Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Lareine posted:

Anyway, unrelated question. There is a monster den near the Holy Lake (the lake that Lebioda adherents toss their stuff into, not the one with the hermit and the sword.) There is a fleder and a garkain in it along with a dead guy with a diary talking about caving. High up in the cave is a ledge with an illusion but I cannot see a way to get up there. Does this become accessible later in the main quest or what? Is there another entrance? What's up with this?

Anyone? I had the impression that illusions were always either hiding something important or something cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

ESDK posted:

You will go through that illusory wall from the other side in the course of the scavenger hunt for the griffin grandmaster gear.

That's the only one I haven't done yet on account of not feeling like taking down Mont Crane.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Sindai posted:

Does this work for both if you have it on either sword? I always wondered since it doesn't really make a lot of sense as a sword rune.

I think it does considering it works on armor too. Don't rely on me for this though.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Geralt's house could really use a few more candles. So dark, you need to use a torch to fully appreciate your armors and swords.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Dettlaff can suck my dick. gently caress him and his goddamned bats.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

So I got the best ending in Blood and Wine. What happens to Syanna? They reconcile and hug and.... then what? Was she imprisoned? Pardoned? Somewhere at the palace?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I think it's assumed she gets imprisoned but like probably in a comfy room with guards around it. No way would Henrietta let Syanna die for her crimes in that ending and I doubt she'd just get thrown into a regular prison cell.

What irks me is that the duchess has nothing to say about it. About anything really. Nothing about me killing the beast, reconciling with her sister, nothing. Also, Damian's face went back to the way it was before the attack.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:confused: Did your game bug out maybe? She absolutely said in front of everyone that Syanna was responsible for the murders and poo poo, but she also said something about "my heart cannot allow her to be put to death. What do you say Witcher" and then I got to say what I thought about it, and then the two of them hugged and then it's just kind of assumed she got sent to jail but everyone lived (besides Detlaff). As for Damian, his face was all hosed up the entire time after the attack for me. I was even able to comment on it before the trial, and it was there the whole time during the trial. Also the beast killing and all that happens before the trial I believe, you're given a medal and everything. And 5000 big ones.

I meant after all of that. If you go to the Palace after the ending and talk to the Duchess, you get nothing new to talk about and Damian's model is still the old one.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

I would definitely make a stop at the Cockatrice for another bowl were I in Toussaint.

I guess if noble's bodies didn't happen to have ruined the catch that day...

I'd tell you to do the hare pate next but I don't know where you'd get the rabbit.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

It is so good! Even the picky eaters in the house loved it, just didn't let them see what it's made out of. I live in Florida and just bought a big bag at the super market for $9. I'd double the crayfish if I made it again.

I haven't found that one. Was thinking E'toule Blanch pasta next. Really simple and already have everything I'd need.

Yeah it's nerdy as hell but I love to cook and really got into this game.

This is the only game is seen recipes where I pondered the ingredients and thought "that actually sounds really good".

The nearby butcher does have rabbits though.

The recipe should also be at the Cockatrice around where you found the chowder one.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Is there anywhere in Velen/Novigrad you can farm Nekker hearts?

There is a cluster of nekker nests in some Velen fields east of Reardon Manor. Kill them but don't blow up the nest. Leave, rinse, repeat.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Oh God, after I finish all these Points of Interest in Skellige, I'll have nothing left to do.

Except maybe start a new game. Bad Dad Geralt, here we come!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

While B&W overall was excellent (and Touissant as a setting was amazing) I found that the story kind of went downhill once Syanna was found. In general she seemed too petulant and obnoxious to lead anybody. I did find it funny that you have the option of banging her. Yeah lady, I'm really going to get romantically involved with you after literally watching the horrible, bloody aftermath of your last relationship not 30 minutes earlier. I also rolled my eyes hard at the duchess asking HER for forgiveness. Did you forget about how she brought a legion of bloodthirsty monsters down on your citizens? Whatever, it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the expansion overall

To be fair, that wasn't her fault. She was totally willing to go see Dettlaff but it's kind of hard to do that when you are imprisoned. The gruesome murders of four prominent knights and the plan to murder the duchess herself? Yeah, that was totally all her.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Main issue is I can't get away from those bats and he 2 hits me. My whole build is based on being aggressive and you can't hit him until he stops flying. Long fight=dead cat witcher. Yeah those bats take 60% of my life bar and I can't dodge them.

Getting 2-hit is nothing. Those goddamned bats were instakilling me until I hosed around with mutations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Earwicker posted:

while we are talking merchants here's a question: why is there some sketchy guy by the docks on Novigrad selling empty bottles for 100 crowns each? there are tons of empty bottles all over the gameworld, for free. what am I missing?

That's Odrin. The same Odrin that's in TW2 and the same Odrin that's on all the notice boards. Or rather, Odrin's friend. The actual Odrin is too busy being passed out to actually sell bottles.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

10 Beers posted:

So, it's 4th of July weekend, everyone is setting off fireworks, and one of my dogs is terrified of them, so I'm staying up with him. I just finished my NG+ main game, dug into the DLC just a bit... And decided to start a new game from the beginning. I already have 230 hours in the game. Do,do I have a problem?

Also, honest opinions here, I love this game, will I like Witcher 2? I downloaded it when it was free on Xbox One, but I've not touched it. Would I be better off replaying 3 and just reading up on 2?

I loved Witcher 2 but be warned, it does have a bit of a difficulty curve. It's also not open world so you need to keep that in mind.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Holy poo poo

Is 254 hours astonishing or something? Because uh, I've got 540.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Or a few days ago: I stumbled into a bookshop and the owner said that someone left a note for me. I wonder who it could be? Searched the books and eventually found it signed by someone I hadn't heard of, apparently he was in the first game. They may as well leave out quests like this because I thought maybe it was Iorveth or Saskia or some other random NPC I may have remembered from the Witcher game that people actually played.

Hey, gently caress you too, buddy. Without W1, you don't get Shani either.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

the number's not too impressive but considering he just started his playthrough a little over 2 weeks ago then yeah, it's pretty crazy.

Oh, that's a little bit different.

In regards to playtime, I'm using the Steam one. I know that one can be iffy if programs don't completely close but I believe I played around that much.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about Jad Karadin? Or was he an exception because of his crime connections keeping the haters away?

I'm pretty sure it was the massive amount of money he had.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I just got a 12 MB update. What? Something to do with the GOTY version?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

poor life choice posted:

What is that tattoo. :stare:

You don't know about the glory that is the Blue Stripes tattoo?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The saga books are at their best when they read like a short story collection and jump over months or years to pick up a new part of the story.

I disagree with the guy who said Sapkowski is best at world-building. He only occasionally explains anything about the world by having his characters do a text dump dialog paragraph. What he's good at is atmosphere. From reading the books I couldn't really tell you where Temeria is, but I have a good idea of the feel of places like Brokilon and Kaer Morhen.

A lot of it capitalizes on pop culture the audience is already familiar with, as people have said. They're very "pop" books. I don't really need to be told what a ruined castle or a narrow bridge over a ravine or a dragon look like. A brief description is sufficient, because they're already pop culture icons.

Trading in icons lets him spend his energy describing the way the sunlight twinkles on the silver studs in Geralt's gauntlets or the shade of Ciri's eyes, or Triss watching Geralt's body language like a hawk, or just spend more time on dialog. It's an old trick and it works well here since it is such an openly referential and pop story. It makes the books shorter too.

He's also good at tugging the heart-strings suddenly, like having Geralt just sit down and read letters from Ciri while she's away at school for a few pages between battles and mysteries.

I think those are all strengths of the game too and W3 is a great adaptation to game form.

I had no idea Triss had been horribly burned at Sodden and went through the magical version of multiple reconstructive surgeries. Is that referenced in the games anywhere?

I think only in the Character screen.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Shani is way too well-rounded to be with Geralt. If you hook up with her in Witcher 1, in Witcher 2 it says their relationship only lasted a few weeks since Geralt is an awful boyfriend.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

That Motherfucking Swamp™

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

Wow, okay. I always came in on that quest as his friend lay dead and he was looking for bandages for him. I guess I keep arriving too late because I'm a bad witcher. :(

Not that friend, the other friend with the bow.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

In the same vein as that, I love the bit in blood and wine where Regis starts to explain that the redhead at the orphanage is also a vampire, and Geralt cuts him off with "yeah, figured it out already"

Kudos to the writers for giving the player a little credit.

They were still a little late on the take for O'Dimm's final riddle. I mean, it's OBVIOUSLY a mirror. I'm poo poo at riddles but that one was easy as hell.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Follow the quest line to assassinate Radovid. Make sure you don't shove Dijkstra when he demands you hand over Phillipa. If you want total Nilfgaardian victory and not just getting Radovid out of the way read the second line

Read first line before you mouse over this: Don't side with Dijkstra once Radovid is dead.

You're acting like anybody would side with Djikstra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Quick question about the Witcher 2. Is it open world, or semi open world? Or is it more linear levels, err...like FF 10? Not sure what to use as an example. I haven't started playing yet because I figure I should finish Blood and Wine. I figure I could have just googled but I don't want any big spoilers, plus it's just fun talking about The Witcher anyway.

I got that combat mod installed and working, and the game autoset to ultra or whatever settings which surprised me a bit because I only have a 730GT.

Not open world. You've got 3 acts. Act 1, you get Flotsam, a forest and a swamp. Act 2, you either get an army camp or a Dwarven town with a bit of mountains. Act 3, you get Loc Muinne and some more mountains.