of the tree?

the truth is once you get a feel for the games mechanics you can just wade into the fray, tools be damned

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

You can challenge almost every single shopkeeper and blacksmith in the second zone and onwards. Additionally there will be "Experienced" Gwent players you can win unique cards from, you'll pick up the quest for these from a board in one of the main hubs.

its worth noting that the experienced players that you get good cards from are fairly easy while random blacksmith in bfe will gently caress your poo poo up on occasion

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

how me a frog posted:

The loving beggars in this game. You want 50 crowns are you high?

i dont think much thought went into the games economy which is odd considering theres 2 currencies and the ability to exchange them

random bandit has 100 crowns while a village scrapes together 20 for paying you to kill a dragon or some such

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I apologize for the dumb question, but I'm truly torn.

I've been watching BBC America and I swear to you this game is in every. single. commercial break.

I loved Shadow of Mordor so much I actually finished it. Would I enjoy W3 if I a) haven't played the first two and b) loved the combat in SoM?

I want to buy this. I don't want to regret it because the world is awesome and the story is ok (I'm not so concerned about the story) but the combat isn't engaging.

I'm considering the XBox One version because my PC can't handle it and I understand there's a patch either out or due out very soon.

Advise me, please. I don't have a lot of money to spend after just buying PCars. I genuinely miss SoM.

E: It really does look gorgeous in the store. I don't mind some grinding or a learning curve, I'm more concerned about the actual gameplay (combat).

this is a few pages back but i play it on the xbone and i havent had any issues at all except it crashed one time

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

If its glow is yellow,
It belongs to me, goodfellow.

lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i really need a few gwent decks irl stat

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

I bet someone is selling the xbone collector edition cards on ebay.

The writing is consistent but the gameplay in Witcher 1 is balls.

poo poo man, theyre like 100 bucks. i like the game quite a bit but thats just egregious

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

Who the hell keeps a broken rake in a tiny box on their dresser?

peasants. thats apparently why theyre peasants

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Archimago posted:

If I could, I'd replace all the broken rakes with assembled rakes to help alleviate Peasant Misery.

they have plenty of time to play an arcane card game. theyre good

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

you think universals exist as real and distinct constructs?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Andrast posted:

Witcher 3 would probably be a better game if it didn't have levels and experience at all.

i kind of agree. or give you a skill point to spend every level and thats it

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The Get Junior quest has grown so convoluted I don't remember why I need to get him. dijkstra has already told me what I want to know.

that whole part of the game kind of lost me too. i almost think the complexity of that part was intentional

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly I think the English VAs for this game are pretty weak. Yeah the guy who does Geralt has gotten better, but he's still not great. The Dandelion guy manages to completely pull me out of the game every time he talks. Ciri's voice actor is doing a lousy English accent for reasons???

the ones that use american accents are pretty weak. dandelion in particular is loving out there

really only geralt triss and dandelion are rough. most characters are noninvasive at worst

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Also, drunk Geralt voice is pretty great

whoever wrote that part has been drunk a time or two

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Where is a barber? I still haven't run into one.

theres one scissors icon in oxenfurt and multiple in novograd and skellege. idk how to lay it out better than that.

the one in oenfurt is nearish the swordsmith

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

beat the game a few hours ago. tough, tough ending. tied up everything nicely and left room for minor further adventures.

especially impressed with the way they handled ciri

it was a tight ending a la harry potter

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Love the game, and the series. I do consider it bad that in the "simulate a witches 2 save" questioning, I remembered absolutely none of my decisions.

thats because unlike bioware, they made their previous game pretty much worthless plot wise to its sequel

and they were wise to do so because witcher 2 involved 100% too much politicking

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

btw i got the xp issue really early on and beat the game at level 35. its really a non issue

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wachepti posted:

It would be cool if more people acknowledged, even if it was just a bit of dialogue here or there, your actions from the previous games, but it's not a big deal.

i agree, it was very odd that saskia didnt at least come up in conversation

really though i liked witcher 2 a lot and played it through twice but i frankly couldnt tell you a drat thing that the game was about in hindsight

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Get Junior question

There's a hanging woman in Junior's room, shes highlighted red but I can't find any interaction, am I missing anything?

i had the same thing happen. i just ignored it and everything seemed to be fine

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Drifter posted:

Ah man, that's too bad. Witcher 2 is a gooood game.

hes right about the prologue being awful. definitely worth sticking through it though

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

So Polygon posted this opinion piece about the lack of people's of color in Witcher 3 - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

why would you post this

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

We have people using realism as a reason for it, buddy.

I just think it's funny that the same arguments once castrated are now being used in defense of the witcher because it's a goon darling. That inconsistency is funny as hell and I've noticed it for a lot more than ethics in ethnics.

the old castrated arguments (lol) are tiresome as gently caress and normal people got sick of being browbeaten by weirdo busybodies like you over poo poo that doesnt matter

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Funnily enough I was one of the people getting browbeaten for not caring enough. :ironicat:

ya know, i believe it. unfortunately

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lambert got himself some of that keira metz so hell be alright

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Spite posted:

Somewhere I read that witches were only created like 200-300 years ago. That seems suspiciously short considering Geralt is like 100 and isn't considered old. That means Vesemir is either one of the first generation or close to it since he's like 200+ years old from what I recall.

somebody said that vesemir saw the golden age of witchers. as hes 2 or 3 hundred years old, that suggests to me that witchers are a somewhat recent phenomenon

that assumes that the build up was a similar length to the decline but who cares

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Badly Jester posted:

there are bug again of the lord undvik!! what fix!!! nothing LOL

new thread title if ever there was one

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Levantine posted:

I've been in Skellige for a while now and fully transitioned from Fantasy Detective to Deep Sea Salvager. There is SO much money to be had boating around and raiding smuggler caches and spoils of war. There's something super relaxing about zipping around on a boat too. Skellige is loving gorgeous on top.

the skellege question marks are one of my gripes with the game. i did like a dozen of them and decided the rest werent worth the hassle when i already had kile 15k gold. its just filling in the map for its own sake which is a rare spot of lazy in this game

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

alright so nerds riddle me this:

is maximum difficulty fun or just aggravating?
i really love this game and want to replay it with more challenge but i dont play video games for a boring frustrating time

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

alright cool, thanks guys

i played through on normal to enjoy the story and i never had much of an issue with anything within reason. i also did the whole pre battle prep just out of fun, so im not new to that.

i didnt find combat frustrating but it wasnt smooth either. look at it this way: i rolled laterally a lot

idk i might just let the game marinate for a while and hit it up when the first major dlc comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Meiteron posted:

Haha ok I just started the Tower Outta Nowheres quest in Skellige

So a mage is trapped in his mage's tower because his Defensive Regulatory Magicon is running haywire.

And the solution is to find Gottfried's... something, I was too busy noticing the initials make the acronym GOG and having the eureka moment.

Edit: Oh there we are, Gottfried's Omni-Opening Grimoire.

Are we taking the piss a little bit, CDPR?

that quest is just a good time adventure, up to and including the end